• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

Harts316

Jun 11, 2020
Basing your comedy style around being constantly self-deprecating but then constantly demanding special attention and rules to be made up for you must be an odd way to live your life. I guess it's a quarantine joke about letting your hygiene slide like a slob but maybe it's just a simple fart joke.
There's so many layers to it :messenger_dizzy:

This is fifth dimension comedy. Mind blown.

Jun 2, 2020
She keeps asking Bakalar to give her a pinball machine and invite her over so she can play them.
I wasnt even referring to that! I was talking about that chair. Its a damn nice one too. Why is it, you can have zero filter with this type of greed? Just save like the rest of us.

Dave_at_Home

Jun 19, 2020
My disdain for the state of current GB is spreading into how I view the staff members who I previously condoned. I can no longer listen to Brad speak without being frustrated by how sheepish he sounds. I can't think of someone who speaks less authoritatively.

Finishing every sentence in a dog whistle register was one thing. On a recent hotspot, Vinny casually asked Brad which console he would buy if he had to choose one. Brad's non-answer was so low and mumbled, it was difficult to hear over the sound of his tail between his legs. Zero authority, and seemingly afraid to give an actual opinion. It's crazy to me that they made him the host.
The one thing that has always annoyed me about Brad is his "laugh talk" thing. I guess it's kind of hard to explain, but many times when he's talking about something, he finishes his words with a fake sounding breathy laugh. I always interpreted this as him being sheepish in his own opinion of things, so he does this fake laugh stuff to play it off. I dunno. That's just how it comes off to me and when you hear it you'll always notice.

HotPocket69

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
The one thing that has always annoyed me about Brad is his "laugh talk" thing. I guess it's kind of hard to explain, but many times when he's talking about something, he finishes his words with a fake sounding breathy laugh. I always interpreted this as him being sheepish in his own opinion of things, so he does this fake laugh stuff to play it off. I dunno. That's just how it comes off to me and when you hear it you'll always notice.
Yeah it sucks a big bag of dicks. They’re all sheepish nowadays.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Basing your comedy style around being constantly self-deprecating but then constantly demanding special attention and rules to be made up for you must be an odd way to live your life. I guess it's a quarantine joke about letting your hygiene slide like a slob but maybe it's just a simple fart joke.
As Abby puts herself down frequently it could be due to self-esteem and self-confidence issues. It's a fairly odd pattern the things she says and does, especially in a work environment. My guess is she has a history of being mocked, made fun of or otherwise chaffed and has overcorrected to adopt self-deprecating "humor" and a selfish, flamboyant "me me me I don't give a damn" attitude as a coping mechanism. Her use of improv comedy can be seen as self therapy - some psychiatrists/psychologists even implement improv as part of their practice. The actor is free to create a false identity, without the constraints of everyday society and is accepted with no regard to who or what they truly are.

Self-depreciating humor has been shown through various studies, to promote psychological well-being and be beneficial in the workplace as well. It's also however common to see it used as an outlet of inner feelings and the line between sense of humor and low self-esteem becomes smaller as the jokes fall flat and an impression of disparagement is presented instead, all with a smile. The oddest thing to me, at least, is that her "jokes" just don't come off as such. It's more an admission she just smells like shit. There's no wry comedy in that, at all. Or maybe it's the slowest burning comedy through line ever. Nah.

But what do I know. Maybe she's just an idiot that thinks fart jokes are the road to success.

Otherwise, Bakalar seems like he's ready to snap sometimes due to Abby. It was a recent podcast when she wouldn't shut up (again) about the afore mentioned begging for a toy and to come to his home. Bakalar was getting pretty fed up, made a couple sly remarks then called her out on it saying something along the line of "not everything is about you". Only one of several examples, but man I imagine during their podcast breaks he throws off his headset, walks over to the old punching wall which has a picture of Abby on it and does some reconstructing.

Sep 7, 2011
I like Jan but we also have mostly the same interests. Pro-wrestling, hip hop, and Pokémon. I don't care about Kingdom Hearts at all though.

frostyxc

Mar 30, 2012
Seattle
frostyxc.tumblr.com
I think its so tacky when someone asks for free shit on a podcast. Not to mention doing it every god damn week!
Before I dumped all of Giant Bomb in the dumpster, hearing Abby beg for free stuff from everyone every week was like fingernails on a chalkboard. I'm guessing that she picked it up from Dan but doesn't know what subtlety is, so it's just a constant stream of screeching "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!" Dan is a pro at casually hinting that he wants his "fans" to buy him something in a way that sounds like he's just reminding himself that he needs to buy something.

Dave_at_Home

Jun 19, 2020
I don't know why I still let my subscription go through every year. Whiskey Media was truly the golden era of GiantBomb. I so rarely go to the site anymore and when I do I'm always disappointed. I don't believe there is a real fix for the site. It's too tied in the old guard (Jeff, Brand, Vinny, Ryan, etc.). You can't inject new blood into a site in which the original personalities were the reason to visit. It was an innovator, but now that same media has passed them, improved, and they've simply got old. They clearly don't have the same passion as they once had. I just wish they admitted it to their fans.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020
Otherwise, Bakalar seems like he's ready to snap sometimes due to Abby. It was a recent podcast when she wouldn't shut up (again) about the afore mentioned begging for a toy and to come to his home. Bakalar was getting pretty fed up, made a couple sly remarks then called her out on it saying something along the line of "not everything is about you". Only one of several examples, but man I imagine during their podcast breaks he throws off his headset, walks over to the old punching wall which has a picture of Abby on it and does some reconstructing.
I think it was a recent podcast where he called her a comedian in a joky/teasing manner and she got huffy about it.

Before I dumped all of Giant Bomb in the dumpster, hearing Abby beg for free stuff from everyone every week was like fingernails on a chalkboard. I'm guessing that she picked it up from Dan but doesn't know what subtlety is, so it's just a constant stream of screeching "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!" Dan is a pro at casually hinting that he wants his "fans" to buy him something in a way that sounds like he's just reminding himself that he needs to buy something.
When Broadway-Dan first made his rounds on the video eps, she put him on the spot while they were streaming live to get herself an invite to his set/backstage.

She's going to bounce the first chance she gets something she considers a level up.

Manus

Jan 12, 2009
Is this her comedy at work?

I imagine she probably does have some sort of stale cottage cheese scent that she carries around with her. You can’t be that homely and not have an odor issue someplace.
Its them baked bean yellow teeth. Reminds me of this.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: HotPocket69

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
I don't know why I still let my subscription go through every year. Whiskey Media was truly the golden era of GiantBomb. I so rarely go to the site anymore and when I do I'm always disappointed. I don't believe there is a real fix for the site. It's too tied in the old guard (Jeff, Brand, Vinny, Ryan, etc.). You can't inject new blood into a site in which the original personalities were the reason to visit. It was an innovator, but now that same media has passed them, improved, and they've simply got old. They clearly don't have the same passion as they once had. I just wish they admitted it to their fans.
I just recently looked at their latest premium scroll and it was mostly Minecraft. I guess you have to love Minecraft to be a premium subscriber as that's all they want to play now. It's bizarre.

Last edited:

Roasted_Onions

Neo Member
Aug 8, 2020
I just recently looked at their latest premium scroll and it was mostly Minecraft. I guess you have to love Minecraft to be a premium subscriber as that's all they want to play now. It's bizarre.
I liked the Minecraft series pretty well. I never gave Minecraft much of a serious look, so seeing other personalities I already knew come into it relatively fresh in 2020 at the same time as I learned about it was a fun ride. Ultimately it was all about everyone shooting the shit with each other as they all did semi-mindless tasks, which is something I can get down with. A good series for me to put on in the background as I worked on other things. It's a shame that it fell to the community to create syncs of their video feeds, since there were many times when one or two of the streamers was seeing something cool that you'd miss if watching any of the other perspectives.

It was again Abby that put a damper on things. Jeff's reaction to parts of his place being blown up versus Abby's sums it all up. Jeff offered a "oh, fuck you, Ben! Now I've gotta rebuild my elevator" sentiment that came across as him laughing at himself as he accepted the bullshit that is multiplayer Minecraft. Abby was like "I don't even care about my place anymore. Part of it blew up. Fuck it all! What do I do now?" when a creeper halfway-destroyed part of one of her rooms. These attitudes would continue to be reflected for the rest of "Let's Minecraft Together"'s run.

HotPocket69

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Wanted to hear what the has-been brigade had to say about the Halo delay. OF COURSE Brad just skims that statement by 343 instead of just reading the whole fucking thing. And as soon as he hits the “Wahh we blame COVID” part you hear pipsqueak Jan pipe up with an “Understandable!” which I couldn’t help but let it rub me the wrong fucking way.

