• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT1| The real Bomb shelter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Tickles

Formerly 'MrTickles'
Feb 22, 2018
China
Damn, Dan looks dead inside in recent podcasts. His eyes are literally a void. What a terrible, sorry fate Giant Bomb has been met with.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Damn, Dan looks dead inside in recent podcasts. His eyes are literally a void. What a terrible, sorry fate Giant Bomb has been met with.
Yeah, he needs to jettison GB like a dead weight for the sake of his career and sanity. If he did a simple podcast talking about old stories and his daily life, it’d probably get more subscribers than GB.

brap

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2018
I really want him to leave soon. Everybody at GB is a soulless husk these days and Dan deserves better.

Jan 10, 2017
What is going on over there? GB used to be amazing. Are they just getting hammered by "current year" and token hires?

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
Jan 30, 2018
What is going on over there? GB used to be amazing. Are they just getting hammered by "current year" and token hires?
Since Ryan sadly passed away, they kept hiring more and more horrid employees and let them run amok.

Blue_Barry

Jun 3, 2012
The conversation they had on the podcast about Borderlands 3 was so..... weird. Most of the points they made, were nonsensical and smacked of people who were tired and completely apathetic.

I've been listening to the guys Gamespot and since Jeff and Ryan started the website originally. But really struggling to stay excited for content anymore, they really are turning into a miserable bunch.

Blue_Barry

Jun 3, 2012
was it about the cover or the epic store exclusive?
No, basically Jeff and Brad rambling on about how it should be more like an MMO - rather than be Borderlands. They seem perplexed by the idea that people enjoyed the characters and storyline aspect to it.

They just seem very out of touch to be honest.

Dunki

Oct 24, 2017
No, basically Jeff and Brad rambling on about how it should be more like an MMO - rather than be Borderlands. They seem perplexed by the idea that people enjoyed the characters and storyline aspect to it.

They would be the first not liking it because it is a MMO. WTF. Jeff never really liked MMO like games.

Shifty

Sep 25, 2015
the planet Thra

It seems like an odd stance to take. I remember there being some hype and speculation about it going the Destiny route after Gearbox trademarked 'Borderworlds', but if anything it's refreshing to see them stick to their guns and not crater the franchise in an attempt to chase the GaaS dragon...

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Personally, I’m getting sick and tired how they gleefully go about character assassinating someone in the games industry whilst on their high horse.

The last few weeks it’s been Randy Pitchford. Previously it’s been David Cage. It’s always someone. They seem to revel in it. It’s disgusting, honestly. So fucking unprofessional. They literally call for the person to be cast aside by the industry in both of the above cases.

The arrogance. These revolting, pudgy miserable cunts can seriously fuck off with this shit.

brap

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2018
>when you wanna watch a gb ql then forget they're all fucking idiots and virtue signalers

Dan hurry up and get another job

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
That whole month of Bombcasts during the WiiU launch were fucking great. Really good stories and discussion about Nintendo at that time with everyone realizing within the first week of launch that the thing was a dud.

Ryan, Jeff, Brad, Vinny and Patrick were the best combo

Last edited:

brap

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2018
I love how Jeff got mad at an enemy in a game on his newest home stream and called them a fascist LOL. I always knew Jeff was on the right side of history!

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Jeff Gerstmann makes me laugh.

Zelda: BotW - meh
Mario Odyssey - Meh
Metal Gear Solid - meh
etc, etc ad nauseum.

And yet he dribbles for an hour like a giddy school girl about Call of Duty and Mortal Kombat et al. Waxes lyrical about how they’re the greatest games ever.

When you look up “dudebro” on Google, his picture should be front and centre.

It tickles me pink when people defend him as some fount of gaming knowledge.

He’s an immature manchild that never grew up.

Truth.

AV

Gold Member
May 31, 2018
Leeds, UK

Mario Odyssey - Meh
Metal Gear Solid - meh
etc, etc ad nauseum.

And yet he dribbles for an hour like a giddy school girl about Call of Duty and Mortal Kombat et al. Waxes lyrical about how they’re the greatest games ever.
The big one you're missing is RDR2. I actually find it kinda refreshing to have someone who doesn't always automatically like things that are popular with most people. He's clearly not being a contrarian thanks to his love of certain popular franchises like COD, he just likes what he likes. Even though I greatly disagree with him on plenty of things it's good to not just have a circle-jerk of people agreeing on everything all the time. At least Jeff actually plays the games he bashes; Abby seems more and more to actively dislike games she's barely touched.

Also to claim that Gerstmann isn't incredibly knowledgeable about video games as a whole is kinda disingenuous just because he doesn't like some popular games.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Also to claim that Gerstmann isn't incredibly knowledgeable about video games as a whole is kinda disingenuous just because he doesn't like some popular games.
fount
/faʊnt/
noun
  1. 1.
    a source of a desirable quality or commodity.

Last edited:

bad

Nov 5, 2013
New York

Mario Odyssey - Meh
Metal Gear Solid - meh
etc, etc ad nauseum.

Truth.
He wasn’t “meh” about mgs. He felt it there wasn’t enough “game” compared to story. He really enjoyed MGS4 oddly enough, and mgs2 is his favorite metal gear.

I think what people forget is that Jeff has played A LOT of games and he’s jadded and a cynic. I’m glad he’s around, it’s a different and refreshing persective.

Oct 14, 2010
Die Another Friday and All Systems Goku are basically the only things the site has produced, recently, that I enjoy. The current crew just doesn't have the comedic chemistry that the golden era did. Which is to be expected because the original chemistry came about through years of genuine friendship and shared sensibility.

Abby is really mixed in terms of output (she can be entertaining, though) and Ben is a personality black hole. Of course the culture war BS has degraded the site as well. Less so than other sites but it's a factor nonetheless. I remember Jeff rolling his eyes at the Dragon's Crown "controversy" back in the day. Nowadays similar "controversies" prompt orthodox virtue signaling. But the biggest thing is just that the current crew is incapable of producing the same kind of spontaneous hilarity that Jeff, Brad, Vinny, Drew and Ryan were on a daily basis.

GBE had a good thing going for a while but even they're on a major decline. I hope they do some more weird-ass adventure games soon. Those streams are still fun. The Total Distortion stream they did months ago was awesome. They should play Normality or something.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Nymphae and brap

brap

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2018

Mario Odyssey - Meh
Metal Gear Solid - meh
etc, etc ad nauseum.

Truth.
He also loves Horizon for some reason. *cut to that part in the GOTY podcast where jeff reads the name off and jason literally shouts DAT CULTURAL APPROPRIATION DOE*
Jeff honestly has shit taste. Look at him jizz his pants about shitty old C64 games that are basically obscure unplayable garbage in this day and age.

GBE had a good thing going for a while but even they're on a major decline. I hope they do some more weird-ass adventure games soon. Those streams are still fun. The Total Distortion stream they did months ago was awesome. They should play Normality or something.
I feel like once abby joined they stopped with the FMV adventure games. I guess alex got too triggered and they felt abby would be even worse. Really sucks.

Aug 24, 2012
It feels like Ben takes up about 70% of GB video content these days. I'm just gonna let my subscription laps this time around. I've played and immediately closed waaaay too many of their vids this year to make the fee worth it. It literally feels like a waste of money at this point.

Manus

Jan 12, 2009
It feels like Ben takes up about 70% of GB video content these days. I'm just gonna let my subscription laps this time around. I've played and immediately closed waaaay too many of their vids this year to make the fee worth it. It literally feels like a waste of money at this point.
Yeah like what happened to their two man quick looks? I couldn't remember the last time it was just Brad and Jeff on a quick look.

brap

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2018
Free episode and GB premium sale guys! Only 35 buckeroos to watch GBE have fun and GBW act like they just got done eating thanksgiving dinner before every video! Also Ben is in every video now as well!

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Free episode and GB premium sale guys! Only 35 buckeroos to watch GBE have fun and GBW act like they just got done eating thanksgiving dinner before every video! Also Ben is in every video now as well!
Hmmm...nah. I’d rather buy a pack of Aussie cigarettes for $45. I get more positives from cigarettes.

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
So having been enjoying Days Gone a bunch I decided to check out the QL since Vinny was doing it (alongside Abby and Alex unfortunately) and he seemed to have been really liking it and even said as much.

Fast forward to the following day with the Beastcast episode and Austin Walker was a guest. Now Waypoint was clearly not a fan of this game due to the "slavery themes" and the White Protagonist and I guess this bullshit came up when they decided to talk about the game and......suddenly Vinny doesn't like it anymore? This is like less than 24 hours later. Absolute fucking bullshit and further proof how spineless these people are. What, I guess Vinny was legit afraid to debate Big Scary Austin? Did he think he'd get bullied out of the internet and his job if he said he was actively enjoying what he was playing? I just don't fucking get it anymore with these people.

Last edited:

bad

Nov 5, 2013
New York
So having been enjoying Days Gone a bunch I decided to check out the QL since Vinny was doing it (alongside Abby and Alex unfortunately) and he seemed to have been really liking it and even said as much.

Fast forward to the following day with the Beastcast episode and Austin Walker was a guest. Now Waypoint was clearly not a fan of this game due to the "slavery themes" and the White Protagonist and I guess this bullshit came up when they decided to talk about the game and......suddenly Vinny doesn't like it anymore? This is like less than 24 hours later. Absolute fucking bullshit and further proof how spineless these people are. What, I guess Vinny was legit afraid to debate Big Scary Austin? Did he think he'd get bullied out of the internet and his job if he said he was actively enjoying what he was playing? I just don't fucking get it anymore with these people.
I agree, in the QL, he obviously enjoyed what he played. To be fair, I don’t know when the quicklook was filmed.

brap

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2018

Yet another reason why GB is unwatchable. 3 person ql's are trash.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Anyone else notice the desperate subscriber ad by Gerstmann during the normal allotted space for real ads during the Bombcast?

It’s not “I’ll suck your dick” territory anymore, we’ve now reached the “OMG, she let me stick it in her arse!” realm.

Well, that’s just my impression anyway...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:LOL:

Reactions: VedderOA

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Sorry to double post, but the funny just keeps coming.

So, just when I thought Ben couldn’t be anymore of a dweeb, he goes and tells the story of how he and his equally dweebalicious friends were hanging out at a bar on the weekend. There were a couple of dudes playing music in the corner for a while and when they finish playing, one of them approaches Ben’s table (of nerds in a bar talking about Smash Bros) and shakes them down for some money. Like: “You’ve been listening to us play music for an hour, so give me some money”...and they GIVE IT TO HIM!

I mean, I’m not sure if he thought this story was cute, funny or interesting. He definitely seemed to think this was normal. All he achieved was displaying how much of a socially awkward dork he is.

Wow.

brap

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2018
Sorry to double post, but the funny just keeps coming.

So, just when I thought Ben couldn’t be anymore of a dweeb, he goes and tells the story of how he and his equally dweebalicious friends were hanging out at a bar on the weekend. There were a couple of dudes playing music in the corner for a while and when they finish playing, one of them approaches Ben’s table (of nerds in a bar talking about Smash Bros) and shakes them down for some money. Like: “You’ve been listening to us play music for an hour, so give me some money”...and they GIVE IT TO HIM!

I mean, I’m not sure if he thought this story was cute, funny or interesting. He definitely seemed to think this was normal. All he achieved was displaying how much of a socially awkward dork he is.

Wow.
He's just being a good liberal sweetie.

DangerStepp

Sep 14, 2007
Yet another reason why GB is unwatchable. 3 person ql's are trash.
Well you're in luck as the Days Gone QL has four people: Mike Mahardy, Vinny, Alex and Abby

I found it a little unnecessary as the usual suspects were fumbling to force the funny every chance they were given.

Just having Mahardy and Vinny would have been enough.

• Triggered
Reactions: VedderOA and brap

brap

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2018
They're talking over this because they know it's only gonna be like 10 mins right?

Jan 10, 2017

To be fair, I'm sure that's exactly what he thought.

Have you guys noticed how Jeff is barely around these days?
I would barely be around if I was Jeff, too.

It was a completely watchable stream. Turns out without Ben, Giant Bomb west can be okay.

Ben is the cancer killing that site.
I'm sure Ben is a nice guy but I just can't stand to listen to him talk. I do like him much more than Austin Walker though. I stopped listening to GB because of that guy.

Reactions: DangerStepp

brap

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2018
>mario stream without dan and jeff
>brad, rorie and ben
>not even 45 mins long
GB :messenger_clapping: ISNT :messenger_clapping: DYING :messenger_clapping:

Also remember to sub!

Status
Not open for further replies.