• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

O-N-E

Jul 11, 2018
jason is the animu expert though
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck i loooooooooooovvvvvvveeeeeeee anime ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh its soooooooooooo gooooooooooooooood
I don't believe him.

ElKabong

Sep 29, 2019
Vinny watching Gremlins 2, where an Asian guy is taking a lot of photographs: "That's some RACISM right there!"

Are stereotypes racism now? When did that happen? Is that a California woke thing? I'm Swedish, am I expected to be offended by viking helmets?

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: JovianLizards

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
Vinny watching Gremlins 2, where an Asian guy is taking a lot of photographs: "That's some RACISM right there!"

Are stereotypes racism now? When did that happen? Is that a California woke thing? I'm Swedish, am I expected to be offended by viking helmets?
Vinny used to be alot cooler, but he got old and woke.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014

pretty much. Here in America, stereotypes=Racism. If you say anything that offends anyone for any reason, you are a racist. And being a “racist” is literally the worst thing any human has ever done in the history of the world. Period.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind

pretty much. Here in America, stereotypes=Racism. If you say anything that offends anyone for any reason, you are a racist. And being a “racist” is literally the worst thing any human has ever done in the history of the world. Period.
And yet the Giant Bomb East crew regularly make fun of Italian-Americans and the stereotype of how they speak with reckless abandon. Interesting.

Why do you let that one slide without comment, Vinny? You spineless, limp-wristed embarrassment of a man.

ElKabong

Sep 29, 2019
And yet the Giant Bomb East crew regularly make fun of Italian-Americans and the stereotype of how they speak with reckless abandon. Interesting.

Why do you let that one slide without comment, Vinny? You spineless, limp-wristed embarrassment of a man.
Yeah, I never thought about it like that. Alex has done the Italian new yorker thing dozens of times. Although, I've gotta admit the "wops" thing was very funny (they were talking about Burger King whoppers and Alex said something like "all these wops").

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014
Watching the Death Stranding QL, my god does Alex do things by the book, Vinny asks him to look at or try stuff and immediately its "No, maybe later I just wanna get here" , keep in mind, he's finished and reviewed the game! Have some fun with it!

eot

Apr 13, 2012
So Abby doesn't think games should even portray sexism? But I guess games that let you murder in cold blood are fine.

Also, who the hell thinks that thighs parallel to the ground is a deep squat??

chillinggamers_

Neo Member
Feb 12, 2018
So Abby doesn't think games should even portray sexism? But I guess games that let you murder in cold blood are fine.

Also, who the hell thinks that thighs parallel to the ground is a deep squat??

Every time that she speaks it’s like shes the female version of Old Dan. But Dan kept it mostly as a work not a shoot brother.

Last edited:

Benjamin_MFF

Jun 22, 2008
I was listening to the new Bombcast this morning and just when Jeff was going to talk about the Star Wars games that EA was working on after the Amy Hennig game and Ben bursts in with flat one liners about Star Wars, completely stopping Jeff in his tracks. Ben continues to mumble on when no one reacts and they just change the topic, I for one was interested in Jeff's thoughts on EA and Star Wars games. Can't wait for more Ben-less Bombcasts.

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
I was listening to the new Bombcast this morning and just when Jeff was going to talk about the Star Wars games that EA was working on after the Amy Hennig game and Ben bursts in with flat one liners about Star Wars, completely stopping Jeff in his tracks. Ben continues to mumble on when no one reacts and they just change the topic, I for one was interested in Jeff's thoughts on EA and Star Wars games. Can't wait for more Ben-less Bombcasts.
I blame Brad for that. A good host would tell someone like Ben to shut up and put a stop to his nonsense. That or Jeff stand up for himself and not be talked over by the guy who used to get coffee.

On another note, is Ben that stupid that he's not getting the social hints that nobody likes his terrible jokes or that interrupting people is poor manners? How thick headed can one person be?

TexMex

Aug 30, 2019
He was making some awful kart racer joke that just went on and on and went no where and just absolute deafening silence.

