• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT1| The real Bomb shelter

ArchaeEnkidu

Vincit qui se vincit
Jan 30, 2018
Oh god...just finished it. Final highlights:

- Ben’s story about a homoerotic encounter he had at summer camp as a 17 year old where he and some other boys played a “game” involving throwing balls at eachother’s backsides. If one of them missed their throw, they had to slowly drop their pants a bit until eventually they were all staring at eachother’s bare arses.

This even tops his story about getting shaken down for money by two band guys in a bar. I can safely say he is one of the most awkward and cringiest dudes I’ve ever seen.

- The dude from Gamespot (Michael Higham) who speaks like a ResetEra post: “Heyo, that’s fire! That’s lit dog! Woof! That’s thicc! Y’all, I fuck that McDonald’s burger up.” Etc.

Brain-liquefyingly stupid.
You are a better man than I. I couldn't even make it 30% of the way through it.

Reactions: Scopa and KingMoron

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
You are a better man than I. I couldn't even make it 30% of the way through it.
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
Sun Tzu, The Art of War
I’m making sacrifices for the greater good, lol.

brap

Formerly 'xXxKi$$e$&Razorblade$xXx'
Jan 9, 2018
ok i just know alex owns one of these

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
ALEX: “You’re doing that overly dismissive thing again, Dan.”

Says the guy with a soapbox permanently welded to his feet, a chip on his shoulder the size of the grand canyon and an addiction to condescending and patronising rants.

The lack of self-awareness within this idiot is mind-boggling.

KingMoron

Dec 10, 2018

Says the guy with a soapbox permanently welded to his feet, a chip on his shoulder the size of the grand canyon and an addiction to condescending and patronising rants.

You mean the Alex who's in his thirties and every day starts to look more and more like the old man from Poltergeist 2 😂

• LOL
Reactions: Scopa
Oct 14, 2010

I really don't get this constant refrain from the GBeast crew. It's pretty condescending. But, then again, Dan does play up his ignorance and in a way puts himself in that role of being mentored by others.

Still, who the fuck cares? Why can't he just like what he likes and "dismiss" what he doesn't like? If he thinks something is crap that another crew member likes; can't they all just live with that incredibly banal disagreement over preferred media? I mean, we're talking about video games here, it's not exactly life and death.

This kinda thing always comes up with the fact that Dan doesn't like adventure games but the rest of the GBeast crew does. I love the hell out of adventure games but I could give a flying fuck if Dan doesn't and "dismisses" them. It just screams of needing everyone around you to emotionally validate your opinions, or else.

Reactions: bad and Scopa

Eraroten

Mar 20, 2017
I’ve really been teetering on completely stopping Giantbomb. I have been a fan since the beginning of their second year, but I now find them completely unrelatable. I think it is finally time to stop.
I'm having this problem with them for months or years at this point. Only thing I consume are the podcasts, and even them I listen to occasionally now only and not every week like I used to.

I don't watch their quick looks, cause they are too long and mostly boring. Rather watch a stream quickly for a couple minutes or an edited yt review to decide if I should buy it.

The only content I really looking forward to from them are the E3 conference reactions, even though they are cynical as fk. But I like watching a lot of e3 reactions in general.

Last edited:

O-N-E

Jul 11, 2018
Before I stopped posting regularly there, I kept telling them how disrespectful it was to only put out content that was like 3 hours long and unedited. People don't have time for that shit and it's mostly fluff. At least put out some edited content to show you care at least an ounce about your audience....but no.

Reactions: eot

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Before I stopped posting regularly there, I kept telling them how disrespectful it was to only put out content that was like 3 hours long and unedited. People don't have time for that shit and it's mostly fluff. At least put out some edited content to show you care at least an ounce about your audience....but no.
They want you to soak in their personalities bro

brap

Formerly 'xXxKi$$e$&Razorblade$xXx'
Jan 9, 2018
>interested in a new ql
>all 4 memebers of gbe are on it
Fucking why? It's too goddamn crowded. I should just really unsub from their youtube at this point. Abby and Ben are always there to shit up everything.

Reactions: eot and Eraroten

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Jeff still isn’t back.

Newest Bombcast has that Brit chick and some nobody. No Ben. No Jason.

Still stopped listening after about 90 seconds though.

Also Brad needs to fucking stop with that “Yeahuhughuh” thing he does. He does it so fucking much it’s like a tic at this point.

Last edited:

KingMoron

Dec 10, 2018
Jeff still isn’t back.

Newest Bombcast has that Brit chick and some nobody. No Ben. No Jason.

Still stopped listening after about 90 seconds though.

Also Brad needs to fucking stop with that “Yeahuhughuh” thing he does. He does it so fucking much it’s like a tic at this point.
At least Lucy James has a voice you can jerk it to. (British women are my weakness) as opposed to the Scarecrow on the Beastcast.

O-N-E

Jul 11, 2018

Hahaha... Didn't even realize this was the case since I haven't been premium in so long.

It looks like they caught some fish with the new sale, though.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: brap

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
So they take their money and still pump them with ads? Pretty dumb to sign up for that.

Also another sign that times aren’t so good in GB land.

I know, they should hire another absolutely hideous person that knows fuck all about games and no one can stand. That should get things back on track!

