• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

Sep 7, 2011
I really appreciated the honesty on this weeks Beastcast. Alex is a good dude. The way they all reacted to his full name was cuteness overload.

CancelYourSubs

Neo Member
Jul 13, 2020
The way they all reacted to his full name was cuteness overload.
It was almost a fun moment, except I've heard Alex tell them all his full name more than once on the Beastcast. He even crowdsourced a tweet before the podcast finished that proved it even happened on twitter.

I expected this from Abby, but it was kinda weird that neither Vinny nor Jeff remembered that. They're old I guess, and Abby remains chronically dim-witted.

Reactions: Mushoomba

Evil Calvin

Aug 23, 2017
I think it's strange that the crew has nothing to say of the Sims DLC model. They've shit on other games for far less.
They are either afraid to criticize her (although Jeff B did a few weeks back) or don't care about her. You would think she would get the hint and leave but she won't. She gets paid to good to do nothing. No other videogame site would hire her because she bring so little knowledge to the table (unless a woke site like Waypoint) and she knows she wouldn't get as good a job anywhere else. They are also afraid to fire her since she is female and gay. Even if she sucked and they needed to downsize, HR would be afraid of a lawsuit. I hate when people get fired/ called out and shout that's it's because (insert race here), or (insert gender here), or (insert sexual preference here), or (insert gender preference here) instead of them just sucking!

Mushoomba

Aug 15, 2020
They are either afraid to criticize her (although Jeff B did a few weeks back) or don't care about her. You would think she would get the hint and leave but she won't. She gets paid to good to do nothing. No other videogame site would hire her because she bring so little knowledge to the table (unless a woke site like Waypoint) and she knows she wouldn't get as good a job anywhere else. They are also afraid to fire her since she is female and gay. Even if she sucked and they needed to downsize, HR would be afraid of a lawsuit. I hate when people get fired/ called out and shout that's it's because (insert race here), or (insert gender here), or (insert sexual preference here), or (insert gender preference here) instead of them just sucking!
And the worst part is she was hired as a producer but she's not even good doing production work. If at least she did a good job on that part, then she would have an excuse. There's tons of people who get hired to work on the technical aspects of cameras, lighting, streaming, etc who don't know much about the main subjects of the place they're working for, but at least they're knowledgeable about the area they're hired for and do a god job on those areas. That's not the case with Abby.

People who defend her often like to say things like "she was hired to do production work, she doesn't need to have the same knowledge as a games journalist". Well, that's true, but she isn't doing a great job as a producer either and if she doesn't have to know as much as a journalist then don't put her on the place where a journalist should be.

Sep 7, 2011
They are either afraid to criticize her (although Jeff B did a few weeks back) or don't care about her.
Did anyone else hear her talk about her 5.1 surround sound system that's actually just 1 speaker or something similar. That was infuriating. Typical woke broad having to be part of something and get her participation trophy.

whattheduck

Neo Member
Sep 17, 2020
If Trump wins this year (and I suspect he will), everyone here should join a Discord server to watch the following Bombcast live - we can all collectively cringe and howl at the sheer cope that will surely be on display.

Small Change

Jul 17, 2020
Did anyone else hear her talk about her 5.1 surround sound system that's actually just 1 speaker or something similar. That was infuriating. Typical woke broad having to be part of something and get her participation trophy.
I remember that. I think she was talking about a soundbar that advertised itself as being 5.1 and what 5.1 was had to be clarified fior her. It was mainly her and Bakalar going back and forth about it but I can't remember the specifics.

I saw the news about Cnet being sold in passing while on holiday and am just looking through the GB response. A lot of the remaining fanbase are burying their heads in the sand saying that it will all remain the same. Whether it's a negative or positive change for GB the only sure thing is that things will not be staying as they are. Things will definitely be changed. From my experience of being part of a few sales and mergers it usually takes around a year or so before the new owners make a move (unless they are going in to gut the place just to retain a brand) once all of the usual auditing and other background admin is done.

This Red Venture group seems to operate their sites exclusively out of South Carolina. Again, not American but I'm guessing that would be because it's cheaper than the coastal cities and there could be some tax incentives going on. I can honestly see the West crew be willing to make that move (isn't Brad from around there?) but Vinny moved to Jersey to be near family so he's not going anywhere. Abby and Alex seem like the kind of people who put stock in living in a city, regardless of the horrendous rent I'm sure they are forking over.

They could just get wound up or the staff will be let go in favour of people on lower wages but if there's any value in Giantbomb it's still in the staff even if that value is decreasing all the time. The best response to any big corporate move is update your resume and start talking to your network, just in case.

