• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Giant Bomb |OT1| The real Bomb shelter

Status
Not open for further replies.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
May 31, 2018
Leeds, UK
With all the discussion going on here, I'd like to ask everybody's opinion on where they think Giant Bomb is headed?

I personally think they are on the get woke go broke path. As many people here have said, I think they will merge with Gamespot or be dissolved eventually. Jeff and Vinny just don't have the balls to right the ship.

I think too that Jeff is now going to be busy with his baby and Brad is headed for a coma he's so lethargic. Jason looks likes he's half dead now for some reason. Alex is always cynical and depressed. Abby doesn't seem to want to be there most of the time. If Giant Bomb is indeed going south, I don't think most of them would really fight it.

I think Jeff will honestly just do his own thing eventually. He's made it abundantly clear several times that he's quite happy leaving his house as little as possible, not to mention he now has the baby. I can see him setting up his own site, a Patreon or whatever, and just doing his own thing. The internet is a thing, there's little reason for these people to be in the same room any more.

The day can't come soon enough.

Reactions: zeroFiveNine

Point'N'Click

Banned
Sep 12, 2019
I think Jeff will honestly just do his own thing eventually. He's made it abundantly clear several times that he's quite happy leaving his house as little as possible, not to mention he now has the baby. I can see him setting up his own site, a Patreon or whatever, and just doing his own thing. The internet is a thing, there's little reason for these people to be in the same room any more.

The day can't come soon enough.
To be honest, Jeff is near the bottom of the entertainment list these days.

Most of what he does is play old ass games which are shit but he has nostalgia for, or goes back to the COD/Trackmania well.

He's too old.

O-N-E

Jul 11, 2018
I'm not saying he is.

But if you
  • Like anime
  • Watch kids shows by yourself
  • Preach SJW values as a single man
You probably fuck or want to fuck kids.

I wouldn't trust anyone with those traits with my kid.

Every degenerate pervert you see online has an anime avatar.

Ok, now I'm triggered.

Touching my animes is a step too far.

• LOL
Reactions: SLoWMoTIoN

Ghetto_Capitalist

Neo Member
Sep 18, 2019
Upstate NY
With all the discussion going on here, I'd like to ask everybody's opinion on where they think Giant Bomb is headed?

I personally think they are on the get woke go broke path. As many people here have said, I think they will merge with Gamespot or be dissolved eventually. Jeff and Vinny just don't have the balls to right the ship.

I think too that Jeff is now going to be busy with his baby and Brad is headed for a coma he's so lethargic. Jason looks likes he's half dead now for some reason. Alex is always cynical and depressed. Abby doesn't seem to want to be there most of the time. If Giant Bomb is indeed going south, I don't think most of them would really fight it.
This last year and a half they have crossed over into mainstream news like with Dan’s wedding and Drew being the face of one of the years most popular memes. I think those were promising signs of them being relevant still.
The woke stuff I can ignore to an extent. That’s why I always feel like Business Dave is a breath of fresh testosterone in their cucked field. I’d like them to strap down and keep consistent shows going or more streams like the recent GBA one. But I think they’re probably just fine. Fans like us will continue to pick them apart but I don’t know about the casual audience. I started watching right when Dan was hired and they moved offices, so I learned to have patience for their transitions and such from my start as a hardcore fan.

TexMex

Aug 30, 2019
Alex is a dope (what do you expect from a high school drop out) but I actually took that comment to be a little in jest, directly in response to them about to play a Rage Against the Machine song on the game. Could be wrong though, I know the stuff with him around the edges is suspect.

brap

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I'm not saying he is.

But if you
  • Like anime

What a retard. Why does anime make you so insecure little boy?

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
This last year and a half they have crossed over into mainstream news like with Dan’s wedding and Drew being the face of one of the years most popular memes. I think those were promising signs of them being relevant still.
The woke stuff I can ignore to an extent. That’s why I always feel like Business Dave is a breath of fresh testosterone in their cucked field. I’d like them to strap down and keep consistent shows going or more streams like the recent GBA one. But I think they’re probably just fine. Fans like us will continue to pick them apart but I don’t know about the casual audience. I started watching right when Dan was hired and they moved offices, so I learned to have patience for their transitions and such from my start as a hardcore fan.
If they fired Ben and replaced him with Business Dave I would be sooo happy.

Reactions: Ghetto_Capitalist

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind

I agree with that totally, pretty much. Although, it is hard to tell. Society is pretty dumb in general right now, so I’m sure they have a dedicated audience.

Edit: I suggest giving him an "Anime Fanboy" tag to help him stop saying stupid shit in the future.
I suggest: “I think Abby is hot, so you can ignore my opinions.”

brap

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Anybody listen to Dan and his wife's podcast? Thinking about watching some movies they talk about just so I can listen to an episode.

Ok this Degrassi episode is kino. I love how Dan gets triggered by Joey. No retarded politics or anything like if Vinny, Alex or Abby were on.

Last edited:

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
Jan 30, 2018
I'll stop touching anime if you stop touching kids, you fucking nonce.

And the nonce is banned and the forum is better for it.

I would say it is going to the shitter, but it has resided there firmly for many years now. Giant Bomb has gone south for so long it has made it around the globe four times over.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: JovianLizards
Nov 13, 2016
I watched the Deadly Premonition ER again recently, and at some point they were peeking on Thomas dancing in his appartment. Jeff made a joke about Thomas tucking in his dick, pretending he was a pretty girl. That would never happen today. One might say they've matured since then. I disagree, I think they were plenty mature at that time.

I remember when Dan and Jeff rode a rollercoaster while playing Mario on their 3DS, and at the time I actually thought the site would be revitalized with more fun content again, after Ryan's passing had put a serious damper on things. Now it's just endless trash.

I don't see a future for the site. I expect it to crumble eventually, and the crew will go their own separate ways. Most will probably just fade into obscurity. The appeal of GB really was how they played off each other, and that's been gone for a good long while now.

Shantae

Banned
Jul 7, 2019
I watched the Deadly Premonition ER again recently, and at some point they were peeking on Thomas dancing in his appartment. Jeff made a joke about Thomas tucking in his dick, pretending he was a pretty girl. That would never happen today. One might say they've matured since then. I disagree, I think they were plenty mature at that time.

I remember when Dan and Jeff rode a rollercoaster while playing Mario on their 3DS, and at the time I actually thought the site would be revitalized with more fun content again, after Ryan's passing had put a serious damper on things. Now it's just endless trash.

I don't see a future for the site. I expect it to crumble eventually, and the crew will go their own separate ways. Most will probably just fade into obscurity. The appeal of GB really was how they played off each other, and that's been gone for a good long while now.
Yeah, the rollercoaster thing made me think Dan was just what was needed for the site. Now I feel like Dan probably comes with ideas, only to be shot down because it's "too much work" or some bull shit. No one else has any energy to do shit, they just want to do the bare minimum.

Also, someone else commented earlier about hating the desk in the West studio...I do too. It made things seem like some Gamespot set, which is such bull shit. People went to sites like Giant Bomb, because they didn't want the Gamespot type bull shit.

UPF has become such a fucking waste of time, but they keep on doing it out of some sense of like "hey, if we keep doing this weekly show, we can sorta make it seem like we're not lazy". The format has gotten so stale for years though, that I am so confused WHY they haven't taken it out back and shot it already. It always starts with...5-10 minutes of banter, which isn't funny anymore because it's mostly Ben sounding like the idiot he is, or Jason being boring...then they maybe start playing some video games, and you end up scrolling through the video seeing if they're playing anything even mildly entertaining, but nope, it usually is just garbage.

All of their content, west and east, has gotten to the point where I am so tired of them talking anything and everything besides the fucking game they're playing also. I tried watching some of the last UPF, because I wanted to at least see some of the Genesis mini stuff, but Rorie would not shut the fuck up about any random shit that pops in his head.

Reactions: rofif

brap

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Dan's wife seems really fucking cool too. They're both a breath of fresh air compared to how stifling and uptight GB is.
Yeah, she's cool. Listened to a few of their podcast eps earlier. Unironically more entertained by them than I have been in like the past few years by GB.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not saying he is.

But if you
  • Like anime

Tell me where the anime touched you.

• LOL
Reactions: JovianLizards

Shantae

Banned
Jul 7, 2019
From the sound of it, I just wish Dan and his wife would be a couple internet celebrities. Just do twitch and Patreon, would probably make loads of money. He’s probably just too comfortable with the job security that something like giant bomb offers.

Drew is younger, so he knows how the internet works. He knew he could scam people, I mean produce content and make more money outside of working for a dying website, which is why he left.

Aug 24, 2012
Watching GB talk over Death Stranding and Ben and Jeff are acting like they're just too cool for this shit. The pair of them act like 13 year olds.

At least Brad and Jason seem like they actually care about what they're watching.

Last edited:

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
I started watching the P4 Endurance Run again and it's amazing how much Jeff and Vinny have changed.
The episode where Ryan sits in with them is amazing. That was when I would watch everything they put out. It's crazy to think about how different it is now. Vinny used to be hilarious.

Pobb

Neo Member
Jan 25, 2019
New Forest, England
The episode where Ryan sits in with them is amazing. That was when I would watch everything they put out. It's crazy to think about how different it is now. Vinny used to be hilarious.
Do you know what episode number that is?
I used to love Giant Bomb, the P4 Endurance Run was what got really got me hooked on the site. So sad to see what it is now.
At least I have found this thread and some people who seem to think the same.

rofif

Sep 13, 2019
I am listening to some 2008 bombcast for gears of war 2 release day... I've heard all of those before 11 years ago but re listening to it now is eye/ear opening.
Just fantastic banter jokes, energy, Very positive, enthusiastic gears 2 coverage, Brad is a LIVING human who plays video games and likes them, Ryan is amazing... WOW. It really puts things in perspective. They talk about ants, reviews, writing reviews and so on. And te amount f video games coming out and being talked about in that single bombcast is staggering. We ger so many good releases in few months nowayads. Gaming and giantbomb was much better back then.
In 2008 they were mostly around 30. I am 30 now and seeing how much energy they had as 30yo guys is great. I do not have that much energy now :p

Last edited:

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Do you know what episode number that is?
I used to love Giant Bomb, the P4 Endurance Run was what got really got me hooked on the site. So sad to see what it is now.
At least I have found this thread and some people who seem to think the same.
It's Part 32. It has one of my favorite Vinny, Ryan and Jeff moments. Vinny says "boxed lunch" about Chie and Charlie having lunch on the rooftop and Ryan takes it to mean something entirely different. Also, the beginning is great, Ryan makes a bean bag chair explode.

• LOL
Reactions: Pobb and Shantae

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014
I personally think the real death of Giant Bomb happened when Dan left for New York and Drew left, that change was far too much

I still have no idea why they have 2 offices, they dont produce enough content for that, hell pre Dan GB produced more, that really was the peak, if Dan leaves the site will die imo

Ghetto_Capitalist

Neo Member
Sep 18, 2019
Upstate NY
I personally think the real death of Giant Bomb happened when Dan left for New York and Drew left, that change was far too much

I still have no idea why they have 2 offices, they dont produce enough content for that, hell pre Dan GB produced more, that really was the peak, if Dan leaves the site will die imo
They have mentioned that 2 offices allow for them to schedule recordings without having to fight for who gets to shoot what and when.
I was wearing my Ryckert “punch out” shirt yesterday!

Ghetto_Capitalist

Neo Member
Sep 18, 2019
Upstate NY
*Sigh* The Giant Bomb Reddit shows Abby tweeting she wants to block every Trump supporter that follows her. And Brad made his own political tweet. I’m still at negative karma from those autists so I’m not even gonna try. Of course they’re eating it all up and calling themselves the good guys. Giant Bomb, a website about politics, fuck you!

brap

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Anybody remember this? Good times...

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
*Sigh* The Giant Bomb Reddit shows Abby tweeting she wants to block every Trump supporter that follows her. And Brad made his own political tweet. I’m still at negative karma from those autists so I’m not even gonna try. Of course they’re eating it all up and calling themselves the good guys. Giant Bomb, a website about politics, fuck you!
God that Brad Tweet is so, so dumb.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind

At the time, it seemed to me that Vinny decided he wanted to move back to New York for family reasons and so, as they were still somewhat popular, they thought “why not open up an East coast branch rather than lose Vinny”. Then Alex agreed to go too and Dan thought “why the fuck not?” because he’s been moving around for his career for ever and seems to enjoy trying different things.

It may have worked out too if they didn’t make the next step after that be “diversifying” their workforce. I.E. hiring a non-gamer because vagina and hiring a hideous cuck because Trump.

Just dumb business decisions.

O-N-E

Jul 11, 2018
Wow at the cult-like atmosphere in the thread for Abby's tweet. If I replied with "you're so brave" I'm not convinced they could recognize it as sarcasm.

My favourite response so far...

• LOL
Reactions: Hudo
Status
Not open for further replies.