• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI article lists Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain as PS4/XBO, nothing confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're about 18-24 months away from PP hitting stores, and people seriously think it's gonna be a 360/PS3 game?
Just like MGS4 should have been PS3 and PS3, right? :/

They're doing a physical release for GZ in the west for Xbone and PS4.

Hells YES we got physical copies of GZ/TPP for PS4. I thought they were crazy when they said digital and totally pushed for disc copy. It's kind of bucking the digital future, but I like having something up on the shelf (as I assume you do). Don't know what region you are in but North America has GameStop/Amazon/BestBuy all set up with physical pre-order plus a few more (GZ, TPP doesn't have pre-order yet).

Thank you Ridley and Tora for the good news. Wasn't going to stop me from getting it, but it did seem odd. And good assumption; I am big on physical media, and will be for as long as possible.

jaypah

I assumed that the prologue was cross-Gen and the main game was "next-Gen". I guess I didn't pay enough attention. Story of my life, admittedly.

Caffeine

We're about 18-24 months away from PP hitting stores, and people seriously think it's gonna be a 360/PS3 game?
Just like MGS4 should have been PS3 and PS3, right? :/

ps3 games will still be coming out in 24 months from now. i love how everyone assumes the console is dead because the new one has arrived the 10 year plan is still in full force.

rob305

mgs 2 had the tanker which was the demo and mgs 3 had the Virtuous mission which was the demo.

it would be a decent indication based on the past games as to why it should be there but who knows.

Well it was a demo and not a game released almost at full price. This thing shouldn't be selling for more than $20

Angelcurio

ToraShiro, now that you are posting here, what can we do to receive Shikawa's art as a cover for the physical version of Ground Zeroes, even if it's only a reversable option? I'm not a big fan of the Big Boss render cover, and i even bought the CE of MGS4 because if came inside a box with Shinkawa art, instead of the awful Snake render that the normal versions came with.

Just look at this beauty:
skFzhNB.png

Please don't be true. I want a PS4 but just not now.

But I don't wanna buy a ps4 for this game.

This game was designed for current-gen hardware.

The information listed in the Game Informer article was incorrect:
If this is, what you say, how it is phrased on the GI article, this is false. The Phantom Pain is coming out on Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation 4.

Dunno how that got mixed up.

ToraShiro, now that you are posting here, what can we do to receive Shikawa's art as a cover for the physical version of Ground Zeroes, even if it's only a reversable option? I'm not a big fan of the Big Boss render cover, and i even bought the CE of MGS4 because if came inside a box with Shinkawa art, instead of the awful Snake render that the normal versions came with.

skFzhNB.png
This would be amazing as a reversible cover. Please suggest it to them ToraShiro!

Caffeine

Please don't be true. I want a PS4 but just not now.

But I don't wanna buy a ps4 for this game.

read the thread phantom pain has already been said coming to ps3, and 360 as well.

Well it was a demo and not a game released almost at full price. This thing shouldn't be selling for more than $20

ye there really is no justification as to why its $40 retail if demos of the past were given away for free with a magazine or a preorder.

the digital version on ps4 of this demo is only $30 the ps3 version is $20. honestly this shouldn't cost more than $10 tbh.

QaaQer

So ps3 game in 2016, wtf is up with Japanese developers and their long ass support of old tech? A 2016 AAA Open world game designed around 256/256mb machine, smh.

skFzhNB.png

I've kinda already passed it on when I saw it myself.

Don't count on it happening as a cover just because it is too close to print.

But don't count out the fact we may have plans for this piece in the future, as well.

What?

Makes no sense if ground zeroes is on all consoles, but MGS V is not.

Yes it does.

Give them the taste of MGSV on last gen (Current gen? I'm so confused).

We know Kojima has been pushing for people to play GZ on PS4, he says it's the best way.

He is forcing peoples hands into getting PS4/XB1.

It's like getting the taste of the wealthy, once you live it you can't get it out of your mind.

Eusis

Metal Gear Solid V is designed for current-gen hardware. I doubt canceling the current-gen version would unleash any sort of potential or anything like that... The only thing that would do is hurt sales.
Well, some games HAVE been pushing hardware crazy hard and the main event's still quite a ways away, so it doesn't seem out of the question that by writing those two out of the equation they can go further than they would have otherwise, even if it's not MUCH further. Still, I also wouldn't be surprised if the storage format would be a bigger problem and just on 360, and even then they could just have an install disc and some swapping.

Reality check: Since Kojipro admitted that the Fox Engine was built for the previous gen, doesn't that mean that MGS:pP will be "held back" by default? Kojima even hinted that we should not expect top-of-the-line "next-gen" graphics on this thing.

Edit: Oh Hi ToraShiro :p

Myansie

Reality check: Since Kojipro admitted that the Fox Engine was built for the previous gen, doesn't that mean that MGS:pP will be "held back" by default? Kojima even hinted that we should not expect top-of-the-line "next-gen" graphics on this thing.

Edit: Oh Hi ToraShiro :p

Don't most developers use old engines as a starting point for new gens? I'm pretty sure the COD games have quake 3 code in there somewhere. Naughty Dog have also spoken out with regret about starting out completely afresh on Uncharted. Kojima seems to be a bit humble at times.

For me it's not even graphics I'm really concerned about it's content and how the Xbox 360 could hold the game back. The game looks massive and extremely demanding, MGS4 couldn't fit on the 360 allegedly because it would need to be on a ridiculous amount of DVDs. What does that entail for a game like the Phantom Pain? FFXIII lost half of it's content when they moved over to 360. I'm fine with it on PS3 because that uses Blu-Ray but they'd have to cancel both last gen versions if they were gonna do it.

It hurts to live
I'm sorry to hear that?

Yay!! And Konami rep saves the day. Thanks for clarifying, now I can stop pouting. lol
Yeah, we just switched seats here and now I'm right next to the Metal Gear brand manager, constantly asking questions, I'm sure he will grow tired of me soon.

Pretty much everything surrounding these two games is confusing and mixed up.
And I'm here, hoping to keep the message straight. But seriously, can't figure out why this came out of that article the way it did... This has been known for a while (I think we had a press release at last E3 that outlined the consoles).
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=99642596&postcount=103

Game Misinform

Spaghetti

a mod really needs to change the title of this thread (again) because we're still having people wandering in thinking tpp is a current gen game based on the thread title, when torashiro already confirmed the contrary and that it's still coming to last gen too

Blader

This is great news. Push for next gen.

It wouldn't even matter here, Kojima has said repeatedly that MGSV and the FOX Engine were built for current-gen. If true, this news wouldn't suddenly make the game 100% next-gen, it'd just screw over the millions of PS3/360-only owners.

Reason number one to buy a PS4, then.
Now give me two more reasons, with one of them being the first price drop.

EDIT: Whoopsies!
Still, going to buy a PS4 for this. Won't play it before I got it on PS4.

I've kinda already passed it on when I saw it myself.

Don't count on it happening as a cover just because it is too close to print.

But don't count out the fact we may have plans for this piece in the future, as well.

It's likely that a lot of posters have already said this by now (or at least I hope that they have) but I wanted to thank you for coming in here and posting. It's good that you're also one of the "good guys" when it comes to interacting with the community; zero BS. That's appreciated.

Excellent choice, PS360 versions would sell bad when the game actually comes out due to gamers moving on to next gen, cross gen will be looked down upon after this year. It'd be a pointless compromise for a 2015 game to be limited by 2005 hardware.

MormaPope

Banned
Excellent choice, PS360 versions would sell bad when the game actually comes out due to gamers moving on to next gen, cross gen will be looked down upon after this year. It'd be a pointless compromise for a 2015 game to be limited by 2005 hardware.

How are these comments still happening? The thread title has been wrong since last night, Phantom Pain is coming out on Xbox 360/PS3/PS4/Xbox One.

Can't believe people are still championing something that isn't even true.

How are these comments still happening? The thread title has been wrong since last night, Phantom Pain is coming out on Xbox 360/PS3/PS4/Xbox One.

Can't believe people are still championing something that isn't even true.

Well, some people are still reading the thread title, OP and early comments ,sadly.

duckroll

This was debunked in this thread itself:

If this is, what you say, how it is phrased on the GI article, this is false. The Phantom Pain is coming out on Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation 4.

Dunno how that got mixed up.

In future, it would be best not to make threads based on stuff which could likely just be typos or editing errors. If a game is switching platforms, there would be a major announcement. If it's something which seems like it could just be a mistake, it's better to just wait for confirmation before trying to make a big deal out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom