• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
You know what would have been a great stream for today? A Halloween stream where they have a couple people making jack-o-lanterns while someone plays a game, maybe one that they have had on their "I would like to get to this before GOTY discussions"!

What a concept! Having a Halloween stream ON HALLOWEEN!!!!

Reactions: rofif

TheSadRanger

Sep 5, 2013
Mckinney,TX
Don't do any reviews for months and of course all of a sudden Jeff reviews CoD. xD

Edit: Nevermind apparently they did Control and Gears 5...so 2 whole reviews after Anthem in March.
Jeff wrote all three of those reviews which is kinda weird lol. Don't get me wrong I still like reading his reviews, he's still got it in writing.

It's just odd that no one else did any and he knocked out three reviews like nothing.

Hudo

Jul 26, 2018
Jeff wrote all three of those reviews which is kinda weird lol. Don't get me wrong I still like reading his reviews, he's still got it in writing.

It's just odd that no one else did any and he knocked out three reviews like nothing.
He and Dan are the only ones who can actually write, by which I mean that they know how to structure paragraphs, how to do introductory texts, know how to structure their thoughts so they come across in text etc. I doubt that the rest of the team know how to write an article.

Last edited:

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014
He and Dan are the only ones who can actually write, by which I mean that they know how to structure paragraphs, how to do introductory texts, know how to structure their thoughts so they come across in text etc. I doubt that the rest of the team know how to write an article.
Brad?

Reactions: SpiceRacz

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I enjoy the reviews, but I don't take it as anything other than someone writing down their thoughts on a game in a more formal way. People who get mad because a game gets a score different than they think it should are people who are real fans of games. They just want to make an issue out of something and don't understand that a video game can be something different to someone else.

I do like the 5 star rating GB does, because is basically boils down to this game is "Complete garbage" "Bad" "Decent" "Really Good" "Fantastic" and that's it, A ten point scale is just too big for games. Most games are good to really good, so you get so many games hovering around 7-8 and people get so bent out of shape about a decimal point.

I'd love to see more written reviews for games they like or feel super strongly for. There is zero reason to review most games for them, that's not what the site is there for. But if they want to use it to write down their thoughts in a more substantial way, where you can follow the whole thought process of the game, without having to load up several videos and podcasts and pick out those clips over the months leading up to and including the release, I'd be all for a few more reviews. I just like that it's something they do when they want and is something different.

Reactions: charlie_s123

Zaffo

Feb 11, 2018
Think i might be done with the beastcast, skipped the whole 1hr death stranding block, then started skipping around Abby screaming all over everybody with her surface level impressions of games she tried to play, and 2 minutes later the podcast was over.

• LOL
Reactions: VedderOA and Scopa

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Think i might be done with the beastcast, skipped the whole 1hr death stranding block, then started skipping around Abby screaming all over everybody with her surface level impressions of games she tried to play, and 2 minutes later the podcast was over.
That's probably the smart thing to do. Hearing their impressions of Death Stranding, and then making excuses for it because it's Kojima is kinda baffling. Any other game would be reemed to hell and back. And they do dig into it very hard, rightly so, but then circle back around to "I respect the hell out of it because it's something different." I just think people should stick by their guns and call a spade a spade. Dan actually does which is great, everyone else is super wishy washy about it.

Then hearing Abby double down on Disco Elysium and making fun of it because "oh isn't woke culture dumb? haha!"... Why yes Abby, it is. Its stupid, and it's making fun of you, that's why you don't like it.

• LOL
Reactions: Scopa
Aug 24, 2012
Anyone else tired of GB continuing the rhetoric that Dan is some Hideo Kojima savant who truly "gets" Metal Gear?

And remembering how unbearable he made listening about RDR2 last year. I've already decided that I'm going to take a couple months off of GB for awhile. I'd honestly rather listen to Jeff's narrow minded view on games then to listen to Dan beating me over the head over what Death Stranding should have been while everyone else remarks passive aggressively (psst! cause they always tease Dan about Metal Gear)

Manus

Jan 12, 2009
Decided to watch the Death Stranding quicklook since it didn't have Ben on it. What's up with them cutting away from the game footage so much? It's so annoying, I'm watching the video to see the game now two people play it.

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
Anyone else tired of GB continuing the rhetoric that Dan is some Hideo Kojima savant who truly "gets" Metal Gear?

And remembering how unbearable he made listening about RDR2 last year. I've already decided that I'm going to take a couple months off of GB for awhile. I'd honestly rather listen to Jeff's narrow minded view on games then to listen to Dan beating me over the head over what Death Stranding should have been while everyone else remarks passive aggressively (psst! cause they always tease Dan about Metal Gear)
Dan is great in podcasts and videos because he's good at playing a dumb heel and has weird interesting stories. No one should look to the man for critical game reviews.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Kadayi

Honey Bunny

Dec 1, 2011
Just my semiannual drive-by to say that I really, really miss the old Giant Bomb. Some of my best gaming media memories were the early days; those half-dozen or so years that followed Gerstmann-gate. Remember Ryan Davis? "China don't care", TANG... all his stuff was so critical to the culture and feel of the site. So many classic bombcasts. Vinny having his kid. Dave Snider. The old office(s).

I even enjoyed some of the more recent stuff for a while. Drew Scanlon's tenure? Absolutely. "Metal Gear Scanlon" was a big hit for me. I found Dan's inclusion to help bring some levity back to their conversations and company culture, just making it fun again. But after a while the culture has completely changed again, and "I just can't", as the kids say. I was a paid subscriber for like eight years or something, and backed out of that shit a few years ago with nary a regret. I drop in still for the occasional quick look or podcast, but it's always just a reminder of how far the site has fallen.

Have a member berry.
I dropped the sub as soon as they declined to cover Kingdom Come and pretended it had nothing to do with politics when everyone knows they'd be all over that sort of 'jank' odd European PC game in any other circumstance.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Kadayi and Scopa

benjipwns

Jul 11, 2007
Decided to watch the Death Stranding quicklook since it didn't have Ben on it. What's up with them cutting away from the game footage so much? It's so annoying, I'm watching the video to see the game now two people play it.
Embargo rules, no one can show more than 20 total minutes of the game and it cannot be continuous footage. You also get ten minutes for "technical analysis" which Jeff and Brad do wonderfully talking about the many onscreen resolutions of up to 4000 of them. Also stress testing the frame rate by having Brad pile as much junk as possible on his back and run down the road. As well as speculate as to the number of polygons in the hat.

Jeff reads the rules near the start. They also aren't allowed to "review" the game, so Jeff regularly states how Alex is writing the official review if they spend too long talking about their opinions of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: DangerStepp

Manus

Jan 12, 2009
Embargo rules, no one can show more than 20 total minutes of the game and it cannot be continuous footage. You also get ten minutes for "technical analysis" which Jeff and Brad do wonderfully talking about the many onscreen resolutions of up to 4000 of them. Also stress testing the frame rate by having Brad pile as much junk as possible on his back and run down the road. As well as speculate as to the number of polygons in the hat.

Jeff reads the rules near the start. They also aren't allowed to "review" the game, so Jeff regularly states how Alex is writing the official review if they spend too long talking about their opinions of the game.
Ah okay gotcha that makes sense. I just skipped to the first footage of gameplay and went from there.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
It's not a quick look. Did you not watch the beginning of it? It is part of the embargo, they can't show more than 20 minutes of it and then a additional 10 minutes of technical analysis. Thats why there is a timer. Jeff strictly says the rules of it at the beginning of the video. Alex is doing the review, which will come later, and so with the quicklook.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Brad continually saying "I don't like this game, but I have to finish it!" is weird. Why? Why do you HAVE to finish something you don't like? What a waste of someone's life. If it was a situation where you only have a small amount of time invested in, and can see it through to completion relatively quickly, then sure, go for it. But when people INSIST on finishing something that they hate or dislike, it makes me realize they actually are very stupid and their opinions don't really matter to me, because if they can be that stupid and stubborn, they aren't looking at the thing objectively.

How many games could Brad be playing and finishing for GOTY discussions, so the crew has a real understanding of each game they talk about,? But instead because it's Kojima, it's not allowed to be bad and it has to have some higher purpose meaning and message. There must be some deeper understanding that us mere mortals can't comprehend. I've said it throughout his career and it holds as true as it did today as it did when MGS2 came out. Kojima is just stealing from other games and movies. He isn't a good writer. He is a hack and everyone has the wool pulled over their eyes. He's ChickenBoo from Animaniacs.

Sep 18, 2019
Upstate NY
Man, West has been so much more watchable without Ben. They still make the same kind of lame jokes, but they’re so much more chill and relaxed without him around. I still don’t mind watching Abby in East’s stuff, even with her bullshit. Dan’s the only sane one there; sadly Vinny enables her to not be called out.
The Kotaku news this week of being pushed back about their terrible editorials has been very encouraging. Hopefully this is the start of things starting to trend away from allowing these kind of losers and their rabid followers to run amuck.

Reactions: BibleBLACKED

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I have really been enjoying the Ben-less podcasts and streams. I watched a couple streams last night and were just enjoying it immensely. Then once it was done, I switched over to infinite and it was a Ben video and it was so hard to even enjoy the conversation. It was like every sentence took an eternity to get through. I really wish they hired someone who didn't have issues talking. I mean it seems like a red flag for a position where you have to be talking into a microphone as the major job requirement.

I love that they allow dontations to have political statements attached to them, but the moment someone posts "fire abby" that gets deleted right out. "NO CENSORSHIP!!! Unless WE don't like it, then it's absolutely ok!"

Last edited:

BibleBLACKED

Mar 20, 2017
Actually really enjoyed their death stranding talk on the Beastcast. Vinny and Alex talked well about what they liked and disliked, and even with Dan it was understandable why he personally didn‘t enjoy it.

Their conclusion that they would like for people to experince it for themselves but at the same time can‘t really recommend it makes also sense from reading all the reviews and hearing different podcast discussions. I myself while intrigued am at the same time put off by many things I see in videos or read and hear about regarding the gameplay loop, weak bosses, shallow story etc.

Still can‘t decide whether to go through with my pre order or wait for sale.

Sep 18, 2019
Upstate NY
It seems pretty divisive. It looks sharp and the online component could be cool. I’m just not too hyped after seeing their video. Didn’t listen to the Beastcast. I kinda regret getting Outer Worlds day 1, but there’s plenty of new releases lately that I could hold off and try something like Stranding later on.

bad

Nov 5, 2013
New York
Actually really enjoyed their death stranding talk on the Beastcast. Vinny and Alex talked well about what they liked and disliked, and even with Dan it was understandable why he personally didn‘t enjoy it.

Their conclusion that they would like for people to experince it for themselves but at the same time can‘t really recommend it makes also sense from reading all the reviews and hearing different podcast discussions. I myself while intrigued am at the same time put off by many things I see in videos or read and hear about regarding the gameplay loop, weak bosses, shallow story etc.

Sale. By the time it’s on sale, more players will have built shit and leave shit for you to make the game less annoying.

Kadayi

Probable Replicant & GIF PIMP
Oct 10, 2012
theconclave.net
I dropped the sub as soon as they declined to cover Kingdom Come and pretended it had nothing to do with politics when everyone knows they'd be all over that sort of 'jank' odd European PC game in any other circumstance.
Yeah, that shit was treasonous. That game absolutely called out for A Vinnie Quicklook, but no apparently it was more important for GB to side with the likes of Klepek & Austin and their woke BS versus give the game a chance it deserved. I pulled the plug on my Sub also in response.

Reactions: Ghetto_Capitalist

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
It's not hyperbolic to say Ben has immediately become annoying on the Extra Life stream. Flappin' his mouth, laughing at his own jokes. Just right back to being terrible without a care in the world.
Those are pretty funny Brap. The only times I donated were 4.20s for Dave Lang the last few years. He's hilarious and inspires me.
I'd consider donating money just to say someone needs to tell Ben to shut up for five minutes. But they'd just delete since they're afraid of the truth that he's a cancer ruining the site.

Sep 18, 2019
Upstate NY
I do like how they’re having some guests on the stream and are getting drunk and loose like the old days. They don’t do that often and it’s probably a disservice to them being cool to be around and watch beyond the typical stuff.

Pompey

Neo Member
Oct 5, 2019
In the last GB West pod Jan started off talking about changing the mic setup and did so again during the Extra Life stream. Vinny has dove deep into technical details about different cameras and how to setup the stream, even Jason has talked about this stuff. Each of them at least give the impression that they know what they are talking about and care about their main production job. I can't recall Abby ever talking about this stuff like she cared about or understood it, other than patting herself on the back for have a college degree.

Last edited:
Reactions: JovianLizards

Rei no Otaku

Jul 4, 2008
Cranston, RI
In the last GB West pod Jan started off talking about changing the mic setup and did so again during the Extra Life stream. Vinny has dove deep into technical details about different cameras and how to setup the stream, even Jason has talked about this stuff. Each of them at least give the impression that they know what they are talking about and care about their main production job. I can't recall Abby ever talking about this stuff like she cared about or understood it, other than patting herself on the back for have a college degree.
You mean her film degree? In that same Film and 40s I mentioned she had to ask who Siskel and Ebert were. I refuse to believe she has a real degree.

DangerStepp

Sep 14, 2007
You mean her film degree? In that same Film and 40s I mentioned she had to ask who Siskel and Ebert were. I refuse to believe she has a real degree.
For real?

Some things are forgivable but I feel as though there are far too many befuddled standstills at references that reveal a STARK gap where everyone has to stop and explain the most pedestrian knowledge.

It gets old and exhausting. I feel myself aging out of Giant Bomb by the day.

Last edited:

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
For real?

Some things are forgivable but I feel as though there are far too many befuddled standstills at references that reveal a STARK gap where everyone has to stop and explain the most pedestrian knowledge.

It gets old and exhausting. I feel myself aging out of Giant Bomb by the day.
I mean, that's Dan with pretty much anything that a basic human should know too though. Giant Bomb is full of people who shouldn't have progressed past the 5th grade.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019
Upstate NY
That Michael Higham guy from Gamespot makes anyone from GB sound like they've at least matured past high school in comparison.
I saw a video on Reddit of a Barstool sports guy (I give zero shits about sports or it's media) running down Deadspin about their entitlement and immaturity. That stuff is the same as root issues we see in games media. vice and kotaku proving to not be worth the investment. We'll pick our poisons and have opinions but hopefully the worst of the shit can be brought to light for broader ridicule and criticism.

rofif

Sep 13, 2019
Relistening to some goty 2018.... And I am reminded how abby disliked god because there are not enough weak women in it and the only strong woman prrotects men (her son). Fucking wtf

Reactions: JovianLizards