• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

GloryDays

Neo Member
Oct 14, 2019
Damn you all i used to be able to ignore ben but now after all the complaints about him and having a few weeks without on the podcast all i can hear now is his dumbass interupting everything like he has something to say .... then stumbles around a bunch of words till he gets something pointless out that derailed everything. Hes starting to overtake abby on podcast annoyance levels (the only content i actually consume of theirs to have something to listen to at work)
Wait until you realise Jeff only hired him so he got health insurance and someone on staff who would laugh at his jokes.

Rei no Otaku

Jul 4, 2008
Cranston, RI
It's pretty funny hearing Dan be so positive about Death Stranding on that early/late impressions video and then pull a hard 180 on it. The opening seems pretty neat but it's pretty shocking to me that Kojima really did just make a walking/delivery simulator with some flashy style.

Is Alex the only one who's gonna have finished it by GOTY discussions? Has anybody else there finished it? I haven't kept up with the Podcast discussions.
The strangest thing about Dan was the fact that he was hyped at all. As soon as I saw gameplay I knew Dan would hate the game. I remember being surprised he even liked Metal Gear until during Metal Gear Scanlon he said he never played them as stealth games and just ran around shooting everything.

I'm loving it so far, but then I'm one of those weirdos who actually likes weight limits and encumbrance.

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
The strangest thing about Dan was the fact that he was hyped at all. As soon as I saw gameplay I knew Dan would hate the game. I remember being surprised he even liked Metal Gear until during Metal Gear Scanlon he said he never played them as stealth games and just ran around shooting everything.

I'm loving it so far, but then I'm one of those weirdos who actually likes weight limits and encumbrance.
I have never watched any of Dan's metal gear videos, but the fact that he played them just about as badly as I do and failed at stealth doesnt surprise me. 😄

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
Wait until you realise Jeff only hired him so he got health insurance and someone on staff who would laugh at his jokes.
If that's really the case, jeff should have gotten him some job behind the camera. Regardless of intent, he's a bad hire for the position he's in. Hiring someone just because they are your friend or out of sympathy has a very mixed rate of success at best.

Reactions: JovianLizards

ElKabong

Sep 29, 2019
For some reason I'm doing the Film & 40s "Bad Lieutenant" and some detective says "The colored nurse" and Vinny immediately responds "That's problematic!". I've apparently been blind to Vinny's slide into a complete fucking pussy social justice warrior. Jesus Christ...

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
For some reason I'm doing the Film & 40s "Bad Lieutenant" and some detective says "The colored nurse" and Vinny immediately responds "That's problematic!". I've apparently been blind to Vinny's slide into a complete fucking pussy social justice warrior. Jesus Christ...
A film with an amoral protagonist having people say "bad things"!? What a shocker!

BibleBLACKED

Mar 20, 2017
Vinny is drenched in soy, Alex a total wet blanket and Ben and Abby annoying as hell. Brad and Jeff barely working. Yep that's Giant Bomb nowadays.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019

I think Dan said it himself at the end of that impressions video, he figured out that he's a Metal Gear mark, not a Kojima mark.

The Metal Gear Scanlon series was painful to watch sometimes. It was either Drew getting frustrated and not enjoying the game or Dan giving terrible advice on how to play cause he doesn't actually like the stealth in those games. I do think it's a testament to those games that people like Drew and Dan can enjoy Metal Gear despite having frustrations with the gameplay. It seems with Death Stranding that the gameplay was just too frustrating and one note for Dan to bear.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Yeah, Vinny and Alex both finished it and Brad said he wants to finish it (for what that is worth). The rest have no desire to finish it, and I don't blame them, you see the entire game in those several hours of gameplay other than the cutscenes (why would they devote that much time to a single two star reviewed game is beyond me)
I would hope that they all finish it so the GOTY discussions about it are complete and productive. It seems like so many past GOTY discussions have seen half of the staff having to qualify their arguments for or against games cause they didn't finish them. It is one of the years biggest releases and even if they all hate it, they should all at least be able to tell why they hate it completely. Like others have said, it's not like their doing much else.

They all really should be made by Jeff to finish all the big games for the GOTY discussion, most other people can, so why not them?

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
I would hope that they all finish it so the GOTY discussions about it are complete and productive. It seems like so many past GOTY discussions have seen half of the staff having to qualify their arguments for or against games cause they didn't finish them. It is one of the years biggest releases and even if they all hate it, they should all at least be able to tell why they hate it completely. Like others have said, it's not like their doing much else.

They all really should be made by Jeff to finish all the big games for the GOTY discussion, most other people can, so why not them?
That would cut in to their time doing little to no work.

• LOL

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I really don't understand how they still refuse to do the most simple of planning for quick looks. Like is it really that hard to make a note detailing something like price for a game, instead of just going in and all saying "I think it's this, or maybe it's that price." "Oh I'll just google it". Seriously, like just the smallest amount of planning and prep for videos or features would make Giant Bomb as a whole so much better.

Hudo

Jul 26, 2018
I really don't understand how they still refuse to do the most simple of planning for quick looks. Like is it really that hard to make a note detailing something like price for a game, instead of just going in and all saying "I think it's this, or maybe it's that price." "Oh I'll just google it". Seriously, like just the smallest amount of planning and prep for videos or features would make Giant Bomb as a whole so much better.
Yeah, this is starting to piss me off as well. And it's not only a Giant Bomb issue. Many professional video game bloggers and Youtubers don't seem to do the slightest amount of preparation. The guys at Giant Bomb charge for most of their content and get paid salaries to be professional video game vloggers. I expect them to be prepared.

Reactions: BibleBLACKED

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Vinny white knighting for Abby over the Disco Elysium stuff hard. "Those fans need to shut the fuck up." Abby silent the entire time.
Man, I'm really starting to dislike Vinny now. I had such a positive view of the dude up to like four years ago, then later he got kinda irritating, but now he's a full on Cuckasaurus Rex.

He also might be reaching that 'male feminist who inevitably turns out to be a creep' status.

Reactions: Kadayi and Scopa

KingMoron

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2018
Man, I'm really starting to dislike Vinny now. I had such a positive view of the dude up to like four years ago, then later he got kinda irritating, but now he's a full on Cuckasaurus Rex.

He also might be reaching that 'male feminist who inevitably turns out to be a creep' status.
I can't wait til his wife finds out he's banging the scarecrow

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Yeah, this is starting to piss me off as well. And it's not only a Giant Bomb issue. Many professional video game bloggers and Youtubers don't seem to do the slightest amount of preparation. The guys at Giant Bomb charge for most of their content and get paid salaries to be professional video game vloggers. I expect them to be prepared.
This kind of criticism has been going on for years about Giant Bomb. I'm still amazed as well that their lack of preparation continues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hudo

brap

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2018
Why the FUCK would you watch a film like Bad Lieutenant if you're that type of person? Bunch of retards. I just looked it up though and it's the shitty Nic Cage sequel. If they were watching the original Vinny would have a fucking aneurysm.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
I used to get surprised (but, now I’m totally not surprised anymore) that I consistently seem to know more about games and gaming history than most people working in the games media industry. Despite myself not working in the industry, just absorbing information by being a legit gamer with a passion for games my whole life. I even seem to regularly know more about games I have never even played, I just pay attention. It’s pathetic, really. On their part.

I always use Sam Claiborn from IGN as an example. Seems like a nice guy (a bit of an SJW, though), but he’s the self-proclaimed “retro expert” at IGN. All of IGN venerate him for his gaming knowledge and he loves to say little gaming history facts about games in a smug fashion to display his encyclopedic knowledge, despite the fact that everything he says is basic gaming knowledge to me. Yet, I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve heard the dude say “What’s that, never heard of it.” about an extremely well-known game or just say something flat out incorrect about a game. For a “retro expert”, the holes in his gaming knowledge are frighteningly large. It would be funny if it wasn’t so sad because of his self-aggrandisement.

Reactions: Hudo

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
I used to get surprised (but, now I’m totally not surprised anymore) that I consistently seem to know more about games and gaming history than most people working in the games media industry. Despite myself not working in the industry, just absorbing information by being a legit gamer with a passion for games my whole life. I even seem to regularly know more about games I have never even played, I just pay attention. It’s pathetic, really. On their part.

I always use Sam Claiborn from IGN as an example. Seems like a nice guy (a bit of an SJW, though), but he’s the self-proclaimed “retro expert” at IGN. All of IGN venerate him for his gaming knowledge and he loves to say little gaming history facts about games in a smug fashion to display his encyclopedic knowledge, despite the fact that everything he says is basic gaming knowledge to me. Yet, I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve heard the dude say “What’s that, never heard of it.” about an extremely well-known game or just say something flat out incorrect about a game. For a “retro expert”, the holes in his gaming knowledge are frighteningly large. It would be funny if it wasn’t so sad because of his self-aggrandisement.
Out of curiosity, could you name an example of this ign guy not knowing something? I'm curious if id know it, being a non journalist pleb.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Out of curiosity, could you name an example of this ign guy not knowing something? I'm curious if id know it, being a non journalist pleb.
There have been tons of examples. At least one on every IGN podcast he is on

I’d love to give you a specific example, but I don’t take notes when he does it. I’m not dodging the question, I just don’t care enough to make a mental note to remember every time he does it.

Off the top of my head, he’s been oblivious to some games existence, gotten the platform or console generation of a game completely incorrect, made completely inaccurate statements about games and many other things. I’m not talking about obscure facts here either. It’s stuff I consider basic gaming knowledge for someone his age and the fact he proclaims to be a fount of gaming knowledge.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate the guy. I just can’t believe he goes around patting himself on the back about it. It is what it is.

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014

Thats not limited to IGN, the Gaming Historian on YT is pretty bad for not knowing stuff as well,

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Scopa

drganon

Sep 20, 2019

I’d love to give you a specific example, but I don’t take notes when he does it. I’m not dodging the question, I just don’t care enough to make a mental note to remember every time he does it.

Off the top of my head, he’s been oblivious to some games existence, gotten the platform or console generation of a game completely incorrect, made completely inaccurate statements about games and many other things. I’m not talking about obscure facts here either. It’s stuff I consider basic gaming knowledge for someone his age and the fact he proclaims to be a

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate the guy. I just can’t believe he goes around patting himself on the back about it. It is what it is.
Thats not limited to IGN, the Gaming Historian on YT is pretty bad for not knowing stuff as well,
That's the one area Jeff is very good at. The man is an encyclopedia of gaming history and info. It's too bad its drowned out on a weekly basis by Ben's inane rambling.

drganon

Sep 20, 2019

Off the top of my head, he’s been oblivious to some games existence, gotten the platform or console generation of a game completely incorrect, made completely inaccurate statements about games and many other things. I’m not talking about obscure facts here either. It’s stuff I consider basic gaming knowledge for someone his age and the fact he proclaims to be a fount of gaming knowledge.

Fair enough. I didn't mean to put you on the spot like that. I was just curious.

Reactions: Scopa

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I feel the exact same way. Hearing and watching these youtubers get famous because they have the most basic knowledge of a game (Pro Tip: They just looked it up online because most of them are too young to even have been alive when the technology was new) is infuriating. Jeff basically the only one who I have respect for. I used to think Brad was also really well versed in it, but almost every time something gets brought up he goes "oh really? I didn't know that" when there is other videos from several years ago on the site where he says he knows what they are talking about. Either he has memory loss, or he's lying.

The fact that I know more about the games coming out than what is said on the quick look or podcasts really show how much of a job Giant Bomb is to most of them. I think Dan and Jeff are really the only ones who stay if they were offered another job with better pay. Why? Because they actually like video games. Say what you will about Jeff's inability to like more than C64 and Atari games, or Call Of Duty, but he will be in the Video Games industry (or cover it I guess) until he retires. Dan will always be in games because he is actually a fan and it's his pasttime and loves them. It just goes to show you who is and is not really there because of their passion for games.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
When/where was this said, today's beastcast?
Yes. He also went into the subreddit and posted too. I tried to go into the subreddit, but seeing every post basically say the same "We don't take kindly to people who don't take kindly!". What a bunch of hypocrites. Everyone keeps saying how it's only because abby is a girl that people got upset (I never saw one instance of that) and completely disregarding the fact that she is paid to cover this game (Why is a video producer in every piece of content?), and had no clue what she was doing or talking about. THAT IS WHY EVERYONE WAS MAD!

Ugh that whole situation still bugs me. I haven't even played Disco Elysium, and it's not really a type of game I want to play, but I'm still interested in it. Knowing what they are talking about should be the first thing considered when being paid to cover a game. If you don't understand it, maybe talk to someone before going on a podcast or recording a video that is informing thousands of people.

Last edited:

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Man, I just read the comment by Vinny on the subreddit about Disco Elysium and he doesn't address any actual criticism people had about that Quick Look. He just says that personal attacks are "too much", then ends with saying that talking about the game is a chore now. The replies to him are super sycophantic. It's gross.

This is how Giant Bomb is now. If you have any actual input besides praise, it's a personal attack on them, and that just cannot stand.

It's funny though, cause it's a site based on personalities and any criticism of the personalities is going to technically be a personal attack on some level. Vinny is basically saying that people who pay for their service and don't like it in some way should shut up, bend over, and take it.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
It's also kinda sad too that many people made good arguments and critiques about that Quick Look and Abby's performance in it, and Vinny and Abby's response is just basically "shut up, we'll do what we want".

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Yup. You are not allowed to post criticism about the thing you pay for. Giant Bomb hates most fans (this has been going on for years) there was a UPF on infinite last week from like 2012 and a chat member asked if they were going to do another Endurance Run and they laughed at him and basically said “yeah no, what an idiot”.

Same thing happened with Witcher 3, when people were telling them how good the game was, and if they just played it correctly they’d love it, they literally said on the podcast that because the fans asked them to try continuing it because they’d think they’d like it, they said they are going to hate it just to spite them.

Giant Bomb has been such a big part of my life, all my commuting to and from work, downtime, cooking always has GB content in the background. I like hearing them talk about games, but they are hellbent on doing whatever they want with zero consequences and won’t listen to any fan who isn’t actively bowing down to them.

Zaffo

Feb 11, 2018
Everyone keeps saying how it's only because abby is a girl that people got upset (I never saw one instance of that) and completely disregarding the fact that she is paid to cover this game (Why is a video producer in every piece of content?), and had no clue what she was doing or talking about. THAT IS WHY EVERYONE WAS MAD!

That's the San Francisco way for you.

eot

Apr 13, 2012
The subreddit is quite the echo chamber. Even the slightest bit of criticism towards anyone at GB gets downvoted and stamped out into oblivion.
Not downvote, they just censor those comments

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Amazingly tone deaf for a Giant Bomb staff member to use the term “pretentious airs”. Their entire podcasts are nothing but pretentious airs.

I just listened to that Beastcast bit where Vinny tells the fans with criticisms to “shut the fuck up”. So, now we have Abby telling the fans to “Fuck off” and Vinny telling them to “shut the fuck up”.

I hope none of you are silly enough to still be giving these wankers your money.

Kadayi

Probable Replicant & GIF PIMP
Oct 10, 2012
theconclave.net
Vinny white knighting for Abby over the Disco Elysium stuff hard. "Those fans need to shut the fuck up." Abby silent the entire time.
So they're continuing their war against Disco Elysium on Abby's behalf? and now the fans of the game need to shut up? Christ Vinnie used to be one of the best things about GB, but it sounds like they've fallen down the crevasse of their own asses. SAD.

Rei no Otaku

Jul 4, 2008
Cranston, RI
Amazingly tone deaf for a Giant Bomb staff member to use the term “pretentious airs”. Their entire podcasts are nothing but pretentious airs.

I just listened to that Beastcast bit where Vinny tells the fans with criticisms to “shut the fuck up”. So, now we have Abby telling the fans to “Fuck off” and Vinny telling them to “shut the fuck up”.

I hope none of you are silly enough to still be giving these wankers your money.
Abby must be coddled at all times. Notice how they never give this much of a shit when Dan or Alex has a negative opinion about a popular game. Look at their coverage of Death Stranding. As soon as it starts Dan says how the game is garbage and Vinny immediately jumps in to say Dan should cool it a bit and let people know it's just his opinion. Abby says Disco Elysium sucks and it's: "You're absolutely right Abby, fuck everyone else."
I'm convinced it's something in the water in San Francisco. If you've ever lived there then you're stricken with intense memory loss for the rest of your life. Vinny claims Mass Effect is his favorite series of all time, yet in the Mass Alex series couldn't even remember what class he had played as or major plot points in the games. I have three kids and work a full time job that has nothing to do with video games yet I remember more about games I've never played than they do about their favorite ones.