• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT1| The real Bomb shelter

brap

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Every time Ben refers to his girlfriend as his partner, a baby gets Spina bifida.
Have you seen her? Definitely looks like one of those people that would say they're non binary or some shit. She's a woman and idk what she identifies as.

Reactions: KingMoron

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Every time Ben refers to his girlfriend as his partner, a baby gets Spina bifida.
Every time he purposely pronounces the letter ‘A’ in the singular with his marble mouth, a bit of my brain dies.

“I played a (sound: ‘uh’) game this week, Brad.”

Last edited:
Reactions: KingMoron

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Remember when a Giant Bomb email section was one of the best parts of the podcasts and something to look forward to? Hilarity, anecdotes etc?

And then remember when Vinny decided to give email duty to some unfunny, obnoxious new hire and ended up with emails like:

What was your first cell phone?

and

This question is for Abby: What is your favourite Bjork song?

Yeah.

But don’t forget to sub. Please sub! (Why are they not subbing?!)” - Giant Bomb 2019

brap

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Remember when a Giant Bomb email section was one of the best parts of the podcasts and something to look forward to? Hilarity, anecdotes etc?

And then remember when Vinny decided to give email duty to some unfunny, obnoxious new hire and ended up with emails like:

and

Yeah.

But don’t forget to sub. Please sub! (Why are they not subbing?!)” - Giant Bomb 2019
>is a hotdog a sandwich

• LOL
Reactions: Scopa

brap

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I don't watch GB anymore but I'll be watching their E3. Anybody else? E3 is boring to watch alone.

brap

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Can’t say I will. The last thing I want is Ben and Abby squawking over a game reveal.
They were quarantined last time. Well maybe ben wasn't. Abby was in the back with jason and vinny because she couldn't do her job on her own. If she's there though I'm not even gonna bother. I can handle ben this one time of year but not Mrs. Abby 'I only play indie games made by my liberal friends, nancy drew and the complain about how AAA games aren't feminist enough' Russell. Plus it's fun shitposting on /v/ about it.

SamFo

Neo Member
May 13, 2015

and

Yeah.

Someone should try and find the clip on the call in show from a few weeks ago. Where they spend two minutes trying to take a call from Pat Baer (does anyone find that guys sense of humour to be funny?) but due to connection issues it takes ages. He finally gets through and asks “what is your favourite breakfast food to eat, not at breakfast”

• Triggered
  • LOL
Reactions: brap and Scopa

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Someone should try and find the clip on the call in show from a few weeks ago. Where they spend two minutes trying to take a call from Pat Baer (does anyone find that guys sense of humour to be funny?) but due to connection issues it takes ages. He finally gets through and asks “what is your favourite breakfast food to eat, not at breakfast”
I’ve never listened to the aftershow, but I can believe it.

I distinctly remember a few years back, when the email section was fucking insanely funny. Listener wars, weird stories, etc. It was essential listening. Peak Giant Bomb. And then Jeff and Brad for some buttfuck braindead reason, made a statement on the show that they are not going to do emails like that anymore.

Like, wtf?! At the peak of your popularity, you decide to stop doing one of the things that you are infamous for and replace it with drudgery and retarded millenial humour. Good business move.

Jan 10, 2017
I’ve never listened to the aftershow, but I can believe it.

I distinctly remember a few years back, when the email section was fucking insanely funny. Listener wars, weird stories, etc. It was essential listening. Peak Giant Bomb. And then Jeff and Brad for some buttfuck braindead reason, made a statement on the show that they are not going to do emails like that anymore.

Like, wtf?! At the peak of your popularity, you decide to stop doing one of the things that you are infamous for and replace it with drudgery and retarded millenial humour. Good business move.
I remember they used to spend forever at the beginning of each show just talking about random crap, telling old stories, and just jacking around for awhile. I really enjoyed that but they axed it too.

Reactions: Scopa

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Only listened to the aftershow once and they both sounded so awkward when talking to the people calling in. Jeff sounded a hair away from using a "radio guy" voice.

SamFo

Neo Member
May 13, 2015
Wasn’t the title this week supposed to be ‘Build It Like Blevins’?

Shows up on my iTunes as ‘Bend it Like Blevins’ - meh, it’s not a massive deal, but for someone who feels like the Giant Bomb staff just don’t care anymore.. it’s just one of those little things...

nonesuch

Neo Member
May 11, 2019
there's also the new upgrade video - which did need updating - done by abby. if you couldn't tell. abby. abby russell. the one in all the clips.

abby

ABBY.

also the new "news desk" sucks shit.

Last edited:

SamFo

Neo Member
May 13, 2015
Guys, I think the moment where Vinny spent a bunch of time complaining about the fact that Sonic and All Stars Racing didn't have as good accessibility options as Mario Kart 8 (for his 3 year old daughter) - was the moment I realized I don't really know why I listen to GB anymore. Not really entertaining, and not really informative - at least for me anyways -

It was a good 10 or so years - seeya round :)

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
I love being Dan. Ruin this podcast from the inside out.” - Abby Russell

The lack of awareness is staggering.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Nothing much. Dan was just being Dan and they were all laughing and you could hear Abby say that over the top. She was just making a joke, nothing serious.

I just thought it was hilarious that she said that considering how many people think she is doing that exact thing to the podcast.

Reactions: VedderOA

Scottoest

Neo Member
May 28, 2019
Honestly, I think GB started going downhill when Vinny and Dan moved to New York. The rapport between Jeff, Brad, and Vinny is/was hilarious and natural. Dan was also a very natural fit, although he clearly rubs Brad the wrong way sometimes. I think Patrick was also a pretty solid fit by the end of his tenure.

Of course, in really reality, the decline started with the Ryan Davis tragedy - that guy was the backbone of the entire website. Remember the Big Live Live Show Live? Remember how much work they used to put into booking interesting guests and segments for it? Remember how it got much lazier afterward, and then they stopped doing it completely? Remember how their year end awards videos used to have a ton of creativity and effort put into them, and then they got a thousand times lazier in the years since?

Losing having the Tested and Comic Vine folks in the same office, was also a big loss. It was fun to have Will and Norm on the couch occasionally, and the lady from CV whose name I can't remember. Not to mention Dave and Sean.

I didn't mind Ben when he was an intern, but I find him unwatchable/unlistenable as an actual full contributor to the website. Abby I can take or leave most of the time, though she has her moments both good and bad.

Jeff thrives on having a solid comedic partner to bounce off of energy-wise, and he has lost pretty much all of his best ones - Vinny, Dan, and Ryan.

Richard Packer

Gold Member
May 22, 2019
I really enjoyed this weeks 'best of.' That Jan story was hilarious. Maybe because I saw it while it aired. Especially as chat found the google street view of the vape boys. It was all so absurd.

Also, Abby playing RE is always great. Though I feel like they should have just saved all the clips for one best of focused on a RE4 episode. I guess the next 'best of' that will focus on a single title will be the Sea Beasts content as that has been amazing.

As excited as i am for E3 after shows, GB East has been killing it with their content and it's gonna suck to have that put on hold for a couple of weeks.

Richard Packer

Gold Member
May 22, 2019
Honestly, I think GB started going downhill when Vinny and Dan moved to New York. The rapport between Jeff, Brad, and Vinny is/was hilarious and natural. Dan was also a very natural fit, although he clearly rubs Brad the wrong way sometimes. I think Patrick was also a pretty solid fit by the end of his tenure.

Of course, in really reality, the decline started with the Ryan Davis tragedy - that guy was the backbone of the entire website. Remember the Big Live Live Show Live? Remember how much work they used to put into booking interesting guests and segments for it? Remember how it got much lazier afterward, and then they stopped doing it completely? Remember how their year end awards videos used to have a ton of creativity and effort put into them, and then they got a thousand times lazier in the years since?