DangerStepp

Sep 14, 2007
This would have to be the biggest gripe I have about this dude.

The worst part is that it happens on nearly every video/audio feature the west coast puts out.

He's an assassin of interesting topics with a flawless kill streak.

Evil Calvin

Aug 23, 2017
Jeff wrote all three of those reviews which is kinda weird lol. Don't get me wrong I still like reading his reviews, he's still got it in writing.

It's just odd that no one else did any and he knocked out three reviews like nothing.
I still don't know what these guys do all week? There are, what, 12 employees on Bomb and Beastcast? A handful of Quicklooks a week and some premium content. That is a lot of employees to not produce a constant stream of videos and next to nothing for reviews, previews etc.......

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Aug 23, 2017
That's probably the smart thing to do. Hearing their impressions of Death Stranding, and then making excuses for it because it's Kojima is kinda baffling. Any other game would be reemed to hell and back. And they do dig into it very hard, rightly so, but then circle back around to "I respect the hell out of it because it's something different." I just think people should stick by their guns and call a spade a spade. Dan actually does which is great, everyone else is super wishy washy about it.

Then hearing Abby double down on Disco Elysium and making fun of it because "oh isn't woke culture dumb? haha!"... Why yes Abby, it is. Its stupid, and it's making fun of you, that's why you don't like it.
Kind of glad Dan wasn't gushing over DS and Kojima. At least he said what he felt (although he didn't go into a ton of detail)

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014
I still don't know what these guys do all week? There are, what, 12 employees on Bomb and Beastcast? A handful of Quicklooks a week and some premium content. That is a lot of employees to not produce a constant stream of videos and next to nothing for reviews, previews etc.......

Go ask on the subreddit ;)

I'll have to find it and it's out of date now, but I once broke down how much time they had over a month long period compared to output, it was amazing to me how much they had left

Reactions: Evil Calvin

Evil Calvin

Aug 23, 2017

Yep. It's 2019.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Go ask on the subreddit ;)

I'll have to find it and it's out of date now, but I once broke down how much time they had over a month long period compared to output, it was amazing to me how much they had left
Yeah, I did the same thing like a year or two ago. I will say East puts out like at least quadruple the amount of content that West does, with half the people on a weekly basis. Too bad that East is basically 95% Abby talking over everyone and has an opinion on everything despite not knowing literally anything. I think I counted 4 "what's that?" in the Early/Late Death Stranding video alone. She DOMINATES the entire video even though Alex is the one playing and Dan is the one's opinion that every one wants to hear more than anything else.

ElKabong

Sep 29, 2019
Watching the Death Stranding QL, my god does Alex do things by the book, Vinny asks him to look at or try stuff and immediately its "No, maybe later I just wanna get here" , keep in mind, he's finished and reviewed the game! Have some fun with it!
Yep, that's Alex. The wettest blanket in the world. During "Steal My Sunshine" he immediately wanted to give up and do something else every time there was the slightest challenge.

Reactions: BibleBLACKED

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Yep, that's Alex. The wettest blanket in the world. During "Steal My Sunshine" he immediately wanted to give up and do something else every time there was the slightest challenge.
To be fair, Mario Sunshine is the worst Mario game of all time, hands down, bar-none. I too would throw a fit if I was forced to place that piece of garbage.
Although I do like Alex a lot more than most here, I have seen more of that negative attitude seeping into content. A few good discussions have been curbed by him wanting to move on... but then again, he also stops all the poop talk, which I appreciate. I swear, I don’t know anyone, children included that talk about poop and pee and farts more than The Beastcast. It’s like they are all perpetually 5 years old.

Last edited:

TheSadRanger

Sep 5, 2013
Mckinney,TX
At his core I think Jeff likes working and doing reviews which is why he gets a sudden urge to churn out a bunch of reviews like it's nothing. I'm not gonna lie but outside of Jeff and Ryan I always thought the rest of em were kinda lazy with the exception of Dave Snider but he wasn't really a personality.

