• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Giant Bomb |OT1| The real Bomb shelter

Status
Not open for further replies.

O-N-E

Jul 11, 2018
I can't believe I got a ban for tongue in cheek calling O-N-E O-N-E a nonce.
Obviously not all anime fans are nonces.

But there's a huge overlap and if you watch shows with those cutesy girls and boys in I will judge you with caution.

Too much crossovers between anime and nonces to not do so.

Any normal anime fans will be aware of the darker side of the hobby too.
So was it tongue in cheek or not? You're contradicting yourself.

I didn't report you by the way, but the ban was warranted. I made a lighthearted comment with a silly gif and you came in hot with this...

I'll stop touching anime if you stop touching kids, you fucking nonce.
And now you come back with a huge chip on your shoulder. Ain't my fault you acted a fool and continue to be defensive about it.

KingMoron

Dec 10, 2018

I didn't report you by the way, but the ban was warranted. I made a lighthearted comment with a silly gif and you came in hot with this...

And now you come back with a huge chip on your shoulder. Ain't my fault you acted a fool and continue to be defensive about it.

Point'N'Click

Banned
Sep 12, 2019

Calling you a nonce was tongue in cheek.

Saying I always assume anime fans are likely to be nonces was only slightly tongue in cheek.

I didn't say you reported me. Obviously a snowflake mod who needs to head over to REEEEE.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
For as much as everyone says they hate Abby, you sure do talk and post pictures of her a lot.

Anyways, I finally got the the“Prestige Games” talk on last weeks Bombcast. For me, the what seemed like years of fawning over Goose Game before it came out made me really question what it was from the beginning. Seeing the quick look I realized it’s a very simple game where the main point is to be a jerk. That is absolutely uninteresting to me and made the game look extremely shallow.
Once it came out everyone seemed to lose their damn minds over it. I was baffled. Hearing the West crew collectively hate it was nice, but not for the right reasons. That game looks simple as anything else on mobile.
What really made me irked was the term “Prestige Games” since prestige basically mean respect and quality. So the fact that it’s used in a sense to denote games that people like then hate makes no sense to me. Kinda weird hearing them talk for almost two hours about mobile games for so long then act like real games are somehow beneath them (while Jeff plays Call is Duty mobile on his phone)

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
For as much as everyone says they hate Abby, you sure do talk and post pictures of her a lot.

Anyways, I finally got the the“Prestige Games” talk on last weeks Bombcast. For me, the what seemed like years of fawning over Goose Game before it came out made me really question what it was from the beginning. Seeing the quick look I realized it’s a very simple game where the main point is to be a jerk. That is absolutely uninteresting to me and made the game look extremely shallow.
Once it came out everyone seemed to lose their damn minds over it. I was baffled. Hearing the West crew collectively hate it was nice, but not for the right reasons. That game looks simple as anything else on mobile.
What really made me irked was the term “Prestige Games” since prestige basically mean respect and quality. So the fact that it’s used in a sense to denote games that people like then hate makes no sense to me. Kinda weird hearing them talk for almost two hours about mobile games for so long then act like real games are somehow beneath them (while Jeff plays Call is Duty mobile on his phone)
Uh oh, he got us guys. The jig is up, he found out how we all secretly love Abby. Time to pack it up.

• LOL
Reactions: ferralcow and Scopa

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
You guys should check out the forum thread on Giant Bomb talking about Austin Walker stepping down as editor of Waypoint. I've only really seen bits of their content here and there, but somebody on Giant Bomb said they all got way too political (we all know this) and Vice told them to keep the focus on video games, which I hadn't heard before. There's some interesting info in that thread.

The initial post has Patrick's response to the situation as well, which is basically him whining about how he has a kid now and can't do his side projects. He says he switched jobs from Kotaku to Vice when he was just about to have a kid so he could have better work hours. If Austin knew he was going to leave eventually, and if his leaving could possibly disrupt the site, why would he get Patrick to work there? Seems kinda shitty to me.

Also, Patrick says he's burnt out and someone was saying Austin's mental health will be better now. What is so damn mentally exhausting about playing video games for a living?

