Giant Bomb |OT1| The real Bomb shelter

Aug 30, 2018
Get out of here with that shit. This is why people hate us.
Thank you for that.

I've been following Giantbomb for a while and don't really feel as if they ever really get into the politics of a game...at least not that I can remember specifically that stands out to me. If anyone wants to point any discussions out, I'm wanting to hear that sort of talk from them and see what they have to say.

I kind of see them as a bunch of people who enjoy video games creating content and just critiquing games. There's a lot of tid bits of the more senior staffing talking about why they moved away from scores and other things that you folks may find interesting; they've even recently talked about when publishers send them things for review and they have to deal with calls from PR about a negative critique.

I see them calming down as a few issues folding into one:
They're getting older; you can't expect the senior staff to keep up that sort of energy forever.

They're calming down their shows; after Johnny V tweeting Dave Lang's phone number things kind of quieted a bit. I think Johnny V and the crews last appearance on late night E3 reflects that. Everyone was a lotttt more calm.

Likely pressure from CBSi to tone it down a bit, it's a bit of a smart move considering the current climate in multiple social areas

That being said, I think them hiring on this "millennial," staffing is a passing of the torch in a sense. They might stick with the people they have or maybe look for new people if it doesn't work out with trying to grow them with that brand.

P.S. All you peeps yelling about millennials sound like a bunch of crotechty old people ranting about young people lmao
"Back in my day, we (Insert something old school here) instead of (Insert something the youth does here)!"

I apologize if I offend anyone with that, I just always imagine a group of older people sitting around having a good time and just being confused by the youth, like every generation xD

Jun 3, 2013
Canada
Soo just like every other gbw video? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Their year end best of deliberations are such a chore, I stopped listening a few years ago as it seemed like they didn't even enjoy doing it. It's dumb to try and come up with a list of compromises anyway, what matters is the top ten from each person.

brap

Jan 9, 2018
Their year end best of deliberations are such a chore, I stopped listening a few years ago as it seemed like they didn't even enjoy doing it. It's dumb to try and come up with a list of compromises anyway, what matters is the top ten from each person.
I'm gonna listen because last year was such a shit show lmao. Hopefully Dabby didn't learn anything from last year

May 31, 2018
I think Abby will be the one pushing hardest for Read Dead 2 as game of the year. She's right.
RDR2 should not win Giant Bomb's game of the year award when Jeff fucking hates it and Dan was so soured on it eventually. Seems like only Brad and Alex truly love it.

That said, last year's list was a complete farce, mostly down to Abby not knowing how to make a valid point and Vinny pushing for Dream Daddy just so that she didn't feel left out. He has such a protective daddy complex with her, it's crazy. If Dan was pushing for Dream Daddy on his own it wouldn't have made the list. Mario Odyssey should've won and it shouldn't have even been a contest, not one person on the panel disliked that game.

bad

Nov 5, 2013
New York
Has there been a game that was universally loved by the GB staff this year? I would guess front runners for GOTY so far would be RDR2, Call of Duty Black Ops 4, or Tetris Effect.
Windjammers , nidhogg, and HITMAN.

Red dead 2 should not win goty (like mgsv shouldnt have won 3 years ago). But it will. I hope HITMAN 2 wins. At least that game feels better and is Consistently fun.

May 31, 2018
Has there been a game that was universally loved by the GB staff this year? I would guess front runners for GOTY so far would be RDR2, Call of Duty Black Ops 4, or Tetris Effect.
As I just said, Jeff hates RDR2 and Dan says he does, even though he played it for 70 hours. Jeff lasted 4. RDR2 isn't winning GOTY under any circumstances - Jeff's influence is the strongest, which means Black Ops 4 is going to get higher than it deserves by virtue of it being more Call of Duty.

Hitman 2 hasn't really blown anyone away. I'd say Dead Cells is in with a good shot at the top 3, but honestly the game I could see being a left-field winner is Celeste. That game is making top 3 without a shadow of a doubt.

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Best part of last years discussions was the shafting Horizon Zero Dawn got because of the recent reeee'ing about the cultural misappropriation with the outfits the characters wore. Yeah, cause I remember learning about Native Americans wearing bungee cord beaded necklaces and shoulder pads made of parts from a robotic cow.

Jun 10, 2018
Best part of last years discussions was the shafting Horizon Zero Dawn got because of the recent reeee'ing about the cultural misappropriation with the outfits the characters wore. Yeah, cause I remember learning about Native Americans wearing bungee cord beaded necklaces and shoulder pads made of parts from a robotic cow.
God, last years list was such a mess. So many good games were robbed of a chance.

I don’t think this year has been nearly as good in games as last year. I can’t imagine how the discussions will turn out.

Aug 9, 2015
God, last years list was such a mess. So many good games were robbed of a chance.

I don’t think this year has been nearly as good in games as last year. I can’t imagine how the discussions will turn out.
Let this sink in.... Dream Daddy was on the GB top 10 games of 2017, Persona 5 was not.

Fuck Giant Bomb, Fuck Abby, Fuck Dream Daddy, Fuck Ben's disgusting throat booger voice, also Fuck Giant Bomb again.

Jan 5, 2010
Listening to both Podcasts all year, I think the only one that they've all universally enjoyed are Tetris Effect and Hitman 2? Maybe Spiderman?

Remember that Hitman wasn't any of their GOTY during that year, but during the deliberations that was the one that they all agreed upon.

I'm really interested in seeing where Monster Hunter World falls on the list or if it makes the list. I feel somewhat confident that it's going to be Jason's GOTY and hell, Jeff put 30 hours into the game apparently.

Really hope they do another Hitsmas this year. Vinny's turn is still one of the top 10 pieces of content in GB history imo.

Mar 20, 2017
I still enjoy their podcasts. Way less than a couple years ago, but I still listen regularly.

But to be honest, outside of their E3 reaction videos I have stopped watching their video content altogether, outside of the extra life quiet man playthrough, simply cause I find most of it pretty boring nowadays, especially the quick looks.

And thank effing jeebus that, while I loved playing gow, spider-man and red dead redemption 2 this year, there isn‘t a single title this year that I loved as much as my 2 2017 GOTYs Horizon and Nier Automata.

Which means I won‘t have a horse in the race at this years goty deliberations podcast listening, and won‘t feel like I am being kicked in the nuts constantly by listening to Abby shitting on Nier etc.

Sep 25, 2015
Somewhere in space
So nice to not have beardy guy screaming fuck this fuck that fuck the world in here anymore :messenger_relieved:

I've found myself falling off GB in a big way lately. I'm thinking I'll stick around and see if things pick up in the new year, but boy did they ever get the short end of the stick from CBSI's web management with this site redesign. It looks like it was a case of "we gotta move you onto the new tech right now but we only have ten cents and some pocket fluff to do it with". I can't even find where the premium content is at...

Which means I won‘t have a horse in the race at this years goty deliberations podcast listening, and won‘t feel like I am being kicked in the nuts constantly by listening to Abby shitting on Nier etc.
Aye, last year's deliberations were legitimately painful to listen to. I wonder if it's going to be the same this year, or whether that stuff will be kept in check.

I wouldn't mind if she actually had solid arguments prepped to back up the various points, but the constant repetition of "but the cultural appropriation tho!" among other such surface-level takes was just noise.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2015
What’s wrong with it? Sincerely curious.
I just don't like the design, the main page now shows an entire screen covered with their most recent video. Although I quess its not a big deal cause if you scroll down a bit all the content is still there, i just preferred the more 'traditional' web design they used to have.