I hear Anita Sarkeesian is looking for work.

chillinggamers_

Neo Member
Feb 12, 2018
I actually enjoyed this weeks bombcast. I still miss Jeff though. His takes usually help drive a more insightful discussion.

eot

Apr 13, 2012
So they take their money and still pump them with ads? Pretty dumb to sign up for that.

Also another sign that times aren’t so good in GB land.

I know, they should hire another absolutely hideous person that knows fuck all about games and no one can stand. That should get things back on track!

I hear Anita Sarkeesian is looking for work.
She would be a step up, I don't agree with her thoughts but she actually has some and is able to express them.

KingMoron

Dec 10, 2018
Look it's Alex here to sell you that new Giant Bomb skate deck no one asked for....

Btw premium subscriptions are on sale....guys? GUYS?

HoodWinked

Jun 30, 2010
Earth
This weeks bombcast felt anemic without the regulars though its nice to hear a lady like lucy james that actually knows something about games. the dead island 2 discussion about the development hell in contrast to remembering when Abby awhile back saying whats platinum games.

Reactions: DangerStepp

O-N-E

Jul 11, 2018
So judging by the current state of the comment section, the latest bombcast was a mild disaster. Though, despite the huge caveat of no-one interesting being present, Brad could have done a better job at leading the conversation, but the thing is, Brad is a terrible host and has been for his duration as host. Though Jeff was not as good at it as Ryan, he was better than Brad. I guess he decided to pawn it off on Brad due to laziness (not wanting to check e-mails and news points).

As it stands now, from all the GB West and East employees, Brad is the 2nd worst choice for hosting duties. Jason being the clear worst.

KingMoron

Dec 10, 2018
So judging by the current state of the comment section, the latest bombcast was a mild disaster. Though, despite the huge caveat of no-one interesting being present, Brad could have done a better job at leading the conversation, but the thing is, Brad is a terrible host and has been for his duration as host. Though Jeff was not as good at it as Ryan, he was better than Brad. I guess he decided to pawn it off on Brad due to laziness (not wanting to check e-mails and news points).

As it stands now, from all the GB West and East employees, Brad is the 2nd worst choice for hosting duties. Jason being the clear worst.
Oh hell no fool. Abby is hands down the worst.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Scopa and O-N-E

Spukc

Jan 24, 2015
Just listened to the last giant bombcast.
The tank the healer and the damage dealer.
They had an item about ion fury.
Holy shit this podcast went down to shit.

The most tone deaf shit i heard in years.
And some cunt i never heard about is crying in the show. Rest of the cast was rather neutral but he def wanted his opinion to be heard..
Like a giant man baby.

Last edited:

Guynamedbilly

Feb 28, 2018
I've completely broken off at this point. I gave up on the beastcast last year, the bombcast a few months back, and I tried to watch a few of their recent videos, but gave up on them all a few minutes in. It's sad in a way because I listened for years, but they have absolutely nothing left for me anymore.

O-N-E

Jul 11, 2018
I've completely broken off at this point. I gave up on the beastcast last year, the bombcast a few months back, and I tried to watch a few of their recent videos, but gave up on them all a few minutes in. It's sad in a way because I listened for years, but they have absolutely nothing left for me anymore.
Jeff Gerstmann used to not give a fuck about anything other than producing good content.

Now he just wants content.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Scopa and VedderOA

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
God, Danny O’Dwyer has become the worst type of skin-crawling, bleeting SJW there is. Top tier virtue-signaller and white knight.

Someone tell him to shut the fuck up and crawl back to his Youtube channel. It’s embarrassing.

Sleepy Nocchi

Jul 7, 2019
Even with my growing differing of opinions of some of the crew of Giant Bomb, and having given up on pretty much all of GBWest content, I still watch and listen to GBeast content pretty regularly still. Vinny is still a cool funny guy, and Dan’s shinanagans still have their moments. Even Alex can make me laugh sometimes, even though I hate his and Abby’s politics sometimes.

I really enjoyed the first episode of Burgle my Bananas, but man... I almost stopped the video when I heard they got some suggestion from Resetera. Can they please stop... if I have to give up Giantbomb, I really don’t know what gaming stuff I’ll watch anymore. I miss the days when all the content was good, and there weren’t assholes like Abby and Ben around. To be fair to Abby though, she has made content that has made me laugh at least. Jason and Jan are fine but I just find them to be boring as hell, and Bens voice makes me want to never watch any content he’s in. I almost immediately close the browser if I see his face, or hear his ear bleeding voice.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Feb 27, 2017
Hazuki Dojo
Ben is single handedly ruining Giant Bomb for me. He's cringey as fuck and the most unfunny person they've ever had on staff. Listening to his voice somehow manages to be more sleep-inducing than listening to Austin Walker. He should never be in front of a camera/microphone and I think replacing him would solve at least some of Giant Bomb's problems.

KingMoron

Dec 10, 2018
Ben is single handedly ruining Giant Bomb for me. He's cringey as fuck and the most unfunny person they've ever had on staff. Listening to his voice somehow manages to be more sleep-inducing than listening to Austin Walker. He should never be in front of a camera/microphone and I think replacing him would solve at least some of Giant Bomb's problems.
Maybe not the best time to remind you that GB premium subscriptions are on sale....

• Triggered
Reactions: SpiceRacz and brap