The whole Waypoint deal sounds like a scam for some of these people to further their careers, and it seems Austin never had the responsibility and maturity to run a video game website.

rofif

Sep 13, 2019
What is so damn mentally exhausting about playing video games for a living?
It's work as any other maybe just more public because You stream.
I think people burnt out in this industry, mentally defeated and having a bad time would be the same in any line of work be it engineer, teacher or taxi driver(or whatever really).
I think video games as games is great and I would like a work like that but I am an engineer... for years now and even here many people cannot take it and burn out quickly. It's a personal trait. Any work is difficult nowadays, life is difficult and people cannot take it.

Reactions: Ghetto_Capitalist

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Waypoint always seemed like a politics website thinly veiled as a “video games site”. They weren’t fooling anyone. That site was for people who care more about how upset they should be about games than enjoying them, and telling people if they aren’t absolutely outraged and forcing devs to change their art for the views of the outraged, they are horrible people

chillinggamers_

Neo Member
Feb 12, 2018
Waypoint lost their chance with me when one of the girls tried to label Conan O’Brien as some sort of sexist/ an enabler of bad behavior. I don’t see it lasting long.

I got around to listening to the Beastcast with Drew that was so refreshing from the usual mess when Abby is there.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
It's work as any other maybe just more public because You stream.
I think people burnt out in this industry, mentally defeated and having a bad time would be the same in any line of work be it engineer, teacher or taxi driver(or whatever really).
I think video games as games is great and I would like a work like that but I am an engineer... for years now and even here many people cannot take it and burn out quickly. It's a personal trait. Any work is difficult nowadays, life is difficult and people cannot take it.
Yeah, I guess maybe these smaller sites always have an air of impending closure to them and that may lead to performance anxiety as they may be fired at any time if they don't stand above the competitors. I think though that these people just need to be a little more enthusiastic about having a job where you play video games and goof off on stream, and get paid enough to live in very expensive cities. Dan Ryckert is a perfect example of someone who loves their job and is thankful for it. I don't see Dan ever complaining about his job.

I just think the idea of "burning out" while playing video games for a living is crazy.

Last edited:

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Burnout can happen in any profession. But the fact that these companies has such lack rules and barely have much content to show for it for the amount of employees. GB for example works 4 days a week, they also have 5 weeks of vacation time depending if you’ve been there a decent enough time. and for the west especially, only produce around maybe if we are lucky, 5 or 6 hours of content a week. I don’t know about you, but I have never heard of ANY job with that much vacation time, on top of only having to show up from like 11am-5pm, only 4 days a week.
They fact they ever complain about anything makes them seem extremely spoiled.
Not to say they are, but it just seems like they’ve got it easier than 95% of the working population and most of their listeners.
Burnout can happen, but when you are barely in front of a mic or camera throughout the week and don’t even have to do much of anything, it’s hard to believe there is much more than being lazy going on

Reactions: JovianLizards

rofif

Sep 13, 2019
Yeah, I guess maybe these smaller sites always have an air of impending closure to them and that may lead to performance anxiety as they may be fired at any time if they don't stand above the competitors. I think though that these people just need to be a little more enthusiastic about having a job where you play video games and goof off on stream, and get paid enough to live in very expensive cities. Dan Ryckert is a perfect example of someone who loves their job and is thankful for it. I don't see Dan ever complaining about his job.

I just think the idea of "burning out" while playing video games for a living is crazy.
I was thinking I am burnt out of playing video games... but now that I am 30 I realized that most games SUCK nowadays and my golden years have passed. We still get some great single player games like Last Guardian, Bloodborne, God of War etc but it feels like "occasional AAA gamer" more than "plays everything on a 360" gamer :p

eot

Apr 13, 2012
Burnout can happen in any profession. But the fact that these companies has such lack rules and barely have much content to show for it for the amount of employees. GB for example works 4 days a week, they also have 5 weeks of vacation time depending if you’ve been there a decent enough time. and for the west especially, only produce around maybe if we are lucky, 5 or 6 hours of content a week. I don’t know about you, but I have never heard of ANY job with that much vacation time, on top of only having to show up from like 11am-5pm, only 4 days a week.
They fact they ever complain about anything makes them seem extremely spoiled.
Not to say they are, but it just seems like they’ve got it easier than 95% of the working population and most of their listeners.
Burnout can happen, but when you are barely in front of a mic or camera throughout the week and don’t even have to do much of anything, it’s hard to believe there is much more than being lazy going on
5 weeks of vacation is the norm in Europe. I don't begrudge them that, fuck working every day of your whole life. It's not vacation time that's the problem with the site.

rofif

Sep 13, 2019
5 weeks norm in europe ?! I am from Poland and we takin 2 weeks normally here. Someone takes 3 weeks we call him crazy !

