Giant Bomb |OT1| The real Bomb shelter

Oct 24, 2017
I am not going for this

but man Abby is done for me she really layed the Nier objetctive card just to put her game over while meanwhle she goes for some hunks in a dating simgame that is also full of fanservice.

Worst member EVER...

Oct 24, 2017
Abby was fine during GOTY except maybe going too hard for Dream Daddy.

I like that she had the fire to fight for her views, even against Jeff and co.
The problem was that she had no arguments. I agree with her Dream daddy even it is ridiculous to say that it did something new for the genre which it totlly did not but otherwsie she was invested in this game so its fine such a game as number 10 Spot. We have every year something like this.

However the way she went against Nier in every discussion was not only uninformed but vile. She was totally on a mission to get this game as low as possible and you clearly saw this, Without Abby Alex would actually had a chance to get this to number one. Also her loud Cuphead should be higher all the time made her look like a child. honestly she was pretty annoying and disrupted the flow of conversations and discussions. Ben was also new but he brought many well reasoned arguments into the mix. He could articulate his opinion wile Abby could not for everything not dream daddy related besides its vey very good

Sep 13, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, Abby made this year's deliberations difficult to listen to because of her sheer inability to formulate an argument in favor of her games outside of "I think it's really good", etc. Like, I don't play Visual Novels and even I know that DD wasn't the best VN to be released this year (the writing is poor, to say the least). She even nominated it for the soundtrack lol

The above can somewhat be excused with "she's young" or "she's green", but then, in the final two hours of the GOTY podcast she finally admits that the reason she's biased against Nier was because of the "objectification", while spitting out blatantly false statements in regards to it ("you're forced to look up her skirt"), to the bewilderment of the rest of the crew.

Never had a problem with her prior to this week but man, it's going to be impossible to take her seriously from now on.

Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, Abby made this year's deliberations difficult to listen to because of her sheer inability to formulate an argument in favor of her games outside of "I think it's really good", etc. Like, I don't play Visual Novels and even I know that DD wasn't the best VN to be released this year (the writing is poor, to say the least). She even nominated it for the soundtrack lol

The above can somewhat be excused with "she's young" or "she's green", but then, in the final two hours of the GOTY podcast she finally admits that the reason she's biased against Nier was because of the "objectification", while spitting out blatantly false statements in regards to it ("you're forced to look up her skirt"), to the bewilderment of the rest of the crew.

Never had a problem with her prior to this week but man, it's going to be impossible to take her seriously from now on.
Yeah I feel the same. I wonder how it will be from now listening to the beast cast. I really liked the beast cast before but boy Abby sure put a huge wall before it now....

May 28, 2014
I've just finished listening to the GOTY podcast. Alex saying "we know you do" to Abby repeatedly mentioning she wants Cuphead higher made me laugh

I feel for her a bit. She made a comment that she played Zelda in the period between finishing Uni and starting at Giant Bomb, that really reiterated how young she is. Not even just age as such, just the growth you have once you've been in the "real world" for a while. Fuck knows had my 22 year old self been in that room I'd have been acting the same way trying to get Nier on and Destiny off

Not that I think the criticisms of her invalid, she really needs to learn to take a back seat every now and then, but I wouldn't hold this against her, I suspect in 12 months she'll be a different person (or at Waypoint)

Sep 13, 2013
www.game-boat.com
Yeah, Abby made this year's deliberations difficult to listen to because of her sheer inability to formulate an argument in favor of her games outside of "I think it's really good", etc.
I agree, and I'm only up to Best Music in listening through the podcasts. It seems every category she's doing a poor job of reading the room and consistently has a hill to die on without a great argument as to why the other people in the room should switch to her side. "I think it's really good" and "I had a lot of fun" are not great arguments as to why one game should be in the top 3 on a list of many options and I keep hearing her say that over and over again. I'm tired of this same cycle every category.

More than anyone else it seems like she's slowing down the entire process, and not in a good way. I hope with experience and working with the other Giant Bomb guys over time she'll become sharper and more concise in her arguments and criticisms and next year's GOTY deliberations can have a better pace.

Jan 7, 2018
Lancaster (United Kingdom)
I've been catching up on their older stuff, everything with Vinny and Sierra point-and-click adventure games is absolute gold. I didn't really jump into Giant Bomb until the last year or so, starting with their earlier content and gradually working my way up. Heard excellent things about the Persona 4 Endurance Run (I'm not a super-huge fan of the game but I enjoyed my time with Golden).