Halo Infinite is/was years in the making before this Rona bullshit. I don’t doubt that maybe a few people at 343 called out with the sniffles over the past four months, but to seemingly shelf the blame primarily on it is complete bullshit. The game looked absolutely unimpressive for the time spent in development. Period. 343 hasn’t gotten anything right with Halo since 4. Remember the entire fucking launch mess that was the Master Chief Collection? This is the same fucking shit and these fucking sheepish bootlickers are simply too pussified to call them out on it.

Remember this rant?

Same shit, different day with Infinite. You’re Microsoft. This is Halo. Get it done.

And I say this as an unbiased system warrior (that is more of a Sony and Nintendo fan even though i own several Xboxes. Also Phil and Major Nelson are massive try hard douchebags)

MikeDub

Dec 6, 2008
UK
Yeah it's horseshit, no doubt that Covid has had an effect on development but not enough to delay it into next year when 3 weeks ago they were like 'Yo, here is the new Halo, play it on the most powerful console this Holiday'. The reaction to the game was bad and they had to react, they should scrap the base Xbox One support and actually push the hardware.

Small Change

Jul 17, 2020
As Abby puts herself down frequently it could be due to self-esteem and self-confidence issues. It's a fairly odd pattern the things she says and does, especially in a work environment. My guess is she has a history of being mocked, made fun of or otherwise chaffed and has overcorrected to adopt self-deprecating "humor" and a selfish, flamboyant "me me me I don't give a damn" attitude as a coping mechanism. Her use of improv comedy can be seen as self therapy - some psychiatrists/psychologists even implement improv as part of their practice. The actor is free to create a false identity, without the constraints of everyday society and is accepted with no regard to who or what they truly are.

Self-depreciating humor has been shown through various studies, to promote psychological well-being and be beneficial in the workplace as well. It's also however common to see it used as an outlet of inner feelings and the line between sense of humor and low self-esteem becomes smaller as the jokes fall flat and an impression of disparagement is presented instead, all with a smile. The oddest thing to me, at least, is that her "jokes" just don't come off as such. It's more an admission she just smells like shit. There's no wry comedy in that, at all. Or maybe it's the slowest burning comedy through line ever. Nah.

But what do I know. Maybe she's just an idiot that thinks fart jokes are the road to success.

Interesting and I've definitely known people who were having stuggles under the surface who used self-deprecating humour. Kind of like "if I say it first then the others can't hurt me with it" type thing. The self-centred and narcissistic attitude is definitely not something I'd associate with those people (if anything they went out of their way for others almost to their detriment) so I'm not sure if Abby fits that criteria. Honestly (and it'll sound cruel) I think if she did struggle with anything like that it would be in her Twitter bio and she'd be speaking about seeing her therapist or listing off her prescription constantly. I think it unfortunately boils down to someone who has a bad attitude and isn't funny being humoured by people around her.

Bakalar does seem like the guy who would not be in for the "me! me! me!" attitude. He seems to have a pretty low bar for people he considers to be nice generally so I'm sure it chafes him sometimes. Who just asks a co-worker for free shit? Especially on a popular live broadcast.

Shantae

Banned
Jul 7, 2019
Wanted to hear what the has-been brigade had to say about the Halo delay. OF COURSE Brad just skims that statement by 343 instead of just reading the whole fucking thing. And as soon as he hits the “Wahh we blame COVID” part you hear pipsqueak Jan pipe up with an “Understandable!” which I couldn’t help but let it rub me the wrong fucking way.

Halo Infinite is/was years in the making before this Rona bullshit. I don’t doubt that maybe a few people at 343 called out with the sniffles over the past four months, but to seemingly shelf the blame primarily on it is complete bullshit. The game looked absolutely unimpressive for the time spent in development. Period. 343 hasn’t gotten anything right with Halo since 4. Remember the entire fucking launch mess that was the Master Chief Collection? This is the same fucking shit and these fucking sheepish bootlickers are simply too pussified to call them out on it.

Remember this rant?

Same shit, different day with Infinite. You’re Microsoft. This is Halo. Get it done.

And I say this as an unbiased system warrior (that is more of a Sony and Nintendo fan even though i own several Xboxes. Also Phil and Major Nelson are massive try hard douchebags)
That moment with Jan also stuck out to me, and just made me roll my eyes.

At the very least, Jeff was trying not to give them a pass completely. He kinda went on a rant, which I appreciated.

Evil Calvin

Aug 23, 2017
I guess they're not really uploading to youtube anymore?
I don't have premium. I've noticed that the content on YouTube is sparse this week. I thought it was that they are lazy. Is there a ton more missing content not posted to YT?

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Aug 30, 2018
I never really understood why they started to regularly bring all their content to YT in the first place

YT should be the mall kiosk that brings customers to their main pages

• Thoughtful

frostyxc

Mar 30, 2012
Seattle
frostyxc.tumblr.com
I don't have premium. I've noticed that the content on YouTube is sparse this week. I thought it was that they are lazy. Is there a ton more missing content not posted to YT?
I haven't looked at the site in a few months, but I'm guessing it's a combination of laziness and that they're doing nearly everything through Twitch. It's hard work to click upload on YouTube. It could take, like, 10 minutes out of their busy days to get things up on YouTube, not to mention damage their fragile psyches and content in the long run.

eot

Apr 13, 2012
Jan finished Bloodborne for example, but they haven't uploaded anything from that in 2 months

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
I liked the Minecraft series pretty well. I never gave Minecraft much of a serious look, so seeing other personalities I already knew come into it relatively fresh in 2020 at the same time as I learned about it was a fun ride. Ultimately it was all about everyone shooting the shit with each other as they all did semi-mindless tasks, which is something I can get down with. A good series for me to put on in the background as I worked on other things. It's a shame that it fell to the community to create syncs of their video feeds, since there were many times when one or two of the streamers was seeing something cool that you'd miss if watching any of the other perspectives.

It was again Abby that put a damper on things. Jeff's reaction to parts of his place being blown up versus Abby's sums it all up. Jeff offered a "oh, fuck you, Ben! Now I've gotta rebuild my elevator" sentiment that came across as him laughing at himself as he accepted the bullshit that is multiplayer Minecraft. Abby was like "I don't even care about my place anymore. Part of it blew up. Fuck it all! What do I do now?" when a creeper halfway-destroyed part of one of her rooms. These attitudes would continue to be reflected for the rest of "Let's Minecraft Together"'s run.
Dude, the Jeff and Ryan (if he was still alive) of arrow pointing down days/start of Giant Bomb would laugh at Giant Bomb mostly playing Minecraft now. Its largely a kids game. Are they targeting youths now? Why not play Lego and Barbie games all day? Also, people saying their content is great in the background is pretty sad in my opinion, but that's where they're at these days.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Dude, the Jeff and Ryan (if he was still alive) of arrow pointing down days/start of Giant Bomb would laugh at Giant Bomb mostly playing Minecraft now. Its largely a kids game. Are they targeting youths now? Why not play Lego and Barbie games all day? Also, people saying their content is great in the background is pretty sad in my opinion, but that's where they're at these days.
I dunno, I'd rather watch them play lego games.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
I dunno, I'd rather watch them play lego games.

Lego Island was a weird thing and it is fun to see them goof on it, but imagine if they played Lego Harry Potter, Lego Batman or whatever property Lego has taken hold of for days and days and days while ignoring better games. Quick look them sure, they have in the past, but to make most of your premium content Minecraft? It's almost infantile. I'm also not saying they couldn't make an ongoing series of playing any of these games and shove it off to the side with Ben and Jan, but to make it most of your premium content? They would have laughed at Youtubers doing this back in the day. This is Giant Bomb we're talking about.

Where my country gone, Drunkenski?

Last edited:

Harts316

Jun 11, 2020
Lego Island was a weird thing and it is fun to see them goof on it, but imagine if they played Lego Harry Potter, Lego Batman or whatever property Lego has taken hold of for days and days and days while ignoring better games. Quick look them sure, they have in the past, but to make most of your premium content Minecraft? It's almost infantile. I'm also not saying they couldn't make an ongoing series of playing any of these games and shove it off to the side with Ben and Jan, but to make it most of your premium content? They would have laughed at Youtubers doing this back in the day. This is Giant Bomb we're talking about.
There is so much offbeat shit that they could be playing nowadays. Making a series about Minecraft is the most boring thing imaginable. They also just posted a video of Splulenky. A game released in 2009.