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Also, Patrick says he's burnt out and someone was saying Austin's mental health will be better now. What is so damn mentally exhausting about playing video games for a living?
They are snowflakes that think just living a normal life is the most demanding thing anyone has ever done. Finding something to be outraged about on a daily basis is tough work.

Also, getting your 230-300lb ass out of bed in the morning is very exhausting.

rofif

Sep 13, 2019
They are snowflakes that think just living a normal life is the most demanding thing anyone has ever done. Finding something to be outraged about on a daily basis is tough work.

Also, getting your 230-300lb ass out of bed in the morning is very exhausting.
I am 250 (and 6.2) and I agree. Getting up in the morning is a nightmare :p

• LOL
Reactions: Scopa

eot

Apr 13, 2012
5 weeks norm in europe ?! I am from Poland and we takin 2 weeks normally here. Someone takes 3 weeks we call him crazy !
Yes, more or less. According to this the average is closer to 4 weeks (that's the minimum by law though).

Maybe you have a cultural stigma against using it in Poland, but at least in all the western European countries I know that's not the case. In Sweden you actually have to take your holidays.

Last edited:

BibleBLACKED

Mar 20, 2017
on top of only having to show up from like 11am-5pm, only 4 days a week.
Wait this is official? I always thought they produced way less content in the amount of normal work hours they had, thinking previously it was a full work week, than normal people do at their jobs. And yet they still complained having not enough time to play games.

Now they work only 4 days, less than 8 hrs a day and still produce less content than there should be with 5 people on the west side?

Last edited:

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
They have to drink beer while they talk about and play videogames. Sometimes they even have to vlog mail that's been sent to them. And write three to five reviews total a year. It's difficult work just trust me.
Man, I didn't realize just how little they've reviewed this year. Cackdown 3 and Anthem are all they could manage. Why aren't they reviewing more games? Have they talked about this? I also would like more news on the site, because they can't be bothered to put timestamps on the podcast. Ben should be taken off camera and put on news and reviews, he doesn't add anything to the videos he's in. Jeff could put him to better use producing more written content.

Reactions: BibleBLACKED

rickyEGM

Aug 29, 2019
Yeah they've talked about it many times throughout the years. Jeff doesn't really care about reviews and doesn't want the focus of their output to be on them. I'm completely cool with that, there are tons of sites to check out if you want reviews.

But writing and reporting on stories and the industry, you know actual work, is one of the only things I could find even remotely tiring and stressful in the games press industry. And Giant Bomb doesn't do any of that anymore. And their video/streaming output hasn't really increased once they shyed away from that so I dunno...

Reactions: Hudo

Blue_Barry

Jun 3, 2012
5 weeks of vacation is the norm in Europe. I don't begrudge them that, fuck working every day of your whole life. It's not vacation time that's the problem with the site.
5 weeks is a minimum of what I would expect any organisation to have. People are not robots ffs.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Yeah they've talked about it many times throughout the years. Jeff doesn't really care about reviews and doesn't want the focus of their output to be on them. I'm completely cool with that, there are tons of sites to check out if you want reviews.

But writing and reporting on stories and the industry, you know actual work, is one of the only things I could find even remotely tiring and stressful in the games press industry. And Giant Bomb doesn't do any of that anymore. And their video/streaming output hasn't really increased once they shyed away from that so I dunno...
Yeah, I know they've never been big on reviewing everything, but it just seems like they've reviewed more in the past.

Also, what is Brad doing all day? Can he not start reviewing a little more and put out some more articles?

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
Man, I didn't realize just how little they've reviewed this year. Cackdown 3 and Anthem are all they could manage. Why aren't they reviewing more games? Have they talked about this? I also would like more news on the site, because they can't be bothered to put timestamps on the podcast. Ben should be taken off camera and put on news and reviews, he doesn't add anything to the videos he's in. Jeff could put him to better use producing more written content.
He has a hard time stringing together a coherent sequence of thoughts together, God knows what a written review would be like.

