• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT1| The real Bomb shelter

eot

Apr 13, 2012
They don't quick look dope games like Dusk or Amid Evil, but they do one for Madden of all fucking things. Sure, need to see a video about that. For having like 10 people on staff they sure manage to miss covering a lot of games.

Sleepy Nocchi

Jul 7, 2019
They don't quick look dope games like Dusk or Amid Evil, but they do one for Madden of all fucking things. Sure, need to see a video about that. For having like 10 people on staff they sure manage to miss covering a lot of games.
I was just feeling annoyed about something similar. Astral Chain is getting all kinds of praise, and I was hoping to watch some gameplay but they don't even have a quick look for it, nor is anything on the schedule. Like really?

I never watch UPF, but I even decided to click on that cuz i thought maybe they took a look at it on there at least...but nope...a bunch of shit we've seen they play on their 4 hour show from the look of it.

God this site is ridiculous. How is it that I, a person working full time, can probably play more games, and get further in them than 10 fucking people who get paid to do that shit.

• LOL
Reactions: VedderOA

brap

Formerly 'xXxKi$$e$&Razorblade$xXx'
Jan 9, 2018
I was just feeling annoyed about something similar. Astral Chain is getting all kinds of praise, and I was hoping to watch some gameplay but they don't even have a quick look for it, nor is anything on the schedule. Like really?

I never watch UPF, but I even decided to click on that cuz i thought maybe they took a look at it on there at least...but nope...a bunch of shit we've seen they play on their 4 hour show from the look of it.

God this site is ridiculous. How is it that I, a person working full time, can probably play more games, and get further in them than 10 fucking people who get paid to do that shit.
That surprises me. It seems like a japanese game jason would pretend to like. 'mmmmmmmmmmmm fuck yeahhhhhhhhhh asstral chain is soooooooooooooo goooooooooood. i looooooooooooove anime guys!!!'

Reactions: KingMoron
Aug 24, 2012
Just feels like their phoning it in at this point. Wasn't there supposed to be a Bloodstained video today? Or is it impossible without Abby there?

I sure as hell ain't renewing this year. They just don't give a shit anymore.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
This PAX West “variety show” Abby has been pushing sounds like it’ll be epically cringey and pathetic. Should be interesting.

Reactions: KingMoron

KingMoron

Dec 10, 2018
This PAX West “variety show” Abby has been pushing sounds like it’ll be epically cringey and pathetic. Should be interesting.
It's just going to be Abby doing improve. All 10 people that show up get a free pair of Nike's and a cup of kool aid to end their suffering swiftly.

• LOL
Reactions: Inviusx and Scopa

brap

Jan 9, 2018
yall think gb finna mention zoe quinn this week? :goog_unsure:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
yall think gb finna mention zoe quinn this week? :goog_unsure:
They’ll dance around it with their ballet slippers like every other time. Alex will give a long condescending rant whilst pretending to be neutral. Vinny will tell everybody to be nice to eachother whilst still secretly fapping it to a picture of Abby whenever his wife goes to yoga class. Ben will cry like the pathetic cuckmonster he is. Etc, etc.

Abby is away at PAX, thank fuck.

KingMoron

Dec 10, 2018
Y'all ready for the Bombcast to lecture you on how poor Zoe Quinn got bullied off the internet?

O-N-E

Jul 11, 2018
Y'all ready for the Bombcast to lecture you on how poor Zoe Quinn got bullied off the internet?
I don't think they're going to touch it. At max, they'll reference it with a groan and move on.

I get the feeling from the lack of tweets about this on their side that they don't want to say anything that might bite them in the ass later.

Last edited:

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
I don't think they're going to touch it. At max, they'll reference it with a groan and move on.

I get the feeling from the lack of tweets about this on their side that they don't want to say anything that might bite them in the ass later.
Yeah I really haven’t seen much coverage of this at all except a brief article by shitdick Schreier on Kotaku.

Reactions: SpiceRacz

rickyEGM

Neo Member
Aug 29, 2019
I'm really surprised Abby hasn't quit giant bomb yet. I really thought she would have got bored and quit months ago. She always looks miserable and still knows next to nothing about gaming.

Reactions: Eraroten

BarmyDodger

Neo Member
Aug 15, 2018
I didn't really think the site could get even worse, but holy fuck guys what is even going on anymore.

