• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2020
Breaking Brad starring hot spot crew only. Is giant bomb good again?

• LOL
Reactions: HotPocket69

Small Change

Jul 17, 2020
Jeff Gerstmann gives Rez Infinite five stars but gets bored playing Half Life: Alyx. Now, I'm sure Rez is very well suited to VR but at its core I'm also guessing it's the same Sega-style behind-the-back shooter that it always was just with some impressive VR integration. Half Life: Alyx aside from being a continuation of a dormant and much-loved series feels like a step forward for the whole VR platform and is definitely the fully fleshed out game that he has spoken about wanting. Yet all he could muster was one stream of it yet Rez compelled him to write his first review in what must be almost a year and the second on the site this year.

Not sure what point I have but I think it says something about how odd the crew and website have become over the years that this is where their content is at and they have people thanking them for it.

Sep 7, 2011
Not sure what point I have but I think it says something about how odd the crew and website have become over the years that this is where their content is at and they have people thanking them for it.

Abby could show up at each house and kick every GB loyalist in the nuts (if they had any) with steel-toed boots, call them a racist sexist homophobic bigot, and spit in their faces, and they would thank her for the experience. That's just where GB is now. So it's not surprising that they have people thanking them for a crumb of content.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Three weeks out for Extra Life 2020, let alone new consoles and GB has nothing to say about it. No time to play video games all day while at home, I guess.

Small Change

Jul 17, 2020
Three weeks out for Extra Life 2020, let alone new consoles and GB has nothing to say about it. No time to play video games all day while at home, I guess.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if there's some back-and-forth over what charity to donate funds to due to it being 2020. Haven't multiple members of the team gone on streams for bail funds and the like?

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Wouldn't be at all surprised if there's some back-and-forth over what charity to donate funds to due to it being 2020. Haven't multiple members of the team gone on streams for bail funds and the like?

That would be a bummer. They always donate to children's hospitals historically as I recall. Dunno about their extracurricular donation stream contributions.

Giant Bomb 2020: Fuck the kids

Last edited:

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Rez Infinite came out years ago, in 2016... I could have sworn Jeff already wrote a glowing review for his favorite game of all time back then.

I played it on a Vive back in 2017, and it was fun... but it’s the same damn game as it was back in 2001, just with VR shoehorned in it and a new level. I liked the new level more than the originals. I would have preferred them to make a full new game with the style of the new level instead of just a port of the original.. and this Quest 2 version is just a port. It’s not a new game...

But that’s what Giant Bomb has become now... just a bunch of sad losers that can’t even play new or different games. Just retreat into their sheltered homes, not going outside for *checks notes* 4 MONTHS?!? What? How?!.... ahem.... and playing the same boring games because it’s “comfort food” to them.

I’ve never been more ashamed to say I was a fan of Giant Bomb as I am today. They are truest a pathetic and lost cause.

Ramagamma

Banned
Mar 22, 2017
People are tripping over themselves to thank Jeff for his Rez Infinite VR review. On the Bombcast he mentioned that he cranked it out last night in a single sitting, on a pure whim after finishing the game. Listen, I like written reviews, but it's the second one of the entire year and the breathless gratitude from the fans is pretty laughable.

It reminds me of Fury Road when they introduce Immortan Joe-
"Do not, my friends, become addicted to water. It will take hold of you and you will resent its absence."

Oh god I looked at the review on the site and you arn't wrong, dozens of comments just saying "Thanks Jeff". What the actual fuck, even when I was enjoying Giant Bomb at its funniest (hint: before Abby) I wouldn't just feel the need to personally thank them for doing their job.

Lol what is wrong with these "fans".

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
There is a line between being courteous and giving unearned praise. Jeff writing a review for a 4 year old game is not something that needs or deserves celebration... but this is Giant Bomb we are talking about, they have such distain for their customers/fans that they know they have to give them a little something every once in a while. And when they do, their fans have this sort of Stockholm Syndrome that makes them act like this little gift of them doing their jobs that they should be doing is somehow worthy of exorbitant praise.... it’s weird man. I really don’t get how almost all those comments are saying thanks for doing your job!!!

Aug 30, 2018
I really don’t get how almost all those comments are saying thanks for doing your job!!!
As an aside, I've always thought it weird that people don't appreciate others doing their jobs

Nothing wrong with praising someone for the work they do end up doing (Even if they could do more)

Should be thankful they did anything at all and move forward on how to deal with it from there

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014
Oh god I looked at the review on the site and you arn't wrong, dozens of comments just saying "Thanks Jeff". What the actual fuck, even when I was enjoying Giant Bomb at its funniest (hint: before Abby) I wouldn't just feel the need to personally thank them for doing their job.

Lol what is wrong with these "fans".

Stockholm Syndrome

Ramagamma

Banned
Mar 22, 2017
There is a line between being courteous and giving unearned praise. Jeff writing a review for a 4 year old game is not something that needs or deserves celebration... but this is Giant Bomb we are talking about, they have such distain for their customers/fans that they know they have to give them a little something every once in a while. And when they do, their fans have this sort of Stockholm Syndrome that makes them act like this little gift of them doing their jobs that they should be doing is somehow worthy of exorbitant praise.... it’s weird man. I really don’t get how almost all those comments are saying thanks for doing your job!!!

Your first sentence really sums it up for me. Put yourself in Jeffs shows, do you really want to be showered with admiration for writing a fucking videogame review? It must be cringey as fuck to read that kind of thing. No wonder he can't be assed thesedays, when every action you take is lavishly praised how can you have a standard anymore.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
As an aside, I've always thought it weird that people don't appreciate others doing their jobs

Nothing wrong with praising someone for the work they do end up doing (Even if they could do more)

Should be thankful they did anything at all and move forward on how to deal with it from there
Like I said, there is a line between just being nice and giving out undeserved praise. After this year/last few... them doing the absolute bare minimum that their job requires.... on top of a review of a 4 year old game... it’s not something that deserves thanks. As a paying customer, it’s basically a slap & spit in the face. It’s basically Jeff saying “thanks for your money sucker, here is what I wrote on the toilet that barely was worth my time. Remember to like and subscribe!”

Mushoomba

Aug 15, 2020
I want to believe that most of the "thanks" from that review are from people who still want GB to do reviews and feel like if they show their appreciation, GB will see it and do more of it. Which, in concept, is ok and kinda makes sense.

However, they forgot GB stops doing anything their audience likes or praises (Endurance Runs, Beast In The East, Shenmue ER, Game Tapes, Demo Derby, etc).

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018
I try to appreciate someone's work even if they are an over paid, lazy, enthusiast press wonk

Kind of like that friend that cooked up something disgusting for ya
Heyyyyy not gonna eat that...but A+ for effort holmes!

vip3r

Aug 22, 2020
But that’s what Giant Bomb has become now... just a bunch of sad losers that can’t even play new or different games. Just retreat into their sheltered homes, not going outside for *checks notes* 4 MONTHS?!? What? How?!.... ahem.... and playing the same boring games because it’s “comfort food” to them.

I’ve never been more ashamed to say I was a fan of Giant Bomb as I am today. They are truest a pathetic and lost cause.
4 months?!?!? Try SEVEN months!

And they are all paler, doughier, more pathetic versions of themselves. Looking like melted ice cream.

BermudaDrain

Neo Member
Oct 5, 2019
They're gonna do a Film & 40's about Housu, which is one my favorite movies ever, and not in an ironic way. Ben keep your relentless assault of ironic non jokes away from that movie! Abby, just...don't anything.

I hope it's a "regular" Vinny, Alex & Abby (& Bakalar?) F&F. Maybe the Mickeys & Whisies ones were just practice runs and we're getting some good Halloween F&F like last year.
Right? RIGHT?

DangerStepp

Sep 14, 2007
I started hopeful that she'd bring something exciting to the table until I realized she has a casual/passing interest in the video game industry and doesn't really give a damn.

That realization compounded with her grating personality and the weird selfish schtick made me swerve out of the way of a great deal of Giant Bomb content.

Happy trails to you and your comedy. You faked it until you made it?

Edit: As bad of a fit as she was for Giant Bomb I'll never root for someone losing their job. If she was laid off then may she land on her feet and find something she's happy with.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019
Upstate NY
Oh my goodness, what wonderful news!!! She detracted a lot more from that site than she ever gave. Fuck her and immature and selfish attitude. I hope she takes most of the current audience with her.
Drop that worthless pile that’s called Ben and you MAY have a shot at retuning to being decent again.
Dan Ryckert continues to be prove what a positive, fun, hardworking person can accomplish. He puts GB to shame as a one man crew.
The Abby simps attacked me seconds after I celebrated on Twitter. I’m immune to them.

Flying Toaster

Gold Member
Apr 7, 2011
Honestly not a huge fan of Abby but she brought something to the table to balance it out. Not my cup of tea but mad props for the cast crew giving a semi gaming outsider a place on a gaming podcast. I think its professional that she made the decision to break away during the merger and I can't fault her for trying to land something on the small fame bump she got while working with Giant Bomb.

Reactions: Dale-Gribble-

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014
Well, it's been a run, I'm not gonna badmouth her or throw petty insults her way,

For me, Abby was just a wrong fit for the site, sure she had some good moments, for example, 13 deadly Sims was pretty good, but ultimately she just wasn't the right person for the job.

I wish her well and the best

Toaster man

Jul 16, 2020
I am going with the theory that since red ventures is now the parent company of GB that any chance of her using GB as a foot in the door to get her a comedy job with CBS/Viacom is now dead.

She is simply moving on as many here have predicted. GB East is starting to look pretty low on manpower. It’s just vinny and Alex?

Reactions: Mushoomba
Jun 26, 2020
Well, it's been a run, I'm not gonna badmouth her or throw petty insults her way,

For me, Abby was just a wrong fit for the site, sure she had some good moments, for example, 13 deadly Sims was pretty good, but ultimately she just wasn't the right person for the job.

I wish her well and the best
She's a stupid cunt and too shameless about using her position to try to get perks or to advance her career. Having some decorum about it may have made it look less shitty.

Also, particularly enjoying the double standards from the GB mods.

Bethany Owen
[Mod] Please remember being excellent to everyone includes staff and ex-staff. If you don’t have anything nice to say about Abby, keep on scrolling. We’re not going to have unnecessary rude comments.

'Please be cool, unless it's Dan then fuck that dude.'

Last edited:

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Well damn. I still have all these zingers on her I was going to post here too.

Really though, I'm glad she can pursue her true passion as a rodeo clown.

And she totally got fired, but asked to lie and save her precious image. No one chooses to find a new job right at the end of the year during the holidays. People give two weeks notice when quitting, not two months or two days like a layoff.

Hag.

CharlieTuna

Nov 21, 2019
GB is dying so fast. They haven't even replaced Dan yet and they have another loss. Soon this will be just Jeff streaming from his basement and complaining about some meaningless thing.

Aug 30, 2018
People give two weeks notice when quitting, not two months or two days like a layoff.
Depends on your position and the company you work for

Most seniors I've worked with try to give a months advance notice so everyone can properly transition projects and stuff in the mean time until ta new senior is found

She isn't a senior, but I don't think it's out of the ball park for a content production crew member to give a month's notice

Edit: She prolly stuck around until the move got made like people said; furthering her career and a chance to push into CBSi. No reason to stick around now that CBSi is out of the picture, so a great time to give that notice
Career wise I don't blame her; yes us as customers can bitch that she didn't fit the video game thing, but career wise she put something pretty good on her resume. I mean it was her first job outta college according to her

Last edited:
Reactions: Dale-Gribble-
Status
Not open for further replies.