• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT1| The real Bomb shelter

Status
Not open for further replies.

eot

Apr 13, 2012
Is the beastcast premium only now?

I don't really care because I bought premium for the Mass Effect series, and I don't like the beastcast, but I'm just curious

brap

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Is the beastcast premium only now?

I don't really care because I bought premium for the Mass Effect series, and I don't like the beastcast, but I'm just curious
lmao wow. They're locking more stuff behind premium because it's obvious they're losing subs and need to keep them somehow. Can't put effort in their work just gotta lock more stuff behind a paywall!

eot

Apr 13, 2012
lmao wow. They're locking more stuff behind premium because it's obvious they're losing subs and need to keep them somehow. Can't put effort in their work just gotta lock more stuff behind a paywall!
Nah there is a free version turns out, it's just really obscured in the new site redesign.

eot

Apr 13, 2012
Watching these guys play games sometimes is just... Alex started ME2 as a Sentinel, they read the description of Tech Armor and conclude it's a passive ability (how?). Then he activates it by mistake, more than once, without really noticing it (despite it having a super obvious visual effect), or realizing it's an active ability. Is it a playing in front of the camera thing? I just don't get it.

bad

Nov 5, 2013
New York
Watching these guys play games sometimes is just... Alex started ME2 as a Sentinel, they read the description of Tech Armor and conclude it's a passive ability (how?). Then he activates it by mistake, more than once, without really noticing it (despite it having a super obvious visual effect), or realizing it's an active ability. Is it a playing in front of the camera thing? I just don't get it.
That’s cause Alex is terrible at playing games that arent based off drumming mechanics. His anxiety gets the best of him.

bad

Nov 5, 2013
New York
I think that All Systems Goku needs to end and replaced with the Jeff & Dan podcast. And Dan knows shit about Metal Gear.

eot

Apr 13, 2012
I'm pretty negative on GB lately, I've realized I don't like Ben in their shows. I started noticing when Jeff wasn't on the bombcast for two weeks and the show was pure misery. I didn't always like what Patrick or Austin brought to GB, but they at least brought something, which is more than I can say for some other people.

Noboru Wataya

Bored at work, horned up to the gills
Jul 8, 2016
Northern Ireland, UK
I wonder how the subscriber numbers have been. I reluctantly pay to keep up with shows I like, such as die another Friday and.... ummm... I’m sure they will make something. Dan is the star of the site at the moment (and I hated him once). The rest are phoning it in and lazy as fuck. It seems like it’s just become too much of a routine. Shake it up, time for a reset. You tubers are doing a much better job for 0 dollars.

Remember when they used to get drunk, throw random parties, have exciting guests, have dodgy ex quicklooks, threw up random videos for the sake of it, and review bullshit import/motion control games. stupid shit was their forte. They are all past their prime, and unfortunately their gaming knowledge and skill isn’t strong enough to carry them.

They have a retro library of thousands of games to go back to and really make great content with. Keeping up with the latest aaa game and the latest indie is all well and good, but fuck me man, this gens games are boring rote shit in the grand scheme of things and it’s reflected in their coverage. I care not one bit what GB thinks of anthem, or the latest farming indie sim. Especially when they don’t care either.

But this is all just how I feel. For all I know they are knocking it out of the park with kids today. *grumble*

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I wonder how the subscriber numbers have been. I reluctantly pay to keep up with shows I like, such as die another Friday and.... ummm... I’m sure they will make something. Dan is the star of the site at the moment (and I hated him once). The rest are phoning it in and lazy as fuck. It seems like it’s just become too much of a routine. Shake it up, time for a reset. You tubers are doing a much better job for 0 dollars.

Remember when they used to get drunk, throw random parties, have exciting guests, have dodgy ex quicklooks, threw up random videos for the sake of it, and review bullshit import/motion control games. stupid shit was their forte. They are all past their prime, and unfortunately their gaming knowledge and skill isn’t strong enough to carry them.

They have a retro library of thousands of games to go back to and really make great content with. Keeping up with the latest aaa game and the latest indie is all well and good, but fuck me man, this gens games are boring rote shit in the grand scheme of things and it’s reflected in their coverage. I care not one bit what GB thinks of anthem, or the latest farming indie sim. Especially when they don’t care either.

But this is all just how I feel. For all I know they are knocking it out of the park with kids today. *grumble*
Last UPF I watched was months ago when the got the new set LMAO. It's like CBS told them they couldn't be comfy anymore and had to use the stupid news desks. With all the advertising on the GOTY stuff I would guess the numbers aren't too hot. And how many people want to watch a bunch of middle aged guys with 0 enthusiasm that seem like they'd rather be watching paint dry? And where the fuck are all the mailbags? Too lazy? Nobody sends them anything anymore? I kinda just want the site to die so I can watch Jeff stream old games and Dan do whatever stupid bullshit.

Noboru Wataya

Jul 8, 2016
Northern Ireland, UK
Last UPF I watched was months ago when the got the new set LMAO. It's like CBS told them they couldn't be comfy anymore and had to use the stupid news desks. With all the advertising on the GOTY stuff I would guess the numbers aren't too hot. And how many people want to watch a bunch of middle aged guys with 0 enthusiasm that seem like they'd rather be watching paint dry? And where the fuck are all the mailbags? Too lazy? Nobody sends them anything anymore? I kinda just want the site to die so I can watch Jeff stream old games and Dan do whatever stupid bullshit.
Yup, the last time I seen Jeff pumped about any content was when he was playing the fucking Garfield games. The current setup isn’t working for the crew and it’s obvious. I don’t think they know what the people want, or they don’t care for an easy life. You think the CBS fingers have more control than they let on? Would explain a lot.

brap

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Yup, the last time I seen Jeff pumped about any content was when he was playing the fucking Garfield games. The current setup isn’t working for the crew and it’s obvious. I don’t think they know what the people want, or they don’t care for an easy life. You think the CBS fingers have more control than they let on? Would explain a lot.
I think it's a combo of their die hard fans never unsubbing and CBS. CBS has got to be punishing them or something. They went from a big open area with a couch and a PC to some fucking desks in a closet. This looks like the most uncomfortable thing ever. And who the hell is that dude next to Jason? New hire?

Jun 10, 2018

For all I know they are knocking it out of the park with kids today. *grumble*
I just recently unsubscribed. I have been a member since the second year you could sub. The west coast just feels like they are burnt out. Only Jan and Jason sound like they still enjoy the games they play. Ben actively drives me away from content. I was excited for the Jump Force QL, but it was a horrible, cringy, drag with Ben at the helm.

I still enjoy Vinnie and Dan, but not enough to continue paying anymore.

Manus

Jan 12, 2009
They also seem to have to many people on video content too. I can't watch a quick look now without three or more people on it. Let alone a quick look from the east crew that always has Abby on it ugh.

Last edited:

BibleBLACKED

Mar 20, 2017
The new desk setup looks more like the kinda funny proffessional looking shit than the comfy couch setting. I really don't like it.

Guynamedbilly

Feb 28, 2018
They seriously need to take Brad off hosting duties entirely. The only time the bombcast has any life is when Jeff takes over. The quick looks he drives are so slow and boring because he constantly has to repeat parts because of his anxiety. I just skip over any time he is playing whether on quick looks or UPF.

I'm skipping so much is doesn't make sense to pay any more. The Beastcast is entertaining in small doses but Vinny gets tangled up in the minutae of every little thing and explaining the backstory behind everything that's said. I don't know, but it feels bad man.

brap

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Is Ben contractually obligated to be on every fucking west coast ql? Jesus fucking christ...

brap

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I briefly glanced at the DMC5 one and he is absent :messenger_fistbump:
Really? I only watch their stuff on youtube and the description says "Jason Oestreicher and Ben Pack hop in the van and take a quick ride through DMC5." So I never bothered with it lol.

Dunki

Oct 24, 2017

They could have had a Yakuza Series playthrough for hundreds of hours and they totally failed. No Alex has played through many of them on his own.

Well since All Systems Goku has now ended for at least a few months there is no real reason to visit the site anymore.

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Really? I only watch their stuff on youtube and the description says "Jason Oestreicher and Ben Pack hop in the van and take a quick ride through DMC5." So I never bothered with it lol.
Really? I mean granted I watched only about eight minutes but all I heard was Brad, Jason and Jan

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
They could have had a Yakuza Series playthrough for hundreds of hours and they totally failed. No Alex has played through many of them on his own.

Well since All Systems Goku has now ended for at least a few months there is no real reason to visit the site anymore.
It's cool they're doing a Mass Effect trilogy playthrough.

Too bad I don't want to watch Alex play anything let alone hear him talking.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Really? I mean granted I watched only about eight minutes but all I heard was Brad, Jason and Jan
They probably messed up then since Brad and Jan aren't mentioned in the youtube upload. I'll give them a break though. They're still recovering from PAX and E3.

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying:

Noboru Wataya

Jul 8, 2016
Northern Ireland, UK
It's cool they're doing a Mass Effect trilogy playthrough.

He is a contemptible prick. When he went on the 8chan rant on the podcast, I could tell the crew shared my pain. He has got a little better over the years, especially now he doesn’t laugh at after every failed attempt at humour. But he will always be that monotone edge lord everyone knew at school.

Last edited:

ArchdukeChocula

Neo Member
Jul 12, 2018
Finally removed the podcasts from my tracker app. Jeff/Ben playing off eachother about 8chan was too cringey.

bad

Nov 5, 2013
New York

You mean All Systems Goldberg. It started to become a wrestling podcast after awhile.

Meccs

Nov 29, 2013
Finally removed the podcasts from my tracker app. Jeff/Ben playing off eachother about 8chan was too cringey.
Most of the stuff feels so forced and goes on for way too long. Almost like "we HAVE TO be outraged and make sure people understand that we are". And you notice that they don't really know what the fuck they are talking about. It's like they read something on Kotaku and that is their only source.

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
He is a contemptible prick. When he went on the 8chan rant on the podcast, I could tell the crew shared my pain. He has got a little better over the years, especially now he doesn’t laugh at after every failed attempt at humour. But he will always be that monotone edge lord everyone knew at school.
Good thing I missed that one. I haven't listened to a Beastcast episode since Abby joined, killed off any sort off chemistry and turned it into the Barney and Friends Safezone Podcast. Vinny is a lot to blame too. He's a complete shell of his former self. Guess that's what having kids does to some people. Either that or its just another example of Abby's presence gumming up the works.

Last edited:

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Most of the stuff feels so forced and goes on for way too long. Almost like "we HAVE TO be outraged and make sure people understand that we are". And you notice that they don't really know what the fuck they are talking about. It's like they read something on Kotaku and that is their only source.
Part and parcel with them nowadays. I get the feeling that folks over at places like ReeeEra are their main fanbase so they HAVE to be outraged about this sort of drivel or else suffer the consequences.

Aug 24, 2012
I wish they'd stop messing around with the Goldeneye schedule. It's the only content of theirs I give a fuck about currently (Mass Alex is boring).

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
I’ve never been one of the uber sycophants or a subscriber, but I’ve enjoyed the GB podcasts for many years.

Just a thought though.

I obviously have no evidence, but my gut feeling is that they are haemorrhaging subs. Like I said in another thread, their pleading for subscribers before, during and after podcasts lately is getting to “I’ll suck your dick” territory.

If I’m right, turns out gamers don’t want to listen to an emo, a past-it dudebro, a boring nothing, a checklist dumb fuck and a gigantic cuck nerd you wouldn’t associate with in real life. Who knew?

Dan is the only redeeming feature and he has been neutered by the spastic misdirection they have chosen. Glad I never gave them a red cent.

Get woke, go broke.

Rant over.

Meccs

Nov 29, 2013
It's just old dudes (I am the same age) with gaming fatigue. They can not keep up with the high energy kids on Youtube or Twitch. They don't like most trendy and popular games (Red Dead 2) or are really bad playing them (Apex). Their recent additions were poor (Ben seems to be the same grumpy type and Abby didn't really play video games before she joined). So they added the same type of people they already have at GB. No one is really excited about video games anymore. It's just "back in my day gaming was better" all the time and while this may be even true, it doesn't flow with younger listeners.
The problem is most likely that most of their subs are older gamers, there isn't much new blood coming to their site. Which means many people unsub and no one new replaces them. I unsubbed a while ago too. I liked some of the east coast Playdates but the Friday show was such a drag for the most part and the other stuff wasn't worth my time and money so I unsubbed. I still listen to the east coast podcast because I like Vinny and sometimes to the west coast but only for a few minutes. I am not a big fan of Dan but I appreciate what he brings to the team. He is one of the few people still excited about games, if sometimes for the wrong reasons lol

Last edited:

Manus

Jan 12, 2009
Yeah I've been unsubbed for so long now. I only watch very old content anymore nowadays. The only new hire I even like is Jan but he's on so little content. He really should be swapped with Jason on the podcast since Jason says all of three sentences in two hours.

BlazinAm

Mar 11, 2012
www.twitch.tv
Looking around the Giant Bomb website and some of their footage, it looks like the gang has fallen behind the Kinda Funny crew. The problem is that the Kinda Funny people have their audience and those people are literal influencers. To me it looks like that the crew is lost between being hype men for gaming products and playing the informal journalist outlet, they kinda just come off as dated in the whole gaming coverage sphere.

No Word Count

Sep 5, 2018
Ireland
www.twitch.tv
Looking around the Giant Bomb website and some of their footage, it looks like the gang has fallen behind the Kinda Funny crew. The problem is that the Kinda Funny people have their audience and those people are literal influencers. To me it looks like that the crew is lost between being hype men for gaming products and playing the informal journalist outlet, they kinda just come off as dated in the whole gaming coverage sphere.
Giant Bomb hasn't been relevant in years.

The Internet has radically changed in the last half a decade, and the idea of visiting websites for more than the quick read of some news has long gone out of fashion. They have nothing to draw people in.

Gerstman's hook of being some sort of slighted "little man" journalist has also long since run its course.

Last edited:

Manus

Jan 12, 2009
I still can't get over how bad the site redesign is. You can't tell the difference in their website from Game Informer, Gamespot, and IGN. They all look the same. I've gotten to the point where I only watch their videos on Youtube.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I still can't get over how bad the site redesign is. You can't tell the difference in their website from Game Informer, Gamespot, and IGN. They all look the same.
All that empty space and the search is fucking horrible. Last time I needed to find something on there google was faster. It's useless.

DangerStepp

Sep 14, 2007
I take no pleasure in admitting that the podcasts produce more sighs and eyerolls than they do joy anymore.

My subscription lapsed without my realizing it, if that tells you anything, and the only reason I see myself re-subscribing would be in a fit of nostalgia for the glory days (2008-2013). It's just a bummer all around. I could critique some things that have changed over the years but there's no point.

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Been listening to some random 2011 episodes

Jesus christ what a difference. Hell even Klecuck is tolerable.

Manus

Jan 12, 2009
Been listening to some random 2011 episodes

Jesus christ what a difference. Hell even Klecuck is tolerable.
Yeah they were great. It's the only stuff I listen to from them anymore. I just miss how random everything they did was.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.