HoleinOne

Neo Member
Nov 22, 2018
Hold on, was that not a running joke? Because the couple of times I heard it, it sure sounded like it.

frostyxc

Mar 30, 2012
Seattle
frostyxc.tumblr.com
Hold on, was that not a running joke? Because the couple of times I heard it, it sure sounded like it.
If I remember correctly, Abby didn't understand the difference between simulated 5.1 and an actual 5.1 surround system. She argued with Bakalar about something she didn't know about (because it's Abby), and Bakalar's head was about to explode from arguing with her over it. The next week, she had her Twitter mob (and cherry-picked emails) convince her she was correct semantically, and Bakalar just gave up and apologized. The original argument wasn't a jokey back-and-forth, and I'm going to guess that Abby brings it up as some sort tech knowledge street cred. I'm also going to assume that Bakalar is praying that this sale to Red Ventures jettisons Abby into the heliosphere.

Reactions: BertleTheTurtle
Jun 26, 2020
If I remember correctly, Abby didn't understand the difference between simulated 5.1 and an actual 5.1 surround system. She argued with Bakalar about something she didn't know about (because it's Abby), and Bakalar's head was about to explode from arguing with her over it. The next week, she had her Twitter mob (and cherry-picked emails) convince her she was correct semantically, and Bakalar just gave up and apologized. The original argument wasn't a jokey back-and-forth, and I'm going to guess that Abby brings it up as some sort tech knowledge street cred. I'm also going to assume that Bakalar is praying that this sale to Red Ventures jettisons Abby into the heliosphere.
"Jeff, why do you never invite me to your COD parties with your friends?"

Toaster man

Jul 16, 2020
If Trump wins this year (and I suspect he will), everyone here should join a Discord server to watch the following Bombcast live - we can all collectively cringe and howl at the sheer cope that will surely be on display.
This likely won’t happen. (Look at the polls). But lol if it does.

• LOL
Reactions: HotPocket69
Sep 7, 2011

Seeing Dan play with a bunch of WWE guys, Ron Funches and the kid from Holes is really bizarre.

Last edited:

Harts316

Dec 9, 2012

Anyway, hopefully RedVentures can get Giant Bomb in a cleaner, less-broken state now. That’d be nice.
Developers don’t owe anything to the fans. The Giant Bomb staff should know this better than anyone. I’m sure a developer responding to criticism and explaining the complexity of making an open world game to a gaming journalist is the same as say......a game journalist explaining video production and content creation to a fan who thinks Giant Bombs output is shit.

It’s like the old Al Snow story that they’re so fond of. Unless you’ve experienced it, there’s no room to criticize.

Stupid marks.

Last edited:

whattheduck

Neo Member
Sep 17, 2020
This likely won’t happen. (Look at the polls). But lol if it does.
I find it hard to believe that the American public will vote in a party that plays hide the ball with its defense of race war-inciting rioting and looting.

The largely far-left Labour Party in the UK was predicted to be "neck and neck" with the Conservatives just hours before last December's general action was called, and then we all found out they had the greatest electoral defeat in something like 80+ years. Not saying the conditions in the US are exactly similar, but I simply don't think everday people like these ideological freaks and will vote agaisnt them when it counts.

• Strength
Reactions: Sign and Harts316

whattheduck

Neo Member
Sep 17, 2020
Who gives a fuck about giant bomb in this scenario? The world has bigger problems if he’s given four more years
Well yeah exactly - who knows how immensely upset they will be? We might see footage of Antifa alumni Alex Navarro out in the streets, smashing the property of innocent citizens because orange man reelected.

Well, probably not I guess. He will probably just stay in his apartment, playing videogames and telling everyone he knows how depressed he is.

Last edited:

Small Change

Jul 17, 2020
Why did they change the title to something that's objectively worse than "Film and Forties"? Why get their three weakest members of staff to appear on premium content? The ever deepening mystery of how Giantbomb makes the worst moves.

Reactions: TheMadMan007
Jun 26, 2020
Why did they change the title to something that's objectively worse than "Film and Forties"? Why get their three weakest members of staff to appear on premium content? The ever deepening mystery of how Giantbomb makes the worst moves.
Have you not seen the new hire appreciation threads or what? Contributing literally nothing other than a thready pulse, obesity and hot twitter takes is what the GB community wants now

• Thoughtful
Reactions: SamFo

Small Change

Jul 17, 2020
Have you not seen the new hire appreciation threads or what? Contributing literally nothing other than a thready pulse, obesity and hot twitter takes is what the GB community wants now
Ha, this comment from under the commentary track certainly points to them being a younger audience:

"Edited By RobertForster

I vaguely remember Matthew Lawrence shoving Blondie (the singer) into a giant oven in some movie. Blondie is so attractive. I think I’m in love with her tbh."

They were before my time but surely if you know that Blondie exists you know that Debbie Harry was the singer and that her name wasn't Blondie. Also isn't it forbidden to say a woman is attractive in woke circles?

Anyone want to make predictions for their take on the Microsoft Bethesda story? Jeff will take the opportunity to dump on the busted state of the Softworks games (rightfully so, they ship in horrific shape) and maybe even say that he thinks there's no value in Doom after being disappointed in Eternal. Brad will do his high pitched "what?!" multiple times while Jason and Jan nod along. Ben will lip smack his way through showing he has no idea how corporate buyouts work. They will all make allusions to just having been sold themselves.