Sleepy Nocchi

Jul 7, 2019
This latest trainwreck that Zoe Quinn has caused has pretty much given me enough reason to stop giving them my support with premium. Canceled it, and not gonna bother with their content anymore. Coming from someone who was there from the very beginning, since Jeff was fired from Gamespot, I was following what he was doing and where he was gonna go from the start. However, since the staff is clearly on the side of scumbags like Zoe Quinn, I refuse to give them my support anymore. I wish they would wake the fuck up, because after all these years, I thought I understood their personalities, and I never could have predicted they'd be on the wrong side of history like this. Wonder if Ryan would have been.

I don't use twitter, because it's a waste of fucking time, but I never understood the point of blocking someone, and why anyone cares if someone does it. All you gotta do is sign out and you can still just see their tweets lol

Sleepy Nocchi

Jul 7, 2019
Have they already been showing support for Zoe Quinn?
They've been smart enough to never really flaunting their support of her and people like her in their content for the most part, but you read between the lines, and you know it's there. Twitter posts, people like Abby and Ben on staff, talking about reading resetera, being friends with the Waypoint people who are clearly Zoe Supporters. Their E3 guests are some of the most cringe people in the industry.

TexMex

Neo Member
Aug 30, 2019
This latest trainwreck that Zoe Quinn has caused has pretty much given me enough reason to stop giving them my support with premium. Canceled it, and not gonna bother with their content anymore. Coming from someone who was there from the very beginning, since Jeff was fired from Gamespot, I was following what he was doing and where he was gonna go from the start. However, since the staff is clearly on the side of scumbags like Zoe Quinn, I refuse to give them my support anymore. I wish they would wake the fuck up, because after all these years, I thought I understood their personalities, and I never could have predicted they'd be on the wrong side of history like this. Wonder if Ryan would have been.

I don't use twitter, because it's a waste of fucking time, but I never understood the point of blocking someone, and why anyone cares if someone does it. All you gotta do is sign out and you can still just see their tweets lol
I didn't even @ her or write on her page. It was on a completely separate page where she was in the conversation, which means she goes out searching her own name looking for people to block.

• LOL
Reactions: VedderOA and brap

Sleepy Nocchi

Jul 7, 2019
I didn't even @ her or write on her page. It was on a completely separate page where she was in the conversation, which means she goes out searching her own name looking for people to block.
Sad. Sounds like a bit of a narcissist herself. Gotta stop the potential for seeing criticism before it even exists.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
I'm really surprised Abby hasn't quit giant bomb yet. I really thought she would have got bored and quit months ago. She always looks miserable and still knows next to nothing about gaming.
What else is she going to do? They hired her practically straight out of college. She’s hardly had a real job. She lucked into this cushy position on a popular gaming website that she wasn’t even qualified for. Vinny literally had to teach her on the job all the technical aspects of her position. They just wanted a woman at all costs and they got one, even if she knew fuck all about games and her job duties. At one point, I could have seen Waypoint hiring her, but they’ve been gutted now, so her only other option is stand up comedy. I’ve never seen her stand up, but I’d feel secure in betting my house on the fact that it is very cringey and extremely unfunny.

That’s pathetic, but not surprising.

pochepiller2

Neo Member
Aug 4, 2019
I'll would watch a documentary about the downfall of giant bomb. Would the turning point be the buyout by CBS?

Last edited:

rickyEGM

Neo Member
Aug 29, 2019

Yeah I know how you feel too. Have watched/listened/read Giant Bomb from the beginning because I wanted to follow Jeff and Ryan and liked them as personalities. I haven't always agreed with Jeff's takes on games, but was always curious to see how he felt about them. The site was goofy and fun and purposely apolitical which I loved. I don't wanna hear Brad's retarded thoughts on politics, I wanna hear enthusiastic level talk on this hobby and dumb games we all enjoy. Slowly this site has morphed into something else and with the hires of people like Patrick, Austin, Abby, and Ben all the stuff I hate about modern gaming publications is leaking into Giant Bomb and making the site worse. I struggle getting through Bombcast now. I wouldn't care how cucky they were if they didn't let that affect the product, but they are.

It's dark times right now for this site. Still, I think the heyday of Patrick, when Ryan had recently died, and Jeff was largely missing was the lowest point. Right now isn't far behind.