There's some old gamespot footage somewhere where Alex is bitching about having to a review on Robocop for Xbox and Jeff is telling him to "get it done". :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ElKabong

Sep 29, 2019
Also, two "engineers" on the west coast and the audio has been dog shit for years, and they still don't hear it or do anything to improve it. I mean, listen to Jeff on any UPF. There's a booming bassy echo that makes your ears bleed. I swear Jan and Jason are partially deaf.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
The Death Stranding Early Impressions is nearly impossible thanks to Abby, who won’t shut the hell up. Like, wow, SHUT THE HELL UP!!! I can’t imagine watching a movie with her around. It’s so infuriating.
I'm watching this now and, yeah, she just has be on a recording that she cares nothing about. Just like the WWE quick look, she drags the whole thing down by constantly being dismissive.

Reactions: BibleBLACKED

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Alex doesn't do fun.

He seems to be constantly depressed. He's like Ted Striker from Airplane, everyone around him must want to kill themselves.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Talking about how unfunny Ben is, somebody posted his Blog on here, and yowza is it bad. His whole shtick in life seems to be "hahaha, isn't it so funny how I'm tall?"

Also, most of his humor has to be ironic or sarcastic and it's insufferable.

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
Talking about how unfunny Ben is, somebody posted his Blog on here, and yowza is it bad. His whole shtick in life seems to be "hahaha, isn't it so funny how I'm tall?"

Also, most of his humor has to be ironic or sarcastic and it's insufferable.
I do imagine being that tall would be a pain in the ass sometimes, but after a while you'd get used to it and it wouldn't be as big a deal, no pun intended.

As for his humor, I'd just classify it as being bad and unfunny. To the point someone really needs to take him aside and tell him how unfunny he is.

Last edited:

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
It's pretty funny hearing Dan be so positive about Death Stranding on that early/late impressions video and then pull a hard 180 on it. The opening seems pretty neat but it's pretty shocking to me that Kojima really did just make a walking/delivery simulator with some flashy style.

Is Alex the only one who's gonna have finished it by GOTY discussions? Has anybody else there finished it? I haven't kept up with the Podcast discussions.

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014
It's pretty funny hearing Dan be so positive about Death Stranding on that early/late impressions video and then pull a hard 180 on it. The opening seems pretty neat but it's pretty shocking to me that Kojima really did just make a walking/delivery simulator with some flashy style.

Is Alex the only one who's gonna have finished it by GOTY discussions? Has anybody else there finished it? I haven't kept up with the Podcast discussions.
Vinny finished it as well according to the ql

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Vinny finished it as well according to the ql
Yeah, Vinny and Alex both finished it and Brad said he wants to finish it (for what that is worth). The rest have no desire to finish it, and I don't blame them, you see the entire game in those several hours of gameplay other than the cutscenes (why would they devote that much time to a single two star reviewed game is beyond me)

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014
Yeah, Vinny and Alex both finished it and Brad said he wants to finish it (for what that is worth). The rest have no desire to finish it, and I don't blame them, you see the entire game in those several hours of gameplay other than the cutscenes (why would they devote that much time to a single two star reviewed game is beyond me)

Probably the biggest release of the year tbf

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
It's not like they were doing much anyway. The west coast in particular is about as productive as your average sloth.

Ogrebushi

Neo Member
Jun 3, 2019
Damn you all i used to be able to ignore ben but now after all the complaints about him and having a few weeks without on the podcast all i can hear now is his dumbass interupting everything like he has something to say .... then stumbles around a bunch of words till he gets something pointless out that derailed everything. Hes starting to overtake abby on podcast annoyance levels (the only content i actually consume of theirs to have something to listen to at work)

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Damn you all i used to be able to ignore ben but now after all the complaints about him and having a few weeks without on the podcast all i can hear now is his dumbass interupting everything like he has something to say .... then stumbles around a bunch of words till he gets something pointless out that derailed everything. Hes starting to overtake abby on podcast annoyance levels (the only content i actually consume of theirs to have something to listen to at work)

• LOL
Reactions: brap