Losing having the Tested and Comic Vine folks in the same office, was also a big loss. It was fun to have Will and Norm on the couch occasionally, and the lady from CV whose name I can't remember. Not to mention Dave and Sean.

I didn't mind Ben when he was an intern, but I find him unwatchable/unlistenable as an actual full contributor to the website. Abby I can take or leave most of the time, though she has her moments both good and bad.

Jeff thrives on having a solid comedic partner to bounce off of energy-wise, and he has lost pretty much all of his best ones - Vinny, Dan, and Ryan.
While the West has been on a sharp decline I am very happy with the way things turned out for the East. The chemistry between the four of them is great. Add in Jeff Bakalar and Mike Mahardy to that list too. If it wasn't for the East I would have stopped being a sub.

I feel like both Ben and Jan have been terrible hires. I have stopped watching a lot of West content with Ben in it just because he annoys me so much. And, Jan is too quiet.

I kinda wish Brad and Jeff would just join the East team. Jeff and Abby content would be gold.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
He appears to be attempting that with Ben with the way they constantly laugh hysterically at eachother’s lame jokes and that aftershow thing. It’s fucking horrible and ill-advised. It doesn’t work. Jeff hasn’t been funny since he idiotically dumped his regular customer base and started chasing the non-existent SJW money and Ben was never funny.

Just a shit show all ‘round, really.

BarmyDodger

Neo Member
Aug 15, 2018
I could really do without Abby saying nothing but "woooowwww" or "coooooooool" on every quick look.

Reactions: brap

Richard Packer

Gold Member
May 22, 2019
This weeks episode of Crime Crew is really good. Abby screaming out another one of her famous words had my dying.

The West has a snes playdate on the ticker. I'm really excited for that. Brad is always so upbeat when playing snes games.

bad

Nov 5, 2013
New York
He appears to be attempting that with Ben with the way they constantly laugh hysterically at eachother’s lame jokes and that aftershow thing. It’s fucking horrible and ill-advised. It doesn’t work. Jeff hasn’t been funny since he idiotically dumped his regular customer base and started chasing the non-existent SJW money and Ben was never funny.

Just a shit show all ‘round, really.
I dont think that’s a fair assessment. Not that I don’t there’s some truth to it, I just remember the most recent GOTY discussion where Alex brought up Spidey-Cop, and Jeff shut him down. I think that Giant Bomb has escaped Jeff.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
I think that Giant Bomb has escaped Jeff.
It’s all on him though. He calls the shots. He chose this and he does not escape the blame. He has been the chief virtue-signaller on many recent podcasts. He’s attempting a “hello, fellow kids” situation. It was a dumb idea. There’s no money in chasing the “woke” crowd and I’d bet my bottom dollar he’s starting to realise that. At least CBS would be.

donutkirby

Sep 6, 2018
Just popping in here to add my two cents about the decline. I used to watch during the golden era from 09-13. When Ryan passed away so did GB as a fun website. The rest of the OG guys became passionless cynics and the new hires are killjoys and unfunny.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
I stopped listening to the bombcast. What has Jeff been saying?
Nothing interesting. Wheels out his soap box to latch onto the latest SJW issue and denigrate industry veterans.

Other than that he just bags 99% of popular games and then talks about Call of Duty for an hour.

Real fun times.

SamFo

Neo Member
May 13, 2015
Nothing interesting. Wheels out his soap box to latch onto the latest SJW issue and denigrate industry veterans.

Other than that he just bags 99% of popular games and then talks about Call of Duty for an hour.

Real fun times.
I am someone who is critical of Giant Bomb, but I can say that your description of the Bombcast is just plain wrong.

Richard Packer

Gold Member
May 22, 2019
I am not going to summarize the Giant Bomb podcasts for you. Have a listen if you like.
You are the one who made these claims. Just asking for an example. You seem pretty passionate about your disgust for his behaviour lately.