SpiceRacz

Gold Member
Feb 27, 2017
Hazuki Dojo
They were so fucking proud of their new "news room" desk setup (especially Jason, who's probably 80% responsible for the shitfest). Comments from viewers were overwhelmingly negative but you know GB, they just cover their ears.
I remember someone here mentioning they built the set because of Ben's back/posture issues. Is this true? Did they ever give any explanation why they changed it? I fucking hate it.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
There is so much offbeat shit that they could be playing nowadays. Making a series about Minecraft is the most boring thing imaginable. They also just posted a video of Splulenky. A game released in 2009.
Yeah, Jeff and Vinny are both seemingly interested in Gundam, why can't they do a podcast/game roundup of Gundam series? Vinny loves Transformers, it would be cool to see him play through some old Transformers games while talking about the toys. Brad mentioned how he should play through the Sherlock Holmes adventure games, and unsurprisingly hasn't followed through. Jeff and Vinny could do an Endurance run of Persona 1, I believe Jeff said he enjoyed it. Jeff liked Zillion, he could do a proper playthrough of Zillion and Zillion 2. There really are a lot of very interesting old games that I think many people would pay to see them play, but Minecraft, Really? I also think it would be funny to see Jeff play through Twilight Princess again and re-score it.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019

Where my country gone, Drunkenski?
Yes. Fuck them all to death. Let's make Giant Bomb great again. What I'm suggesting is we round them all up, pull down their pants, and fuck them until their spirits leave their bodies. And then, after we've fucked every last one of them to death, we play good video games. And if anyone doesn't like good video games, we fuck them to death too.

• LOL
Reactions: JovianLizards

Harts316

Jun 11, 2020
Yeah, Jeff and Vinny are both seemingly interested in Gundam, why can't they do a podcast/game roundup of Gundam series? Vinny loves Transformers, it would be cool to see him play through some old Transformers games while talking about the toys. Brad mentioned how he should play through the Sherlock Holmes adventure games, and unsurprisingly hasn't followed through. Jeff and Vinny could do an Endurance run of Persona 1, I believe Jeff said he enjoyed it. Jeff liked Zillion, he could do a proper playthrough of Zillion and Zillion 2. There really are a lot of very interesting old games that I think many people would pay to see them play, but Minecraft, Really? I also think it would be funny to see Jeff play through Twilight Princess again and re-score it.
Your post showed more creativity than GB has shown in ages.

It’s kind of depressing seeing what the site has become.

Last edited:

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Your post showed more creativity than GB has shown in ages.

It’s kind of depressing seeing what the site has become.
Everybody here has given great suggestions for Giant Bomb, but our voices have been pushed out of the discussion one way or another by the staff, mods, or community. Sound criticism is healthy for everybody, and when you can't be bothered to listen to any criticism whatsoever you don't hear the good as well as the bad. You're right, it's pretty sad seeing a site that was so great not be able to right the ship.

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
Jul 7, 2019
I don't have any editing skills, but I still just wanted to make this because it expresses my feelings so well. If anyone else can make a better version with the same idea, be my guest.

ElKabong

Sep 29, 2019
Does what to herself? I'm pretty sure that's her natural hair.
What I mean is, she could definitely improve on her looks if she wanted to. I couldn't give less of a shit but it's like she's intentionally trying to be ugly or something.

Last edited:

O-N-E

Jul 11, 2018
What I mean is, she could definitely improve on her looks if she wanted to. I couldn't give less of a shit but it's like she's intentionally trying to be ugly or something.
You could say that about everyone at GB now that Drew has left. You're just not used to seeing a female version of that in media.

Reactions: Noboru Wataya

Shantae

Banned
Jul 7, 2019
I am all for shitting on the GB crew for their incompetence and laziness but we shouldn't attack the individual people for how they look, IMHO.
I think it's fair game when you're being paid to be on camera. You have a choice on how you look when you present yourself to the public. People have pointed out that Abby could be better looking if she wanted to be, the point is that she's not trying. A lot of them are not trying. A clean haircut, well done makeup, presentable attire...all these things can contribute, and Abby is purposely looking like a clown. She knows how to clean herself up, she chooses not to.

Outside of Abby, the other men on staff are no exception to looking like shit. Especially with this work from home thing, do they think that means it's perfectly okay to dress like they just got out of bed all the time? They're still going out in public by putting themselves on camera for thousands of people.