• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GI biz] PS5 and Resident Evil Village dominate May | UK Monthly Charts

Rolla

Banned

The best-selling game of May 2021 was Resident Evil: Village, which outsold its nearest rival -- Mass Effect: Legendary Edition -- by nearly double. 43% of Resident Evil sales were on PS5, 31% on Xbox, 15% on PS4 and 11% on PC.

Other new releases in May included Hood: Outlaws & Legends at No.13. Meanwhile, Nintendo's Miitopia makes No.19. Nintendo doesn't share digital data with GSD, so it's possible, even likely, that the game would have charted higher.

More at the source link in tweet...

GrayChild

Well deserved. The Capgods have been on a roll for the past few years.

I never thought I'd say it, but I do hope RE will continue to be an annual franchise for at least some more time.

SSfox

Playstation fans have the best gaming tastes

January+5.gif

RoadHazard

Gold Member
PS5 dominates when it can actually be purchased.

Also, why are PS5 and PS4 separate in this sentence while all Xbox consoles are just "Xbox"?

"43% of Resident Evil sales were on PS5, 31% on Xbox, 15% on PS4 and 11% on PC."

A bit weird.

Anyway, seems to be saying that combined PlayStation sales were 58% vs 31% for all Xbox consoles. That's almost 2x.

SLB1904

Banned

Also, why are PS5 and PS4 separate in this sentence while all Xbox consoles are just "Xbox"?

"43% of Resident Evil sales were on PS5, 31% on Xbox, 15% on PS4 and 11% on PC."

A bit weird.

Anyway, seems to be saying that combined PlayStation sales were 58% vs 31% for all Xbox consoles. That's almost 2x.
who believes in generations?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

A bit weird.

Because on xbox you just buy an xbox version and it's smart delivery. Playstation is separated across SKUS.

amazing game resi 8, completed it 5 times before trading it in. Will pick up again once dlc comes out and I can grab a gold edition.

e&e

Banned
Because on xbox you just buy an xbox version and it's smart delivery. Playstation is separated across SKUS.

amazing game resi 8, completed it 5 times before trading it in. Will pick up again once dlc comes out and I can grab a gold edition.
Where do you guys find the time to complete a game 5 times?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Where do you guys find the time to complete a game 5 times?

Haha, I feel your pain! I've not done this in years! I got to the point where I could complete it in an afternoon. Probs around 4 to 5 hours tops. More or less speed running it and doing challenges. really flipping enjoyed it.

ethomaz

Banned
Remember some people said that the reason why PS4 was a success was due to weak competition (the competition shooting themselves in the foot). That aged well.

Now that the PS5 is breaking records and is outpacing the PS4, what is the excuse now?
Competition this gen start is even weaker than last gen start.
At that point Xbox One was already having the Titanfall success plus several games were launched like Killer Instinct, Forza 5, Ryse, etc.

You create a even worst launch than Xbox One and you get the results from that.

Last edited:

Rolla

Banned
Remember some people said that the reason why PS4 was a success was due to weak competition (the competition shooting themselves in the foot). That aged well.

Now that the PS5 is breaking records and is outpacing the PS4, what is the excuse now?

I think the loss of mindshare in any business is hard to claw back. I'm a UK resident. 360 used to go toe to toe with PS3 here but for reasons we wont rehash, there has been a noticeable decline for support for XBOX, at retail, in this market. The year XB lost Fifa and COD accelerated the process because casuals have zero loyalty.

No excuse, just hard facts. Both consoles are supply limited.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

The best-selling game of May 2021 was Resident Evil: Village, which outsold its nearest rival -- Mass Effect: Legendary Edition -- by nearly double. 43% of Resident Evil sales were on PS5, 31% on Xbox, 15% on PS4 and 11% on PC.

Other new releases in May included Hood: Outlaws & Legends at No.13. Meanwhile, Nintendo's Miitopia makes No.19. Nintendo doesn't share digital data with GSD, so it's possible, even likely, that the game would have charted higher.

More at the source link in tweet...

5cpd2z.jpg

Great Hair

Banned
Why don't they tell us the percentages of Xbox One vs Series S/X?

PS4, PS5 58%
XB1, XSX, XSS 31% | 30 days tracked MAY7 to JUN7 | Only 39th on Charts list
PC 11%
If 75% bought the X console, 25% bought the S. We can assume that more are playing the game on the X, than on the S. I´m giving the Xbone 5%, just as a variable to play with.

3X : X + 5%? = 31% = 19.5% on X, 6.5% on S and 5% on Xbone
3X : X + 10%? = 31% = 15.75% on X, 5.25% on S and 10% on Xbone
3X : X + 15%? = 31% = 12% on X, 4% on S and 15% on Xbone

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Sony established themselves even more with the ps4, they've carried the moment into this gen and they've delivered solid games every few months from launch. They deserve all the success.

Now saying that and the xbox is performing well too, just not as well as Sony ps5. As long as xbox is proving to be successful to MS its a win win but MS needs some great games too.

I don't think it's possible for MS to ever outsell Sony again but if they can get close then everyone's eating and will be better for us and the industry.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Pretty much, lol
Competition this gen start is even weaker than last gen start.
At that point Xbox One was already having the Titanfall success plus several games were launched like Killer Instinct, Forza 5, Ryse, etc.

You create a even worst launch than Xbox One and you get the results from that.
Yup.

As far as games, yes...they are starting off alot worse. That some ppl still try to defend no Series exclusives at launch is wild.

Hardware wise, services, they are starting off better tho. But even then thats a mixed bag....especially since the PS5 isnt getting destroyed in analysis like many hoped. And the PS5DE basically nullifying the XSX and XSS sandwich attack.

Just goes to show games are what matter, not check boxes on spec sheets. How we went from twitter on fire about "XSX 12TF!!!', 'PS5 9TF?? LMAO' to 'omfg, did you see Rift Apart?? And HFW...a cross gen game???' is dizzying. Twitter folks still try with the RDNA 1.0 dur hur hur tho, lol.

I'll say it again, who woulda thunk getting dev kits out early was more important than trying to win spec wars.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Resident Evil 8 is a great game, better than RE 7 but one completion was more than enough for me. RE 4, RE 7 and RE 8 all have the same problem - the last third of the game is crap compared to the previous two thirds.

Top Bottom