• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Giant Bomb |OT1| The real Bomb shelter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghetto_Capitalist

Neo Member
Sep 18, 2019
Upstate NY
I always thought what Austin did to Giant Bomb was skeezy. He leveraged his position at Giant Bomb to get where he was at Waypoint. Now it's all going down the drain because nobody wants to be lectured on their whiteness while going to a video game website. Good job 'Professor Killah'.

These PC people never learn.
I hope this does go to show that the hard leaning woke shi t and their mob (that actively seeks out to hurt people in the name of politics) isn't worth it. I respect Austin and don't blame him for taking a chance on a big break. GB had an excellent hire and it happened to answer their white male diversity criticisms. So, yeah that did leave them high and dry on that.

O-N-E

Jul 11, 2018
You guys are misunderstanding the Waypoint thing. They both have new projects they're working on, according to Austin. On his twitter, he said he's going to announce one later today. The only thing I'm wondering is if it'll include a patreon.

Reactions: Ghetto_Capitalist

TexMex

Aug 30, 2019
Yeah we're talking like he's on the way to the bread line, nothing to suggest it's anything other than a new role.

Rei no Otaku

Jul 4, 2008
Cranston, RI
You guys are misunderstanding the Waypoint thing. They both have new projects they're working on, according to Austin. On his twitter, he said he's going to announce one later today. The only thing I'm wondering is if it'll include a patreon.
Apparently he's writing a WWE graphic novel.

• Triggered
Reactions: brap

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
It is obvious as hell they got squeezed out after the Waypoint “restructuring”.

Hired at Giant Bomb when?

If Austin comes back and/or they hire Danielle, even I will stop listening to the podcasts. Despite my valuable research work.

She’s the main reason I stopped listening to the Idle Thumbs podcast many years ago. It went from hilarious and interesting to hour long lectures about how male gamers are immature babies and “hey, I’m a tough lesbian so let me tell you again about the time I beat up males in the boxing ring at the gym because that totally really happened”.

Vomit.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Has everybody read Austins reasons for stepping away from being an editor on the Waypoint forums?

Per Austin:
What's good internet? If you've listened to today's episode of Waypoint Radio (or simply read the description) then you've heard the news. Danielle Riendeau is heading off to new video games journalism pastures, and though you'll still be able to hear me on the podcast every week, I'm stepping back from my editorial role at VICE. I'm betting you have some questions, but first and foremost, I want to underscore that this good news for everyone involved. The ship is not sinking, the alarms are not sounding, there is no fire in the barn (is that a saying?).
We dig into all of this late in today’s podcast (timestamp: 2:10:39, or a little later if you’ve got an ad). That said, I’m hoping I can anticipate some of your questions RIGHT NOW and offer you some answers. So, let’s start:
Q. What does this mean for the future of Waypoint Radio?
While Danielle is off to new adventures, I’ll be remaining on the podcast for the foreseeable future. (Labor-conscious friends: Yes, I’m being fairly compensated.) The team also hopes to expand the degree to which we bring special guests (both in the games industry and fellow journalists and critics) onto the podcast in the future!
Q. Will you still be writing articles for VICE Games?
Yes, but less frequently than before. Part of the reason I’m stepping back is to reduce my workload over all, and to let me feel a little bit less like I need to be part of every single emerging conversation.
Q. Is VICE Games shutting down?
No! While it has been a year filled with lots of changes, it’s also been VICE Games most successful year yet in terms of traffic and growth. We’ve got great editorial support from the incredible folks at Motherboard and the new head of Audio has been a great resource for us. It looks like we might even be getting a new podcast studio soon!
Q. What does this mean for the future of VICE Games?
It means that it’s in good hands. Cado, Patrick, and Rob are going to continue to carry the ethos and mission of Waypoint forward, and I’ll be here every week on Waypoint Radio to check in on them. On top of that, VICE Games will be working with new, diverse voices through freelance contributions to the website and additional guests on the podcast.
Q. Are y’all going to hire more people?
Now that I’ve left the editorial leadership team, this is one I actually can’t answer directly! That said, please know that we’ve voiced our own concerns about our team’s diversity with management and I know that the VICE Games team will keep that in mind if and when they are able to fill out the team with new, full time members!
Q: Why are you leaving?
Because it’s time, more or less. I first got into games journalism and crit over a decade ago. I took a pause for some grad school in there, but all said, I’ve devoted a lot of time to pursuing this career. And all the while, I’ve been working on side projects and developing hobbies into secondary careers in the background. The truth is, I’ve been ready to make this move for some time, I just needed to be confident that it was the right move (both for me and for the folks I was handing the keys over to).
And now is the right time.
But I’d be a fool if I tried to convince myself that I was ready to leave games behind entirely. I will always love games and have OPINIONS about them. I’m thrilled that the team here at Waypoint Radio (and my friends and management in VICE) are happy to let me continue to have those opinions in front of a microphone every week.
Q: So wait, what is next for you, Austin?
A lot of naps, hopefully?
A big part of why I’m stepping back is because I’ve been ignoring my own advice, burning the candle at both ends, and neglecting my own work-life balance by juggling my full time job at VICE, my part-time job with actual play podcast Friends at the Table, and an increasingly busy schedule of talks and panels and other side projects.
That is, of course, the other reason I’m doing this. If you follow Friends at the Table (or have heard me run the yearly Beastcast holiday RPG), then you know that the only thing I love as much (if not more) than video games, is “critical world building, smart characterization, and fun interaction between good friends.” Stepping back from VICE is going to give me the opportunity to do a lot more of all three of those things, not only in the context of FatT, but also in my own personal and professional life.
Speaking of that… make sure to keep an eye on my Twitter feed later today for the announcement of the first new project I’ll be working on. It’s something I’m really excited about, and I’m working with some incredible people that I’ve wanted to link up with for a long time now. Should be fun!
Thanks for your support all these years. Some of y’all have been following me on this journey for a full decade now, others hopped on around when we started Friends at the Table, or when I joined Giant Bomb, or when we launched Waypoint with a ridiculous 72 hour live stream three years ago. Some of you probably only just learned who I was! Whatever is the case for you, please know that I’ve only been able to make it this far because of your encouragement. It means the world to me that you’ve cheered me on all these years. And SPECIAL THANKS to the incredible Waypoint mods and community team. Y’all some real ones.
I cannot wait for the next chapter of Waypoint Radio and VICE Games to begin. Until then… (then = Monday, I guess?)… … … Peace.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
I've never heard the term "labor conscious friends" before.

Hello my fellow labor conscious friends. What a pinko thing to say.

Reactions: Scopa

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
So, I guess Austin doesn't like games as much now? This is the problem with a bunch of these sites, they care more about social justice and their other projects than actually enjoying playing video games.

Last edited:
Reactions: BibleBLACKED

rickyEGM

Aug 29, 2019
I’m sure they could find a female that is knowledgeable about games and not completely idiotic and obnoxious.

They could, but they won’t.

It’s not about gender for me. It’s about annoying dumb fucks.
That woman doesn't exist in the games press

KingMoron

Dec 10, 2018
Reee Reee Reee it's Fat Austin

I'mmmm gonna podcast for youuuu
Smack my lips and hear me chew.

You'll have some fun now with me and rape time scoops.
My opinions are about as useful, as a homeless addicts poops

Na na na, social justice jerkoffs
REE REE REE
na na na, social justice jerkoffs
REE REE REE

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Wowsers, at around the 56 minute mark of today's UPF Rorie says "Ben's pretty good at video games if you hadn't noticed so far" and Jeff looks incredulous and quickly shakes his head.

Yes, Jeff, give in to your anger.

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Fuckin Christ Walker is a fucking blimp and a half. Eat a fucking salad man good lord.

His man tits look just as mutant and abominable as Bens.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Yesterdays beastcast was actually pretty enjoyable, there must be a pattern.
Just listened to it. Dan was actually allowed to be Dan without a fuckhead with the mentality of a 12 year old screeching over the top and constantly interrupting.

It was refreshing.

Reactions: BibleBLACKED

brap

Jan 9, 2018
Just listened to it. Dan was actually allowed to be Dan without a fuckhead with the mentality of a 12 year old screeching over the top and constantly interrupting.

