• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI.biz: 70% of Gamers Surveyed in UK, France, Germany and Spain Say They're Not Interested In A Videogame Streaming Services

Are you interested in Videogame Steaming Services?

• I'm interested in all Videogame Streaming Services

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • I'm mostly interested in Stadia

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • I'm mostly interested in XCloud

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • I'm mostly interested in PSNow

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • I'm not interested in Videogame Streaming Services at all

Votes: 137 82.0%

• Total voters
The European people have spoken!

Will likely be huge in China though if they actually use it to advertise the game and not throw money at mouthpieces who are too busy shyponing cash than playing the damn game.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I’m not interested.

BUT, 30% of gamers is not exactly a small market. And I bet if you asked Netflix subscribers in 2000 if they were interested in streaming video, most of them would’ve said no.

leo-j

best way to go is to be able to purchase a game, download it to the console, or be able to delete the download and stream said purchased game. Similar to PSNOW, but more seamless, and with every game.

Dunki

Oh the ones who interviewed Sarkessian about how many female characters the E3 had? Is this just another lie to show their bias?

DanielsM

Banned
I’m not interested.

BUT, 30% of gamers is not exactly a small market. And I bet if you asked Netflix subscribers in 2000 if they were interested in streaming video, most of them would’ve said no.

Yeah, I guess in theory 30% is just those that might be interested, if they were interested, they would have signed up for the countless service a decade ago.

Barnabot

Seems like GAF is kinda on the same level.

TStq7NY.png

Last edited:

Typhares

Well I'm pretty sure the point of streaming is to open the market to more than just your standard 'gamer', at least from the streaming service pov.
Do I think that's a good plan, I dunno I cannot see someone who has interest in gaming jumping in just because they can stream.

rockyt

Video game streaming service will not take off for now for many reason. One of them which is the main reason is infrastructure. Majority of the world do not have the speed or steady connection to support the demand of games with high demand. Second is data caps. Many place have those in place and will cost an arm and leg if they go over the cap. There is a chance this will cut down on potential customers as it will limit who is able to buy or run the game. There are all other reason but this is all I can think of.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
interesting result considering the EU has pretty good internet in general. far better than the average in the US.

maybe they just have a low tolerance for BS

mckmas8808

Banned
Yeah, no shit. My question is why Google is even trying. Didnt they do their own research?

Because Google tries lots of things. And within 3 years, if they can't find super high success, they'll bail out of it like they have with many other things. It's one of the things that I admire about Google. They don't mind burning money with trying some new things.

Aranea

I'm not interested on video game streaming. You are required to have an excellent ISP and even them no ISP is perfect so the image quality will look blurry when stuff outside of your control happens.

INC

No point until the world's infrastructure can handle it

I've tried streaming service before, nothing but stuttering and compression and I had well above the required internet.

So currently it's pointless

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I use spotify
I use netflix
I use prime
I am one of the few neogaf stadia backers

I still buy

Vinyl
UHD movies
Boxed games & retro games.

People acting like it will kill gaming xD.
Your so called gaming is already dead with
DLC
LOOTBOXES
SEASON PASSES
ONLINE ONLY.
GAAS
DMR
DAY 1 PATCHES

Wake the fuck up 🤣

And just use it next to your normal consoles

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Video game streaming service will not take off for now for many reason. One of them which is the main reason is infrastructure. Majority of the world do not have the speed or steady connection to support the demand of games with high demand. Second is data caps. Many place have those in place and will cost an arm and leg if they go over the cap. There is a chance this will cut down on potential customers as it will limit who is able to buy or run the game. There are all other reason but this is all I can think of.
You could’ve said exactly the same thing about video streaming.

Angelcurio

I use spotify
I use netflix
I use prime

The difference is that all of those are passive activities. If a song takes a second longer to load, or a movie stops to buffer for a couple of seconds, it doesn't matter. Gaming being an active activity, we are more susceptible to notice the input lag, and depending on the type of game, a split second or a huge input lag could be the difference between life and death.

You could’ve said exactly the same thing about video streaming.
Youtube had been tried and proven for a while, before the launch of Neflix. The same cannot be said about streaming platforms today.

Last edited:

ROMhack

I use spotify
I use netflix
I use prime

I still buy

Vinyl
UHD movies

DLC
LOOTBOXES
SEASON PASSES
ONLINE ONLY.
GAAS
DMR
DAY 1 PATCHES

Wake the fuck up 🤣

Yeah I'd happily take it as an option. Feels like people make too much of a leap thinking it'll instantly completely replace physical - maybe in 30 years.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
Streaming is a step backwards in terms of outright quality ergo it's of no interest to me. A natively run movie or video game offers far more guarantees than streamed content. It's only the subscription obsessed moneymen (who want to get rich) who're pushing streaming as "the future".

Even those who say the upcoming games consoles generation is "the last before streaming" are full of sh*t. Why would I want lesser quality streamed games (massive 4K data as well) when a traditional console filled with huge amounts of horsepower will run my games better without hiccups?

Barnabot

I use spotify
I use netflix
I use prime

I still buy

Vinyl
UHD movies

DLC
LOOTBOXES
SEASON PASSES
ONLINE ONLY.
GAAS
DMR
DAY 1 PATCHES

Wake the fuck up 🤣

C'mon Spuck you can share your impressions about Stadia once you have it in hands.

Shmunter

The issue at hand is that google will put it in front of everyone’s nose at every opportunity. Google for a game review, hey why not click this button to play instantly. Watch a gaming YouTube vid, hey press here to try it, etc. etc.

Millions will try streaming even if they had little prior interest. And if the service works, they may very well stay.

Shmunter

Streaming is a step backwards in terms of outright quality ergo it's of no interest to me. A natively run movie or video game offers far more guarantees than streamed content. It's only the subscription obsessed moneymen (who want to get rich) who're pushing streaming as "the future".

Even those who say the upcoming games consoles generation is "the last before streaming" are full of sh*t. Why would I want lesser quality streamed games (massive 4K data as well) when a traditional console filled with huge amounts of horsepower will run my games better without hiccups?

Don’t underestimate the power of convenience combined with low cost over quality. Most gamers are not Neogaf members and gaming Connoisseurs.

But believe me when I say, I hope I’m wrong.

Last edited:

LordRaptor

gamers just want faster horses.
Thats why they're always wrong on how successful something disruptive is going to be when something disruptive is successful.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
I’m not interested.

This is true only if Google grabs the exclusivity of a few huge titles. Otherwise, I don’t see the Netflix case being applicable in this context.

Dynasty8

I use spotify
I use netflix
I use prime

I still buy

Vinyl
UHD movies

DLC
LOOTBOXES
SEASON PASSES
ONLINE ONLY.
GAAS
DMR
DAY 1 PATCHES

Wake the fuck up 🤣

This guy gets it.

near

Gold Member
I think game streaming is going to be great for the industry and all of its stakeholders, am I ready to adopt this yet? Fuck no.

ruvikx

Banned
Don’t underestimate the power of convenience combined with low cost over quality. Most gamers are not Neogaf members and gaming Connoisseurs.

But believe me when I say, I hope I’m wrong.

I hope you're wrong as well. I have zero interest in streaming because even in a best case scenario it's still worse quality than native content. When we add the fact subscription services are creeping into the entire medium... well voilà, a shit on a stick proposition where graphics & quality stagnates whilst consumer costs rise & we get a far worse industry than ever before.

This guy gets it.

Not entirely. GAAS for example ( games as a service) have just had a giant f-you from gamers i.e. Anthem's flop. Streaming would kill gaming for me because I'm not going to give someone else the power to pull the plug on my own content or outside factors (internet speed etc.) determine the quality of my experience. F that.

LordRaptor

Not entirely. GAAS for example ( games as a service) have just had a giant f-you from gamers i.e. Anthem's flop.

what?
Anthems failure - and its still arguable if its even a failure - says nothing about GaaS, it says something about specifically Anthem.
Meanwhile LOL TFT is commanding basically the fucking entire of twitch, and its not even been released

ruvikx

Banned
what?
Anthems failure - and its still arguable if its even a failure - says nothing about GaaS, it says something about specifically Anthem.
Meanwhile LOL TFT is commanding basically the fucking entire of twitch, and its not even been released

Popular on "twitch" or whatever else is trending among casuals? That's just a small vocal sample of the entire gaming market. Some of us want to sit back, enjoy the latest AAA (or even AA) single player experience & not give a flying F about people screaming at each other in multiplayer addiction services.

It's that type of thinking (aka "the future of gaming is one where publishers get players addicted in a GAAS & make beaucoup shekels") which led Bioware & EA down the rabbit hole into Anthem.

Kacho

Gold Member
The xcloud streaming stuff seems neat on the surface, assuming you're already invested in that ecosystem and all that. But I still struggle to care, or come up with any real-case scenarios that it would actually be useful in.

Streaming in general? NAWWWWWWWWWWW

Last edited:

Krabba

Neo Member
Most haven't tried it yet, few know what it is. The fact that 30% of respondents are interested in streamed gaming is quite impressive.

Dynasty8

Not entirely. GAAS for example ( games as a service) have just had a giant f-you from gamers i.e. Anthem's flop. Streaming would kill gaming for me because I'm not going to give someone else the power to pull the plug on my own content or outside factors (internet speed etc.) determine the quality of my experience. F that.

That's where you and I are different. I actually enjoy some GaaS.

Anthem is not the best example. Destiny, on the other hand, is a game I play often. Other GaaS such as Fortnite is a worldwide success (even though I'm not a fan, I can aknowledge what it's done). Even games like Monster Hunter... Stadia will allow me to play those games in 60fps on any device as long as I'm connected to the internet. That is extremely convenient. Don't get me wrong, I am still skeptical...but if this works flawlessly as they are promising, then I guarantee that streaming will be the next big gaming innovation. It's extremely convenient, compatible with almost every device, and cheap if you have the right connection.

And I'm not saying that streaming is going to replace consoles or PC. First party games will always be the biggest diffrenciator.

gypsygib

I'm interested in gaming streaming service only if the game you purchase also comes with a downloadable hardware version. It would be nice to be able to play my games everywhere but not so much that I'd ever want to game exclusively on a streaming service or have to buy two copies of everything.

If Stadia and other services only offer streaming and no downloadable version, then I'll just buy my game the regular way and play them on my hardware.

Sakura

I’m not interested.

I'm not sure I understand this comparison. Netflix started streaming services in 2007. In the year 2000 the vast majority of internet access (in the US at least) was via dial-up.
It's 2019, Stadia is out this year/next year, and we already have other video game streaming services that have been around for a few years. Very different situations.

MMaRsu

Banned
Because Google tries lots of things. And within 3 years, if they can't find super high success, they'll bail out of it like they have with many other things. It's one of the things that I admire about Google. They don't mind burning money with trying some new things.

I dunno throwing money at shit to see if it sticks isnt something I admire since its not a smart business decision or strategy at all.

LordRaptor

Popular on "twitch" or whatever else is trending among casuals? That's just a small vocal sample of the entire gaming market. Some of us want to sit back, enjoy the latest AAA (or even AA) single player experience & not give a flying F about people screaming at each other in multiplayer addiction services.

It's that type of thinking (aka "the future of gaming is one where publishers get players addicted in a GAAS & make beaucoup shekels") which led Bioware & EA down the rabbit hole into Anthem.

what?
breh, get some self awareness.
The vocal minority are the people moaning about GaaS and how everything should be AAA single player only, meanwhile AAA singleplayer after AAA singleplayer comes out and fucking flops.

Top Bottom