Giant Bomb |OT1| The real Bomb shelter

Mar 20, 2017
Oof. Just hitting the "women in GoW" stuff. At least Vinny is pushing back and being super reasonable. She's isn't harping on it for too long either, she just moved the conversation on to the other cool parts of the game. Last year was bad enough that I shut it off, but I can keep listening to this if that's as bad as it gets.
I agree. If it isn‘t gonna get worse, then I will be able to finish the deliberations this year without as much trouble as last years.

Mar 6, 2018
Finished day 1. I wish the conversation wasn't dominated so heavily by Abby, but she's describing things well. She's just doing so to the exclusion of other people's input at times. Could get tiring.

Oof. Just hitting the "women in GoW" stuff. At least Vinny is pushing back and being super reasonable. She's isn't harping on it for too long either, she just moved the conversation on to the other cool parts of the game. Last year was bad enough that I shut it off, but I can keep listening to this if that's as bad as it gets.

So wait, is she saying women in GoW are represented well, or that the game did a poor job with its female characters?

Jul 12, 2018
So wait, is she saying women in GoW are represented well, or that the game did a poor job with its female characters?
The latter. (I haven't played GoW, so this is just what I inferred) She was arguing against how the game handled the women in it (implying that she wanted more strong women that aren't murdered by men), with Vinny pushing back by pointing out the importance of the mom, and how the "mother sacrificing herself for her son" later in the game was in line with the themes of the game. I get where she's coming from, but this would be a non-issue if she wasn't already looking for "problematic" things.

The "I fucking do not care" comment mentioned on the last page was in reference to when the boy gets power and becomes obnoxious, not anything about feminism.

Vinny respectfully pushing back was extremely welcome. Letting her get on a soapbox was what ruined last year. She's free to think what she wants, but I want to hear what everyone else thinks as well.

Dec 5, 2008
Not a huge fan of the format so far. I've always enjoyed how on past GOTY podcasts they would always take time to mention and showcase good stuff throughout the year that maybe isn't good enough to top an award category, but distilling it altogether like this is a bit too much. I don't listen to every weekly podcast they do but I listen to enough to feel like I've heard so much of this before. I'm not really sure it's going to help in the long run of keeping the focus more "positive" this year, as I expect the same kinds of arguments as any other year to break out once the awards are up for grabs, but I'll save that reservation for those podcasts.

As for Abby, my biggest takeaway from today's discussion is that sometimes, if you know you're going to get backlash for something (and she clearly called it during the discussion), maybe - just maybe - take a step back and consider why that is. It would be incredibly easy to just claim people hate her because she's a woman (and I've seen plenty of people already rush to use this excuse), but sometimes it's a simple as you have a real bad fucking take on something. We all have, and sometimes you only realize that upon reflection. In this case, Abby's take was pretty fucking bad, and I don't even like God of War so I take no pleasure in defending it. She completely missed the point and the most obvious tell was that no one else at the table really went to bat for her over it, with Vinny doing a really admirable job of steering the discussion in a way that nether validated nor alienated Abby.

I've seen a number of people praising Abby for being so brave, and having the courage to give a unique perspective on the discussion that no one else could, but simply because you have a different perspective does not inherently make it valid or worth considering. Sometimes it's just really goddamn dumb.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2011
Titusville, Florida
Are they not doing any sort of writeup's on the daily stuff? The 'lets just point a camera, or record us talking about stuff in a nearly unformatted way' has caused me to drift away from GB so I haven't bothered with the deliberation podcasts for the past few years, do they really want us to put in 3 or 4 hours a day to find out what they liked as a group this year?

With how they do content these days (point a camera and just babble on for hours), i just feel like GB is just not for me anymore, which bums me out because I still like hearing Jeff, Vinny and Brad's takes on gaming, its just too tedious to sit through for me now days.

Dec 10, 2009
Not a huge fan of the format so far. I've always enjoyed how on past GOTY podcasts they would always take time to mention and showcase good stuff throughout the year that maybe isn't good enough to top an award category, but distilling it altogether like this is a bit too much. I don't listen to every weekly podcast they do but I listen to enough to feel like I've heard so much of this before. I'm not really sure it's going to help in the long run of keeping the focus more "positive" this year, as I expect the same kinds of arguments as any other year to break out once the awards are up for grabs, but I'll save that reservation for those podcasts.

As for Abby, my biggest takeaway from today's discussion is that sometimes, if you know you're going to get backlash for something (and she clearly called it during the discussion), maybe - just maybe - take a step back and consider why that is. It would be incredibly easy to just claim people hate her because she's a woman (and I've seen plenty of people already rush to use this excuse), but sometimes it's a simple as you have a real bad fucking take on something. We all have, and sometimes you only realize that upon reflection. In this case, Abby's take was pretty fucking bad, and I don't even like God of War so I take no pleasure in defending it. She completely missed the point and the most obvious tell was that no one else at the table really went to bat for her over it, with Vinny doing a really admirable job of steering the discussion in a way that nether validated nor alienated Abby.

I've seen a number of people praising Abby for being so brave, and having the courage to give a unique perspective on the discussion that no one else could, but simply because you have a different perspective does not inherently make it valid or worth considering. Sometimes it's just really goddamn dumb.
Your point on Abby's take on the GoW discussion at the beginning of the day 2 deliberation sums up what I fell as well. The hot take of this game relying on the trope of violence against women rang hollow to me. If the Valkyries were men in this game, she would have never made that point.

Last edited:

eot

Apr 13, 2012
I finished the day 2 podcast, and this format is not doing it for me. It's not really enjoyable when there are no stakes in the discussions, same as it's not enjoyable the years where people aren't willing to fight for their games.

Jul 8, 2011
Titusville, Florida
Despite my previous post, I gave the deliberations a chance and am enjoying it. I've been using the timestamps posted by someone in the comments to skip past things i just don't care about and have to admit this is fine. If they're just doing a list at the end then thats fine.

Noboru Wataya

Bored at work, horned up to the gills
Jul 8, 2016
Just watching the Super Mario Party Holiday stream and watching Dan & Drew together has made me smile/laugh to no end, I don't want the video to end. Jeff has a few funny responses and quips every now and then but it doesn't make up for how much of a wet blanket he and brad are being. It wouldn't hurt to laugh or smile at some of the stupidity going on around you. Shit, its like they are not even in the same room. The 'they are playing up to hating mario party' is no excuse. This is basically the state of things. I think its time Jeff and Brad left to be honest. Jeff can run the business from home and do his home streams/enjoy retro gaming, Brad can retire and do nothing, he wont be missed.

Mar 20, 2017
Without Brad and Jeff you are left with literally nothing on GBWest though. I like the other members, sometimes more, sometimes less, but they can‘t carry shit on their own if Jeff and Brad aren‘t in those shows.

Dec 5, 2008
Toronto
Just watching the Super Mario Party Holiday stream and watching Dan & Drew together has made me smile/laugh to no end, I don't want the video to end. Jeff has a few funny responses and quips every now and then but it doesn't make up for how much of a wet blanket he and brad are being. It wouldn't hurt to laugh or smile at some of the stupidity going on around you. Shit, its like they are not even in the same room. The 'they are playing up to hating mario party' is no excuse. This is basically the state of things. I think its time Jeff and Brad left to be honest. Jeff can run the business from home and do his home streams/enjoy retro gaming, Brad can retire and do nothing, he wont be missed.
Honestly, I like to think of GB as pre Ryan and post Ryan.

Dunno, Jeff and Brad seem a lot more cynical lately.

Mar 20, 2017
Problem this year especially when it comes to these deliberations is that Jeff doesn't care about most games and Brad has barely finished any. They basically phone it in the entire year when it comes to modern games coverage it seems. Also Jason is there but barely, lmao.

Mar 20, 2017
They should nominate the best soundtracks beforehand and make the entire crew listen to all of them before discussing it on the podcast. I know a big part of a good game soundtrack is listening to it while playing the game to get the full immersion and to see how it was meant to be enjoyed, but it would be still better than hearing 15 seconds of a song.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2017
I always felt that Abby would be a better fit for Waypoint. I mean she is basicaly femKlepek. And considering how quick Klepek and Austin jumped ship when presented with the opportunity, all Abby needs is an invite and I bet she is gone.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018
I always felt that Abby would be a better fit for Waypoint. I mean she is basicaly femKlepek. And considering how quick Klepek and Austin jumped ship when presented with the opportunity, all Abby needs is an invite and I bet she is gone.
Truth. Too bad east keeps inviting them on, it's like they're incapable of being genuine. Videos with them just turn into memes and twitter humor.

Mar 20, 2017
It's like they feel forced to hire people like Klepek or Austin, when they just don't fit into the gb crew at all. There are plenty of men and women out there who would be a better fit and still fill their diverse quota, so that ppl don't complain.

brap

Jan 9, 2018
Finally listening to the last day and not surprised at all Ben and Abby were exciting about fallout 4. Like smh tbh fam.

AV

Gold Member
May 31, 2018
  • AV

AV

Not sure if anyone's done this already, but I was curious, so I took a weighted average of their personal GOTY lists - the main 7, Jason doesn't count because he ultimately had zero input on the results. Looks like they were fairly close to what would have happened using this method, with 1 and 5 being correct, 2-4 interchangeable and 6-8 also interchangeable. Makes sense that DBZ and MH got in at the bottom rather than Destiny and Forza.

1. Tetris - 41

2. RDR2 - 35

3/4. God of War / Dead Cells - 34

5. Into the Breach - 26

6. Spider-Man - 25

7. Hitman 2 - 22

8. Obra Dinn - 21

9. Destiny 2 Forsaken - 14

10. Forza Horizon 4 - 11

Dec 24, 2018
I enjoyed the format but Abby was irritating me throughout. Nothing to do with being a woman...she's just irritating!

I might try a drinking game where I have to take a shot every time she says '...of course I didn't finish it, but I enjoyed my time with it'.

I'd be pissed in the first 30 minutes!

In fact, what is it with all these guys (apart from Ben) that none of them ever seems to be capable of finishing a game?

If my job was to talk about games, you better believe I'd be finishing over 100 games a year. At the moment I average about 50+ and that's with running a business and having 3 children! And I play some long ass games too.

I really wonder if they are truly qualified to hold court on the gaming industry at all.

Also, watch the guy in the back next to Brad, Jason I think it is....I swear he didn't talk for two hours on one of the shows....basically he's an oxygen thief!

Noboru Wataya

Bored at work, horned up to the gills
Jul 8, 2016
Abby has such a banshee screech when she blurts out on every single podcast, it’s actually doing my head in. I’m on day 5 of the GOTY podcast and it will be brad and vinny mulling over a game, nice relaxed, then out of fucking nowhere (usually interrupting) “I FEEEEEEEEL LIKEEEEEEE...”

I listen to these podcasts with headphones and holy good fuck, she hurts me physically.

Nothing against her as a person, but she seems to shout a lot and I don’t think Jan has her levels set correctly. Isn’t there a podcast app that cuts out dead air? The devs may be on to something...

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Yeah I had to stop listening because her voice is a fucking nightmare and puts the brakes on any sort of sensible debate or conversation going on.

Can someone just list what their top 10 list was please?

Also if you don’t finish a fucking game, your opinions of it should be considered near worthless. Abby going off about how cliche and predictable Spider Man was and the dumbass didn’t even complete it. Seriously what the fuck?

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Also, I joined Premium for a month just to check out what the deal is. The only stuff I’m interested in so far is Vinnyvania and Metal Gear Scanlon. Anything else on there worth watching that’s pre Abby and Ben?

bad

Nov 5, 2013
New York
Also, I joined Premium for a month just to check out what the deal is. The only stuff I’m interested in so far is Vinnyvania and Metal Gear Scanlon. Anything else on there worth watching that’s pre Abby and Ben?
I cant stand watching Dan on Metal Gear Scanlon. Bad backseating and misinformation. If that’s all you got premium for, why not just follow GB’s 24/7 stream on Twitch?

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
I cant stand watching Dan on Metal Gear Scanlon. Bad backseating and misinformation. If that’s all you got premium for, why not just follow GB’s 24/7 stream on Twitch?
Because I’d like to have control over what I’m watching and I don’t do the Twitch thing.

bad

Nov 5, 2013
New York
Because I’d like to have control over what I’m watching and I don’t do the Twitch thing.
The mario party series is good, “the tapes” retrospective is good, the mario maker shows and all the hitman stuff.
You can check out the Shenmue, Persona, and Dark Souls endurence runs as well.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2005
Hey, NeoGAF people talking Giant Bomb! I was a yearly subscriber to GB from the very beginning until choosing to not renew my subscription shortly after Drew Scanlon left. I kept up with them basically that whole time - almost every Bombcast, most quick looks, EOY pods, etc. To be honest I haven't been thrilled with the direction of the site since Ryan passed. But I have really enjoyed what Dan had brought to the line-up; made it kind of fun again, you know. I think Metal Gear Scanlon was the last thing on GB that I paid attention to. Actually, no, I did enjoy their PUBG videos. That's about it. I do listen to All Systems Goku, which is fun, but has little to do with video games.

So, can someone catch me up on what has happened at Giant Bomb in the last two years? What did Drew go on to do (other than becoming a meme)? Is there still an "East" and "West" studio? What's the difference now between them if so? What has changed?

Thanks in advance for the updates. I just had another kid this year so I haven't had a lot of time to stay up on this stuff. But I was there from the very beginning (Arrow Pointing Down!), so I feel compelled to know how it has been going lately.

AV

Gold Member
May 31, 2018
  • AV

AV

So, can someone catch me up on what has happened at Giant Bomb in the last two years? What did Drew go on to do (other than becoming a meme)? Is there still an "East" and "West" studio? What's the difference now between them if so? What has changed?

Thanks in advance for the updates. I just had another kid this year so I haven't had a lot of time to stay up on this stuff. But I was there from the very beginning (Arrow Pointing Down!), so I feel compelled to know how it has been going lately.
Drew started up Cloth Map, his Patreon series where he travels the world through the lens of video gaming. Fantastic content from a great guy, can't say enough good things about it. https://www.patreon.com/clothmap

There's still two studios, they still do the Bombcast and Beastcast. They hired Ben and Jan (nu-Drew) in the west and Abby in the east. The site got redesigned (badly).

It's sadly not as good as when Drew was around, but still decent.

Jan 16, 2019
Every Random PC Game episode. :messenger_fire:

A lot of people rightfully talking about how the site went downhill after Ryan Davis passed away, splitting the team killed a lot of the magic and the departure of Drew Scanlon kinda felt like the final nail to some. But let's not forget co-founder and webmaster extraodinaire Dave Snider leaving GB in 2013. I felt that he brought an awesome mellow 90s PC gamer vibe to the group and his position as co-founder allowed him to pretty much say what he wanted.