• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI: Halo 5 planned to have more than 15 DLC maps by June 2016 - Will all be free

This is coming from the Game Informer article; figured the news was big enough to stand on it's own but please lock the thread up if not.

Ever since maps stopped getting an eventual free release during Halo 3 the series has suffered where DLC playlists would have low player-count or certain game modes would get locked in playlists that would require paid maps. This is a very big step in the right direction, and Halo 5 will be a much better online experience for it.

Over 20 maps at launch.

U2NUMB

I sure hope this helps set a new standard... this needs to happen to keep MP games healthy. Great job 343.

This almost sounds like a pre-empt apology due to delays or bugs or something else. Like with the MCC.
"Because of X, we're making all of our maps free!"

PillarEN

This is positive PR. Definitely can get behind this. Unless that means they aren't able to make enough maps before the game ships and thus aren't really free but actually late to the party maps.

Euron

WHAT?!

Over 20 maps at launch.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

Stinkles I was content with getting Fallout 4 in October and playing it for the rest of the year but now it looks like I have to postpone that until Christmas.

KDC720

The right choice. Garden Warfare and Mass Effect 3 also did this to great success, and I don't mind paying for cosmetic stuff every now and again if it means free maps.

U2NUMB

This is positive PR. Definitely can get behind this. Unless that means they aren't able to make enough maps before the game ships and thus aren't really free but actually late to the party maps.

20 maps at launch... so that already is more than most games.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
In the eyes of the gaming community, you're only as good as your last game, but this is a fantastic step forward. Now show me what's in the $250 edition so I know if it's worth keeping the pre order. :D

Alienous

Full price it is, 343.

And feel free to maintain that RRP, like a Nintendo game.

This is how it should be done.

Velcro Fly

Sounds good so far.

They have a long way to go after MCC debacle though. But not dividing multiplayer and supporting the game for months after launch is a good start.

U2NUMB

In the eyes of the gaming community, you're only as good as your last game, but this is a fantastic step forward. Now show me what's in the $250 edition so I know if it's worth keeping the pre order. :D

Frankie comes to your house and helps you with a level you are stuck on.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
No XBL Gold needed for online coop ? Interesting...

VanWinkle

Games are getting free MP maps pretty often these days. I love it. Hopefully soon we'll see a full death of this DLC fragmentation.

Great news. And 15 maps?! Wow.

Top Bottom