• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI article lists Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain as PS4/XBO, nothing confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Smiley

Jul 17, 2013
Good. I think it's healthier for the industry if all developers and publishers take the plunge into this new gen now and stop languishing in the previous one that went on way longer than it should have done. Embrace the eighth generation of console!
From Japanese developers no less. Lead the way boys.

Ricky_R

Dec 28, 2010
This makes me think that MGSV was probably gonna be next gen only at some point, GZ and all. But then Konami interfered and decided that the prologue (at least) was going to be sold separately so they could capitalize on last gen's install base.

Sojgat

Jan 29, 2012
Smaller install base for the main game... paid demo makes more sense now.

I predict delays.

Thorakai

Aug 9, 2007
Just like how Metal Gear Solid 4 pushed me to get a PS3, Metal Gear Solid V will push me to get a PS4. Can't wait.

BattleMonkey

Mar 5, 2009
LOL!

Then why make Ground Zero for 360/ps3?

That being said, Huzzah for not being shackled to last generation consoles for the development of the new MGS.
Because money. By the time V comes out, 360/PS3 userbase will have already largely moved on.

gundamkyoukai

Aug 30, 2009
Exactly what I'm thinking.

I mean, I was going to pick it up on PS4 anyways (already have it pre-ordered, actually), but still.
It depends on when TTP coming out , last gen software seem to be drying up faster than anyone thought .
The longer the game takes to come out the less sense it makes to put it on last gen .

Conflict NZ

Jul 19, 2007
Thank god, by the time it comes out PS4+XBO install base should be 25+ million, more than enough to justify it.

recks

Jul 20, 2011
They don't confirm it's just on next-gen.

"As for when the core MGS V title will arrive on new systems. and whether it will hit last-gen consoles, is still a mystery"

They also don't list PS3 and 360 on the game info page. But no one from Konami/Kojima Productions states it's next-gen only.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Jun 16, 2013
They don't confirm it's just on next-gen.

"As for when the core MGS V title will arrive on new systems. and whether it will hit last-gen consoles, is still a mystery"

They also don't list PS3 and 360 on the game info page. But no one from Konami/Kojima Productions states it's next-gen only.
Damn. Shut her down mods.

wrowa

Jul 26, 2006
Germany
The RAM difference between the generations is enough to critically affect game design.
Wasn't Phantom Pain supposed to release this year? If they cancel the current gen version so late into development, I doubt that you are going to see it affecting game design "drastically."

That is, if Kojima doesn't decide to delay the game to coincide with this.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Jun 16, 2013
Wasn't Phantom Pain supposed to release this year? If they cancel the current gen version so late into development, I doubt that you are going to see it affecting game design "drastically."

That is, if Kojima doesn't decide to delay the game to coincide with this.
It's never had a release hint at all, not even a placeholder.

Moongazer

Nov 20, 2013
Really nice to hear that Phantom Pain will be for next gen consoles only.

Hopefully it would allow KojiPro to take better advantage of the new hardware especially since the game won't be out till next year at the earliest.

Moon_frogger

Jul 22, 2013
Prince Edward Island
If the initial scope of the project included 360 and ps3 then cancelling them now will not drastically affect the fundamental design. In other words, it won't be 'freed' from last gen constraints outside of a complete redesign and massive delays. But I call bs on this anyway.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
If the initial scope of the project included 360 and ps3 then cancelling them now will not drastically affect the fundamental design. In other words, it won't be 'freed' from last gen constraints outside of a complete redesign and massive delays. But I call bs on this anyway.
One whole year from today, you know this game will still not be out, right? They have time.

Also "next gen design" is vague and abstract. You can take most games and break them down to require less powerful hardware.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Jun 2, 2009
Ground Zeroes looking more and more like an anomaly every hour.

Replicant

Mar 20, 2007
Tease those last-gen owners with the paid demo then make the game only for next-gen. Kojima is a shrewd businessman.

Jun 2, 2009
Sounds good to me. I'm quite happy to leave last gen behind me, and the strong launches of both XB1 and PS4 show that a lot of other people are too.

KageMaru

Oct 6, 2010
I still find this hard to believe unless the game is years away. They already have the engine up and running on current Gen consoles, so unless the scope is really that large, there's no reason to leave out those extra sales.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Oct 29, 2006
Good and exciting news. Kojima needs to go wild with PP in terms of scope and ambition after GZ. I wonder if it'll still be 60fps.

ToraShiro

NISA
Jul 30, 2013
Santa Ana, CA
If this is, what you say, how it is phrased on the GI article, this is false. The Phantom Pain is coming out on Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation 4.

Dunno how that got mixed up.

Revven

Jul 24, 2011
If this is, what you say, how it is phrased on the GI article, this is false. The Phantom Pain is coming out on Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation 4.

Based ToraShiro with the confirmations <3

Persona7

Banned
Sep 24, 2007
Oregon

Pretty much everything surrounding these two games is confusing and mixed up.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009

It hurts to live

RPGCrazied

Oct 14, 2007

Yay!! And Konami rep saves the day. Thanks for clarifying, now I can stop pouting. lol

RK9039

Aug 23, 2012

Good, because I'm not buying any of the next gen consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.