Reactions: Noboru Wataya

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Also, man is Business Dave great. The guy's got great charisma and camera presence, and unlike Ben, his jokes actually land.

Dave, Rorie, and Jeff are pretty good together. Brad can be funny as well with them, I just think Trump broke him or something.

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
Also, man is Business Dave great. The guy's got great charisma and camera presence, and unlike Ben, his jokes actually land.

Dave, Rorie, and Jeff are pretty good together. Brad can be funny as well with them, I just think Trump broke him or something.
Meh. Even during the good old days, Brad was somewhat of a boring downer.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
They’ve stated a million times that reviews are basically pointless in this era and they seem no need to unless they want to do them. Ben has written a couple reviews, including Cuphead. Remember last year when they were going to do podcast reviews for games? (boy that got killed after like... two?)

I’m honestly totally fine with no reviews, like others say, there are a million other places to find written reviews. I go to Giant Bomb because I like hearing them talk about games. It used to be interesting, and in depth, now they just seem like they want to either make bad improv jokes the entire time and gaming comes second to that (East) or that their job is so secretive no one can know what they do all day and can only muster the minimum amount of effort to stream the absolute minimum amount of time so they don’t get fired (West)

Honestly at this point, they should shut down for those 5 weeks of vacation and overhaul the site. (Wouldn’t even talk too long) use some of those “meetings” They are literally always in apparently and come up with a few ways to get the site back to where they are having fun, and not make it look like they are being threatened at gunpoint right off camera.

1. Remove people who have difficulty talking. (Ben/Rorie). Why is Rorie a HUGE partof the GB crew? He is on pretty much everything and never pays attention. Every time he speaks he apologizes for it, then continues to do it. Stream of consciousness is NOT enjoyable to listen to.

2. Remove people who aren’t doing their jobs. (Abby). We all know the issues with her, but mainly,... wasn’t she hired as a “assistant video producer”? Since she clearly doesn’t know how to hit the record button, now she is the main person who has control of the podcast, emails and in several of her own features.

3. Get a Damn Schedule! How there isn’t a easy to follow way to know what is going to happen on any day of the week for the site is beyond me. Every month should have a post (or he’ll, use the stupid newsletter that basically serves no purpose and can’t even follow a scheduled release either) And post when these features will air and will allow for some Oh so precious “game time” they apparently don’t have at their jobs of playing video games. Use that time to catch up on games they “need to get to” for GOTYso they don’t look like chumps who played less games than their audience.

meh.. that’s about it. I think the site could use some major restructuring, but it’s not my job to do this for them, and that took me all of about three minutes to type out off the top of my head. And the site would be so much better off now. But at this point, they aren’t getting fired as long as they do the bare minimum. The worst thing to ever happen to the site was being bought by CBSi, that merger killed all effort they needed to give.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
They’ve stated a million times that reviews are basically pointless in this era and they seem no need to unless they want to do them. Ben has written a couple reviews, including Cuphead. Remember last year when they were going to do podcast reviews for games? (boy that got killed after like... two?)

I’m honestly totally fine with no reviews, like others say, there are a million other places to find written reviews. I go to Giant Bomb because I like hearing them talk about games. It used to be interesting, and in depth, now they just seem like they want to either make bad improv jokes the entire time and gaming comes second to that (East) or that their job is so secretive no one can know what they do all day and can only muster the minimum amount of effort to stream the absolute minimum amount of time so they don’t get fired (West)

Honestly at this point, they should shut down for those 5 weeks of vacation and overhaul the site. (Wouldn’t even talk too long) use some of those “meetings” They are literally always in apparently and come up with a few ways to get the site back to where they are having fun, and not make it look like they are being threatened at gunpoint right off camera.

1. Remove people who have difficulty talking. (Ben/Rorie). Why is Rorie a HUGE partof the GB crew? He is on pretty much everything and never pays attention. Every time he speaks he apologizes for it, then continues to do it. Stream of consciousness is NOT enjoyable to listen to.

2. Remove people who aren’t doing their jobs. (Abby). We all know the issues with her, but mainly,... wasn’t she hired as a “assistant video producer”? Since she clearly doesn’t know how to hit the record button, now she is the main person who has control of the podcast, emails and in several of her own features.

3. Get a Damn Schedule! How there isn’t a easy to follow way to know what is going to happen on any day of the week for the site is beyond me. Every month should have a post (or he’ll, use the stupid newsletter that basically serves no purpose and can’t even follow a scheduled release either) And post when these features will air and will allow for some Oh so precious “game time” they apparently don’t have at their jobs of playing video games. Use that time to catch up on games they “need to get to” for GOTYso they don’t look like chumps who played less games than their audience.

meh.. that’s about it. I think the site could use some major restructuring, but it’s not my job to do this for them, and that took me all of about three minutes to type out off the top of my head. And the site would be so much better off now. But at this point, they aren’t getting fired as long as they do the bare minimum. The worst thing to ever happen to the site was being bought by CBSi, that merger killed all effort they needed to give.
Long form, more in-depth reviews are what gets them to finish games. Throwing reviews out the window or severely limiting them is what is leading them to not finish games. It seems like they play a decent amount of stuff like half way through, and then when the end of the year comes around only one or two people have finished a game that has every right to be talked about in the game of the year discussion.

Everyone on staff that is in those discussions should be made to finish all of the big games out in the year so their discussions are meaningful. Jeff and Vinny are way too lax about wrangling their staff to focus them on finishing games. I would rather see UPF be a Playdate like stream where they work to finish games than them playing random Steam games that they'll never talk about again.

As for Rorie, how dare you criticize the boss of bosses. I want them to clone Rorie three times so that four Rories can all talk about what they're doing for the weekend for two hours straight on UPF.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghetto_Capitalist

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Yeah Rorie doesn’t seem to have had his nuts fully clipped yet. His guest spots over the past couple years really breathe life into the episodes and part of that is because of his quirkiness.

Didn’t he tell Ben to suck his dick on that last charity stream?

Surprised he wasn’t thrown to the curb for that one.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
absolutely, everyone on staff should be forced to play the games that are going to be talked about GOTY. Most wouldn’t need to be completed, but at least played to the point where they can actually talk about it, instead of just hearing one person talk about it and spout false information as fact, or just never actually explaining anything. How they think they can put out a GOTY list without actually playing half of the games is baffling. Especially since that is their jobs.

In other news it looks like they are just becoming twitch streamers now who are catering to children. Why are they devoting a whole playthrough to a PS2 Spongebob game? Only 3 out of the 9 staff members would even actually have any "fondness" for that game.

ElKabong

Neo Member
Sep 29, 2019
There are solo youtubers/let's players that are more productive with far less of a budget.
This is something that has always confused me about Giant Bomb. They have two outlets with a combined 10 people on staff (I'm counting Rorie) and put out 30% the amount of content the average youtuber does. What the fuck do they do all day?

brap

Jan 9, 2018
This is something that has always confused me about Giant Bomb. They have two outlets with a combined 10 people on staff (I'm counting Rorie) and put out 30% the amount of content the average youtuber does. What the fuck do they do all day?
Brad - sleeps, eats, reads twitter and plays dota
Jason - winds up his cables as tight as they can be wound so they break
Jeff - Listens to rap music while desperately not trying to say the n-word and goes to meetings
Jan - Edits video and plays pokemon
Alex - 90% of the day he's on twitter/resetera. The other 10% he's trying to decipher the lyrics in old punk songs to see if they're problematic or not and if he should stop listening to them.
Abby - playing with toy cars
Dan - Enjoying life
Vinny - editing video since abby is busy
Ben - concentrating on not trying to suffocate himself with his own phlegm

ElKabong

Neo Member
Sep 29, 2019
Ben - concentrating on not trying to suffocate himself with his own phlegm
That's also Vinny. I know he's not nearly as bad and I love him dearly but his phlegmy voice is a little too much after a couple of hours.

• LOL
Reactions: brap
Aug 24, 2012
Imagine if Spongebob Square Pants was premium content 5 years ago. People would be way more pissed.

Gotta ween in the garbage slowly. Over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.