• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

ElKabong

Sep 29, 2019
Easy

New York is an at will employment state; she can be late once and they can fire her, hell they can even just do the "Heyyyy we're going to phase you out of here...you'll want to start looking," and they'd be protected
I was mostly thinking about the absolute shitfest that would ensue on social media. Again, remember how they got a Twitter mob on their asses for not hiring a trans person?

Aug 30, 2018
I was mostly thinking about the absolute shitfest that would ensue on social media. Again, remember how they got a Twitter mob on their asses for not hiring a trans person?
I don't think it would affect CBS/CBSi that much

Fire her, you attract one demographic
Keep her around, you attract another

Whichever one nets them more profit they'll do

The social media thing only comes into play with big corporations if it starts making enough labor outside of that one team to warrant a review, and USUALLY at that point some restructuring happens in some way shape or form (New policies or work flows, changes in staff, benefits, etc)

The one thing I can't stress enough is that this type of screeching on the internet towards companies has been around since the creation of it; it's a communication medium to relay data/information, and people have ALWAYS bitched about companies and products, just what at the time is everyone's favorite flavor to bitch about

It's just more widely used so you see a lot more of the dumb shit people say

Giant Bomb is owned by CBS/CBSi, if shit hits the fan, they'll be getting talked to by CBS/CBSi; if CBS/CBSi ends GB because of the controversy, then WE KNOW it was because they weren't pulling their money's worth of weight to the amount CBS/CBSi was spending to maintain it

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
I don't think it would affect CBS/CBSi that much

Whichever one nets them more profit they'll do

The social media thing only comes into play with big corporations if it starts making enough labor outside of that one team to warrant a review, and USUALLY at that point some restructuring happens in some way shape or form (New policies or work flows, changes in staff, benefits, etc)

The one thing I can't stress enough is that this type of screeching on the internet towards companies has been around since the creation of it; it's a communication medium to relay data/information, and people have ALWAYS bitched about companies and products, just what at the time is everyone's favorite flavor to bitch about

It's just more widely used so you see a lot more of the dumb shit people say

Giant Bomb is owned by CBS/CBSi, if shit hits the fan, they'll be getting talked to by CBS/CBSi; if CBS/CBSi ends GB because of the controversy, then WE KNOW it was because they weren't pulling their money's worth of weight to the amount CBS/CBSi was spending to maintain it
Any discussion of Abby being fired is useless because Vinny will never fire her. Abby could come in and shit on Vinny's desk and piss in his face and he wouldn't fire her. You know, I know it, everybody knows it.

ElKabong

Sep 29, 2019
I'm not sure if I agree. For some reason the GB fan base is extremely overrepresentative when it comes to gays, queers and transsexuals etc. But maybe you've got a point. It would be like a purge to get rid of the woke crowd and get back to business? Nah... it's too late. They don't care anymore.

Aug 30, 2018
Any discussion of Abby being fired is useless because Vinny will never fire her. Abby could come in and shit on Vinny's desk and piss in his face and he wouldn't fire her. You know, I know it, everybody knows it.
Vinny isn't the top of CBS/CBSi

If he gets told to fire someone, and he doesn't, they'll fire her for him, then follow the same pen strokes for Vinny for not meeting the performance requirements/job duties of management Firing people is a nasty thing, but if you don't do it, you're canned too. Pick your battles wisely

Giant Bomb is NOT an independent website; they are owned by CBS/CBSi
It all comes back to CBS/CBSi getting involved enough to do an internal review and how they handle it from there

We've already determined she's staying at a GB level, IMO, so the next thing that would bump her off the log is the upper echelon giving a directive

I'm not sure if I agree. For some reason the GB fan base is extremely overrepresentative when it comes to gays, queers and transsexuals etc. But maybe you've got a point. It would be like a purge to get rid of the woke crowd and get back to business? Nah... it's too late. They don't care anymore.
It's a bit of a hyperbole of course

I wouldn't call it a "Purge," because firing someone isn't firing your customers; the customers make the choice on if they want the product or not regardless

I'd see it as just another step in the growth of the product; some people will go, some people will stay, some people will come back, and some people will start consuming the product

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Aug 23, 2017
And they're stuck with her until she decides to leave. How would they ever fire her? It would be impossible. How would you even go about firing a "queer" and 100% woke "woman" and not be completely cancelled?
Used to be you could fire someone just because they suck. Now if you are fired they pull out every card in the deck as the reason why they were fired. Actually Abby, no one likes you. That is why you should be fired.

Toaster man

Jul 16, 2020
At this point Abby could just get bored and move on her YouTube show is not going to get picked up by CBS but maybe she could transfer to a different area of the company?

Harts316

Jun 11, 2020
The bigger issue is that the crew is all-in on her woke ideology. They wouldn't fire her because in their minds, she is a great asset to the team.

Harts316

Jun 11, 2020
At this point Abby could just get bored and move on her YouTube show is not going to get picked up by CBS but maybe she could transfer to a different area of the company?
She probably thought she was going to parlay the GB gig into some sort of comedy career.

Remember when she was doing her character voices on the podcast?

Harts316

Jun 11, 2020
Another galaxy brain take from Abby.
In what way is Abby "fighting" for anything? Is posting a link on social media considered "fighting"?

