• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI November cover: Resistance 3 (Another thread claimed for The Last Guardian)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ok so to be sure : The weapon wheel is back? Confirmed as Ted Price sky blue eyes?

DMPrince said:
go buy the issue to find out!
I should get a plane ticket first. :lol

cryptic said:
Story is generic.

Yeah because the only information revealed about the story has already been said to be incorrect or is at least not the focus of the story as a whole.

oh and WEAPON WHEEL FOR PRESIDENT 2012

MrPliskin

Banned
cryptic said:
Story is generic.

Says the man who probably doesn't understand what he just posted :lol

Fersis: Fairly confident it's safe to say that Weapon Wheel is in. James tries not to give stuff away, but his smug responses are almost too telling :lol

TEH-CJ

Banned
Team Klimt said:
The bolded parts are incorrect. Finding the anti-virus is not the goal of the game.

Quote:
Then Resistance:
- They recap R2
- Capelli started a family with Susan (Hale's Stepsister)
- Their son is sick so Capelli has to go to New York to get an anti-virus
- Malikov LIVES!!
- They confirm co-op campaign (Capelli, Malikov, & John Harper [Capelli's partner]) are key characters (but no alternate story co-op like R2)
- They describe a couple scenes (some related to the leaked images)
- One of the multiplayer maps is in an African Prison
- Chimeran Plant Life (that explodes when shot) shows that the world is changing
- Describes some boat scenes from the campaign
- Talk about the new smarter AI (climb over walls, and through windows and stuff)
- Long legs jumping from roof to roof shooting down at you
- The Mutator:
A new weapon that shoots biological mist that causes boils and stuff on the enemy and then makes them pop hurting the other nearby enemies
Secondary fire makes them go insane and attack their buddies
- Other Weapons:
Bullseye, Magnum, Shotgun, Auger, carbine are all back... and all weapons are upgradable as you use them more and more
Weapons are also made to look more improvised so... grenades are shaped like food cans full of nails and such...
- Online was talked about but not much is known yet:
it says they wanna make it more organized and not a cluster like the 60 player matches in R2
- Also Ted Price handed the reigns to Marcus Smith to do alot of the other work
- Humans eating humans cuz lack of food... NICE!

Story:
Basically Capelli is trying to get the Hale Vaccine which was made by Malikov from Hale's blood... the vaccine may cure the chimeran virus... Capelli is doing this to save his son so he goes with Malikov to New York, St. Louis, etc. They also have no more gas so everything needs to be run off of Chimeran Energy cores which have to be stolen from chimeran ships...

glad to hear.

mal9oi.jpg

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
All aboard the hype train!!!
Choo choo!!! Next stop : R3 Footage !

cryptic

I'm disappointed that I'm ultimately going to be doing something that has been played out so much in so many mediums. I really hope there's more to the store than that, I don't want another case of a game throwing out a generic action story that will be all made well due to the strengths of the interactive medium rather than putting out something creative that the medium complements. It's the call of duty approach that get's me scared that this will be a repeat of R2, ie. well this is an age old military story of fight the bad guy but fuck it cause this is a game!

MrPliskin

Banned
cryptic said:
I'm disappointed that I'm ultimately going to be doing something that has been played out so much in so many mediums. I really hope there's more to the store than that, I don't want another case of a game throwing out a generic action story that will be all made well due to the strengths of the interactive medium rather than putting out something creative that the medium complements. It's the call of duty approach that get's me scared that this will be a repeat of R2, ie. well this is an age old military story of fight the bad guy but fuck it cause this is a game!

None of this makes any sense.

TEH-CJ

Banned
cryptic said:

wut.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
cryptic said:

this is totally not a military story.

cryptic

MrPliskin said:
None of this makes any sense.

I don't like generic sci-fi stories. Insomniac seems to be making one of those with the caveat that it's a game so it doesn't have to have a good story because the gameplay will make up for that. I don't like that call of duty-esque approach.

EDIT:I know it's not a military story. It's a generic I am legend, matrix, etc. type story where one key thing can save the world and I'm sick of that.

EDIT2: Oh well, maybe it is too early. I love resistant games anyway so it's not as though I won't blindly buy it but please include an expanded co-op a la resistance 2.

Strike

cryptic said:
tumblr_l652v0bHqs1qzh5gno1_500.jpg

Fersis

Romeo and Juliet: They love and then die.

Strike said:
:lol

I cant stop laughing and i dont know why!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
jstevenson said:
this is totally not a military story.

Would you say there is more horror this time as well? I really loved those moments in the darkness in that one house in R2 (sorry can't be more specific due to my terrible memory)

sflufan

Banned
cryptic said:
I don't like generic sci-fi stories. Insomniac seems to be making one of those with the caveat that it's a game so it doesn't have to have a good story because the gameplay will make up for that. I don't like that call of duty-esque approach.

Exactly what is particularly original about the Resistance series in the first place?

Anyway, I'm REALLY curious as to how the end of R2 is going to tie-in with this game. I mean, didn't it seem like Hale and Capelli were on another planet or another dimension at the end of R2?!?!?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
TTP said:
Would you say there is more horror this time as well? I really loved those moments in the darkness in that one house in R2 (sorry can't be more specific due to my terrible memory)
you're thinking of chicago i think

the hotel was in the dark

there was also a dark basement in idaho but it was short

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Loudninja said:
Sounds great but I would have like the 8 player co-op to return,but I guess this is for the best. :)

Tighter focus all the way around is a huge theme of this production. It is already paying off (I just played through the campaign over the last couple of days. :))

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
jstevenson said:
Tighter focus all the way around is a huge theme of this production. It is already paying off (I just played through the campaign over the last couple of days. :))

How's it?

lol

Loudninja

jstevenson said:
Yeah that what I mean, hell its still online co-op! :D Hey are the weapon upgrades like the Ratchet games?

Edit:Someone make a new topic.

TEH-CJ

Banned
jstevenson said:

plz tell me there will be huge set pieces and epic large scale battles like R1 and R2, and not just focused on survival horror style gameplay, where your just a lone soldier for the majority of the game.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
TEH-CJ said:
plz tell me there will be huge set pieces and epic large scale battles like R1 and R2, and not just focused on survival horror style gameplay, where your just a lone soldier for the majority of the game.

it's still Resistance.

Somehow cryptic's cryptic post did remind me of something. I hope that R3 isn't going to follow the ultra-scripted Call of Duty approach that R2 seemed to aspire to. Burning bridges in Fall of Man may have been scripted in that a stalker and widowmaker came along but how that situation played out and how you beat it was entirely up to you. Taking cover in the house with one quarter of your health left, taking potshots at the widowmaker is the sort of experience that can't really be replicated by scripted games. After watching the GB quicklook, Medal of Honor really seems to suffer from being overly-scripted too and I'm a little tired of games going down this path badly.

MrPliskin

Banned
cryptic said:

EDIT:I know it's not a military story. It's a generic I am legend, matrix, etc. type story where one key thing can save the world and I'm sick of that.

EDIT2: Oh well, maybe it is too early. I love resistant games anyway so it's not as though I won't blindly buy it but please include an expanded co-op a la resistance 2.

Could you contradict yourself any more?

Anyway, you've read 2 lines and you're already blowing up with fear and dismay...absurd, no? :lol

TEH-CJ

Banned
evolution said:
:lol That guy was hella scared

The bridge section is still hands down the most epic battle I have seen in a game. it wasn't perfect ( stalkers) but holy crap it was the only time that I really felt humanity was fighting fighting with all they had in them just to survive. epic stuff!.

jstevenson said:
Holy shit, already??

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
the guy with the mag answered the weapon on IG... so I'll say it here:

The weapon wheel makes a glorious return in R3.

MrPliskin said:
I'm guessing they're probably just "taking back" the planet that was theirs. They needed humans to repopulate, so that's what they did.

Either that, or they are using humanity to try to get to this 3rd race that is sort of hinted at in Resistance 2.
The third race in Resistance is the barrels. I'm sure they spanked the chimera good.

jstevenson said:
He's not 100% clear with it, but he is referring to SP campaign co-op.
Yes!

Campaign co-op > separate co-op. It's the best way to show off a new game to your friends.

The direction they're taking the story sounds absolutely awesome as well.

Edit:

Wait, weapon wheel!?! YESSS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom