• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Giant Bomb |OT1| The real Bomb shelter

Status
Not open for further replies.

O-N-E

Jul 11, 2018
Jeff also referenced this video during the Bombcast. So I guess this is what he thinks of fans in general.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
You guys should check out the comment section on the latest Bombcast. The tide is turning.
Wow, you're right. The comments are pretty critical, I'm surprised they didn't delete them. Apparently people are perplexed at their dislike of "prestige" games, whatever that means. I'll have to listen to that part.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Yikes, at around 1:16:00 Ben says Sony should make more mediocre games to make their AAA games look better.
What?

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Oh my God, I just looked up that Medium article that they talk about on the Bombcast. The one titled "I don't think I like prestige games". It's insane. The dude doesn't like Bioshock or Crash Bandicoot because they're popular. Also, at the end of the article he asks for money for his doctor visit. What is wrong with these dorks?

Reactions: rofif

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Oh my God, I just looked up that Medium article that they talk about on the Bombcast. The one titled "I don't think I like prestige games". It's insane. The dude doesn't like Bioshock or Crash Bandicoot because they're popular. Also, at the end of the article he asks for money for his doctor visit. What is wrong with these dorks?
Makes sense because Jeff loves to play the “too cool for school” contrarian and shit on most popular games. Except for CoD and mobile clickers, of course.

brap

Jan 9, 2018
Makes sense because Jeff loves to play the “too cool for school” contrarian and shit on most popular games. Except for CoD and mobile clickers, of course.
Don't forget those shitty old broken C64 games he loves to stream so much.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Is there an actual way for paying members to voice honest and constructive criticisms? I'm not talking about unsubbing and just put in the reason box "abby" and thats it, but really writing a real and heartfelt reason why we as paying members don't like what is happening to the site?

I loved Giant Bomb but this last few months have been absolutely unbearable. And that Al Snow video hits it on the head. You have two members of Giant Bomb who don't have experience spouting off their complete lack of knowledge as fact. Literally every Beastcast has Abby going "what is that?" to something everyone else on the podcast is extremely familiar with, yet in the same podcast will completely dominate every single topic. I couldn't even get through the Sep 20th Beastcast because she literally cut people off at every possible moment. Even when other's "what are you playing>" segments, she took it over and started talking about her. It was really awful as I couldn't care less about Abby's opinion on anything as she doesn't have the experience to back up anything. I can't write in to the beastcast to ask any actual interesting questions, because she controls the emails.... I can't tell you how many emails I have sent into them, and never once have they read one of mine... but be sure that same week we get a couple asking Abby what her favorite bjork song is, or how what new way they can talk about human feces for 20+ mins. .... I don't know about you, but I don't know any children who bring up farts and toilet humor as much as she does... It's honestly embarrassing that we have to listen to this. I feel like the demographic for Giant Bomb is 12 year olds now.

To me Giant Bomb is Jeff at this point. I could honestly leave everyone else without a care. I'm not going to attack anyone because it makes this thread seem super petty and just as bad as other "toxic" communities. But there are legitimate issues with the newer cast, and also just Giant Bomb in general, and we all know we can't post in the officiall chat or forums or subreddit or over in reset because if you say anything even remotely like honest and thoughtful criticism you will be perma-banned.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Is there an actual way for paying members to voice honest and constructive criticisms? I'm not talking about unsubbing and just put in the reason box "abby" and thats it, but really writing a real and heartfelt reason why we as paying members don't like what is happening to the site?

I loved Giant Bomb but this last few months have been absolutely unbearable. And that Al Snow video hits it on the head. You have two members of Giant Bomb who don't have experience spouting off their complete lack of knowledge as fact. Literally every Beastcast has Abby going "what is that?" to something everyone else on the podcast is extremely familiar with, yet in the same podcast will completely dominate every single topic. I couldn't even get through the Sep 20th Beastcast because she literally cut people off at every possible moment. Even when other's "what are you playing>" segments, she took it over and started talking about her. It was really awful as I couldn't care less about Abby's opinion on anything as she doesn't have the experience to back up anything. I can't write in to the beastcast to ask any actual interesting questions, because she controls the emails.... I can't tell you how many emails I have sent into them, and never once have they read one of mine... but be sure that same week we get a couple asking Abby what her favorite bjork song is, or how what new way they can talk about human feces for 20+ mins. .... I don't know about you, but I don't know any children who bring up farts and toilet humor as much as she does... It's honestly embarrassing that we have to listen to this. I feel like the demographic for Giant Bomb is 12 year olds now.

To me Giant Bomb is Jeff at this point. I could honestly leave everyone else without a care. I'm not going to attack anyone because it makes this thread seem super petty and just as bad as other "toxic" communities. But there are legitimate issues with the newer cast, and also just Giant Bomb in general, and we all know we can't post in the officiall chat or forums or subreddit or over in reset because if you say anything even remotely like honest and thoughtful criticism you will be perma-banned.
If you think that a real and heartfelt plea is going to get them to do anything you've got another thing coming.

Also, Abby doesn't do well unless the focus is completely on her. Anything less and she kinda shuts down. You can tell she doesn't like to be left out of conversations, which is easy to do since she hasn't played much of what the other guys have.

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
I said it earlier, but for a guy with such knowledge of the industry and history, his taste in games is pretty terrible for the most part.

Reactions: Scopa

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
From my experience with similar situations, it’s impossible. The woke brigade don’t listen to constructive criticism.

At best you’ll get one of them posting your comments to Twitter, so their sycophants can all laugh at you and/or they’ll vaguely and passive-aggressively bring up your criticisms in a podcast so they can mock you.

I’ve seen it all before. These people are too far down the brainwashed rabbit hole. They don’t have the intelligence or maturity to accept criticism and take it on board.

Reactions: JovianLizards

brap

Jan 9, 2018
From my experience with similar situations, it’s impossible. The woke brigade don’t listen to constructive criticism.

At best you’ll get one of them posting your comments to Twitter, so their sycophants can all laugh at you and/or they’ll vaguely and passive-aggressively bring up your criticisms in a podcast so they can mock you.

I’ve seen it all before. These people are too far down the brainwashed rabbit hole. They don’t have the intelligence or maturity to accept criticism and take it on board.
And shit like this is why I can't wait until GB gets shut down. Fuck all of them besides Dan. They can get real jobs. Vinny, Jan and Jason have video skills. Abby is young and can do whatever. Jeff will survive somehow. Brad and Alex are retards that would've died of starvation if it wasn't for Jeff employing them all these years. Ben can set up a pateron and have people donate to him because he's ugly and has a terrible voice.

rofif

Sep 13, 2019
You guys should check out the comment section on the latest Bombcast. The tide is turning.
You are right. Seems like they are noticing... Seeing this thread would turn them around. I've not been listening to bombcasts for last few weeks because it's shit even for much longer and a waste of time.
I've not been reading comments too since the message "You are banned" is displayed there all the time and so it is in chat... Which makes me remember that they randimly permanently banned banned me for suggesting being objective on holovka quinn case.... And I've listened to every bombcast since 2008. In fact, the quality is down for a long time now. Brad don't play games, new hires are delusional sjw idiots without game history knowledge, old staff puts site in hands of new hires since they want to rest and don't care for the most part.

Relistening to bombcasts from the beginning is amazing though. Each episode is amazing and goty 2008 and 2009(relistening now) are like a time capsule of awesome people and awesome games!

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
You are right. Seems like they are noticing... Seeing this thread would turn them around. I've not been listening to bombcasts for last few weeks because it's shit even for much longer and a waste of time.
I've not been reading comments too since the message "You are banned" is displayed there all the time and so it is in chat... Which makes me remember that they randimly permanently banned banned me for suggesting being objective on holovka quinn case.... And I've listened to every bombcast since 2008. In fact, the quality is down for a long time now. Brad don't play games, new hires are delusional sjw idiots without game history knowledge, old staff puts site in hands of new hires since they want to rest and don't care for the most part.

Relistening to bombcasts from the beginning is amazing though. Each episode is amazing and goty 2008 and 2009(relistening now) are like a time capsule of awesome people and awesome games!
I've listened to some of the old Ryan hosted episodes as well. The difference between those episodes and the current stuff is night and day.

rofif

Sep 13, 2019

There is no way to say your opinion. I've said some remarks in chat(negative opinions are deleted on sight) and was banned permanently from chatting and comments there after 10 years of gold subbing. Support ticket explaining things did not helped, messaging mod team did not helped(made it worse lol), so I've unsubbed with a message in unsubbing window explaining everything. Thay I was randomly banned for expressing my opinion and how the site is worse now and I am stopping paying them money. Again - no answer whatsoever.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
There is no way to say your opinion. I've said some remarks in chat(negative opinions are deleted on sight) and was banned permanently from chatting and comments there after 10 years of gold subbing. Support ticket explaining things did not helped, messaging mod team did not helped(made it worse lol), so I've unsubbed with a message in unsubbing window explaining everything. Thay I was randomly banned for expressing my opinion and how the site is worse now and I am stopping paying them money. Again - no answer whatsoever.
It’s enlightening to see how these arrogant dimwits treat a very long-term, paying customer.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: JovianLizards

Zaffo

Feb 11, 2018
The Goose game bit was kinda garbage, my girlfriend managed to finish it and she doesn't really play complex or puzzle games.
It's a fiddly phisicsy game, but come on, every scenario is just plain videogame logic.

Zaffo

Feb 11, 2018
Anyhow Giant Bomb has never been the most informed place for your daily dose of actual game critic, before the new bad hiring there was a good knowledge base of old games and general videogame thinking over there, but that was it.

It was just a bunch of guys shooting the shit, occasionally being wrong while teasing each other, keeping the energy and the comedy up, it was fine.
Nowadays there is no energy nor comedy for fear of saying something problematic, half of the time is just old white dudes being offended at something unimportant, and when they say something wrong it just hangs in the air, since you are neither having a good time right now nor waiting for the next crazy tangent.

Last edited:
Reactions: drganon and Hudo

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
It’s enlightening to see how these arrogant dimwits treat a very long-term, paying customer.
Well every old subscriber that bails just makes room for more young wokes and useful idiots who love things like Rick & Morty and Ben’s jokes.

• Thoughtful

BibleBLACKED

Mar 20, 2017
Haven't listened to the podcast myself, but this comment on their site made me lol.

Ben's idea that Sony should make some mediocre Playstation games so that we'll appreciate the good ones "even more" made my head hurt.

If you really are tired of whatever "prestige games" are, you can play literally everything else on the console.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
I used to play the shit out of Minority Report on N64! It had an awesome shotgun!” - Ben Pack

Ok, Ben Pack. Let’s unpack this.

Firstly, there was no Minority Report game on the Nintendo 64.

Ok. Now, even though I think you are retarded, I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. I’ll assume you meant Mission Impossible, which was a Nintendo 64 game. They’re both Tom Cruise movies, so it’s a dumb, yet relatively easy mistake to make. I’ll allow it.

Oh, but wait...Mission Impossible on the Nintendo 64 doesn’t have a shotgun.

Hmm. Maybe you meant one of the two Minority Report games in existence? Was it the PS2/GCB/Xbox one or the GBA one? Do you often get those system’s mixed up with the Nintendo 64? Maybe you made the anecdote up entirely? Like when Abby says “I played the shit out of that back in the day”, but then deflects and changes the subject when asked a question about said game?

Do you know anything about games, Ben? What do you know about, Ben? Why are you here, Ben?

No. DotA is not an answer.

Ghetto_Capitalist

Neo Member
Sep 18, 2019
Upstate NY
[/
We’re maintaining some rationale here, right? To say a person has no redeeming qualities is just hate. It’s entertainment, turn it off and go outside, maybe examine your anger at women or whatever makes you feel so strong. I appreciate being able to speak freely here and go in with jokes. But there’s a point where you should just walk away from it, cause it’s just as much about you and your issues.

Last edited:

Hudo

Jul 26, 2018
I used to play the shit out of Minority Report on N64! It had an awesome shotgun!” - Ben Pack

Ok, Ben Pack. Let’s unpack this.

Firstly, there was no Minority Report game on the Nintendo 64.

Ok. Now, even though I think you are retarded, I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. I’ll assume you meant Mission Impossible, which was a Nintendo 64 game. They’re both Tom Cruise movies, so it’s a dumb, yet relatively easy mistake to make. I’ll allow it.

Oh, but wait...Mission Impossible on the Nintendo 64 doesn’t have a shotgun.

Hmm. Maybe you meant one of the two Minority Report games in existence? Was it the PS2/GCB/Xbox one or the GBA one? Do you often get those system’s mixed up with the Nintendo 64? Maybe you made the anecdote up entirely? Like when Abby says “I played the shit out of that back in the day”, but then deflects and changes the subject when asked a question about said game?

Do you know anything about games, Ben? What do you know about, Ben? Why are you here, Ben?

No. DotA is not an answer.
Man... I don't understand how he's OK with getting paid when he doesn't seem to know the basics, even. Maybe that says more about me than him...haha...
Thing is, there aren't so many FPS games on the N64 that it would warrant a mix up like that, especially for "experts" that get paid to know and produce content about video games. Perfect Dark and Golden Eye alone, for example, are important enough that they shouldn't be mixed up with some other game or franchise, IMHO. Same for the Turok games or Doom 64 or whatever is left on the N64.

Maybe it's my problem but when someone starts to demand pay for something, it changes my expectations quite a bit.

