• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Giant Bomb |OT1| The real Bomb shelter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2010
I naturally fell off of GiantBomb around the time of Ryan's passing (RIP). Got back into it years later through watching specific features and the occasional quick look. I missed a lot of the Austin years and started paying more attention around Abby & Ben's second year. Every once and a while I go back and catch up with the stuff I missed and recently I went through the 2017 GOTY features...

Holy shit, I now understand more than ever why people dislike Abby so much. That GOTY deliberation was straight up painful. Abby would be the most ignorant on a topic and yet have the strongest opinion in the room. The Dream Daddy talk is obviously the worst example of it. Where she literally says that she doesn't play Visual Novels and yet can definitively claim that Dream Daddy is "advancing the genre." Which is clearly nothing more than it tickling her woke preference for queer romance.

Dan rightfully calls out the obvious stupidity of declaring a game "advances a genre" that you have no understanding of. But he's then ridiculously argued down by Vinny and Abby. Who literally use their ignorance as a defense of the claim "well this is the visual novel I got into, so the fact that it attracted me says something." No, no, no... it really doesn't. That's a cop-out, weak as hell, argument and a sad last ditch attempt to save face for Abby because she blatantly said some really stupid shit. "Bush really pushed alternative rock foward because it's the album that I got into." "Pixes? Radiohead? Nah fuck that. Sixteen Stone shits on OK Computer because I happened to get into it instead." The fact of the matter is: if you literally don't fucking know what the rest of the genre is like then you have no basis by which to judge whether or not the ONE game you played pushes anything forward. There's no getting around that.

Let alone the fact that it's not like Dream Daddy was just some undeniable work of peerless brilliance that rose through the ranks by word of mouth alone. The only reason it's "the one you got into" is because it had a huge social media push from its Game Grumps association. It's borderline insulting. Japanese devs have been cranking out these games, developing the genre for decades now, making however many stand-out titles... and the second some popular american YTers dip their toe in the water it's the best thing ever? And you're saying this without even having played any of the other games???

The comment section full of white knighting was abysmal as well. Not only would the same criticisms be levied at a dude, it might actually be worse because there would far less terminally woke pod-people trying to save Abby from the threat of self reflection by spinning her disastrous performance as a good thing.

Last edited:

Loserwhosbetteroffdead

Formerly 'Sleepy Nocchi'
Jul 7, 2019
I naturally fell off of GiantBomb around the time of Ryan's passing (RIP). Got back into it years later through watching specific features and the occasional quick look. I missed a lot of the Austin years and started paying more attention around Abby & Ben's second year. Every once and a while I go back and catch up with the stuff I missed and recently I went through the 2017 GOTY features...

Holy shit, I know understand more than ever why people dislike Abby so much. That GOTY deliberation was straight up painful. Abby would be the most ignorant on a topic and yet have the strongest opinion in the room. The Dream Daddy talk is obviously the worst example of it. Where she literally says that she doesn't play Visual Novels and yet can definitively claim that Dream Daddy is "advancing the genre." Which is clearly nothing more than it tickling her woke preference for queer romance.

Dan rightfully calls out the obvious stupidity of declaring a game "advances a genre" that you have no understanding of. But he's then ridiculously argued down by Vinny and Abby. Who literally use their ignorance as a defense of the claim "well this is the visual novel I got into, so the fact that it attracted me says something." No, no, no... it really doesn't. That's a cop-out, weak as hell, argument and a sad last ditch attempt to save face for Abby because she blatantly said some really stupid shit. "Bush really pushed alternative rock foward because it's the album that I got into." "Pixes? Radiohead? Nah fuck that. Sixteen Stone shits on OK Computer because I happened to get into it instead." The fact of the matter is: if you literally don't fucking know what the rest of the genre is like then you have no basis by which to judge whether or not the ONE game you played pushes anything forward. There's no getting around that.

Let alone the fact that it's not like Dream Daddy was just some undeniable work of peerless brilliance that rose through the ranks by word of mouth alone. The only reason it's "the one you got into" is because it had a huge social media push from its Game Grumps association. It's borderline insulting. Japanese devs have been cranking out these games, developing the genre for decades now, making however many stand-out titles... and the second some popular american YTers dip their toe in the water it's the best thing ever? And you're saying this without even having played any of the other games???

The comment section full of white knighting was abysmal as well. Not only would the same criticisms be levied at a dude, it might actually be worse because there would far less terminally woke pod-people trying to save Abby from the threat of self reflection by spinning her disastrous performance as a good thing.
God, I'm glad I skipped the goty in recent years...you make me curious to want to see this myself though. Do you know what episode and around what timestamp some of these discussions take place?

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019

Holy shit, I know understand more than ever why people dislike Abby so much. That GOTY deliberation was straight up painful. Abby would be the most ignorant on a topic and yet have the strongest opinion in the room. The Dream Daddy talk is obviously the worst example of it. Where she literally says that she doesn't play Visual Novels and yet can definitively claim that Dream Daddy is "advancing the genre." Which is clearly nothing more than it tickling her woke preference for queer romance.

I can't wait for this years GOTY podcasts. Abby will no doubt have more insane feminist talking points to spew.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
God, I'm glad I skipped the goty in recent years...you make me curious to want to see this myself though. Do you know what episode and around what timestamp some of these discussions take place?
You should look up her GOTY discussions on Nier and God of War. Yowza, you're in for a treat.

Oct 14, 2010
I can't wait for this years GOTY podcasts. Abby will no doubt have more insane feminist talking points to spew.

As far as a time stamp idk. The bulk of the Dream Daddy talk is somewhere after the half-way point. Just skip around until you hear Dan's soul leave his body.

Also that ratio... The YT comments are a lot more honest than the GB comments.

Loserwhosbetteroffdead

Formerly 'Sleepy Nocchi'
Jul 7, 2019

As far as a time stamp idk. The bulk of the Dream Daddy talk is somewhere after the half-way point. Just skip around until you hear Dan's soul leave his body.

Also that ratio... The YT comments are a lot more honest than the GB comments.
The fact that Dream Daddy is even discussed in the BEST GAME category on this is fucking disgraceful. I thought people were talking about maybe best moment, or best character when they said that Abby was pushing for Dream Daddy, but Best game? jesus christ.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
But he's then ridiculously argued down by Vinny and Abby.
I hate to say it because I used to love the guy, but Vinny is 99% of the reason why Abby is there and why she is so emboldened to be a shit head with no repercussions.

He hired her even though she knows fuck all about gaming. He championed her. He made excuses for her even when she said ridiculous and/or incorrect statements. He put her in charge of technical shit even though she had zero experience. He put her in charge of the email section and makes sure to mention every episode that she reads all podcast emails, so if you want to put in a complaint or constructive criticism, it ain’t getting through. It’s the reason the email section went from hilarious to mind-numbingly boring. He bent over backwards for her like the fate of humanity depended on it. His white-knighting is off the charts.

It is the reason why she felt she could sing “FUCK YOU!” to Giant Bomb fans who don’t like her when she was at PAX recently because she knew she was protected from any blowback.

If I had to bet money on it, I’d wager that Vinny has a little stiffy for Abby and hides it behind his white armour.

And that’s without even going into how insufferable he has become as a 40+ year old taking on the traits of a woke tumblr millenial.

In short: Current year Vinny sucks so much balls and I’d be embarrassed to be in the same room as him.

Oct 14, 2010
I hate to say it because I used to love the guy, but Vinny is 99% of the reason why Abby is there and why she is so emboldened to be a shit head with no repercussions.
If that's the case it isn't fair to her either. You can't ever improve if you're constantly being told that you're shit doesn't stink and anyone who's saying otherwise is just some kind of hater or troll.

In a vacuum I'd say that Abby has more potential as a games entertainer than someone like Ben. I've actually enjoyed her on streams before (I do like her Nancy Drew streams. She seems genuinely enthusiastic about the games and she's fairly knowledgeable about a long running series that often gets looked over. That's interesting) and I cant even listen to him. But after hearing that GOTY feature my impression of her has lessened severely and it's brought her other bad moments into sharper focus.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Feb 27, 2017
Hazuki Dojo
It's sad watching what they've built go to shit. 2 garbage hires have basically alienated a large part of their audience. Their content as a whole has gotten noticeably worse and it feels like there's no enthusiasm anymore. I feel like we're witnessing the slow death of Giant Bomb. Maybe CBS will cut ties with them and they can go back to what made them great.

SpiceRacz

Feb 27, 2017
Hazuki Dojo
If that's the case it isn't fair to her either. You can't ever improve if you're constantly being told that you're shit doesn't stink and anyone who's saying otherwise is just some kind of hater or troll.

In a vacuum I'd say that Abby has more potential as a games entertainer than someone like Ben. I've actually enjoyed her on streams before (I do like her Nancy Drew streams. She seems genuinely enthusiastic about the games and she's fairly knowledgeable about a long running series that often gets looked over. That's interesting) and I cant even listen to him. But after hearing that GOTY feature my impression of her has lessened severely and it's brought her other bad moments into sharper focus.

You ever meet someone and the more time you spend and more you get to know them, the more you dislike them? That's Ben.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019

You really hit the nail on the head here. I don't see Abby ever improving.

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
The fact that Dream Daddy is even discussed in the BEST GAME category on this is fucking disgraceful. I thought people were talking about maybe best moment, or best character when they said that Abby was pushing for Dream Daddy, but Best game? jesus christ.
Even worse when you realize that it made the list over Persona 5 and Horizon.

Unfuckingbelievable.

Oct 14, 2010
Even worse when you realize that it made the list over Persona 5 and Horizon.

Unfuckingbelievable.
Which is pretty weird especially considering Jeff reviewed Horizon and gave it a perfect score. But during the deliberations seemed luke warm about it. Did something happen with regarding Horizon over the year, that I'm unaware of, that caused Jeff to sour on it? It didn't even make the top 10.

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Which is pretty weird especially considering Jeff reviewed Horizon and gave it a perfect score. But during the deliberations seemed luke warm about it. Did something happen with regarding Horizon over the year, that I'm unaware of, that caused Jeff to sour on it? It didn't even make the top 10.
People started reeeing about cultural appropriation with how the characters dressed. I guess it hit too close to home regarding Native American attire, I don’t know. Alls I know is the Native American history I studied growing up never mentioned robotic animal parts being used as bits of armor or trinkets.

Reactions: Radical Dreamer

Hudo

Jul 26, 2018
People started reeeing about cultural appropriation with how the characters dressed. I guess it hit too close to home regarding Native American attire, I don’t know. Alls I know is the Native American history I studied growing up never mentioned robotic animal parts being used as bits of armor or trinkets.
Did you never hear that the Comanche tribe built prototype attack helicopters to defend their lands? Unfortunately, the only tribe that successfully managed to mass-produce attack helicopters were the Apache.

O-N-E

Jul 11, 2018
You know, I wondered whether the fact that Ben started and abandoned the Kingdom Hearts feature would ever be acknowledged. Not that it was worth watching as he clearly didn't give a shit about any of it from the word "go".

Then Jeff made some passive-aggressive comments about it, I think during last week's Bombcast. Ben proceeded to nervously laugh and look down. That was good. More of that, Jeff.

Last edited:

Rei no Otaku

Jul 4, 2008
Cranston, RI
I haven't posted on GAF in forever, but this really seems like the only place where you can even criticize GB. I still love the site. Most of the staff members I enjoy watching. Brad, and Abby are killing me though.

Brad has an amazing job where all he has to do is play video games and talk about them, and he can't even be bothered to do that. Dude is half asleep every UPF and spends every Bombcast talking about how he should actually play some of the games they talk about. Then GOTY rolls around and he has 3 games on his entire list. He has no kids or "real" job to get in the way. I play more games in a month than he does in a year and I work 40+ hours a week and have three kids. It's a damn shame because I like his opinion on things, but he's never awake long enough to give it.

Abby has improved since she began, but she is still pretty bad. Her lack of knowledge about anything that happened prior to like 2005 is annoying as fuck. Half of any feature she's on is just a barrage of "What's that?" from her after every single reference. During one of the playdates, they were doing a version of Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon (which they called something else because Abby doesn't know who Kevin Bacon is) and after a little while of her never knowing anyone they would suggest Alex finally got fed up with her and yells "Fine, I'll try and think of someone born after 2000!" It was hilarious. She's a film major who's never seen Ghostbusters or a single Indiana Jones movie. That's not even getting into her utter lack of knowledge about the industry she's in. She's a clear case of getting a job you don't deserve simply due to knowing the right people.

I actually don't mind Ben. The only problem I have with him is he was the wrong hire for GBW. They need someone over there to liven them up and get some good, regular content. Instead they hired Ben who is kind of just a mash of Jeff and Jason. As was mentioned above, he was probably hired since Jeff knows he will never leave. Austin burned them badly when he left.

BibleBLACKED

Mar 20, 2017
The Podcast used to be my top priority when it came out, I always wanted to listen to it as quickly as possible. Now I barely do it. Tune in here and there. Truly a shame. The Beastcast I don't even bother with at all.

As ar as their video content concerned, outside of their e3 reactions if I start a video they put out I lose interest after about 5 minutes.

Last edited:

Loserwhosbetteroffdead

Formerly 'Sleepy Nocchi'
Jul 7, 2019
It was another victim of being a game that came out early in the year, and everyone forgot how good it was. It was double bad for Horizon, because even I forgot about the game as soon as Zelda came out, and never finished it.

Grechy34

Mar 29, 2015
Anyone else taken back by Jeffs love over Control? There are genuinely highly regarded and critically acclaimed games which Jeff has glossed over yet he seemed to heap praise on Control like it was certain GOTY when most review sites have it around the 8/10 mark. I haven't played Control so I wouldn't have the slightest idea of how good it is but I was taken aback at the affinity for it.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
You know, I wondered whether the fact that Ben started and abandoned the Kingdom Hearts feature would ever be acknowledged. Not that it was worth watching as he clearly didn't give a shit about any of it from the word "go".

Then Jeff made some passive-aggressive comments about it, I think during last week's Bombcast. Ben proceeded to nervously laugh and look down. That was good. More of that, Jeff.
Yeah, I wondered where that series went. Also, Jeff and Vinny let Ben and Abby have free reign on their respective coasts. They never seem to have the balls to do anything about them.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
The Podcast used to be my top priority when it came out, I always wanted to listen to it as quickly as possible. Now I barely do it. Tune in here and there. Truly a shame. The Beastcast I don't even bother with at all.

As ar as their video content concerned, outside of their e3 reactions if I start a video they put out I lose interest after about 5 minutes.
I am still amazed that Brad of all people was chosen to host the Bombcast after Ryan passed. Brad is such a lethargic killjoy on there.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
I haven't posted on GAF in forever, but this really seems like the only place where you can even criticize GB. I still love the site. Most of the staff members I enjoy watching. Brad, and Abby are killing me though.

Brad has an amazing job where all he has to do is play video games and talk about them, and he can't even be bothered to do that. Dude is half asleep every UPF and spends every Bombcast talking about how he should actually play some of the games they talk about. Then GOTY rolls around and he has 3 games on his entire list. He has no kids or "real" job to get in the way. I play more games in a month than he does in a year and I work 40+ hours a week and have three kids. It's a damn shame because I like his opinion on things, but he's never awake long enough to give it.

Abby has improved since she began, but she is still pretty bad. Her lack of knowledge about anything that happened prior to like 2005 is annoying as fuck. Half of any feature she's on is just a barrage of "What's that?" from her after every single reference. During one of the playdates, they were doing a version of Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon (which they called something else because Abby doesn't know who Kevin Bacon is) and after a little while of her never knowing anyone they would suggest Alex finally got fed up with her and yells "Fine, I'll try and think of someone born after 2000!" It was hilarious. She's a film major who's never seen Ghostbusters or a single Indiana Jones movie. That's not even getting into her utter lack of knowledge about the industry she's in. She's a clear case of getting a job you don't deserve simply due to knowing the right people.

I actually don't mind Ben. The only problem I have with him is he was the wrong hire for GBW. They need someone over there to liven them up and get some good, regular content. Instead they hired Ben who is kind of just a mash of Jeff and Jason. As was mentioned above, he was probably hired since Jeff knows he will never leave. Austin burned them badly when he left.
I think it was a Resident Evil playdate where Abby uttered the phrase "Who's Greg Kasavin?" and It still blows my mind that she didn't know who Greg Kasavin was. He was such a big part of Gamespot and early Giant Bomb. Just goes to show that she didn't give a crap about Giant Bomb before she was hired.

Reactions: SpiceRacz

Rei no Otaku

Jul 4, 2008
Cranston, RI
I think it was a Resident Evil playdate where Abby uttered the phrase "Who's Greg Kasavin?" and It still blows my mind that she didn't know who Greg Kasavin was. He was such a big part of Gamespot and early Giant Bomb. Just goes to show that she didn't give a crap about Giant Bomb before she was hired.
What's even funnier about this is one her favorite games is Transistor, a game Greg Kasavin worked on.

TexMex

Aug 30, 2019

I feel like that comes out quite a bit. Jeff regularly seems extremely irritated by Ben (with good cause). This Modern Warfare stream is a good example of that.

Reactions: rickyEGM

eot

Apr 13, 2012
Anyone else taken back by Jeffs love over Control? There are genuinely highly regarded and critically acclaimed games which Jeff has glossed over yet he seemed to heap praise on Control like it was certain GOTY when most review sites have it around the 8/10 mark. I haven't played Control so I wouldn't have the slightest idea of how good it is but I was taken aback at the affinity for it.
It's very much like Jeff to praise a random average to good game way more than extremely well crafted games (see for example Syndicate).

Last edited:
Reactions: Grechy34

Loserwhosbetteroffdead

Formerly 'Sleepy Nocchi'
Jul 7, 2019
How do they not have a Borderlands 3 quick look yet, or even listed on upcoming content? Did they not get access to it early? I already own the game, but I was curious to see how much Jeff thinks it's not that good, lol.

brap

Jan 9, 2018
How do they not have a Borderlands 3 quick look yet, or even listed on upcoming content? Did they not get access to it early? I already own the game, but I was curious to see how much Jeff thinks it's not that good, lol.
Probably because they put out a vid a month ago on it

Rei no Otaku

Jul 4, 2008
Cranston, RI
They didn't get it early. According to Jeff on the last Bombcast, they weren't given an early copy because of how negative they were in that video posted a few posts up.

• LOL
Reactions: Revolutionary

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
In today's playdate Abby yet again has to have Vinny come in the booth and fix an audio issue. Vinny asks her if she can fix it and she goes "uhhhhhhhm....yeah". So he has to stop everything and fix it. Abby has worked there for over two years and can't fix an audio issue herself? Is Vinny getting some extramarital perks from this chick?

• LOL
Reactions: BibleBLACKED

Loserwhosbetteroffdead

Formerly 'Sleepy Nocchi'
Jul 7, 2019
I don't wanna think about Vinny that way...even if he is the one enabling Abby, I'd like to think...he at least is just treating her more like an overprotective father figure, than a guy who uses his authority for side action on one under his employ. He's still one of the more funny people left on the site, and seeing his genuine laughter on even some recent content is still some of the highlights of recent content.

CurryPanda

Will restrain his sexual perversions
Mar 4, 2019
I saw vinnys wife on one of his streams before and she looks similar to abby. Maybe he sees her like one of his kids because of that. Maybe he wants to shove his greasy foot long italian sausage into her ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mamma Mia

Status
Not open for further replies.