If they had to hire a woman why did it have to be Abby? Whyyyyy?

Reactions: TexMex and Scopa

Sleepy Nocchi

Jul 7, 2019
Yeah I know how you feel too. Have watched/listened/read Giant Bomb from the beginning because I wanted to follow Jeff and Ryan and liked them as personalities. I haven't always agreed with Jeff's takes on games, but was always curious to see how he felt about them. The site was goofy and fun and purposely apolitical which I loved. I don't wanna hear Brad's retarded thoughts on politics, I wanna hear enthusiastic level talk on this hobby and dumb games we all enjoy. Slowly this site has morphed into something else and with the hires of people like Patrick, Austin, Abby, and Ben all the stuff I hate about modern gaming publications is leaking into Giant Bomb and making the site worse. I struggle getting through Bombcast now. I wouldn't care how cucky they were if they didn't let that affect the product, but they are.

It's dark times right now for this site. Still, I think the heyday of Patrick, when Ryan had recently died, and Jeff was largely missing was the lowest point. Right now isn't far behind.

If they had to hire a woman why did it have to be Abby? Whyyyyy?
Yeah, I am so not against having a woman on the crew, but Abby always tries to make herself sooo insufferable. Just when I wanna listen and laugh along with the content, she says something so annoying and stupid because she's got a large bug up her ass. On a recent beastcast, they were talking about Dracula Dead and Loving It, and because she's a pleb who doesn't know anything that was made before she was born, she looked up the movie while they were talking about it. Immediately she started sounding offended by the movie, because she saw some picture of women whose cleavage was showing from the movie. She had the same attitude on the last episode of Burgle my Bananas, and I knew it was coming because Candy Kong showed up...Candy Kong is cringe, but because she's a monkey wearing skimpy clothes, not because it's a female wearing skimpy clothes which was obviously the problem Abby had with her. This modern feminism attitude where "women should do whatever they want, as long as it fits my standards" is so fucking annoying, and Abby is the embodiment of it.

I've been able to get by still somewhat enjoying the site, because I still think Vinny is a great guy, and Dan is a funny goofball at times. I didn't even hate Austin at first, because when he was with the site, he made some funny content and bounced off Vinny's antics well. Once he made waypoint though, I was like ....oh he's one of those people who thinks he's a real "journalist" by pushing his political bull shit.

GBwest is just a complete waste of fucking time though. Ben is a fucking nightmare to watch and listen to, and I can't do it 90% of the time. He's got a face meant for radio, and a voice meant for reading. I don't want to see or hear him at all, and yet he's in most content GBwest produces, so I just end up avoiding all of it. I feel like Jeff has become a changed man since Ryan died, and him getting married and now being a father...hey, I'm happy for him, but I think he's just not into making good content anymore. Even when he streams from home, it seems like he just plays the same old games over and over. He doesn't even realize that he's played the same games on it probably. It feels like he's becoming a tired old man now set in his ways, which is fine, and I'm happy if he's happy, but it doesn't make for producing good content. I've already said it before in the thread also, but I have nothing against Jason and Jan personally, but they're just boring as fuck, and I don't care about anything they produce. Then there's Brad, one of the few remaining of the original crew, and probably the one I always liked the least. Always comes across as lazy, and acts like sitting at his desk browsing twitter is doing work. Always thought he has shitty tastes, and his opinions also scream old man set in his ways. I get soooo tired of when Brad says "this series died to me when X game came out", like give me a fucking break...he's said stuff like this regarding series like Final Fantasy and Mega Man. FFIV and Mega Man 3 are good Brad, but it's not like those series didn't produce amazing games after it.

I feel bad for Dan sometimes though, because out of the entire staff, I feel like he's the only one who wants to come up with fun ideas for producing content. Everyone else acts like doing anything beyond sitting in front of the camera, on the same set as everything else is too much work. It's not like they're getting nice salaries, with nice benefits, that some people could only dream of. No, sitting and producing content where you just play video games is such hard work.

Slight change in terms of thought, but I still never understood why they killed TNT after Ryan died. They say that it was "Ryan's thing", but umm...it was still a way for them to interact with their community which they barely do. I always felt like not continuing his show was like shitting on his memory more than anything.

Last edited:

rickyEGM

Neo Member
Aug 29, 2019
Dan is for sure one of the only reasons I keep up with Giant Bomb.

Take a look at these two introductions of a personal game of the year list...

Brad:

Well, what a year. Writing a piece about the best games of 2017 and only talking about games would feel insincere, if not downright irresponsible, so here goes. This isn't a conventional list of 10 games because, frankly, I barely finished 10 games in 2017, and I sure spent large swaths of it thinking about games no more than was required for my job. In a year when callousness, hatred, and greed held sway, when a large portion of the populace seemed to renounce its desire for basic facts, and when new affronts to common decency arrived by the day, it usually felt like there were more urgent things to pay attention to. I spent what was probably an unhealthy amount of time transfixed by all the shocking developments, both in the United States and around the world, in this strange new era in which we find ourselves. More often than not it was impossible to look away.

As 2017 lurched and shambled on and it became clear this is going to be our reality for the foreseeable future, I slowly drifted back into games and managed to catch up on quite a few of them in the last third of the year. It's probably a sign that I've been relatively fortunate up to now that this year was the first time I fully embraced playing games as a form of escapism and not just entertainment. Below you'll find, um, most of the games I played this year; I couldn't put together a list of 10 games that I felt totally confident about including on a "top 10 list," so I hedged with this format instead. Or maybe I just felt the need to say something nice about as many games as I could fit into this space.

Compared to Dan's GOTY intro:

Hey! I’m Dan and I work here. You’ve probably already heard me talk for dozens of hours about the games on this list, so here’s me talking about them some more!

Just fuck off Brad. You have twitter to constantly pretend the world is ending.

Sleepy Nocchi

Jul 7, 2019

Take a look at these two introductions of a personal game of the year list...

Brad:

Well, what a year. Writing a piece about the best games of 2017 and only talking about games would feel insincere, if not downright irresponsible, so here goes. This isn't a conventional list of 10 games because, frankly, I barely finished 10 games in 2017, and I sure spent large swaths of it thinking about games no more than was required for my job. In a year when callousness, hatred, and greed held sway, when a large portion of the populace seemed to renounce its desire for basic facts, and when new affronts to common decency arrived by the day, it usually felt like there were more urgent things to pay attention to. I spent what was probably an unhealthy amount of time transfixed by all the shocking developments, both in the United States and around the world, in this strange new era in which we find ourselves. More often than not it was impossible to look away.

As 2017 lurched and shambled on and it became clear this is going to be our reality for the foreseeable future, I slowly drifted back into games and managed to catch up on quite a few of them in the last third of the year. It's probably a sign that I've been relatively fortunate up to now that this year was the first time I fully embraced playing games as a form of escapism and not just entertainment. Below you'll find, um, most of the games I played this year; I couldn't put together a list of 10 games that I felt totally confident about including on a "top 10 list," so I hedged with this format instead. Or maybe I just felt the need to say something nice about as many games as I could fit into this space.

Compared to Dan's GOTY intro:

Hey! I’m Dan and I work here. You’ve probably already heard me talk for dozens of hours about the games on this list, so here’s me talking about them some more!

Just fuck off Brad. You have twitter to constantly pretend the world is ending.
Wow...I usually never read GOTY lists, but that post by Brad. That's just depressing as hell. Ya know he's right, the world sucks, it's always sucked in some part of the globe, but if we dwell on it like that, then no wonder we're in a constant state of depression. Jesus Brad, go work in another field though if you can't do your job properly, oh wait...that's because you don't have any qualifications for anything else, and if he did, he doesn't seem like he has any ambition to do anything else. It's much easier to sit on your ass all day, and pretend you're not part of the fucking problem in the world, supporting an shit economy like San Francisco. But I digress. I can bitch about things that don't relate to the subject of what we're really talking about too. That kind of thing accomplishes nothing, and it sure doesn't serve his readers, especially when that's not what they're there for.

Feel like that is just another perfect reason why giving up Giant Bomb is gonna be a good thing for me in the long run. Waste of time listening to people like that when I don't want to live the rest of my life in an eternal state of depression.

Reactions: Shad0w59

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Exactly. I’ve said it before, I don’t do the Patreon thing, but if Dan left and started his own thing, I’d probably throw him some money. He needs to leave before those miserable cunts suck the enthusiasm and life out of him.

Sleepy Nocchi

Jul 7, 2019
I wish they hired Mary. She was cool.
She works for twitch now, right? Twitch is fucked up for completely different reasons. I don't really watch twitch streamers, but it's always seemed messed up to me how the platform has basically become a camwhore site for children. They let thots on there get away with anything they want, and twitch is okay with it. The fact that she works for such a company makes me question her standing a little. I enjoyed her when she showed up on giantbomb, but I never really watched her on gamespot, because i didn't watch gamespot at all, so I can't say I know what she's like normally. Can't deny she's also more pleasing on the eyes than Abby is, that's for damn sure. She's cute when she laughs.

Reactions: brap

brap

Jan 9, 2018
She works for twitch now, right? Twitch is fucked up for completely different reasons. I don't really watch twitch streamers, but it's always seemed messed up to me how the platform has basically become a camwhore site for children. They let thots on there get away with anything they want, and twitch is okay with it. The fact that she works for such a company makes me question her standing a little. I enjoyed her when she showed up on giantbomb, but I never really watched her on gamespot, because i didn't watch gamespot at all, so I can't say I know what she's like normally. Can't deny she's also more pleasing on the eyes than Abby is, that's for damn sure. She's cute when she laughs.
Yeah. I don't really know anything about her either other than she went to some feminism rally thing. Can't be as bad as Abby though. Somebody who dresses up like this won't get triggered by anything remotely sexual like Abby. Abby's a sex negative feminist.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Sleepy Nocchi

Sleepy Nocchi

Jul 7, 2019
Yeah. I don't really know anything about her either other than she went to some feminism rally thing. Can't be as bad as Abby though. Somebody who dresses up like this won't get triggered by anything remotely sexual like Abby. Abby's a sex negative feminist.

I miss seeing women dress like that bottom picture. Classy and beautiful. It's probably why I find myself attracted to Japanese women so much, they know how to look feminine and pretty. When I visited in Japan, all the women were attractive lol.

Abby is probably so sex negative, because she knows she couldn't pull it off, and she's probably jealous of women who can look pretty. She really does look like a clown when she tries to wear makeup, did no one teach how to apply it, or what shades work with her skin complexion? She's just not feminine.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2012
Dan's personal podcast with his wife is a great alternative. And yeah, if Dan left GB there would seriously be nothing left. Dan is the only reason I keep going back. His genuine enthusiasm (even if it's not) is the best thing going on that site.

I'll always have a soft spot for GB. But MAN... what happened?

Reactions: SpiceRacz

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Tried to give the new episode a spin since Jeff was back and he loved Control so I wanted to hear what he had to say.

Nope.

For one, Ben should stop bringing up Twin Peaks when discussing it. Yes there is a bit of Lynch influence, but it's not fucking Alan Wake. Someone should've piped up with "Yeah so how is Control similar to Twin Peaks? (because it isn't) but NOPE.

Number two, their tip toeing around "spoilers" is asinine. They wouldn't even speak of the Levitation power (even though its shown in trailers and YT reviews) and simply pussyfooted around it like idiots as if it was some massive fucking twist. It's comparable to the high jump boots in Metroid. It's fucking nothing.

It's like any sort of remotely in depth game discussion is off the table since spoiler culture has reached such insane levels of retardation.

Goddamn this show is such a piece of shit.

KingMoron

Dec 10, 2018
Tried to give the new episode a spin since Jeff was back and he loved Control so I wanted to hear what he had to say.

Nope.

For one, Ben should stop bringing up Twin Peaks when discussing it. Yes there is a bit of Lynch influence, but it's not fucking Alan Wake. Someone should've piped up with "Yeah so how is Control similar to Twin Peaks? (because it isn't) but NOPE.

Number two, their tip toeing around "spoilers" is asinine. They wouldn't even speak of the Levitation power (even though its shown in trailers and YT reviews) and simply pussyfooted around it like idiots as if it was some massive fucking twist. It's comparable to the high jump boots in Metroid. It's fucking nothing.

It's like any sort of remotely in depth game discussion is off the table since spoiler culture has reached such insane levels of retardation.

Goddamn this show is such a piece of shit.
Did you enjoy Ben's lip smacking and mucus throat gurgling?

• Triggered
  • LOL
Reactions: Scopa and brap