It was refreshing.
Bro I'm serious listen to his podcast with Bianca if you want your Dan fix. Pure unfiltered Dan deliciousness.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Bro I'm serious listen to his podcast with Bianca if you want your Dan fix. Pure unfiltered Dan deliciousness.
I started listening to the Bram Stoker’s Dracula episode the other day, but didn’t get far into it.

brap

Jan 9, 2018
I started listening to the Bram Stoker’s Dracula episode the other day, but didn’t get far into it.
Bad? I've only been listening to the ones about dumb stuff. I don't care to hear them talk about anime or what serious tv shows they've been watching.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Bad? I've only been listening to the ones about dumb stuff. I don't care to hear them talk about anime or what serious tv shows they've been watching.
I did get a bit bored tbh. What eps should I be listening to?

brap

Jan 9, 2018
I did get a bit bored tbh. What eps should I be listening to?
Idk. I liked Degrassi, Millionaire Dog, Gamer, Real Rob, Rock of Love, Love on a Leash. I haven't listened to any of the ones of serious movies or shows so they might be boring. The one about the boy band guy was kinda interesting though.

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
If you guys really want a time warp into gaming podcast perfection, then listen to GFW Radio with Jeff Green, Shawn Elliott (did work on Bioshock Infinite and now at Arkane), and the rest of the crew.

While it was considered a PC centric show, they talked about console games too and a bunch of other random shit. The show was and is still the best.

Pre Obama, pre language and thought police

2008 was the peak and then everyone moved on to their separate ways

ElKabong

Neo Member
Sep 29, 2019
I'm watching the fourth episode of the Resident Evil 4 "playdate" and Vinny says he wouldn't watch "Weird Science" on stream because it would be "problematic". What the fuck happened to this man?

• Triggered

brap

Jan 9, 2018
I'm watching the fourth episode of the Resident Evil 4 "playdate" and Vinny says he wouldn't watch "Weird Science" on stream because it would be "problematic". What the fuck happened to this man?
Weird Science is great. One of the best 80s movies. His loss. He can stick to The Hate U Give and other shitty modern films then.

Reactions: JovianLizards

rickyEGM

Aug 29, 2019
If you guys really want a time warp into gaming podcast perfection, then listen to GFW Radio with Jeff Green, Shawn Elliott (did work on Bioshock Infinite and now at Arkane), and the rest of the crew.

While it was considered a PC centric show, they talked about console games too and a bunch of other random shit. The show was and is still the best.

Pre Obama, pre language and thought police

2008 was the peak and then everyone moved on to their separate ways

take me back lord... take me back.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Have you been enjoying Abby getting snitty about Dan helping her with completely obvious tips?

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
I knew vinny had become more "woke" or whatever, but that is just sad. Do you just lose all sense of fun and humor when you have a kid and turn 40? If so, Jeff has already become increasingly curmudgeonly and boring over the recent years. God knows what having a kid is going to do to him.

Point'N'Click

Banned
Sep 12, 2019
I'll stop touching anime if you stop touching kids, you fucking nonce.
I can't believe I got a ban for tongue in cheek calling O-N-E O-N-E a nonce.

NeoGAF has touches of resetera snowflakes in the mods still clearly.

Fucking hell how do you guys leave your house without feeling unsafe if banter like that triggers you.

Reactions: rofif

brap

Jan 9, 2018

Fucking hell how do you guys leave your house without feeling unsafe if banter like that triggers you.
Yeah, it was that and not calling him and everybody who has an anime avatar a pedophile :rolleyes:
I'm not saying he is.

But if you
  • Like anime
  • Watch kids shows by yourself
  • Preach SJW values as a single man
You probably fuck or want to fuck kids.

I wouldn't trust anyone with those traits with my kid.

Every degenerate pervert you see online has an anime avatar.

Point'N'Click

Banned
Sep 12, 2019
Obviously not all anime fans are nonces.

But there's a huge overlap and if you watch shows with those cutesy girls and boys in I will judge you with caution.

Too much crossovers between anime and nonces to not do so.

Any normal anime fans will be aware of the darker side of the hobby too.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind

Let's not forget amirox had a cutesy anime avatar.

Too close to home maybe?
You should apply for a job at Giant Bomb with all that smart arse edge.

Bonus, you’ll get to work with Ugly Abby. Schwiiing schwiiing.

Zaffo

Feb 11, 2018
Isn't Nier Automata going viral only because the lady has a big ass?
I bet all the people who like that game are huge creeps, yikes.

Better steer the discussion into gay dad dating sim, now that's some wholesome fun, also DICKS BALLS DICKS, very powerfull modern woman.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.