• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

DangerStepp

Sep 14, 2007
I think a fair bet is giant bomb announces closing by March 2021 (end of first quarter). Most staff departures have been announced at the end of the year sometimes even in the goty podcast (Patrick, Austin, dan).

I don’t get this conspiracy that they have already been laid off. It’s not like they are signing contracts with cbs. If it was determined they had to go I don’t think they would keep them through the year. They would give them maybe a few weeks warning at best. Plus if Jeff had warning that they would be gone wouldn’t he just announce it and give the site a nice send off with retrospectives and such. Sure covid is a problem but you could still have some fun podcasts and maybe even a final week long live-streaming marathon to end the site. Go out in style.

I continue to think the site hangs on into 2021. The subscription model probably does fine for them and cbsi probably doesn’t want Jeff to get poached by another outlet. That’s why they bought GB back in the first place. All the value is in Jeff.
If there's anything I've gleaned from the years of exposure to Jeff Gerstmann it's that he is not a sentimental man.

Retrospectives, look backs, and stories about the golden days wouldn't happen; Jeff would point you to the old content if you want to see that stuff.

Javthusiast

Mar 20, 2017
I am afraid that the Abby/Ben simps, and people who still think the old ass krusty crew is producing good content, will fund this shit through to 2024 even without cbs support. xD

vip3r

Neo Member
Aug 22, 2020
If there's anything I've gleaned from the years of exposure to Jeff Gerstmann it's that he is not a sentimental man.

Retrospectives, look backs, and stories about the golden days wouldn't happen; Jeff would point you to the old content if you want to see that stuff.
And then he’ll have a podcast where they talk about the same gamespot stories from 20 years ago week after week. He loves talking about himself he’s just too lazy to set up real retrospectives.

Reactions: eot

Mushoomba

Formerly '_MushroomSamba_'
Aug 15, 2020
Could you imagine the kind of people that would pay for solo Patreons from Alex, Ben, Abby, Brad, Jan, or Jason? They would probably line up pretty well with sex offender registries. Yikes, dawg.
I was thinking Abby solo could probably make some good Patreon money from all the Simpaneros that are constantly kissing her ass, but then I reminded myself of how she did videos for free and even those weren't successful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crumslor
Sep 7, 2011
Could you imagine the kind of people that would pay for solo Patreons from Alex, Ben, Abby, Brad, Jan, or Jason? They would probably line up pretty well with sex offender registries. Yikes, dawg.
I don't really get the hate for Jan. He likes hip hop, Pokemon, wrestling and even old games like The Bouncer. I don't think he's terrible at video games either, he's better than me at Tony Hawk. :messenger_hushed:

I'm not saying I would pay for a patreon because I don't support any patreons, I only sub gb for $35 a year so there's no way I'm giving any one person $5 a month or more. I just think he seems a lot like Jeff just with more current knowledge of pop culture.

So what's the beef guys?

Reactions: Mushoomba

brap

Jan 9, 2018
I don't really get the hate for Jan. He likes hip hop, Pokemon, wrestling and even old games like The Bouncer. I don't think he's terrible at video games either, he's better than me at Tony Hawk. :messenger_hushed:

I'm not saying I would pay for a patreon because I don't support any patreons, I only sub gb for $35 a year so there's no way I'm giving any one person $5 a month or more. I just think he seems a lot like Jeff just with more current knowledge of pop culture.

So what's the beef guys?
He's annoying as fuck. Dude bro like dude like fucking pokemon dude. Like shut the fuck up goddamn. Fuck you and fuck pokemon.

vip3r

Neo Member
Aug 22, 2020

So what's the beef guys?
-He virtue signals left and right
- He talks about Pokémon nonstop
- His pop culture knowledge and knowledge of anything seems very shallow anytime he’s pressed
- He does nothing but agree with anyone that’s speaking
- His thoughts on games are simply rehashes of things he’s heard Jeff say before (“it’s a good one of those” or “super charming”)
- He feels the need to have a facial reaction to every statement on the podcast like he’s in a musical/play
I could really go on.

Harts316

Jun 11, 2020
He's annoying as fuck. Dude bro like dude like fucking pokemon dude. Like shut the fuck up goddamn. Fuck you and fuck pokemon.
if you’re paid to cover games, would it kill any of these people to try playing something different and outside their comfort zone?

Reactions: brap and vip3r

vip3r

Neo Member
Aug 22, 2020
- His pop culture knowledge and knowledge of anything seems very shallow anytime he’s pressed
- His thoughts on games are simply rehashes of things he’s heard Jeff say before (“it’s a good one of those” or “super charming”)
- He feels the need to have a facial reaction to every statement on the podcast like he’s in a musical/play
I could really go on.
Also production has sucked since he started.
Also he enables Ben.
Also his mustache is stupid

Mushoomba

Aug 15, 2020
He's fine compared to the other two recent hires and has actually done some decent production job when they were in the studio, adding things people were asking or fixing shit Jason didn't do.
The problem is he hangs out too much with Ben and Michael Higham from Gamespot (the annoying Bombcast guest everybody complained about). All of his "dude bro like shout out" mannerisms come from Michael Higam and sound almost the same. He also went from referring to his girlfriend as "my girlfriend" and started saying "my partner" because of Ben. He has a bunch of interests in common with Jeff but for some reason they keep pairing Jan with Ben or making him talk about Pokemon way too much.

He's not great, but he isn't that annoying either. He's just there. At least he knows when it's time to shut up and do the production work behind the scenes, a basic thing that seems impossible to Abby (who's on the exact same position but on the East office).

Reactions: CancelYourSubs

Mushoomba

Aug 15, 2020
Tbf, production has pretty much sucked since Drew left. And even before that Giant Bomb's production has never been good.

On East the contrast between cameras is always fucked, everything is over-exposed and the lights in the studio seem to be pointed at random places. Their audio has no dynamic range whatsoever, is too compressed, and despite having two producers on the team none of them takes their time to EQ the microphones for the voice of each person. The audio is constantly peaking and sometimes I wonder if it's because Vinny's colorblind and can't see the reds on the audio levels or if him and Abby are just deaf.

On West, the audio on the UPF studio is complete garbage and only got worse since they got the table. Lights are everywhere to fill any kind of dark spot on the studio and everything looks flat. Cameras on the podcast studio are crooked half of the time, with usually at least one out of focus or with some weird digital noise. For some reason you always see Jason or Jan fix the cameras on that room before the Bombcast starts. What the hell are they doing on that room between episodes that gets cameras out of place every time. At least the audio is decent to good in that room. The Bombcast or anything they record there seems to be the only Giant Bomb content with acceptable audio.

Then there's the atrocious bitrate on any of their recordings. As soon as anything moves on a videogame they're playing, everything gets so smeared and unsharpened that I almost think my eyes are fucked. And if they're playing anything with too much grass then it's just like looking at a blob of pixels.

Last edited:

Toaster man

Jul 16, 2020
I could really go on.
Replace Pokémon with fighting games and you have described Jason too btw.

frostyxc

Mar 30, 2012
Seattle
frostyxc.tumblr.com

So what's the beef guys?
I don't have that big of a problem with Jan. My criticisms of him are that his weebness swerves into creepy territory too often, and him talking like he's entrenched in hip-hop culture and not the kid of square Filipino parents is pathetic. To be fair to Jan, talking like a hip-hop impresario seems to be endemic in Filipino-American culture these days. I think it's to compensate for their parents being square nurses and being Asians who are not fetishized like the Japanese or Koreans. Why did I just spend five minutes writing about Jan? Ick, dawg!

Tbf, production has pretty much sucked since Drew left. And even before that Giant Bomb's production has never been good.

On East the contrast between cameras is always fucked, everything is over-exposed and the lights in the studio seem to be pointed at random places. Their audio has no dynamic range whatsoever, is too compressed, and despite having two producers on the team none of them takes their time to EQ the microphones for the voice of each person. The audio is constantly peaking and sometimes I wonder if it's because Vinny's colorblind and can't see the reds on the audio levels or if him and Abby are just deaf.

On West, the audio on the UPF studio is complete garbage and only got worse since they got the table. Lights are everywhere to fill any kind of dark spot on the studio and everything looks flat. Cameras on the podcast studio are crooked half of the time, with usually at least one out of focus or with some weird digital noise. For some reason you always see Jason or Jan fix the cameras on that room before the Bombcast starts. What the hell are they doing on that room between episodes that gets cameras out of place every time. At least the audio is decent to good in that room. The Bombcast or anything they record there seems to be the only Giant Bomb content with acceptable audio.

Then there's the atrocious bitrate on any of their recordings. As soon as anything moves on a videogame they're playing, everything gets so smeared and unsharpened that I almost think my eyes are fucked. And if they're playing anything with too much grass then it's just like looking at a blob of pixels.
You can't say Giant Bomb without wistfully stumbling down memory lane and thinking about easily remedied audio problems that are never fixed. Vinny, Abby, and Jason (and Drew when he was around) are still new to this after many years, guys. Give them a break! What are wireless mics? Oh, you can't figure out how to negotiate something as simple as radio channels? Okay, then it's probably best to have your staff and guests constantly tripping over XLR cables. Here's an idea: If you're going to tether your on-camera hosts to XLR cables, maybe have a setup that doesn't require constant shifting around, huh? Or do what the East does and just have studio mics set up. Letting Jason be in control of any equipment is just baffling, though. Every stream he is in charge of seems like the first time he's ever touched the equipment. Are we sure Giant Bomb isn't actually a department in the state or federal government?

Ogrebushi

Neo Member
Jun 3, 2019
Also he enables Ben.
Also his mustache is stupid
I dont think i'm as down on Jan compared to Ben and Abby, but then again he may have gotten worse since my attention has waned.
Personally i just think its not that Jan's bad, but the fact that, yes he can be relied to give you a pokemon story (which is occationally useful for review purposes)
and wasnt he also somewhat into fighting games which gave that.... but the thing is now that brad is "on assignment" or completely checked out the rest of the time
Jeff is just as disinterest in actual games, its painful when the only games really talked about is from the non-review oriented producer and its only ever pokemon

Reactions: vip3r

bender

Bending Rodríguez (22, 1,729)
Apr 12, 2010

So what's the beef guys?
I don't really hate anyone but I'd sum up Jan, Ben, Jason, Brad and Jeff (most of the time) as having very subdued personalities which makes it hard for them to play off of one another. It would be like if a sports broadcasting booth didn't feature a color commentator. Jeff has his moments of bombast but when Rorie is your most energetic personality, it's going to be hard to keep me entertained for the average length of their content. Vinny and Alex have a similar issue on the east coast but I've always find Vinny endearing.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Aw fellers, you're all invited. jan said the poke party was going to be fire, and something about a gang gang and going to squirtle everyone's geodude. So I doubt there will be much sleep! Oh and bring mayo if you have any cause jans gonna cook.

• Triggered
Reactions: brap

O-N-E

Jul 11, 2018
Jan seems devoid of an identity. He's just like, whatever.

Really bad at quick looks too.

It's like what if you made a worse and more boring (somehow) Brad. That's Jan.

Jun 26, 2020

Doesn't he have a basement filled with video game related junk and garbage?

Jan seems devoid of an identity. He's just like, whatever.

Really bad at quick looks too.

It's like what if you made a worse and more boring (somehow) Brad. That's Jan.
the word you're looking for is fake. that dude is fake as fuck. yet, he's somehow still not as bad as that cunt.

Sep 7, 2011
From what I remember Ben kept saying some word in videos (maybe around GOTY time) and then business Dave put Ben saying whatever word or phrase it was in the top 10 and it upset Ben.

Is that right, vip3r or was it something else?

I'm thinking of Ben repeatedly saying SamSho.

Business Dave talks about it here at 3:40

So, it was the 8/2/2019 UPF.

Last edited:

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
From what I remember Ben kept saying some word in videos (maybe around GOTY time) and then business Dave put Ben saying whatever word or phrase it was in the top 10 and it upset Ben.

Is that right, vip3r or was it something else?
If that's all it took to upset him, that sadly doesn't surprise me. Ben at least has enthusiasm for games, I'll give him that much. That's more than I can say for Abby.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020
If that's all it took to upset him, that sadly doesn't surprise me. Ben at least has enthusiasm for games, I'll give him that much. That's more than I can say for Abby.
What can you say about her love for The Sims and dropping like $700+ on a horrendous DLC model? Besides the fact that Jeff has to hold back on shitting on it everytime it's brought up in his presence

Sep 7, 2011
No. It has male DNA. Man dressed up as a woman.
I guess I need to start adding /s to posts so people know they're tongue and cheek.

Xcloud comes out tomorrow, I'm excited. I hope Jeff B demos it since I know no one from actual GB will, Abby doesn't even know what it is.

Sep 7, 2011
I updated my post. I was thinking of Ben saying SamSho and Dave making fun of him for it on the 8/2/2019 UPF.

Dave talked about it briefly in his GOTY video which is on YouTube so I included that in my post.

We'll have to see if that's what vip3r was talking about or not.

Javthusiast

Mar 20, 2017
Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Aug 23, 2017
I guess I need to start adding /s to posts so people know they're tongue and cheek.

Xcloud comes out tomorrow, I'm excited. I hope Jeff B demos it since I know no one from actual GB will, Abby doesn't even know what it is.
No problem.

Abby also didn't know that (as of a couple weeks ago) that there were no release dates or prices for the new consoles. Pretty important info to not have a clue about.

frostyxc

Mar 30, 2012
Seattle
frostyxc.tumblr.com

Hope this does something positive for Giant Bomb's direction and if not gets them finally fired and the site shut down.
Goodbye to the least pathetic person on the Beastcast, I guess.

Nov 15, 2016
USA

Hope this does something positive for Giant Bomb's direction and if not gets them finally fired and the site shut down.
I understand wanting a change in direction/not being happy with the current state of the site, but I truly don't understand wishing for the whole thing to be shut down. If you truly feel that way then why keep watching/engaging with their content? It comes across a little vindictive to me.

I am pretty curious myself if/how this will affect their operations. I think the site is definitely on decline but I ended my premium long ago, it doesn't do me any good to see someone else lose their job.

Cheesewheel

Jun 16, 2013

And of course Jeff's comments on the sale aren't on the giantbomb website... you gotta find it through his blog.

Speaking of shithouse communication, I'm gonna assume Vinny's update thread has been abandoned just like the newsletter

Where does it say GB was included? Not saying you're lying, I just don't see it anywhere.
"Anyway, we’re part of the sale, in case there was any question around that."