• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Giant Bomb |OT1| The real Bomb shelter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Point'N'Click

Banned
Sep 12, 2019
I can't say I agree. He's changed but Vinny is still massively entertaining.

But clearly you feel very passionately in the other direction which is fair enough.

Rei no Otaku

Jul 4, 2008
Cranston, RI
No, I'm totally bored of all PAX content, so the idea of just her and Jan running a show didn't appeal to me at all.

Personally, I think she gets way too much shit. Go one or two pages back here, with people posting close-ups of her face, making rude comments about her appearance, and saying she only got hired because Vinny wanted to fuck her.

We all know the far left like ResetERA is fucking insufferable, but then there's a lot of stuff here too far in the other direction, so we go round and round and round...
Yeah, I think making fun of people's physical features is wrong. It's why what Abby said about Cate Blanchett's husband was fucked up. I'm not going to stoop to her level though.

Their personalities are fair game though, it is a personality driven website after all. That is basically what they're selling.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Yeah, I think making fun of people's physical features is wrong. It's why what Abby said about Cate Blanchett's husband was fucked up. I'm not going to stoop to her level though.

Their personalities are fair game though, it is a personality driven website after all. That is basically what they're selling.
Abby looks like what would happen if Kenny G and Brent Spiner had a male child. There. Its all out of my system now. No more making fun of her looks. Are you happy now?

rofif

Sep 13, 2019
Lol her looks are fine(although I am not a fan of hairstyle). It's the personality and white knighting around her that's annoying. They are video game EXPERTS and now that pc guys are gone, none of them will even take a look at options. And goty discussions are pointless since barely anyone played anything and everyone is willing to five abby some free wins for whatever reason. The best goty was when they were passionately fighting about winners (2011 ftw even if they skipped Dark Souls)
Gamespot/giantbomb used to be a knowledgeable place full of people passionate about games. Now "most" of these people got old, tired and are not as interested in games clearly. And young people don't have enough game knowledge, seem ignorant and lack pc technical knowledge at all.

Point'N'Click

Banned
Sep 12, 2019
Lol her looks are fine(although I am not a fan of hairstyle). It's the personality and white knighting around her that's annoying. They are video game EXPERTS and now that pc guys are gone, none of them will even take a look at options. And goty discussions are pointless since barely anyone played anything and everyone is willing to five abby some free wins for whatever reason. The best goty was when they were passionately fighting about winners (2011 ftw even if they skipped Dark Souls)
Gamespot/giantbomb used to be a knowledgeable place full of people passionate about games. Now "most" of these people got old, tired and are not as interested in games clearly. And young people don't have enough game knowledge, seem ignorant and lack pc technical knowledge at all.
I'd give my right bollock for Dave Snider to come back with Random PC Game with Vinny.

Close the West office to pay for him.

Danny O'Dwyer used to be a great source for stuff like this when he popped up but some point between starting NoClip and being an awesome dude, he's now an insufferable preacher.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Dec 27, 2009
God, remember the stuff Vinny used to say about Nanako on the P4 Endurance Run? Vinny has become such a coward about jokes.
I can't imagine being able to make the kinds of jokes he used to back when Giant Bomb was entertaining. Gaming journalists(lol) would be calling for his firing and excommunication.

Reactions: JovianLizards

Loserwhosbetteroffdead

Formerly 'Sleepy Nocchi'
Jul 7, 2019
I wish I could donate to Drew's charity stream right now actually, but I just don't have the extra funds :/ I have a friend who has MS, and she's got a pretty severe version of it. Wish there was a way to help her constantly, but I just feel so helpless.

Guynamedbilly

Feb 28, 2018
I wish I could donate to Drew's charity stream right now actually, but I just don't have the extra funds :/ I have a friend who has MS, and she's got a pretty severe version of it. Wish there was a way to help her constantly, but I just feel so helpless.
I think if you know the person personally, unless they don't need it, it's better to directly give them a gift. You don't have to meet the stream's deadline that way and it would be very meaningful to her.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
I'm sorry about your friend. Just being there for her is huge to a person with any sort of illness.
Also, show her old Giant Bomb videos, they always cheer me up.

Last edited:

Grechy34

Mar 29, 2015
I remember there was an episode when the team were asked if they enjoyed gaming and the majority of them actually said they didn't. Dan was the only one that actually said he still loved playing video games. Unfortunately the rest of the crew have been doing this for so long, having to keep up with the latest games, continually playing things they don't want too which had led to a stale website. I still listen to the Beastcast and Bombcast but since Drew left especially - it is not nearly as good.

Loserwhosbetteroffdead

Formerly 'Sleepy Nocchi'
Jul 7, 2019
I remember there was an episode when the team were asked if they enjoyed gaming and the majority of them actually said they didn't. Dan was the only one that actually said he still loved playing video games. Unfortunately the rest of the crew have been doing this for so long, having to keep up with the latest games, continually playing things they don't want too which had led to a stale website. I still listen to the Beastcast and Bombcast but since Drew left especially - it is not nearly as good.
Which is such nonsense on their part, because clearly they aren't forced to play every game. They sure as hell pick and choose what they want to play and feature, and let sometimes great games go under the radar.

It's a sad state of affairs, because I'm about the same age or close to it, to multiple staff on GB, I play games just as much, if not more so then they do, and I still enjoy them. What the hell is wrong with the industry if these are the kind of people who get paid to do this shit?

Change of subject, but even though I'm not someone who really watches many youtubers, or twitch streamers, it really kinda annoys me how they always seem to talk down, or belittle people who do that stuff for a living. Frankly, some of those people seem like they work harder then any of the people on GB, and in some cases, reach a bigger audience. Yet the industry treats "journalist" sites, like GB and others, like they are the important people to make sure get access for their exposure.

Reactions: BibleBLACKED

Point'N'Click

Banned
Sep 12, 2019
Yeah when do they ever get forced to play something they don't want to?

Years ago we had QLs of every game nearly as they were driven to still cover mostly everything but now that's not the case.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Dec 27, 2009
Could you elaborate? Why do you think that?
Ah, well it's hard to link to something in particular. But I've followed her on Instagram for a while and all of her pictures seem lonely and she looks just... sad. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it.

Reactions: Hudo

Guynamedbilly

Feb 28, 2018
Ah, well it's hard to link to something in particular. But I've followed her on Instagram for a while and all of her pictures seem lonely and she looks just... sad. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it.
I don't think you are. I think you are seeing it exactly as she likes you to. She knows she's lusted after and that some guys will want to come save her from a life surrounded by danger hairs and eggshells where she doesn't fit in. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it though.

She seems pretty cool.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Hudo

bishopcruz

Dec 6, 2006
Miami, FL
I stopped after they decided that Beast in the East was just not good enough for them to do anymore. It was the last thing I enjoyed from them, and it even made Alex less insufferable. Well I say got out, I think I had an auto renew for another year or so. On the bright side I stopped listening to the podcast long before that, so I missed out on the worst of Abby it seems, though what I have seen I lucked out.

O-N-E

Jul 11, 2018
Some nightmare fuel popped up in my youtube recommendations today...I don't dare click, but maybe I"ll just go ahead and share here to give you all nightmares lol

So I actually watched this just now and while most of the comedy is awkward, some of it worked and I appreciate the surrealist aspect of the editing. Like a mix of magical realism and anime. I also liked that she poked fun at mansplaining, but that makes it more confusing as to why she's so sensitive on twitter.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
So I actually watched this just now and while most of the comedy is awkward, some of it worked and I appreciate the surrealist aspect of the editing. Like a mix of magical realism and anime. I also liked that she poked fun at mansplaining, but that makes it more confusing as to why she's so sensitive on twitter.
What possessed you to watch this? Morbid curiosity?

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Man, that MS charity stream with Vinny and Drew was nostalgic. I missed most of the beginning but I saw most of their Man of Medan play through and got sad that Drew isn't on the site anymore.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Best move Drew ever made. People are paying him to travel the world and not actually release any films?

Perfect con.
Remember "The Raid", where they were going to go to Japan and load up on old video games? Maybe they can get some of that Drew Scanlon money and go with him to Japan.

Last edited:

Point'N'Click

Banned
Sep 12, 2019
Then what’s he talking about “not actually release any films”?
If you had followed Clothmap you'd know there's been months of no content sometimes and the vast majority of his videos have been short and rather dull.

He has done some good ones but they are few and far between.

If you admit you have no idea about the project it's amusing to then see you question my statement after one random number has been thrown at you.

Point'N'Click

Banned
Sep 12, 2019
He has 40 vids total on his channel. A load aren't actual travel vlogs.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
If you had followed Clothmap you'd know there's been months of no content sometimes and the vast majority of his videos have been short and rather dull.

He has done some good ones but they are few and far between.

If you admit you have no idea about the project it's amusing to then see you question my statement after one random number has been thrown at you.
I was just curious. Relax Abby lover.

Reactions: KingMoron

Loserwhosbetteroffdead

Formerly 'Sleepy Nocchi'
Jul 7, 2019
Cloth Map always did sound like a con to me. Sounded like a way for people to just pay him to get free vacations from the word go. Kinda disgusting honestly, which is why I've never bothered looking at anything he makes.

Reactions: BibleBLACKED

brap

Jan 9, 2018
Jesus christ are they gonna start putting reaction faces in the thumbnails now? At least you can easily avoid the Ben vids I guess.

CurryPanda

Will restrain his sexual perversions
Mar 4, 2019
Would you guys make out with Abby? After she's had a bagel with garlic hummus!

brap

Jan 9, 2018
Would you stop fucking posting about abby? You don't even watch gb you just come in here to whine about her and make us all look bad.

• Triggered
Reactions: ArchaeEnkidu

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Jesus christ are they gonna start putting reaction faces in the thumbnails now? At least you can easily avoid the Ben vids I guess.
I Didn't think I'd ever see Giant Bomb do this. Haven't they made fun of reaction videos on Youtube in the past?

Status
Not open for further replies.