• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

Sep 18, 2019
Upstate NY
Relistening to some goty 2018.... And I am reminded how abby disliked god because there are not enough weak women in it and the only strong woman prrotects men (her son). Fucking wtf
She's too far out there and doesn't give a shit to hear anything contrary. I used to think criticism of her was too harsh, but after really looking at it, it's totally justified. But she's insulated from responsibility for what she's says.

Reactions: JovianLizards

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
I haven't watched much of the Extra Life content yet, but it's par for the course with Ian, Drew, and Alexis playing Indigo Prophecy and not being able to handle video game nudity or sex. Alexis was worried that they were watching the stream over at Twitch where he works and they might see him watching video game boobs. Drew was worried about seeing a lady take a shower.

The absolute horror. Adult men watching video game breasts, the most heinous crime of all time.

PalmTreeCorpse

Neo Member
Oct 5, 2019
I find it hilarious how Abby thinks she's smarter than Dan but is just as dumb or worse than he is.
I think I already mentioned it before, but I really think Dan just pretends to be dumb most of the time. Occasionally Vinny even calls him out on it.
Sometimes it's super obvious, too. He will ask a dumb question only to answer it himself in the next sentence.
It can get pretty annoying but I guess he thinks it's entertaining?

Abby on the other hand... just a bad mix of ignorance and arrogance.

I haven't watched much of the Extra Life content yet, but it's par for the course with Ian, Drew, and Alexis playing Indigo Prophecy and not being able to handle video game nudity or sex. Alexis was worried that they were watching the stream over at Twitch where he works and they might see him watching video game boobs. Drew was worried about seeing a lady take a shower.

The absolute horror. Adult men watching video game breasts, the most heinous crime of all time.
'murica, baby. The dissonance of what they pretend to want and how they actually behave is so weird. On the one hand you have #freethenipple sex positive activism that claims everyone should be able to show their junk everywhere, on the other hand the most prudish people on earth flinching and squirming when they see a goddamn tit. It's basically a woke Mario Party Party: nobody wins.

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
Here are some other things Abby has said recently.

"Who?" (Tony Danza)
"The guy from the Matrix" (Keanu Reeves)
"Who?" (Jean-Claude Van Damme)
"Who?" (Christopher Lee)
"Who?" (Peggy Bundy)
You'd be better off compiling a list of things she had heard of. I imagine it would be pretty short.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Here are some other things Abby has said recently.

"Who?" (Tony Danza)
"The guy from the Matrix" (Keanu Reeves)
"Who?" (Jean-Claude Van Damme)
"Who?" (Christopher Lee)
"Who?" (Peggy Bundy)
Man, the Christopher Lee one hurts me, I just watched Rifftrax's riff of City of The Dead and I love all those old cheesy horror movies with him in them.

Last edited:

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
I think I already mentioned it before, but I really think Dan just pretends to be dumb most of the time. Occasionally Vinny even calls him out on it.
Sometimes it's super obvious, too. He will ask a dumb question only to answer it himself in the next sentence.
It can get pretty annoying but I guess he thinks it's entertaining?

Abby on the other hand... just a bad mix of ignorance and arrogance.

'murica, baby. The dissonance of what they pretend to want and how they actually behave is so weird. On the one hand you have #freethenipple sex positive activism that claims everyone should be able to show their junk everywhere, on the other hand the most prudish people on earth flinching and squirming when they see a goddamn tit. It's basically a woke Mario Party Party: nobody wins.
I think Dan is really just super willfully ignorant about various things, yeah, and it comes across as him being dumb. He didn't get to where he is now by being stupid, he's ten times more successful than Abby.

Yeah, It's so weird in America right now, you better not slut shame and you better be sex positive, but you better not like 2B's butt or naughty Anime games.

Sep 18, 2019
Upstate NY
I find it hilarious how Abby thinks she's smarter than Dan but is just as dumb or worse than he is.
On the Beascast she quickly addressed being wrong about not understanding her Disco Alysium build. But went off that she won’t condone racism or “cater” to “that” crowd. So not really addressing anything and reiterating that her feminist screeching is justified.
How much of the audience that falls anywhere to the right of her politics does that alienate and also send the message that she doesn’t want them? That’s just bad business. But she wouldn’t know a damn thing about being responsible for that.
You got Dan who brings in celebrities and fresh ideas who is treated like a fool when her or Alex could never stack up to him.
So, sure, turn away subscribers and talk down to one of the best employees if Jeff is fine dying on that hill ...

Sep 18, 2019
Upstate NY
"Racism" and "that" crowd. What does that even mean?
1 hour 10 minutes in. She admits her take about Disco Elysium being sexist because of a single character reaction was due to her character build.
BUT she doesn’t condone sexist or racist writing or cater to anyone that wants to “live out that fantasy” of playing it.
It’s not for her, ok. But it comes back around to her painting it and the people that may enjoy it with a broad brush of enabling bad things. It’s a weak argument beyond ‘my feelings. My beliefs’.

BarmyDodger

Neo Member
Aug 15, 2018
1 hour 10 minutes in. She admits her take about Disco Elysium being sexist because of a single character reaction was due to her character build.
BUT she doesn’t condone sexist or racist writing or cater to anyone that wants to “live out that fantasy” of playing it.
It’s not for her, ok. But it comes back around to her painting it and the people that may enjoy it with a broad brush of enabling bad things. It’s a weak argument beyond ‘my feelings. My beliefs’.
What I've heard about that game is that it treats all sorts of different views and beliefs with
From what I heard of that game it sounds like it has open disdain for all extreme viewpoints.

BarmyDodger

Neo Member
Aug 15, 2018
What I’ve heard of that game is that it has open disdain for all extreme viewpoints.

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
So a non apology then. Some people just cant admit they're ever wrong or made a mistake I guess. That attitude probably affects all of giantbomb though. Only reason besides sympathy for not firing Ben and Abby for sheer incompetence.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghetto_Capitalist

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
So a non apology then. Some people just cant admit they're ever wrong or made a mistake I guess. That attitude probably affects all of giantbomb though. Only reason besides sympathy for not firing Ben and Abby for sheer incompetence.
There’s also the fact that they’d be petrified of the SJW backlash if they let her go. I mean, that’s why they hired her in the first place.

She could slit a kitten’s throat on camera and eat the corpse, but if they fired her for that, internet hellfire would rain down upon them and they know it.

Which is why she is untouchable and can be employed despite knowing fuck all about her job.

Reactions: JovianLizards

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
There’s also the fact that they’d be petrified of the SJW backlash if they let her go. I mean, that’s why they hired her in the first place.

She could slit a kitten’s throat on camera and eat the corpse, but if they fired her for that, internet hellfire would rain down upon them and they know it.

Which is why she is untouchable and can be employed despite knowing fuck all about her job.
True, but what about Ben? Even alot of the crowd that likes Abby for whatever reason thinks he's useless.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
It really is pathological with her isn't it? She never learns.

I cannot wait for this years GOTY discussions. It's gonna be fun to try and predict what completely innocuous games she's gonna find problematic.

Reactions: Ghetto_Capitalist

Pompey

Neo Member
Oct 5, 2019
True, but what about Ben? Even alot of the crowd that likes Abby for whatever reason thinks he's useless.

They have more than enough evidence to fire Ben tomorrow. He could walk in and find someone from CBSi HR, Jeff, and Business Dave waiting for him.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Most of them go into bat for him too. He says all the right NPC words, he whines about the “right” things, he cancels the “right” people. He’s an “ally”. Therefore, he’s also protected by the woke crowd too. I’ve seen them defend him,

Of course, they’ll chuck him under the bus if they have to choose because vagina always beats penis in a game of Woke Chess.

TL/DR: He’s also protected, but not as much.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Oh good... Mount Your Friends... because we needed more of this game on the site.

Also, good grief, that Polygon list of the 100 Best Games Of The Decade...

Last edited:

ElKabong

Sep 29, 2019
Of course, they’ll chuck him under the bus if they have to choose because vagina always beats penis in a game of Woke Chess.
I think the only chance we got is his health problems. I don't know what disease he's got but he's often on "vacation" for surgeries and such, so it's gotta be somewhat serious. Maybe it gets serious enough that he has to quit.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
I think the only chance we got is his health problems. I don't know what disease he's got but he's often on "vacation" for surgeries and such, so it's gotta be somewhat serious. Maybe it gets serious enough that he has to quit.
I don’t wish bad health on him.

It’s probably Gigantism or Dr. Frankenstein has to sew on another limb.

Reactions: Evil Calvin

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Hahaha, man, I'm watching the East coast Extra Life stream and Abby is dressed like someone's Grandma.

She looks so frumpy I almost feel bad for her. She's a proud Cat Mom, God bless her.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019

He has Marfan Syndrome. It makes you super tall and messes with the connective tissue in your body. Also, He has had feet and heart problems and surgeries for both I think. Also his apartment burned down.

I think God is annoyed with him too.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Oh God, Abby just said "What's the Union Jack?" where I'm watching right now.

How does a College educated person not know that?

drganon

Sep 20, 2019

Same here.I have no ill will toward him, I just wish he'd get another job or one at GB where he didnt have to be on camera.

Reactions: Scopa
Aug 24, 2012
Jesus dude.

KingMoron

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2018
Ben is actively ruining the site. He's devoid of personality and painfully unfunny. It's very telling that their content was noticeably better in Ben's absence. He just fucking sucks at this and needs to move on.
If Ben and Abby were locked in cages and trapped in a zoo, they'd still be the 2 least fuckable mammals in that zoo.

• LOL
Reactions: Scopa

Pompey

Neo Member
Oct 5, 2019
After watching the Extra Life stuff I don't think getting rid of Ben or Abby would be enough. Dan needs to start his own channel where the rest of the GB crew can't hold him down.

O-N-E

Jul 11, 2018
Kessler was the only post-Drew intern that ever felt like he fit in with the crew (as the comical screw-up).

Last edited:

chillinggamers_

Neo Member
Feb 12, 2018
So, I got around to listening to the beastcast about Death Stranding. I’m so glad Dan was upfront about his feelings. Also, Abby describing her feelings about Red Dead Online was a chore to listen to.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I keep forgetting that Asura's Wrath is a series they have on the site. What a bummer it is that it's Ben and Jason. Like....WHY??? How many times has Brad brought up wanting to go back to that game over the years? He brings it up at least every few months. Why isn't it Brad playing it, or even at least in the episode at all?!

Sep 18, 2019
Upstate NY
I was impressed with Will Smith holding down 25 hours straight and he could of kept going.
I respect that Dan can fanboy boy for Kojima but still criticize and not enjoy DS. He gives thought to why. The same with Red Dead, he can have a changing critical and personal opinion.
Where Abby is totally weak is that she can’t see past her own beliefs to give anything a proper look. She doesn’t even try to get to know some games or see them through. If it’s “sexist” or whatever, she writes it off. But something like Dream Daddy is soooo amazing for those very same things.
I still find her more enjoyable to watch than Alex who is constantly “no no no. Don’t say that. Stop”. She’s still a willfully dumb child. And unlike her I can accept the bad and move on with things - something a “professional” especially a critic would be better served being able to do.

Reactions: chillinggamers_

brap

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2018
I keep forgetting that Asura's Wrath is a series they have on the site. What a bummer it is that it's Ben and Jason. Like....WHY??? How many times has Brad brought up wanting to go back to that game over the years? He brings it up at least every few months. Why isn't it Brad playing it, or even at least in the episode at all?!
jason is the animu expert though
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck i loooooooooooovvvvvvveeeeeeee anime ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh its soooooooooooo gooooooooooooooood

Reactions: KingMoron