Feb 6, 2012
Child wanted attention. We'll leave this here as a reminder about how to embarass yourself. User was banned for conduct in another thread that was deleted due to its nature.
Wow! I’m happy to see the rumors about NeoGaf are completrly untrue. What a relief. It was disappointing that the first thread I looked at was an apologist thread arguing for a more “fair and balanced” approach to gaming. But at least the Giant Bomb thread hasn’t devolved into complaining about the one woman on staff!

*touches finger to earpiece*

What’s that Jim? It’s full of a bunch of idiots who oscillate between complaining about Abby and talking about how awesome Giant Bomb USED to be?

Oh, okay.

B A N. M E.

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Anyone else here dreading the 2018 GOTY talks after the shitshow that last years turned out to be?

Haven’t listemed to new GB much at all this year. Beastcast is embarrassingly safe and too try hard-y with their humor and “bits” while the normal bcast has simply become fucking boring. I miss those hour plus discussions of one specific title. I think the last episode of theirs that was truly great was when they all busted their nut over MGSV.

Jan 9, 2018
Anyone else here dreading the 2018 GOTY talks after the shitshow that last years turned out to be?

Haven’t listemed to new GB much at all this year. Beastcast is embarrassingly safe and too try hard-y with their humor and “bits” while the normal bcast has simply become fucking boring. I miss those hour plus discussions of one specific title. I think the last episode of theirs that was truly great was when they all busted their nut over MGSV.
I'm looking forward to it. I know it will be very good and cohesive like last year!
I seriously can't wait until abby leaves.

Jul 19, 2007
So I haven't much time this year to watch GB content, coming up to their GOTY what games should I play to make sure I'm up to date? I've played the big stuff (God of War/Red Dead/Spider-Man etc) but what kind of stuff like Yakuza/Nier/DD/Night in the woods will pop up in a few of their top 10 lists?

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
So I haven't much time this year to watch GB content, coming up to their GOTY what games should I play to make sure I'm up to date? I've played the big stuff (God of War/Red Dead/Spider-Man etc) but what kind of stuff like Yakuza/Nier/DD/Night in the woods will pop up in a few of their top 10 lists?
You'll prob want to check out Dead Cells

Jun 10, 2018
Is anyone else starting to get tired of the West coast team? It seems like Jan and Jason are the only ones that are having fun still. Jeff kinda seems over it all, Brad just follows, and Ben is annoying(and starting to actively drive me away from content).

Jan 9, 2018
Is anyone else starting to get tired of the West coast team? It seems like Jan and Jason are the only ones that are having fun still. Jeff kinda seems over it all, Brad just follows, and Ben is annoying(and starting to actively drive me away from content).
I stopped watching west coast months ago because it felt so lethargic. Everybody for the most part seems like they want to be anywhere but there.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018
Fl
I still don’t get why Ben was hired aside from the fact he was an intern years ago. He doesn’t explain things well, he tries way way too hard with jokes and his voice just straight up isn’t podcast friendly. He seems like a cool guy no doubt and he has alright taste in the medium but he is NOT someone I’d have as a face for the company.

Abby is just an overall clusterfuck and the sooner she leaves, the better. Clearly she was hired simply to avoid any sort of reeeee internet backlash regarding “y no womynz?!”. They put that company through the ringer when they hired Jason and Dan. I can see why he’d want to avoid that, but to half assedly hire some ignorant non game playing feminist PC millennial was probably the worst decision he could’ve made. And her sense of humor sucks too (love how she loves tooting her dumb horn about her improv lessons).

They should’ve hired someone like Mary Kush or that UK chick from Gamespot. You know, someone that at least knows their shit.

Jan’s cool but he doesn’t belong there.

West coast ain’t as cringey as the east though with Softie Safe Vinny and the Barney and Friends Beastcast. Christ

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018
I still don’t get why Ben was hired aside from the fact he was an intern years ago. He doesn’t explain things well, he tries way way too hard with jokes and his voice just straight up isn’t podcast friendly. He seems like a cool guy no doubt and he has alright taste in the medium but he is NOT someone I’d have as a face for the company.

Abby is just an overall clusterfuck and the sooner she leaves, the better. Clearly she was hired simply to avoid any sort of reeeee internet backlash regarding “y no womynz?!”. They put that company through the ringer when they hired Jason and Dan. I can see why he’d want to avoid that, but to half assedly hire some ignorant non game playing feminist PC millennial was probably the worst decision he could’ve made. And her sense of humor sucks too (love how she loves tooting her dumb horn about her improv lessons).

They should’ve hired someone like Mary Kush or that UK chick from Gamespot. You know, someone that at least knows their shit.

Jan’s cool but he doesn’t belong there.

West coast ain’t as cringey as the east though with Softie Safe Vinny and the Barney and Friends Beastcast. Christ
I get were you are coming from.

Abbey doesn’t actually bother me when the full crew is present. She is fine when peppered in.

The west coast seems so disconnected from the rest of the world, but I feel that way about everything based out of San Francisco.

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Their game discussion has really fallen too, and only over the past couple years. They really lopped off their nuts in favor of appeasing every inch of spoiler culture so now their talks seem minimum at best since they don’t want to upset anyone. It’s absolutely fucking ridiculous. Basically you need to wait until the end of the year to really hear anything talked about at length and even then it’s butchered since everyone talks over everyone.

Jun 3, 2013
Canada
The company is basically just selected friends of Jeff Gerstman's, it's not like they've ever really tried to rope in the best talent they could find, it's always been a matter of nepotism.

Jun 3, 2013
Canada
The last content I truly enjoyed from Giant Bomb was Jeff "enjoying" the Garfield games.
I mildly enjoyed the King of Fighters series they were doing, until I realized these guys have almost nothing interesting to say about fighting games/ the FGC, and they aren't good enough at them for me to enjoy watching them play.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018
I mildly enjoyed the King of Fighters series they were doing, until I realized these guys have almost nothing interesting to say about fighting games/ the FGC, and aren't good enough at them to enjoy watching them play.
I was somewhat enjoying it until they had to shove Ben in it. It's like it's mandatory for him to be in every video now. I also love how Jason acts like he's a fighting game expert yet is completely terrible at every single one.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018
The company is basically just selected friends of Jeff Gerstman's, it's not like they've ever really tried to rope in the best talent they could find, it's always been a matter of nepotism.
The 10 year anniversary podcast Jeff said as much. But that is fine, because that’s what made GB great to begin. They all just seem tired of it all now.

Jul 12, 2018
I stopped watching for ~10 months because I was tired of their shit. I cherry-pick video content now and don't listen to the podcasts, and I'm actually feeling pretty good about them.

I really enjoy west coast when they're doing something they care about. The tony hawk series, for example. I also really liked the extra life stuff, Rorie's late night drunken antics are some of my best recent GB memories. I like Ben, except when he goes full millennial (like whenever he's with Abby). Ben + Rorie is a great combo.

I like east coast when they're doing weird old games--I loved total distortion and the recent FMV stuff. I've never been an Abby fan, but she's starting to settle in. The Nancy Drew video was pretty good, and her sims series was great.

I do wish they would all get out of the "everything is problematic" mindset. They're surrounded by those kind of people so I get why they picked it up, but it's really obnoxious as a viewer that isn't in that bubble.

Apr 7, 2018
I stopped watching for ~10 months because I was tired of their shit. I cherry-pick video content now and don't listen to the podcasts, and I'm actually feeling pretty good about them.

I really enjoy west coast when they're doing something they care about. The tony hawk series, for example. I also really liked the extra life stuff, Rorie's late night drunken antics are some of my best recent GB memories. I like Ben, except when he goes full millennial (like whenever he's with Abby). Ben + Rorie is a great combo.

I like east coast when they're doing weird old games--I loved total distortion and the recent FMV stuff. I've never been an Abby fan, but she's starting to settle in. The Nancy Drew video was pretty good, and her sims series was great.

I do wish they would all get out of the "everything is problematic" mindset. They're surrounded by those kind of people so I get why they picked it up, but it's really obnoxious as a viewer that isn't in that bubble.
Hopping on that train must be doing somewhat well for them, right? I jumped ship a couple years ago, but still listen to the GOTY podcasts...and holy shit. How is it that everything is so problematic? Yet when it comes to indie dating adventures, Abby and Ben are two of the horniest people on the planet. Dan seems to be the only normal person left, but he's a coward and just keeps his head down and mouth shut most of the time. I can't really blame him though.

It's really strange watching old GB content before 2011-2012.

Jul 12, 2018
Hopping on that train must be doing somewhat well for them, right? I jumped ship a couple years ago, but still listen to the GOTY podcasts...and holy shit. How is it that everything is so problematic? Yet when it comes to indie dating adventures, Abby and Ben are two of the horniest people on the planet. Dan seems to be the only normal person left, but he's a coward and just keeps his head down and mouth shut most of the time. I can't really blame him though.

It's really strange watching old GB content before 2011-2012.
Watching old Vinny videos is where the change is most obvious to me. I get that he's a dad now, but he's never not walking on eggshells.

That's why drunk Rorie on the extra life stream was so refreshing to me. He told Ben to suck his dick and they all had a good laugh about it. They shouldn't be afraid to make jokes like that just because the REE's of the world will try to call it toxic masculinity or something.

I wonder how well it is doing for them. From reading their forums, a lot of people apparently like Danika content, who I completely avoid after her twitter comment about how men in the industry should give their jobs and money to women. I tried watching a PubG video that she was in, and she was worse than Abby about trying to get attention. If that's who their fans like, then they certainly are on board for the rest of modern GB.

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Took a chance with today's episode cause I wanted to hear Jeff rip into the PS Classic and I see it's a full fuckin East/West show. With the full lineup I couldn't even get through the first few minutes. Everyone talks over each other, no one can crack a good joke and some are just way too fucking loud. It's a complete clusterfuck shitshow.

GOTY discussions are going to be wrist slit worthy.

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
I don't think Abby Russell was a friend or knew a Jeff Gerstmann before she was hired. She barely even knows fucking videogames. Correct me if Im wrong though.

Jun 3, 2013
Canada
I don't think Abby Russell was a friend or knew a Jeff Gerstmann before she was hired. She barely even knows fucking videogames. Correct me if Im wrong though.
Yeah I'm not sure of the circumstances of her hiring exactly, but my surface level take is that it's a diversity hire, because as you said, she barely knows games and does not gel with the crew in my opinion. I just figured they wanted a woman on staff because it's current year and they lean SJW.

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Yeah I'm not sure of the circumstances of her hiring exactly, but my surface level take is that it's a diversity hire, because as you said, she barely knows games and does not gel with the crew in my opinion. I just figured they wanted a woman on staff because it's current year and they lean SJW.
Agree 100%

Though since she's East, maybe Vinny hired her? And I can totally understand that move on his part too.

Aug 9, 2015
If that’s what she was brought on for then that’s what she should be doing. Keep her in the background off camera and off the mic.
HEY I'M ABBYYYYYYY, NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO SPEAK BUT MEEEEEEEE!

Vinny did hire her, and If you pay attention to the way he swoons over her horrendous improv, I'm pretty sure he's fucking her....or at least trying to.

Jan 9, 2018
I heard she was friends with somebody named Casey Malone and that's how she got hired. I have a really fucking hard time believing that in New York of all places they couldn't find a woman who could do video stuff and liked video games. Very hard to believe.

HEY I'M ABBYYYYYYY, NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO SPEAK BUT MEEEEEEEE!

Vinny did hire her, and If you pay attention to the way he swoons over her horrendous improv, I'm pretty sure he's fucking her....or at least trying to.
Abby looks like his wife.

Jul 8, 2016
I still watch most of their videos and listen to the podcast regularly but I’m not gonna deny that Jeffs spirit died along with Ryan Davis. It’s sad, but the website is a husk of what it was. I still hold on as there isn’t much outside of YouTube that is worth following.

Last edited:

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
Jan 30, 2018
I heard she was friends with somebody named Casey Malone and that's how she got hired. I have a really fucking hard time believing that in New York of all places they couldn't find a woman who could do video stuff and liked video games. Very hard to believe.

Given their previous hires, it is clear they had a *very specific* idea of who they wanted to hire and Abby fit that bill. I bet there were many others who were objectively better candidates, but didn't push for the far-left idiocy as much as she did.

Jul 12, 2018
Get out of here with that shit. This is why people hate us.

Given their previous hires, it is clear they had a *very specific* idea of who they wanted to hire and Abby fit that bill. I bet there were many others who were objectively better candidates, but didn't push for the far-left idiocy as much as she did.
I doubt it was that calculated. They had an open position and were introduced to a qualified person through a friend. The things that we dislike about Abby speak more towards the friend groups that the crew are involved in than to any conscious plan.

They never hid their leaning though, we just didn't have cause to notice it back in the basement. One of the first non-original hires was Klepek, for god's sake. The industry is filled with those sorts of people, so it will continue to hire those sorts of people.

Ultimately, they're the types of people that move with the times. They were "radical and edgy" back in the 90s/2000s (look at Klepek's past, lol) and now they're fully sjw. Whenever society re-adjusts, they'll move back with it.