• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT1| The real Bomb shelter

SLUG_____

Neo Member
Aug 29, 2019
I couldn't make it through the first ep of that and I haven't even tried the second. I can't believe the like/dislike ratio on it.

Reactions: TexMex

santeesioux

Mar 25, 2013
Pacific Northwest
I was in the old neogaf Giant Bomb threads and never made the trek over to you know where for obvious reasons. I'm glad to see there's some like minded people that can actually talk about the current state of this site in an unbiased manner without getting banned lol.

Reactions: Scopa

KingMoron

Dec 10, 2018
I was in the old neogaf Giant Bomb threads and never made the trek over to you know where for obvious reasons. I'm glad to see there's some like minded people that can actually talk about the current state of this site in an unbiased manner without getting banned lol.
Welcome....pull up a chair.

rickyEGM

Neo Member
Aug 29, 2019
I got permanently banned from posting at giant bomb because I made one comment complaining about Abby during game of the year.

• LOL
Reactions: TexMex

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind

Sleepy Nocchi

Jul 7, 2019
Yeah, this whole thread has finally let me take a sigh of relief. It seems like every other possible outlet to talk about Giant Bomb existed only to praise them, and criticism was not allowed. Talk bad about anyone, and you get blasted, or banned. It's like everyone knows Abby and Ben fucking suck, but no one's allowed to say it.

I got permanently banned from posting at giant bomb because I made one comment complaining about Abby during game of the year.
That's nothing, you can almost expect it there. I got permanently banned for saying I was tired of all the wrestling talk/content on the site a couple years ago. What is up with the correlation between video game people, and wrestling so much in recent years? I never noticed it before, but it's mind boggling. Wrestling is so stupid.

Last edited:
Reactions: VedderOA

brap

Formerly 'xXxKi$$e$&Razorblade$xXx'
Jan 9, 2018
That's nothing, you can almost expect it there. I got permanently banned for saying I was tired of all the wrestling talk/content on the site a couple years ago. What is up with the correlation between video game people, and wrestling so much in recent years? I never noticed it before, but it's mind boggling. Wrestling is so stupid.
because its sooooo weird and over the top haha. look at man with big muscles yelling its so funny hehe. i wish i wasnt a soyboy and had muscles lol.

ArchaeEnkidu

Vincit qui se vincit
Jan 30, 2018
Yeah, this whole thread has finally let me take a sigh of relief. It seems like every other possible outlet to talk about Giant Bomb existed only to praise them, and criticism was not allowed. Talk bad about anyone, and you get blasted, or banned. It's like everyone knows Abby and Ben fucking suck, but no one's allowed to say it.

Reminds me of the Easy Allies. Can't criticism them anywhere it seems.

Reactions: Revolutionary

Sleepy Nocchi

Jul 7, 2019
because its sooooo weird and over the top haha. look at man with big muscles yelling its so funny hehe. i wish i wasnt a soyboy and had muscles lol.
I can get behind over the top, stupid action, but like in a good action movie. Like Commando, or other classic 80s action flicks. Wresting is not that though...it's like a soap opera, where most of it is all these long stares, and telling you to tune in next time. With a few seconds of bad stupid looking fake fights in between. God it sucks.

• Triggered
Reactions: Scopa and brap

Manus

Jan 12, 2009
Actually watched the Gears of War 5 quick look since that was the first time I can remember when it was just Jeff and Brad.

Ben wasn't on it for once!

Reactions: SpiceRacz

JovianLizards

Neo Member
Sep 9, 2019
I had to join here to talk about how bad the site has become. I've been a fan of on the spot and then Giant Bomb since it began. It feels so different now. I'm re-watching the Deadly Premonition endurance run with Brad and Ryan, and am laughing at how Ryan would probably be fired now for some of the things he said about various characters, especially Thomas.

Now, anything they play has them pussy footing around anything even remotely offensive. And all of the original staff has made jokes in the not too distant past that they now would never make. So you have to assume that they're holding back because of our wonderfully politically correct present. It makes everything they do so dull and joyless.

Abby and Ben are horrible hires. Abby because she simply doesn't have the gaming or work experience to hang with Dan, Alex and Vinny. Ben because he just shouldn't be on camera and is not the right fit for Giant Bomb.

The East coast never seems to be able to get their streaming set up properly. Nearly every playdate or show has them wasting time correcting cameras or layouts. What did they hire Abby for again? Right, production. We can all see how well that's going.

The West coast has become so boring. Which is a very sad thing to say about a website that used to be on top of its game. They need to find something else to do on Fridays other than faff around on steam while Brad and Jason sleep in the background.

The forums are echo chamber city. Any criticism of the staff is harshly dealt with, especially Abby. One of the Moderators there, Sparky Buzzsaw, posted a reply to Abbys' Tweet about Cate Blanchett's husband and people were falling over themselves to defend her. The Comment sections on videos with Abby are almost always just adoration and praise for her despite her saying or doing something stupid or annoying every video she's in.

Sorry for the rant and wall of text, I just am so disappointed with how my favorite website has turned out.

SpiceRacz

Feb 27, 2017
Hazuki Dojo
Ben because he just shouldn't be on camera and is not the right fit for Giant Bomb.
Pretty much. Ben is fucking boring to listen to. Not just his voice, but he over-explains everything. He's never concise with his explanation of games or what he's trying to say. It doesn't help that he's not remotely funny. Like at all. Try getting through the first minute of any Ranking of Fighters video without cringing.

JovianLizards

Neo Member
Sep 9, 2019
Pretty much. Ben is fucking boring to listen to. Not just his voice, but he over-explains everything. He's never concise with his explanation of games or what he's trying to say. It doesn't help that he's not remotely funny. Like at all. Try getting through the first minute of any Ranking of Fighters video without cringing.
Yeah, I think these are all fair criticisms for a man whose job is to speak and explain for hours on end on a pretty popular website that is known for being the MST3K of video games. Maybe Jeff felt bad for the guy, but I just don't understand why he would hire someone for Giant Bomb who needs to go to speech therapy and is very awkward on camera. I mean, I don't want Giant Bomb to turn into IGN with model presenters, but come on, there is a mid road there.

Reactions: SpiceRacz

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Oh, I dunno, his “gay/I’m so not gay” stories about his youth and social outings are always hilarious.

brap

Jan 9, 2018
Yeah, I think these are all fair criticisms for a man whose job is to speak and explain for hours on end on a pretty popular website that is known for being the MST3K of video games. Maybe Jeff felt bad for the guy, but I just don't understand why he would hire someone for Giant Bomb who needs to go to speech therapy and is very awkward on camera. I mean, I don't want Giant Bomb to turn into IGN with model presenters, but come on, there is a mid road there.
Ben was an intern before. He can trust him and let's face it Ben isn't going anywhere in life. Jeff didn't want another Austin situation on his hands. Motherfucker was there for like a year before jumping ship.

JovianLizards

Neo Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ben was an intern before. He can trust him and let's face it Ben isn't going anywhere in life. Jeff didn't want another Austin situation on his hands. Motherfucker was there for like a year before jumping ship.
I remember the interns, Steve, Kessler, I think Drew was intern at one point I guess. I remember Ryan torturing Steve and Kessler with Farmville. Those were better times.

Reactions: brap

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Welcome, JovianLizards

Yeah Ben was an intern and was around during the Ryan days. They mention him a couple back times as far back as 2011 or so.

Abby has connections to whoever that Casey Malone guy is (I guess a friend of the site?). That's how she got the in. Never made a lick of sense to me. Like this is really who was the BEST candidate for the job? Fucking really?

They never hire anyone outside of connections already made. That's part of the reason why the site is just so fucking boring. They need actual fresh faces. The rule of "Only Hire Friends Of Jeff" needs to go.

JovianLizards

Neo Member
Sep 9, 2019
Welcome, JovianLizards

Yeah Ben was an intern and was around during the Ryan days. They mention him a couple back times as far back as 2011 or so.

Abby has connections to whoever that Casey Malone guy is (I guess a friend of the site?). That's how she got the in. Never made a lick of sense to me. Like this is really who was the BEST candidate for the job? Fucking really?

They never hire anyone outside of connections already made. That's part of the reason why the site is just so fucking boring. They need actual fresh faces. The rule of "Only Hire Friends Of Jeff" needs to go.
Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, if that's true about Abby, it's pretty sad. I remember there was some false outrage about Giant Bomb never hiring women before Abby got hired so I always assumed she was a token diversity hire. So, it's bad enough that they caved to that pressure, but they at least could've hired a qualified woman.

Reactions: Revolutionary

JovianLizards

Neo Member
Sep 9, 2019
Man, I'm watching the latest episode of burgle my bananas and they yet again have technical and overlay issues at the beginning of the video. At around the thirteen minute mark, Abby has to ask Vinny for help with the Tricaster, so he has to stop playing to help her. Jeez Louise, what has Abby learned in all the time she has been there? She still needs help from Vinny with production? Amazing.

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
What’s even worse is that they kinda can’t get rid of her, especially nowadays. Imagine the outrage if they actually let her go because of incompetence, dwindling memberships, not being a good fit, you name it. The site would be nuked from fucking orbit from a bazillion directions within 48 hours.

You can only hope she’ll just move on to something else, like her fantastic stand up comedy.

Last edited:
Reactions: rickyEGM

Sleepy Nocchi

Jul 7, 2019
Man, I'm watching the latest episode of burgle my bananas and they yet again have technical and overlay issues at the beginning of the video. At around the thirteen minute mark, Abby has to ask Vinny for help with the Tricaster, so he has to stop playing to help her. Jeez Louise, what has Abby learned in all the time she has been there? She still needs help from Vinny with production? Amazing.
Yeah...sometimes I wonder what the fuck is up with this multi thousand dollar piece of equipment that always seems to break for them. My desktop with OBS has less issues then their fucking tricaster.

JovianLizards

Neo Member
Sep 9, 2019
Yeah...sometimes I wonder what the fuck is up with this multi thousand dollar piece of equipment that always seems to break for them. My desktop with OBS has less issues then their fucking tricaster.
Yeah, most of what they do involves the tricaster, their business revolves around it. Can they not fix it or get a new one? Since they are charging for premium content you'd think they would sort that out. Also, my god do they ever need a bigger studio. Can CBS not afford the space?

brap

Jan 9, 2018
Yeah, most of what they do involves the tricaster, their business revolves around it. Can they not fix it or get a new one? Since they are charging for premium content you'd think they would sort that out. Also, my god do they ever need a bigger studio. Can CBS not afford the space?
They were in a bigger studio now they're in a closet. Well GBW is. GBE has been in the same tiny room for years.

JovianLizards

Neo Member
Sep 9, 2019
They were in a bigger studio now they're in a closet. Well GBW is. GBE has been in the same tiny room for years.
Yeah, when it was just Alex and Vinny on the East coast I believe they were in the same room like three or four years ago. I guess CBS doesn't have much faith in them.

Sleepy Nocchi

Jul 7, 2019
I'm watching the new episode of Burgle my Bananas, and even though the first episode started out promising, it's just painful to watch now. I don't care how outdated a game is, they just suck at games if they can't grasp this stuff. Playing once a week doesn't probably help, but that's their own fault for not just recording a bunch of episodes first.

DK64 is hardly a great game, I'll admit that, but once they started the feature, I booted it up on my Wii U virtual console, and found myself kinda having fun with it. You can't just go in and expect it to be like a 2019 game, where every fucking thing is explained to you. You're supposed to explore. I breezed through the first 3 worlds in the game, getting every banana item for each character so far. No guide...just good old fashion playing a video game. It's nothing to do with their age either, because I'm 36 so I'm about the same age as Dan is, and older than Abby.

Last edited:
Reactions: Manus

JovianLizards

Neo Member
Sep 9, 2019
I'm watching the new episode of Burgle my Bananas, and even though the first episode started out promising, it's just painful to watch now. I don't care how outdated a game is, they just suck at games if they can't grasp this stuff. Playing once a week doesn't probably help, but that's their own fault for not just recording a bunch of episodes first.

DK64 is hardly a great game, I'll admit that, but once they started the feature, I booted it up on my Wii U virtual console, and found myself kinda having fun with it. You can't just go in and expect it to be like a 2019 game, where every fucking thing is explained to you. You're supposed to explore. I breezed through the first 3 worlds in the game, getting every banana item for each character so far. No guide...just good old fashion playing a video game. It's nothing to do with their age either, because I'm 36 so I'm about the same age as Dan is, and older than Abby.
Yeah, i'm not sure why they even put all the effort into this feature. They all seem miserable. They could've at least picked something they all relatively enjoyed.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
I remember when she took over editing and uploading the podcast. They were filled with editing and cutting mistakes. Incorrect timing overlays and syncs. Even like 20 minutes of dead air at the end of a podcast. It was hilarious.

I’ve edited podcasts before. It’s time consuming, but very easy. Especially for someone much younger than me, like Abby who has grown up with a computer like a fifth limb. You just have to not be a lazy moron to get it right.

Abby is just dense as fuck. A total space cadet who, unfortunately for her, doesn’t have the bombshell looks to cancel that aspect out.

Sleepy Nocchi

Jul 7, 2019
Yeah, i'm not sure why they even put all the effort into this feature. They all seem miserable. They could've at least picked something they all relatively enjoyed.
Because as always, they don't actually do any preparation or planning it seems like. They clearly didn't play the game to test it at all before the feature. Don't make your big weekly feature something that you have no idea if it'll work or not.

Reactions: JovianLizards

JovianLizards

Neo Member
Sep 9, 2019
I remember when she took over editing and uploading the podcast. They were filled with editing and cutting mistakes. Incorrect timing overlays and syncs. Even like 20 minutes of dead air at the end of a podcast. It was hilarious.

I’ve edited podcasts before. It’s time consuming, but very easy. Especially for someone much younger than me, like Abby who has grown up with a computer like a fifth limb. You just have to not be a lazy moron to get it right.

Abby is just dense as fuck. A total space cadet who, unfortunately for her, doesn’t have the bombshell looks to cancel that aspect out.
Wow, I haven't really kept up with the podcasts so I didn't realize her incompetence extended there. They need to fire Abby and rehire Drew to the East coast. I know that wont happen, but a man can dream.

Sleepy Nocchi

Jul 7, 2019
I do think that part of Giant Bomb's current problem, besides the obvious Abby and Ben suck part, is CBSi. I'd like to think the reason their output sucks so much sometimes is the pressure they get from CBSi suits...doing meetings and having to report on what they do, probably wastes a lot of their time. It's gotta be something like that, right? Because it seemed like when they were working out of a basement, and no big corporation was breathing down their necks, they had all the time in the world to do what they want, when they wanted. That's why we were able to get things like the Endurance Run made, and so many great quick looks at a good pace.

Even with that excuse though, it's mind boggling how shitty the output now is when you got not 1, but 2 offices across both sides of the country producing content, and yet it's weaker then ever.

Lmao, this gave me a good laugh.

Last edited:

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Being controlled by CBS is definitely a huge part of why they are the way they are right now

Last edited: