• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

Evil Calvin

Aug 23, 2017
Honestly, Abby should just become a Twitch streamer. Simps from the GB community would help her get started on there, and more would follow naturally, especially if she plays a lot of Fortnite. I'm not even being mean-spirited, it's just a no-brainer.
Got the 'no-brain' part right!

• LOL
Reactions: Mushoomba

Billethebobbet

Neo Member
Jan 2, 2020
Weird how pretty much the only game this year that Jeff has liked without caveats, Hades, was made by a studio owned by his friend and former Gamespot colleague...
Didn't he really dislike Transistor and Pyre?

Hades is a very Jeff game, done in an inventive way.

Mushoomba

Aug 15, 2020
The latest “best of” video has a great example of how much GB has changed for the worst in just a couple of years:

there’s a part where Alex tells them his full name on the Beastcast and everyone overreacts and acts like crazy, with Abby screaming all over everyone (even though all of them already knew about his name). The video then cuts to the exact same situation when Alex mentioned his full name on an earlier Beastcast with Vinny, Dan, and Jeff B and all of them just keep the flow of the conversation going, making some jokes about it without going over the top.

One sounded like youtubers acting for the camera, the other sounded like a group of friends having a fun conversation. It’s such a drastic difference in such a small situation but it perfectly sums up how bad they’ve become.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Lemonade was a popular drink and it still is.
feels like this lemonade heard everyone enjoyed the tartness so doubled down on the sour ... than in a bid to be healthy ditched the sugar for a shitload of aspartame
That's why I enjoy a cool glass of turnip juice. On account of the lemons being haunted.

Edit: Wait, what does lemonade have to do with anything? Does Country Time sponsor GB now? Ah never mind.

Last edited:

Crumslor

Neo Member
Jul 22, 2020
So for years I only watched GB. Now that I can't stands no more, I started to look elsewhere for cool personalities in a gaming environment. I came accross Funhaus. I really like some of their videos. What I have gathered though that the quality of their videos somewhat declined after Lawrence and Bruce leaving but still good stuff. Being submitted to Abby for so long, I especially like the female coworkers there, Elyse and Alanah. Elyse actually has a sense of humour, and Alanah seems knowledgeable about games. Also they don't intentionally make themselves look as repulsive as possible and actually look *gasp* female! Do you guys know of other shows like that? Not really into podcasts, never have been.
Just wanted to say, I've been binging old Funhaus videos (and Vinesauce Vinny) and that has entirely filled the GB shaped hole in my heart (along with AdumPlaze and AdumPlazethroughs). I have more backlog now than I have time to watch everything. Thanks for the recommendations everybody!

Last edited:

Crumslor

Neo Member
Jul 22, 2020
Edit... Whoops, double post...

Honestly, Abby should just become a Twitch streamer. Simps from the GB community would help her get started on there, and more would follow naturally, especially if she plays a lot of Fortnite. I'm not even being mean-spirited, it's just a no-brainer.
I would be shocked if she plays anything besides Sims or some low-level puzzle/adventure game on her Switch after she leaves GB. I can't believe she ever would've touched most of what she's played (and not finished) if it wasn't "her job."

Last edited:

Small Change

Jul 17, 2020
So it seems as if GB weren't included in that Xbox Series X preview thing? Based on their whining about having the pre-order the new consoles on The Hotspot it seems as if they weren't. Obviously it would be silly to read anything into that but surely word went around game and tech media circles that such a thing was happening and that they would have put out feelers to Microsoft PR to get a console to someone. They are on good terms with Phil Spencer so they definitely could have put their name in the ring.

Reactions: SamFo

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
So it seems as if GB weren't included in that Xbox Series X preview thing? Based on their whining about having the pre-order the new consoles on The Hotspot it seems as if they weren't. Obviously it would be silly to read anything into that but surely word went around game and tech media circles that such a thing was happening and that they would have put out feelers to Microsoft PR to get a console to someone. They are on good terms with Phil Spencer so they definitely could have put their name in the ring.
That would require them to do “work”... talking to people, filling out a form or two, having some sort of meeting. And we all know how they feel about that. Also I think everyone, including Giant Bomb themselves over-value them way too much. 8 years ago, yes they were one of the biggest in the media industry covering games, but they aren’t anywhere near that now. “Influencers” are much more valuable now. Giant Bomb is bottom tier when it comes to importance in media, so they get passed over a lot. CNET and Gamespot are a much higher priority for coverage.

whattheduck

Neo Member
Sep 17, 2020
I know there wasn't an E3 this year, but why haven't they done something like invite a couple of guests at a time to talk with Jeff over a Zoom chat in recent months? Yeah it's not the same vibe as those couch casts, but the concept of "let's talk to relevant people in the industry who we know / might have something interesting to say about the future of gaming" does not seem like it would be beyond their capabilities, even with how things are now.

Sep 7, 2011
Just wanted to say, I've been binging old Funhaus videos (and Vinesauce Vinny) and that has entirely filled the GB shaped hole in my heart (along with AdumPlaze and AdumPlazethroughs). I have more backlog now than I have time to watch everything. Thanks for the recommendations everybody!
I really like Vinesauce Vinny but wasn't able to get into Funhaus. I like Super Beard Bros and Jirard from Super Beard Bros channel The Completionist, where he shows what you need to do to fully complete games, it's really well done. Let's Game It Out is fun and funny, the guy breaks games and puts lots of hours into making 20min videos. Matt McMuscles "What Happened?" series is interesting to see where things went wrong making a game, I learned a lot about Postal 3.

Mushoomba

Aug 15, 2020
I know there wasn't an E3 this year, but why haven't they done something like invite a couple of guests at a time to talk with Jeff over a Zoom chat in recent months? Yeah it's not the same vibe as those couch casts, but the concept of "let's talk to relevant people in the industry who we know / might have something interesting to say about the future of gaming" does not seem like it would be beyond their capabilities, even with how things are now.
Yeah I've been thinking about the same thing. They know everybody loves Jeff's conversations with Phill Spencer and this seemed like the perfect opportunity to get on a Zoom call with him to talk about releasing a new console, how the pandemic affected them, all the changes in the company since last year, game pass, etc. It's such an obvious content idea that wouldn't take much effort and would get them views. They could even have done their "Giant Bomb at Nite" from E3 but on Zoom calls, have like a week dedicated to it, with planned guests on various streams.

They could've also kept going with Game Tapes. With a new generation of consoles coming out, this would be a great opportunity to watch the presentations from the release of the previous gen. Comment on how things went compared to how they were announced and so on. Those videos are all available on YouTube and they could watch them just like they did with the livestreams for the new consoles.

But no, that's all too much work. Let's just keep streaming Nancy Drew, Minecraft, and Rock Band for the sixth month in a row.

Reactions: Crumslor

Small Change

Jul 17, 2020
It's bizarre that they didn't do anything like this (as far was the audience knows, maybe they asked and were told to get lost) but it looks worse and worse as time goes on. The new consoles are the only thing going on in gaming right now (as well as the new Nvidia cards but that's more for a dedicated tech website) so it's extra strange they didn't schedule something with Phil Spencer given that he's willing to speak with them and the segment is always very popular.

Zoom isn't the ideal format but with a lot of people not moving around as much/working from home it seems as if it would have been pretty easy to schedule something like a week of interviews with some big names with the rest padded out by "friends of the site" which is usually how it goes at actual E3.

Instead they let it all pass them by while they do the most basic streams in the world.

Jun 26, 2020
probably because the community simps bend over backwards excusing them from having to do any work in a work-from-home situation where they play/review video games for a living.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Because, like I said before, that would require them to do actual work, and they are too afraid and terrified of the outside world. Jeff lied to everyone and said that he was talking with Phil Spencer and they were going to do that months ago, but yeah... I didn't believe that for a second. It's all lies to keep up the guise of them working instead of hanging out at home all day every day, except for the hour or two a week they are in front of the camera.

Does anyone honestly think that they are working anywhere near 40 hours a week? Like seriously. Can anyone say "Yes, those 8 people are all working 40 hours a week each"? I'd venture that Vinny is doing the most work, which would equate to around maybe 6-8 hour a week. 2-3 for the BeastCast, 1.5 for Mass Effect, 1.5 for Hotspot, and maybe another hour for the weekly "production meeting" which is just "Alex, you just doing the same thing?"

The reason they didn't do anything is because it requires work. And work is the last thing that care to do during their paid 6+ months of vacation time at home

CancelYourSubs

Neo Member
Jul 13, 2020
If anyone is interested in this type of interview content, Noclip has put up a couple of decent podcasts recently. Danny isn't nearly as comfortable of an interviewer as Jeff, but at least he's actually doing the work. The Spelunky 2 episode is what turned me on to it.

Harts316

Dec 9, 2012
If anyone is interested in this type of interview content, Noclip has put up a couple of decent podcasts recently. Danny isn't nearly as comfortable of an interviewer as Jeff, but at least he's actually doing the work. The Spelunky 2 episode is what turned me on to it.
Didn't the guy who runs that site go off the deep end with the SJW stuff?

Reactions: BertleTheTurtle

whattheduck

Neo Member
Sep 17, 2020
Of course he did, he works in games journalism. There isn't a single well-known name in that field right now who isn't a raging SJW.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2011
Danny o dwyer is a shit head.

I give absolutely zero fucks about "cancel culture" what I can't stand is hypocrisy.

Last edited:

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Agreed. Cancel culture is the stupidest thing in the world. Usually the people shouting the loudest about it, are the ones who are more guilty than others.

I really liked Danny’s NoClip stuff too, but he got so unbearable whining and screaming about all the crap that has nothing to do with games themselves. Keep your personal politics out of your business. No one actually cares.
Instead of tweeting at him or calling him out or anything of that other crap people with WAYYYY too much time on their hands do.... I just stopped watching and paying attention to him. I completely forgot he existed until just now. That’s what a normal human being does, they move on with their life.

Mushoomba

Aug 15, 2020
Didn't the guy who runs that site go off the deep end with the SJW stuff?
There's no site, NoClip is Danny O'Dwyer (with the help of another guy to film it when necessary). He went full on to the deep end and completely changed his personality when he moved from Ireland/London to San Francisco. He used to be one of the edgiest members of GameSpot, doing streams of games like Kingpin and talking about beating up hoes, having a constant dark humor, doing a video pretending to jerk off and giving a bukake to a co-worker using an Harry Potter wand from a Kinect game, etc. And now he's doing things like advocating for the creation of a blacklist to ban anyone who had any sort of professional relationship with someone who has been canceled by Twitter, become so woke that he attacks any fan of his that isn't woke enough. It's a shame, he was actually really good when he was at GameSpot and most of his work was very professional, often showing both sides of the stories and always trying to be as impartial and informative as possible while still being entertaining. He was on his way to becoming the next Jeff Gerstmann. But now he's just insufferable.

HotPocket69

Ubergender - contains all other genders
Oct 10, 2018
Fl
“Get rid of that gargantuan, mouth breathing mutant retard and the self absorbed granny with the diarrhea curl hair and maybe I’ll consider making an appearance.”

- Phil Spencer

These fuckers went from having Ken Levine and Nolan North stop by for shits and giggles to having absolutely no one giving a rats ass. Pretty telling.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2011
Instead of tweeting at him or calling him out or anything of that other crap people with WAYYYY too much time on their hands do.... I just stopped watching and paying attention to him. I completely forgot he existed until just now. That’s what a normal human being does, they move on with their life.
I appreciate the no life people willing to spend their time digging this stuff up personally. That was me like 5-6 years ago before I was married or had a full time job. These people deserve nothing less than having their pasts turn on them. Karma is a bitch. Hopefully if it happens enough these people will learn to just shut the fuck up and stop trying to ruin people's lives and livelihoods over nonsense. You can never be woke enough.

whattheduck

Neo Member
Sep 17, 2020
Patrick has a similarly spotty history with jokes about rape and that kind of thing. Clearly, they feel overly guilty for that stuff and overcorrect in the most asinine ways - which is helped by the fact that doing so is politically very trendy and expedient on the left right now. So it's a win-win, so they think.

I've never put out a joke about rape on my social media platforms, but weirdos like Patrick and Danny would sure as hell use my conservative leanings against me if they could. Guess what? That's politics. It's stupid.

CancelYourSubs

Neo Member
Jul 13, 2020
I appreciate the no life people willing to spend their time digging this stuff up personally... These people deserve nothing less than having their pasts turn on them. Karma is a bitch. Hopefully if it happens enough these people will learn to just shut the fuck up and stop trying to ruin people's lives and livelihoods over nonsense. You can never be woke enough.
I give absolutely zero fucks about "cancel culture" what I can't stand is hypocrisy.

• Triggered
Reactions: Harts316

Toaster man

Jul 16, 2020
The fact they didn’t get a series x is somewhat curious. You think they would have enough connections to get one. It can’t have anything with the recent sale because apparently Bakalar got one.

CancelYourSubs

Neo Member
Jul 13, 2020
Fire with fire, sir. Just like with politics why play fair if the other side isn't? If Danny didn't shine that virtue signal so brightly I wouldn't care what he said in the past.
Alright yeah, that makes sense. I felt the same way about Abby with the Merrit K thing, you need to be held to your own standards.
The fact they didn’t get a series x is somewhat curious. You think they would have enough connections to get one. It can’t have anything with the recent sale because apparently Bakalar got one.
I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of stuff that Giant Bomb hasn't been sent in recent years... and it's just more obvious with the Series X because it's hardware.

I'd bet they get way fewer preview game codes than they used to. They reliably shit on games to a gradually shrinking audience, why bother to give them advanced coverage? It would help explain why they rarely cover games on embargo day anymore.

Cheesewheel

Jun 16, 2013
Alright yeah, that makes sense. I felt the same way about Abby with the Merrit K thing, you need to be held to your own standards.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of stuff that Giant Bomb hasn't been sent in recent years... and it's just more obvious with the Series X because it's hardware.

I'd bet they get way fewer preview game codes than they used to. They reliably shit on games to a gradually shrinking audience, why bother to give them advanced coverage? It would help explain why they rarely cover games on embargo day anymore.
They had yoshida and boyes bring a ps4 straight from the ps4 e3 reveal to their after show where they all sat there giddy with excitement.

1 gen later and they can't even get use their press outlet privilage to get any kind of early scoops or console orders while they bitch and moan about the relevance of the new consoles on their podcasts.

Last edited:

Inviusx

Jan 4, 2016
They had yoshida and boyes bring a ps4 straight from the ps4 e3 reveal to their after show where they all sat there giddy with excitement.

1 gen later and they can't even get use their press outlet privilage to get any kind of early scoops or console orders while they bitch and moan about the relevance of the new consoles on their podcasts.
The Red Ventures name doesn't necessarily carry the same weight as CBS. They probably won't even get exhibitor badges for E3 anymore.

Last edited:

DangerStepp

Sep 14, 2007
You all just reminded me of how the amount of studio drop-in visits, interviews, and podcast appearances by notable videogame personalities and friends of the site have dwindled over the years until it ultimately stopped happening.

John Vignocchi, Dave Lang, Adam Boyes, John Drake, Eric Pope, Mark Mcdonald, John Riccardi, Dave Snider, Sean Coonce...

Names immortalized in making Giant Bomb feel like the place to go to "have a beer and let's hang out with some games".

I don't know what Giant Bomb is anymore; it sure the hell isn't fun.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Ubergender - contains all other genders
Oct 10, 2018
Fl
You all just reminded me of how the amount of studio drop-in visits, interviews, and podcast appearances by notable videogame personalities and friends of the site have dwindled over the years until it ultimately stopped happening.

John Vignocchi, Dave Lang, Adam Boyes, John Drake, Eric Pope, Mark Mcdonald, John Riccardi, Dave Snider, Sean Coonce...

Names immortalized in making Giant Bomb feel like the place to go to "have a beer and let's hang out with some games".

I don't know what Giant Bomb is anymore; it sure the hell isn't fun.
Seriously. What happened to that? Is it because of Ryan’s death and his overall influence? Is it because of the new hires? Is it because of CHEETOH DRUMPF?

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Crumslor and brap

Cheesewheel

Jun 16, 2013
Seriously. What happened to that? Is it because of Ryan’s death and his overall influence? Is it because of the new hires? Is it because of CHEETOH DRUMPF?
"Hey do you guys want to hang out and sit at our ugly desk in a dark windowless closet for a few hours?"

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014
It cause the site got more political, Companies don't want to chance the bad press so don't bother anymore

Reactions: Crumslor

whattheduck

Neo Member
Sep 17, 2020
People often say "they don't like games anymore" but I actually think that's a dumb take. They clearly still think about games a lot and enjoy the ones they enjoy. Sure, someone like Jeff is highly selective and comes off as cynical like 90% of the time (I understand why that turns people off) - but they still discuss gaming trends and news with a good degree of passion and interest.

The problem is that they have gotten lazy as content creators. That doesn't mean they don't care about games anymore, it means they have slipped into a mentality which lets them coast by with minimal effort. I've been a fan of these guys since like 2005.. I know the kind of content they're been able to make and publicise over the years. By comparison, the last couple years or so have been utterly pathetic. And their political exhaustion has just made them more grating to listen to.

Like, of course Alex is an Antifa-supporting goon. Of course Brad has probably lost sleep over Trump's connections with Russia. Of course Vinny would hire a loudmouth "comedienne" who thinks all New York policemen and policewomen are white supremacists... It's all totally predictable by now.

I can live with all that. But please, for the love of God, make some god damn content with some gusto, like you used to do! And get Alex off the fucking drums, my God.

Small Change

Jul 17, 2020
Danny O'Dwyer is a massive hypocrite. I used to listen to his podcast years ago since it was the only Irish gaming podcast (ever, I think) and it definitely lines up more closely with the old Tweets than calling for literal blacklists in the industry. What an embarrassment he turned out to be. London didn't seem to change him at all but San Francisco sure did. It's so odd the game's industry was the target for the kind of entryism that has ruined so much of the press there, especially Giantbomb.

As for the guests they traded out influential industry figures that people respect for indie devs who spend more time going insane on twitter than making good games. I think Alex taking over the booking for the guests and end of year guest lists for GOTY allowed some absolutely dreadful people to fall into the site's orbit and they've been having a more and more of an influence on the site itself as time has gone on.

Last edited:

Mushoomba

Aug 15, 2020
As for the guests they traded out influential industry figures that people respect for indie devs who spend more time going insane on twitter than making good games. I think Alex taking over the booking for the guests and end of year guest lists for GOTY allowed some absolutely dreadful people to fall into the site's orbit and they've been having a more and more of an influence on the site itself as time has gone on.

It also doesn't help that most of the guests for streams have been chosen by Abby. She has zero contacts in the industry and doesn't have the relevance that the older members have, so she ends up inviting whoever she's mutual friends with on Twitter, often being people she has no actual relationship or connection with.

Small Change

Jul 17, 2020
It also doesn't help that most of the guests for streams have been chosen by Abby. She has zero contacts in the industry and doesn't have the relevance that the older members have, so she ends up inviting whoever she's mutual friends with on Twitter, often being people she has no actual relationship or connection with.
Honestly, since the only content of theirs I consume is now bootleg streams of the Hotspot I hope she keeps doing that. Her first Beastcast was a disaster due to inviting on a single guest certain people have issues with. If she keeps running the ship aground maybe she'll eventually get a dressing down that manages to pierce her ego.

I honestly wonder what kind of industry contacts any of them have at this point. The circle of "friends of the site" feels a lot smaller than it did in the past.

Last edited: