• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GhostWire: Tokyo PS5 - First Hands-On Preview

it's not. the final version of the current beta update will release next month and has no VRR feature yet. so this will not be available at launch
First of all the next major update will probably release this month at the end of March.Sony kept the latest beta update for about a month and a half until release it as stable.We are already 1 month and 5 days in the beta release(February 9).Second they needed to wait until Bravia TV 's receive their VRR update which they did at early March.Third and final VRR doesn need to be in the beta.It is called beta for a reason,to test some features.VRR doesn't need testing at all on the GPU(console)side,means the PS5.VRR only needs testing on the panel side(TV,MONITOR)because there are many different panel types with different technology and SOC's.The most work is done by the panel,the GPU just sends the signal from the hdmi board.VRR is coming very soon my friend take it or leave it!

CamHostage

It's not exclusive to the PS5, it's coming to XSX after a year

Well, it's allowed to come to other platforms after the exclusivity period of the original contract is over. It's not announced for any other platform at the moment (which is normal for any exclusivity deal.) In all likelihood, Bethesda will have the game ported over to the console of the company who bought their whole business, but just for clarity's sakes, nothing official about future plans has been made public...

...I'm partially sold on the game. The atmosphere looks really nice but the combat has yet to impress me.

Will be curious to see how it plays out, but it seems more like RPG combat than "combat"-combat, if you think of it like that? It's realtime action per se, but the gameplay almost reminds me of like the active turn based system of like a Mystery Dungeon (though enemies are not stuck waiting for the turns, so it's not really the same) where you are moving and aiming but combat factors in time and choice of resource/cooldown in each strike. So instead of hammering enemies until you're out of fingerbullets, you use this spell and that spell and chain together attacks to get to the core or bind enemies or whatever's going on here (...not that I get this game either? feels like it needs a demo, though it'd have to be an awesome demo since sometimes demos of unique combat systems do more damage than good because you never get used to it in the demo length,) and you're thinking out your moves a little more than traditional have-gun-will-travel FPS gameplay. Maybe?

Last edited:

Karak

Karak Karak after ubisofts shitty fov of far cry 6 on ps5 i want to know...does this game have a fov slider since you mentioned they have lots of settings ?
Unless I missed it no. BUT I can say I had no issues here with that personally. As in I had no issue with the view, not with the option missing.

SLB1904

Banned
on a blackout for this but 19gb? is this a short game?
GJ8PLvt.gif

Karak

FYI as I discussed in the hands on. there are
Quality
Performance
HFR Quality - I saw tearing
HFR Performance - Also saw tearing
HFR Quality VSYNC
HFR Performance Vsync
as options in the game

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
they are not called VRR modes, they are called "High Frame-Rate"

•Quality Mode
•Performance Mode
High Frame-Rate Quality Mode
High Frame-Rate Performance Mode

oh sorry, I got confused by the post in the thread. Thanks for the clarification

GhostOfTsu

Banned
The game looks incredible. If I was Sony I would lock it up another year on PS Now and then give it away on PS Plus. Day 1! 🤩

Will be curious to see how it plays out, but it seems more like RPG combat than "combat"-combat, if you think of it like that? It's realtime action per se, but the gameplay almost reminds me of like the active turn based system of like a Mystery Dungeon (though enemies are not stuck waiting for the turns, so it's not really the same) where you are moving and aiming but combat factors in time and choice of resource/cooldown in each strike. So instead of hammering enemies until you're out of fingerbullets, you use this spell and that spell and chain together attacks to get to the core or bind enemies or whatever's going on here (...not that I get this game either? feels like it needs a demo, though it'd have to be an awesome demo since sometimes demos of unique combat systems do more damage than good because you never get used to it in the demo length,) and you're thinking out your moves a little more than traditional have-gun-will-travel FPS gameplay. Maybe?

I know what you mean. Feels a bit too grounded, robotic, for something thats supposed to be real-time and its why it is indeed giving dungeon-crawling first person tbrpg vibes. Maybe its due to not working well with the controller. I imagine this baby on PC will be more fast paced tho enemies still seem to just casually walk on you. It's my biggest concern, that this game feels a bit static in combat. Shooting pew pews from your hands is something that I can see wearing off real quick. At the very least I was hoping it would be something more survival/horror/atmospheric but it looks just atmospheric and thats about it. I hope theres boss fights and I hope the harder challenges are actually hard.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Only thing annoying is the running. I hate games where you're clearly stressing your body by "running" but the distance moved doesn't match the audio and physical cues. Just don't have it at all in it.

. . .everything else looks nice and slick.

CamHostage

I know what you mean. Feels a bit too grounded, robotic, for something thats supposed to be real-time and its why it is indeed giving dungeon-crawling first person tbrpg vibes.

Yep, dungeon-crawly. Like, even though it's a city, locations are cordoned off into alleys or defined blocks, and although there are enemies attacking from rooftops, I haven't seen much by way of vertical variation. There's also no head-bob to the FPS camera, it's almost digital in the character movement. (It's a weird disconnect IMO that you see the hands and are in the character's head but then the movement doesn't have those familiar tricks of first-person player integration, but it seems intentional and old-school dungeon crawler by design. Also, may end up with less motion-sickness, which might be a factor for the Japanese audience this targets since FPS isn't a common genre in games built for them.)

So probably as soon as people look at it as not an FPS, the better you can start to understand what it is rather than isn't, though jury is still out on how those choices work out as a fun full game, hopefully it all melds right.

Last edited:
For some reason the main character seems tall an short at the same time with this first person view...its kind of odd lol.

Im gonna get it, I like what I've seen since it was first unveiled and I like weird games lol

Shmunter

Not seeing any environmental interaction. Shot should be blowing up and everything flying around, ala control. Common man

Notabueno

Banned
Another reason why I put my PS5 in the trash (not literally, tried to sell it but no friends or colleagues wanted it, so it's taking the dust in it's box somewhere).

What a travesty of console, of which the point was specifically that you get the most optimised, best compromise version for the standard hardware and system that they have unlike PC crap.

The PS5 really is a loser's console huh...

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Ghostwire: Tokyo release date is soon and it's a very different game to the one we thought we would be getting. This isn't a bad thing at all, there is much more to the Ghostwire: Tokyo world than we expected and much more depth.

As well as magic, ghosts, combat, Fluffy-tailed Tanukis, cat merchants, cursed dolls, spirits, dogs, and terrifying Japanese masks there is alot to like about this game.

Last edited:

TonyK

Another reason why I put my PS5 in the trash (not literally, tried to sell it but no friends or colleagues wanted it, so it's taking the dust in it's box somewhere).

What a travesty of console, of which the point was specifically that you get the most optimised, best compromise version for the standard hardware and system that they have unlike PC crap.

The PS5 really is a loser's console huh...
I never thought I would be so happy being a loser.

Arioco

Yeah thats my channel. Thank you !

Thanks for subscribing to my channel

Oh, thank you for your work. Your channel is one of the best on YouTube to watch HDR content. I'd recommend everyone to have a look at your channel, I love it and I always watch your videos.

GAF, support that channel, seriously guys, it's worth it, believe me!

Ev1L AuRoN

I'M playing on Steam and having a lot of fun, the game even has Dual sense suport on PC. Everything works as it should. Too bad the game suffers from shader cache stutters, its not as bad as Elden Ring but it's still distracting, hope they fixed the issue soon.

Top Bottom