She encourages people to keep donating. The last time she posted a donation link, it was for bail funds for people arrested during the riots. I can think of a lot more useful ways to donate money to advance social causes rather than finance a movement that has set back race relations in this country by 30 years.

Dismantle the police? What does that even mean? I'm all for having a reasonable discussion about how funds are allocated and what they can do to improve (police unions for example). However, how can anyone see the crime rates in places like Chicago, Minnesota and New York and think that less policing is even a serious position?

This is classic low-stakes activism that has taken over our discourse.

She's a moron.

Sep 7, 2011
This is classic low-stakes activism that has taken over our discourse.

She's a moron.
Yeah, it's been going on for years now. I remember rolling my eyes so hard when Jeff was saying we need "common sense gun control" after that shooting at an esports event. Of course that discussion never went past that buzz phrase because no one can ever seem to define "common sense gun control. " I think it has something to do with getting rid of scary black long guns.

Ramagamma

Mar 22, 2017
She encourages people to keep donating. The last time she posted a donation link, it was for bail funds for people arrested during the riots. I can think of a lot more useful ways to donate money to advance social causes rather than finance a movement that has set back race relations in this country by 30 years.
Wait so she last time she was scrounging for donations on twitter it wasn't for a gay bar?

Reactions: Harts316

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
So, if you change the name of the police, yet they're still the police... that's somehow better? How about just not playing the gam-... Oh, right: they enjoy bullying. It is so exhausting to simulate having the IQ of a Hostess Snoball.
Let's not even get into what it's like being a Ding Dong.

Last edited:
Reactions: frostyxc

Harts316

Jun 11, 2020
So, if you change the name of the police, yet they're still the police... that's somehow better? How about just not playing the gam-... Oh, right: they enjoy bullying. It is so exhausting to simulate having the IQ of a Hostess Snoball.
It must be exhausting to put this level of thought into something that is supposed to be a source of entertainment. Do they get any enjoyment out of life?

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
The hilarious part about all the "dismantle the Police" talk is that there are a lot of Police departments in big cities that are majority Black. If the departments are defunded, that's a lot of unemployed Black people that lost their jobs because of the screeching of lilly white bitches like Abby. She's too stupid to realize this. As far as the story She's commenting on, I'm sure she's warping what actually happened. It's amazing how brainwashed she is.

Reactions: Javthusiast

rofif

Sep 13, 2019
These fucking idiots still wish for all police to be dismantled?
Wait until someone needs to protect you or do ANYTHING. It would be anarchy without pd. They are idiots to even think that it's an idea to dismantle the police. Wtf... just because some methead with criminal history dies?!

Last edited:

Hudo

Jul 26, 2018
What's up with being against the police? Who the fuck should I call if someone invaded my house? The police are there to help you and to enforce the laws. So there are some policemen/policewomen who fucked up. Fire those and maybe reform the hiring/training process. But don't fucking dismantle the police. I am not a US citizen but I bet that most police officers don't want to shoot everything that moves and would love to resolve conflicts without violence. They are human as well.

Who should I call if something happens? My neighbours? They (rightfully) don't have to give a fuck. Some volunteer vigilantes that aren't beholden to any rules/laws? Yeah...right. Some sort of gang/mafia so they extort me later for protection money? Do those imbeciles actually think about what they are saying before posting on Twitter?

Reactions: JovianLizards

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
What's up with being against the police? Who the fuck should I call if someone invaded my house? The police are there to help you and to enforce the laws. So there are some policemen/policewomen who fucked up. Fire those and maybe reform the hiring/training process. But don't fucking dismantle the police. I am not a US citizen but I bet that most police officers don't want to shoot everything that moves and would love to resolve conflicts without violence. They are human as well.

Who should I call if something happens? My neighbours? They (rightfully) don't have to give a fuck. Some volunteer vigilantes that aren't beholden to any rules/laws? Yeah...right. Some sort of gang/mafia so they extort me later for protection money? Do those imbeciles actually think about what they are saying before posting on Twitter?
No, Abby and people like her dont think things through. They're also the first people to call the cops when THEY need them.

On another note, I might have been able to tolerate Abby's dumb takes if she has was also knowledgeable about gaming, which she isnt. GB just hired the first woman they came across because a friend of the site was a simp for her.

Evil Calvin

Aug 23, 2017
I'm a bit late on this but I was listening to last weeks Bombcast over the weekend and got to the emails. Holy Crap! Ben had to repeat most of the letters and struggle to say anything coherent. Like he had shit in his mouth. What is his problem?

Reactions: CancelYourSubs

Harts316

Jun 11, 2020
No, Abby and people like her dont think things through. They're also the first people to call the cops when THEY need them.

On another note, I might have been able to tolerate Abby's dumb takes if she has was also knowledgeable about gaming, which she isnt. GB just hired the first woman they came across because a friend of the site was a simp for her.
Earlier someone made reference to Jeff calling for “common sense gun reform”. It’s the same empty type of slogan as “defund the police”. Does anyone remember “kids in cages”?

These people don’t have any substantive ideas or nuance to their thoughts. Everything needs to be dumbed down to a slogan you can print on a sign or fit in a tweet.