Rei no Otaku

Jul 4, 2008
Cranston, RI
Man... I don't understand how he's OK with getting paid when he doesn't seem to know the basics, even. Maybe that says more about me than him...haha...
Thing is, there aren't so many FPS games on the N64 that it would warrant a mix up like that, especially for "experts" that get paid to know and produce content about video games. Perfect Dark and Golden Eye alone, for example, are important enough that they shouldn't be mixed up with some other game or franchise, IMHO. Same for the Turok games or Doom 64 or whatever is left on the N64.

Maybe it's my problem but when someone starts to demand pay for something, it changes my expectations quite a bit.
You're lucky if they even remember the platforms and price of a game they're quick looking. During the Mass Alex feature Vinny was saying that Mass Effect was one of his favorite series, possibly his favorite, yet it became painfully clear he remembered nothing about the games. He couldn't even recall major plot points. It's like something in San Francisco gives you the memory of a goldfish.

Hudo

Jul 26, 2018
You're lucky if they even remember the platforms and price of a game they're quick looking. During the Mass Alex feature Vinny was saying that Mass Effect was one of his favorite series, possibly his favorite, yet it became painfully clear he remembered nothing about the games. He couldn't even recall major plot points. It's like something in San Francisco gives you the memory of a goldfish.
Which is especially weird because the memorable moments are a big part of why people like Mass Effect. However, they'll also play a lot more games (often times without really wanting to play them), so maybe that might cause forgetting other stuff. But that's just speculation, really... But yeah, it doesn't surprise me that stuff like that happens at Giant Bomb.

I also agree that Jeff seems like the most competent guy there but his "jaded shtick" becomes a bit too much for me. It was fun comedy device in the Mario Party Parties. though.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
What I expect out of Giant Bomb is a group of people who are fun to listen to, but more importantly have a better knowledge than me at video games. Sadly, Giant Bomb has become something that I despise. Hiring people who are absolutely not qualified for their jobs. Ben and Abby continually show they can't connect with their audience. The original staff has become so adiment about not liking video games, I honestly wonder why they haven't quit. Every bombcast or stream ends with "lets get out of here" like they are being forced into pure torture. Acting like Mario Party is a horrible game and physically causing them harm is funny once in a great while. But every single quicklook or stream now has them acting like they are being waterboarded. How is watching people hate something fun? It isn't.

I don't want or need people jumping out of their seats and whooping and hollering at the an announcement of an announcement of a CGI no gameplay trailer for a game that won't see the light of day for years either. There is a balance, Giant Bomb used to have that.. Now all we have is people either acting like their jobs are the worst thing in the entire world, or children who know nothing telling me incorrect information and spouting it off like fact.

You can tell Abby lies about the games she's playing because she has an opinion on every single game that is coming out, yet either incorrectly talks about it or says something flat out not true that even playing a few minutes of the game would become evident in.

One of the excuses that actually angers me is "oh I need to play that" and come GOTY time, none of them have played the games that are being talked about because they didn't have time... REALLY? They couldn't find time in their oh so busy jobs of PLAYING VIDEO GAMES FOR A LIVING to play a video game? When I can play, complete and have a better informed conversation about video games than people's who's job it is to play games.... I question why I don't have that job. I loved Giant Bomb and wish it was like the good old days where they had fun, and got away with murder. Sadly it's not ever going to change only get worse with how Abby and Ben basically can do whatever they want without consequence. I'd gladly take a awkward terrible PAX Q/A segment over whatever hate for the audience tirade Abby got away with this year. She is prideful and arrogant and anyone who has listened to Giant Bomb before 2018 has more knowledge than her.

I can tell know that I'm not the demographic for Giant Bomb. Someone closer to Jeff and Brad in age and someone who already has a good knowledge of games. Someone who doesn't need hosts dressed up in dollar store costumes to play bad games.... Can you imagine what Giant Bomb would look like if they hired Peter Brown instead of Ben? It'd look respectable. We'd have indepth well informed conversations of games and mechanics and streams of hardware and older games. It'd be a whole new website that would be a beacon of information about video games. But at this point, saying I like Giant Bomb is an embarrassing statement to make. Watching a stream now makes me feel like a child and some sort of weirdo as the newer hires are doing a disservice to the medium and actively making it look like video games are meant for kids who like Ninja and pewdiepie.

Sorry for the rant, but I have been feeling this way a lot lately, and I can't post anywhere else with actual criticisms. Does anyone have any recommendations for podcast or streams not geared towards children or morons? One that talks about actual video games and not politics?

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
What I expect out of Giant Bomb is a group of people who are fun to listen to, but more importantly have a better knowledge than me at video games. Sadly, Giant Bomb has become something that I despise. Hiring people who are absolutely not qualified for their jobs. Ben and Abby continually show they can't connect with their audience. The original staff has become so adiment about not liking video games, I honestly wonder why they haven't quit. Every bombcast or stream ends with "lets get out of here" like they are being forced into pure torture. Acting like Mario Party is a horrible game and physically causing them harm is funny once in a great while. But every single quicklook or stream now has them acting like they are being waterboarded. How is watching people hate something fun? It isn't.

I don't want or need people jumping out of their seats and whooping and hollering at the an announcement of an announcement of a CGI no gameplay trailer for a game that won't see the light of day for years either. There is a balance, Giant Bomb used to have that.. Now all we have is people either acting like their jobs are the worst thing in the entire world, or children who know nothing telling me incorrect information and spouting it off like fact.

You can tell Abby lies about the games she's playing because she has an opinion on every single game that is coming out, yet either incorrectly talks about it or says something flat out not true that even playing a few minutes of the game would become evident in.

One of the excuses that actually angers me is "oh I need to play that" and come GOTY time, none of them have played the games that are being talked about because they didn't have time... REALLY? They couldn't find time in their oh so busy jobs of PLAYING VIDEO GAMES FOR A LIVING to play a video game? When I can play, complete and have a better informed conversation about video games than people's who's job it is to play games.... I question why I don't have that job. I loved Giant Bomb and wish it was like the good old days where they had fun, and got away with murder. Sadly it's not ever going to change only get worse with how Abby and Ben basically can do whatever they want without consequence. I'd gladly take a awkward terrible PAX Q/A segment over whatever hate for the audience tirade Abby got away with this year. She is prideful and arrogant and anyone who has listened to Giant Bomb before 2018 has more knowledge than her.

I can tell know that I'm not the demographic for Giant Bomb. Someone closer to Jeff and Brad in age and someone who already has a good knowledge of games. Someone who doesn't need hosts dressed up in dollar store costumes to play bad games.... Can you imagine what Giant Bomb would look like if they hired Peter Brown instead of Ben? It'd look respectable. We'd have indepth well informed conversations of games and mechanics and streams of hardware and older games. It'd be a whole new website that would be a beacon of information about video games. But at this point, saying I like Giant Bomb is an embarrassing statement to make. Watching a stream now makes me feel like a child and some sort of weirdo as the newer hires are doing a disservice to the medium and actively making it look like video games are meant for kids who like Ninja and pewdiepie.

Sorry for the rant, but I have been feeling this way a lot lately, and I can't post anywhere else with actual criticisms. Does anyone have any recommendations for podcast or streams not geared towards children or morons? One that talks about actual video games and not politics?
If you're really into Japanese stuff, I'd recommend castle super beast. If not, sacred symbols is pretty good.

rofif

Sep 13, 2019
Hiring people who are absolutely not qualified for their jobs.
This is really crazy. It seems like there is no one left at giant bomb who can even set a pc game right. Anti aliasing? WHATS THAT?! PC OPTIONS?!!!!?? OH NOT I AM AFRAID... and Abby was supposed to be a technician and she knows nothing.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
One of the excuses that actually angers me is "oh I need to play that" and come GOTY time, none of them have played the games that are being talked about because they didn't have time... REALLY?
I’d love to be a fly on the wall at one of these “GotY meetings” they bring up all the time.

Like, what are they actually discussing at these meetings? What not to play? Making sure Abby has notes prepared so she doesn’t sound like a completely ignorant idiot? What sexism Abby, Ben and Alex can rant about? How to quell Dan’s funniness?

Makes me wonder.

Reactions: rickyEGM and rofif

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I’d love to be a fly on the wall at one of these “GotY meetings” they bring up all the time.

Like, what are they actually discussing at these meetings? What not to play? Making sure Abby has notes prepared so she doesn’t sound like a completely ignorant idiot? What sexism Abby, Ben and Alex can rant about? How to quell Dan’s funniness?

Makes me wonder.
I'd love to hear what went on for this last year. I felt like they didn't even mention Tetris until the last possible second and it felt like they barely explained it and just was at number 1. Like it was just unanimously voted off air and they told everyone not to mention it, like it was some sort of inside joke.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
I come bearing news. Danielle Reandueowo is out of a job and Austin Walker is waddling down from his editorial role.

I always thought what Austin did to Giant Bomb was skeezy. He leveraged his position at Giant Bomb to get where he was at Waypoint. Now it's all going down the drain because nobody wants to be lectured on their whiteness while going to a video game website. Good job 'Professor Killah'.

These PC people never learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.