The Beastcast will have the other hosts drowned out by "who's Todd Howard?", " who's Phil Spencer?", " what's Elder Scrolls?"

Last edited:

Billethebobbet

Neo Member
Jan 2, 2020
She said she had 5.1. Jeff said it was just a sounbar. She didn't know the difference.

She had extra speakers that attach the the system though, and it was in the end a 5.1

IDappa

Nov 20, 2018
Really enjoyed the part where Abby interupts everyone and then they apologise haha fucken crack up...... Love it..

It's not like she accidentally talks over people she genuinely starts to talk over people when they are mid sentence. I'd tell her to shut the fuck up and learn some manners if I worked there.

Toaster man

Jul 16, 2020
Ha, this comment from under the commentary track certainly points to them being a younger audience:

"Edited By RobertForster

I vaguely remember Matthew Lawrence shoving Blondie (the singer) into a giant oven in some movie. Blondie is so attractive. I think I’m in love with her tbh."

They were before my time but surely if you know that Blondie exists you know that Debbie Harry was the singer and that her name wasn't Blondie. Also isn't it forbidden to say a woman is attractive in woke circles?

Anyone want to make predictions for their take on the Microsoft Bethesda story? Jeff will take the opportunity to dump on the busted state of the Softworks games (rightfully so, they ship in horrific shape) and maybe even say that he thinks there's no value in Doom after being disappointed in Eternal. Brad will do his high pitched "what?!" multiple times while Jason and Jan nod along. Ben will lip smack his way through showing he has no idea how corporate buyouts work. They will all make allusions to just having been sold themselves.

The Beastcast will have the other hosts drowned out by "who's Todd Howard?", " who's Phil Spencer?", " what's Elder Scrolls?"
Jan and Jason will say nothing. But that’s easy to predict.

They will definitely underestimate the mass appeal fallout and elder scrolls have to a mainstream audience that primarily plays on console because they “bounced off” fallout 4 in 2015

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Aug 30, 2018
Holy cow - this thread is wild!

Why are y'all doing this to yourselves if you hate the content so much?!
It's a love hate thing

You have some people here who just hate what GB has become
Some are interested in why the changes are occurring
Some people just need something to be mad at
Some people love to hate GB these days, but they still love it

Etc etc etc.

Just a general discussion thread

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014

part of it is because most of us loved Giant Bomb for years. But the new hires have taken over something we loved and tainted it into something we absolutely hate.
The “new” hires completely and wholly ruined the site and ran it into the ground. The original staff who haven’t left the sinking ship are just so apathetic about the site and their jobs that they don’t care that people who don’t know anything about games are basically running free without restriction.

So now, we get people who don’t even know who Phil Spencer is, what a Neo Geo arcade cabinet is, what 5.1 Or Dolby Digital is, talking down to us on podcasts and content that we pay for.

We are rightly pissed about the incompetence of a single person who ruined the entire site, and we want to talk about it. But there is no where to actually talk and have conversations about it. Go to the GB chat/forums, comment of the videos, go to the sub Reddit, or even ResetEra and you are met with extreme hostility. Your voice isn’t valued if it isn’t 100% praise and positivity. If you dislike some staff member because they are incompetent, you are a sexist/racist/whatever the mob wants to label you. No questions asked. No rebuttals.

You are just told to go away, and in the most hateful way possible. They’ll rejoice in their combined hatred of you. Or you are met with the same canned verbiage and sayings. “Maybe it’s not for you” “haters gonna hate” “you just don’t get it” “username checks out”...

This is basically the only real place that you can talk about GB and have an opinion. Some people here also go extreme, some are just trolls (ignore them, it’s easy to spot).
The site has deteriorated from what it used to be. Some hold out hope, and the rest are enjoying watching it burn to the ground.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020

I paid for GB premium because I legitimately enjoyed some of the gents and the content at one point and telling me to go elsewhere because I don't like the direction it's heading in is on par for their current approach to things. "We got your money so feel free to fuck off".

With that said, I'm more invested in seeing it all burn at this point than anything they've put out all year.

Last edited:

Harts316

Dec 9, 2012

I am fascinated by it. It's like some sort of social experiment seeing how long it will take the site to implode or wither and die. They've hired woke personalities and given them reigns to the site, they ignore any constructive criticism, and have told their old fans to fuck off.

Last edited:

TheBigG753

Aug 4, 2011
Pittsburgh
Even for the aspects I don’t hate (non new hire and lazy streams) I don’t want to be limited to only positive comments like the fascists on every other gb forum.
This. I've found it impossible to have a real discussion about the site elsewhere, as even when offering up legitimate criticism it is assumed that you must have some ulterior motive (doubly so when it comes to criticism directed towards a particular staff member that they've sworn to defend).

Last edited:

Toaster man

Jul 16, 2020
Ok let’s try and throw out some positive comments on GB.

I’ll start off by just saying a lot of current problems this year have been unavoidable results of covid, and they have nowhere to go but up in 2021. Also the hotspot is pretty good.