• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014
I actually like Bakalar quite a lot. He’s the most interested and in the know about games than most of the staff. He brings a bit more grounded viewpoint than the completely extremist “this is the worst thing ever!!” That the others all use.

He's never joing GB permanent though, he's pretty the main tech guy at CNET

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Depends on your position and the company you work for

Most seniors I've worked with try to give a months advance notice so everyone can properly transition projects and stuff in the mean time until ta new senior is found

She isn't a senior, but I don't think it's out of the ball park for a content production crew member to give a month's notice

She has nothing to transition, and no one to transition it to. If she already had a job lined up, ok, fine. But she's already begging for a job on Twitter.

Think anyone intelligent is going to leave their job at end of year, with nothing lined up, during a pandemic? She got canned, man.

Last edited:

YodaBB

Nov 19, 2019
Her tweet reads like the others who were let go..."Loved working here, if anyone knows of a job let me know"...so my guess would be she was booted and allowed to say she was leaving, which is pretty nice of them. Surely the plan isn't just to have Vin and Alex in NY, so I would guess they're moving or maybe GB stays as is and everyone just works from home? Also Ben's been "on assignment" for a week and hasn't been there as long as her, so.....

Jun 26, 2020
As someone who needs healthcare and will tough a job out until I find something more suitable or the bull shit blows over, ain't nothing wrong with it
Listen, if I had a job where I got to play video games, fuck around and get paid simultaneously for it then I'd be head over heels as well. Not knocking him for that as he at least tries and contributes as an employee unlike the other cunt.

Sep 7, 2011

Javthusiast

Mar 20, 2017
So what I got from the reee thread, which btw is fellating her hard right now, is that she chose not to continue under the new company and look for something new?

Pandemic etc. and she chose to let go of an easy job without having something lined up first? Well...good luck.

Although the sad part is, seeing all those reddit and reee simps, that she probably can make a living by starting a patreon for shitty fortnite and sims playthroughs.

HoodWinked

Jun 30, 2010
Earth
She has nothing to transition, and no one to transition it to. If she already had a job lined up, ok, fine. But she's already begging for a job on Twitter.

Think anyone intelligent is going to leave their job at end of year, with nothing lined up, during a pandemic? She got canned, man.

she wasn't fired, like she said she's been looking for other opportunities she likely has a extremely high view of herself, and naive since she got this job out of college why wouldn't she think that now she'd be able to get a better job just as easily.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018
She has nothing to transition, and no one to transition it to. If she anyway had a job lined up, ok, fine. But she's already being for a job on Twitter.
40 hours of labor a week that's lost is 40 hours of labor a week that's lost; it does make a difference to a work load

Minus the pandemic part, I've done that a few times; I won't claim to be the most intelligent person out there, but it's doable
Not that this is my stance, but you could always do the converse and say that someone leaving during a pandemic etc and scores a job that makes them more money would be intelligent

There's also absolutely no reason for a company to keep around an employee they're firing for so long; that makes 0 sense in the context of her having no work to transition to other people

TeezzyD

Fantastik Tuna
Mar 18, 2020
The whole initial appeal of giant bomb was the laid back, just some fat dudes on a couch playing games vibe the site had. "Let's make fun of shit and not care too much about professionalism." It was the antithesis to how GameSpot and IGN were running the show. Abby never had the right chilled out vibe for that. Shes was like that annoying chick your buddy would start bringing around everywhere who just sorta brought the mood down any time you just wanted to be dudes. Same problem with Patrick, and Austin also.

Last edited:

brap

Jan 9, 2018
The whole initial appeal of giant bomb was the laid back, just some fat dudes on a couch playing games vibe the site had. "Let's make fun of shit and not care too much about professionalism." It was the antithesis to how GameSpot and IGN were running the show. Abby never had the right chilled out vibe for that. Shes was like that annoying chick your buddy would start bringing around everywhere who just sorta brought the mood down any time you just wanted to be dudes. Same problem with Patrick, and Austin also.
B-but she's the first girl I lost my virginity to so I have to bring her everywhere! I love her so much!!

TheBigG753

Aug 4, 2011
So what I got from the reee thread, which btw is fellating her hard right now, is that she chose not to continue under the new company and look for something new?

Pandemic etc. and she chose to let go of an easy job without having something lined up first? Well...good luck.

Although the sad part is, seeing all those reddit and reee simps, that she probably can make a living by starting a patreon for shitty fortnite and sims playthroughs.
That thread is a hilarious read. It's the same post over and over, she's super talented and funny and "brought so much energy" to the site. We're gonna really miss all of that energy.

GOTY talks will might actually be listenable this year
I guess she's leaving at the end of November, so I'm assuming she's still going to be a part of GOTY, sadly (not that I had much interest in listening this year anyway).

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Ubergender - contains all other genders
Oct 10, 2018
Mom’s basement with my tendies

She got canned dude. No one just quits and says “I’ll leave in a month and a half.” You put in your two weeks and the company let’s you ride out the two weeks or they’ll say “Nah you can just leave now.”

She got canned like some fucking bumblebee tuna

🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

Javthusiast

Mar 20, 2017
Yeah, she probably will still manage to ruin this years goty talks, but let‘s be honest it‘s not like any of the other staff members will have played any significant number big games this year to completion anyway to provide a good thorough discussion.

brap

Jan 9, 2018
Yeah, she probably will still manage to ruin this years goty talks, but let‘s be honest it‘s not like any of the other staff members will have played any significant number big games this year to completion anyway to provide a good thorough discussion.
Jan: dude like dude fuck dude like bro like pikachu dude and shit dude pokemon bro
Ben: gargling his partner's semen in the background constantly to the point where it just becomes white noise

Aug 30, 2018
She got canned dude. No one just quits and says “I’ll leave in a month and a half.” You put in your two weeks and the company let’s you ride out the two weeks or they’ll say “Nah you can just leave now.”

She got canned like some fucking bumblebee tuna

🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳
There's also absolutely no reason for a company to keep around an employee they're firing for so long; that makes 0 sense in the context of her having no work to transition to other people
Also no legal obligation in a sale to continue employment with people, and with the lay offs, why not just hit her with that?

I'm not saying one way or the other, because both are possible, I have just seen more long term phase outs of employees than I have employers put a firing date so far out??
Doesn't make sense from an employer stand point as much as you guys see it being nonsensical from her stand point
EDIT: Like what job have you ever had where they were like "We're gonna fire you in like, a month"
EDIT2: That and being in IT I would throw stuff at whatever manager would tell someone they're getting fired and not immediately remove all access from the systems. That's fucking begging for retaliation, especially at an associate level. You fire someone, you can them that day and remove all access so they can't do shit back to you.

Last edited:

TeezzyD

Fantastik Tuna
Mar 18, 2020
What exactly was it that people actually liked about Abby? What 'fresh perspective' did I miss?

Is it just because she's like some weird nerdy hipster chick?

Honest question, I don't follow GB as closely as I used to.

Ramagamma

Banned
Mar 22, 2017
Is it normal now that people just gush on twitter about things they enjoy? Do people not just enjoy things without fawning over them? Fuckin hell millenials are broke
What exactly was it that people actually liked about Abby? What 'fresh perspective' did I miss?

she streame fortnite on youtube

CharlieTuna

Nov 21, 2019

I think that for the most part, it's just the usual reaction from fans about anything GB related being GREAAAAAAAAAAAAAT OMG SO GOOD. There's also the fear of saying something that's not 1000% in line with the narrative and being called out/banned for being a white supremacist nazi.

IMO Abby was alright at the start, but when the first GOTY came about she came across as really childish and that really soured me on her, and as time went on she didn't do much to change that. I still think she was a overall better addition than Ben, for instance.

TheBigG753

Aug 4, 2011
Was her first GOTY the one with all of her Nier Automata bullshit?

CUPHEAD SHOULD BE HIGHER

COHESIVE
Yup.

"I think this game is very good, but I also think that Cuphead should be higher"

EDIT: If I'm not mistaken, that was also the same year she got Yakuza 0 bumped from the list in favor of Dream Daddy when everyone else took her side vs. Dan. He made such a much better, stronger case for that game but he had no chance in that room.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Ubergender - contains all other genders
Oct 10, 2018
Mom’s basement with my tendies
Yup.

"I think this game is very good, but I also think that Cuphead should be higher"

EDIT: If I'm not mistaken, that was also the same year she got Yakuza 0 bumped from the list in favor of Dream Daddy when everyone else took her side vs. Dan. He made such a much better, stronger case for that game but he had no chance in that room.

Yakuza and Horizon both got shafted that year 😑

• Empathy
Reactions: TheBigG753

eot

Apr 13, 2012
I was going to say that maybe I'll start listening to the beastcast again, but in the meanwhile Alex and Vinny have become borderline insufferable too.

• Strength
Reactions: saltinekracka

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
It’ll be interesting to see if they slowly start being a little bit more off the cuff and brash now that she isn’t there. You can tell the room vibe always changed from a way more walking on eggshells kind of tone whenever she was there. I’d say you might see a bit of return to form in the coming months...maybe.

but honestly I couldn’t care less. They lost me a while ago and I’ll never subscribe again. I have lost all respect I had for them.

Aug 30, 2018
It’ll be interesting to see if they slowly start being a little bit more off the cuff and brash now that she isn’t there. You can tell the room vibe always changed from a way more walking on eggshells kind of tone whenever she was there. I’d say you might see a bit of return to form in the coming months...maybe.

but honestly I couldn’t care less. They lost me a while ago and I’ll never subscribe again. I have lost all respect I had for them.
Oi, you're a suit

What do you think of her leaving and how she phrased it, the date, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.