• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Giant Bomb |OT1| The real Bomb shelter

Status
Not open for further replies.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Is Jeff taking shots at Ben every podcast?
How could he not? Imagine working with the guy. I think if Jeff is publicly displaying his distaste for Ben, you gotta think its even worse in private. Maybe we'll all get an early Christmas present and Ben will be fired, though if they haven't fired Abby yet, I don't see them firing Ben.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Also, Is DK 64 really as hard to play as they make it seem? They act like they've never picked up a controller before. They seem to forget absolutely everything about the game in between episodes.

Last edited:
Reactions: BibleBLACKED
Sep 18, 2019
Upstate NY
Hopefully Ben is starting to crack. He’s been reactionary before on streams in a immature way. I don’t use social media other than Reddit (which is now seeing censorship, and harbors overt SJW hate speech). But he parrots the same bullshit of any criticism is an attack. I feel like I see less middle ground in any area tainted by a woke crowd. It’s embarrassing to see people only say nice things as though they’re worshipping in a cult.

Reactions: rofif

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
My God, these people cannot handle criticism and being on the internet. If you do anything on the internet these days people are going to nit pick everything, you have to be mature enough to see the valid points. He sounds like Patrick Klepek, he's "burning out". Also, he's being pretty shitty to Giant Bomb fans, 'cause I bet the criticisms he's talking about getting are super tame compared to the ones we talk about here.

DangerStepp

Sep 14, 2007
If you guys really want a time warp into gaming podcast perfection, then listen to GFW Radio with Jeff Green, Shawn Elliott (did work on Bioshock Infinite and now at Arkane), and the rest of the crew.

While it was considered a PC centric show, they talked about console games too and a bunch of other random shit. The show was and is still the best.

Pre Obama, pre language and thought police

2008 was the peak and then everyone moved on to their separate ways

I've actually been making my way back through the CGW/GFW collection and it's a bummer how much I miss that brand of discussion. Carefree humor meets seriously in-depth industry analysis. If there's another podcast that even comes close then please link me.

• Love
Reactions: VedderOA
Sep 18, 2019
Upstate NY
I think these people forget sometimes that they're providing a service to people. They aren't just goofing off on camera and are magically getting paid for it. They are somewhat beholden to their customers.
What kind of business model includes alienating an audience, whether they’re nice to you or not? They’re not mature enough to understand that it comes back on them. I give credit cause it’s public and stressful. But he just disgusts me regardless.
Like on the bombast this week, he just blurts the first dumb joke he thinks and gives a shitty ugly smile like it’s fun or something. They’ll back him up with a follow up and he’ll just ignore it, leaving everyone looking like jabronis. And then wipe his disgusting nose and face with his hand. Makes want to puke.
(And fyi I’d gladly have consensual love making with Abby even though she kinda sucks. Sorry for my previous outburst in defense of her. But I said what I feel and I’ll move on and I appreciate the forum and the voices here)

KingMoron

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2018
What kind of business model includes alienating an audience, whether they’re nice to you or not? They’re not mature enough to understand that it comes back on them. I give credit cause it’s public and stressful. But he just disgusts me regardless.
Like on the bombast this week, he just blurts the first dumb joke he thinks and gives a shitty ugly smile like it’s fun or something. They’ll back him up with a follow up and he’ll just ignore it, leaving everyone looking like jabronis. And then wipe his disgusting nose and face with his hand. Makes want to puke.
(And fyi I’d gladly have consensual love making with Abby even though she kinda sucks. Sorry for my previous outburst in defense of her. But I said what I feel and I’ll move on and I appreciate the forum and the voices here)

Rei no Otaku

Jul 4, 2008
Cranston, RI
Also, Is DK 64 really as hard to play as they make it seem? They act like they've never picked up a controller before. They seem to forget absolutely everything about the game in between episodes.
I've said it before, but something about working there ruins your memory. They clearly have trouble remembering anything that happened more than 3 days ago. If they haven't played a game in a week, then they might as well have never touched it.

Reactions: JovianLizards

eot

Apr 13, 2012
What has he said to him?
It's just small stuff, like he mentioned B-games and then right after made a "b-mails" pun, which to me had the connotation of "b-mail" not being "Ben-emails" but "B-tier-emails" and that kinda stuff. This week at the start Ben was comparing himself to the new Doom game and Jeff said something like "I didn't like Ben the first time" (even though he liked Doom). Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
It's just small stuff, like he mentioned B-games and then right after made a "b-mails" pun, which to me had the connotation of "b-mail" not being "Ben-emails" but "B-tier-emails" and that kinda stuff. This week at the start Ben was comparing himself to the new Doom game and Jeff said something like "I didn't like Ben the first time" (even though he liked Doom). Maybe I'm reading too much into it.
Everything you just said just made me dislike Ben even more.

• LOL

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
How could he not? Imagine working with the guy. I think if Jeff is publicly displaying his distaste for Ben, you gotta think its even worse in private. Maybe we'll all get an early Christmas present and Ben will be fired, though if they haven't fired Abby yet, I don't see them firing Ben.
I wish that were the case, but Jeff almost always laughs hysterically at Ben’s “jokes” (he’s the only one) and when Ben makes a particularly unfunny one, Jeff seems to jump in and keep it going. I get the impression they’ve actually become quite close outside of work. Why else would Jeff do that stupid aftershow podcast with the guy?

I’d love to know how Ben has to do Twitter “for my job”. What a load of bullshit.

You resent your fans, Ben? The feeling is entirely mutual. If they detest you, they are not “fans”, btw.

rofif

Sep 13, 2019
I think these people forget sometimes that they're providing a service to people. They aren't just goofing off on camera and are magically getting paid for it. They are somewhat beholden to their customers.
Wait... providing service for paying customers?
Like me? I've been paying them since 2013 for a sub. Huge fan since gamespot and 2008... so what do You do? You ban your customer from chatting and commenting because he had an opinion lol. (sorry for repeating this almost on every page).
Btw - I've summarized it quickly from the billing page. I've paid them 350usd since 2013. It might not be much to US citizens but it's a lot in Polish money (I am from Poland).
And don't get me wrong - I've got my entertainment worth over the years but it's just wrong how it all turned out and how they censorship the chat and treat customers.

Sep 18, 2019
Upstate NY
Wait... providing service for paying customers?
Like me? I've been paying them since 2013 for a sub. Huge fan since gamespot and 2008... so what do You do? You ban your customer from chatting and commenting because he had an opinion lol. (sorry for repeating this almost on every page).
Btw - I've summarized it quickly from the billing page. I've paid them 350usd since 2013. It might not be much to US citizens but it's a lot in Polish money (I am from Poland).
And don't get me wrong - I've got my entertainment worth over the years but it's just wrong how it all turned out and how they censorship the chat and treat customers.
I know part of the reason I was fired from a good job was from just making a shitty face publicly. That stuff doesn’t fly in the real world. The reason I’m at this forum is I became so alienated by the fandom online. It’s either woke politics and omg I love everything you do or you get dogpiled/banned. It does suck.

Last edited:

rofif

Sep 13, 2019
I know part of the reason I was fired from a good job was from just making a shitty face publicly. That stuff doesn’t fly in the real world. The reason I’m at this forum is I became so alienated by the fandom online. It’s either woke politics and omg I love everything you do or you get dogpiled/banned. It does suck.
Exactly. I've found that this forum accepted my opinions and even shares it! It's really welcoming and friendly compared to the other place which think it's warm and friendly...
And I too felt alienated. You can almost think You are crazy for not agreeing with all of this crazy politics but thankfully there are still some sane people it seems :)

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Exactly. I've found that this forum accepted my opinions and even shares it! It's really welcoming and friendly compared to the other place which think it's warm and friendly...
And I too felt alienated. You can almost think You are crazy for not agreeing with all of this crazy politics but thankfully there are still some sane people it seems :)
The vast majority of people are sane and normal. Unfortunately, the insane ones are the loudest online because the normal people are too busy actually living life. So, it skews the view to make it appear that batshit insane has taken over.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Feb 27, 2017
Hazuki Dojo
You guys should check out the forum thread on Giant Bomb talking about Austin Walker stepping down as editor of Waypoint. I've only really seen bits of their content here and there, but somebody on Giant Bomb said they all got way too political (we all know this) and Vice told them to keep the focus on video games, which I hadn't heard before. There's some interesting info in that thread.

The initial post has Patrick's response to the situation as well, which is basically him whining about how he has a kid now and can't do his side projects. He says he switched jobs from Kotaku to Vice when he was just about to have a kid so he could have better work hours. If Austin knew he was going to leave eventually, and if his leaving could possibly disrupt the site, why would he get Patrick to work there? Seems kinda shitty to me.

Also, Patrick says he's burnt out and someone was saying Austin's mental health will be better now. What is so damn mentally exhausting about playing video games for a living?

The whole Waypoint deal sounds like a scam for some of these people to further their careers, and it seems Austin never had the responsibility and maturity to run a video game website.
Not surprised at all. They overestimated the amount of people that wanted their sort of games coverage. I'm also convinced all those people on Era that claim to be fans of Waypoint don't actually read or listen to any of their content.

Is he fucking stupid? No wonder people can't stand him. Just no self-awareness at all.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: brap

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
I've actually been making my way back through the CGW/GFW collection and it's a bummer how much I miss that brand of discussion. Carefree humor meets seriously in-depth industry analysis. If there's another podcast that even comes close then please link me.
I wish man. That whole show was lightning in a fucking bottle. Shawn alone is one of the funniest and smartest dudes I’ve ever heard. So glad he made it in game development.

You had a feeling he’d end up someplace with the way he’d talk about games. Like he would love to push everything to the limit to see what he could away with (Vinny used to be the same way). It’s why he works for a company like Arkane. Those games are all about options.

His Half Life 2 Episode 2, BioShock and Mario Galaxy talks are straight cum worthy.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: DangerStepp
Sep 18, 2019
Upstate NY
Also welcome rofif and ghetto capitalist.

It’s nice to post your feels and not have to look behind your back isnt it?
Thank you and to the rest as well
Also welcome rofif and ghetto capitalist.

It’s nice to post your feels and not have to look behind your back isnt it?
Thank you and to the rest of the group. Laughs have been had along with good hardcore fan insights.

BarmyDodger

Neo Member
Aug 15, 2018
I still find it hard to quit Giant Bomb cold turkey. Something keeps pulling me back in and I'm not sure what it is exactly. Sure as hell isn't the quality of the content.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Noboru Wataya

brap

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2018
I still find it hard to quit Giant Bomb cold turkey. Something keeps pulling me back in and I'm not sure what it is exactly. Sure as hell isn't the quality of the content.
It's familiar. Same reason I still watch Game Informer's stupid Replay's after Tim and Dan left and Kyle got fired.

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
For me it’s this weird hope that one day they’ll simply just turn everything around.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve still bailed out of every West cast before it hits the hour mark and I haven’t listened to the Barney & Friends Safecast in years.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
I think I'm in an abusive relationship with Giant Bomb. They keep treating me like garbage but I can't stay away.

I may need a video game site abuse hot line or something.

TexMex

Aug 30, 2019
Didn’t he just get that dog? What happened?

also I’ve always thought he and rorie didn’t like each other, there has constantly been a weird tension there to me

Last edited:

Hudo

Jul 26, 2018
The vast majority of people are sane and normal. Unfortunately, the insane ones are the loudest online because the normal people are too busy actually living life. So, it skews the view to make it appear that batshit insane has taken over.
This sentence should be mandatory reading every time you open an internet related app/service because it's very easy to forget this after a while.

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
"I don't know why you even bother with that subreddit"

Holy shit... Some twitter snowflake is not content with the dictator level moderating on /r/giantbomb ? Take a random /r/giantbomb thread and run it through ceddit (replace "r" with "c") and you'll se how fucking North Korea that fucking sub is.
Really. I've checked it out a few times and the GB subreddit is kool aid drinker central. Everything GB does is great and no criticism except the most mild weak sauce stuff is allowed. If that upsets him, God forbid he takes a gander here, 4chan or anywhere else. He'd really see how bad it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghetto_Capitalist

rofif

Sep 13, 2019
Really. I've checked it out a few times and the GB subreddit is kool aid drinker central. Everything GB does is great and no criticism except the most mild weak sauce stuff is allowed. If that upsets him, God forbid he takes a gander here, 4chan or anywhere else. He'd really see how bad it is.
It's nuts. I've posted about gb banning me on there and they already assumed that I deserved it and even banned me from discord. wtf

Status
Not open for further replies.