• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

Mushoomba

Aug 15, 2020
I was going to say that maybe I'll start listening to the beastcast again, but in the meanwhile Alex and Vinny have become borderline insufferable too.
I was thinking the exact same thing, the early Beastcast episodes with Vinny, Alex, and Jeff B were really solid. Hopefully, the vibe will change after she's not there and they go back to their old style. Even comparing the current Beastcast with the Hotspot it's already pretty obvious that Vinny and Alex act differently than they do when Abby is on content with them.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Oi, you're a suit

What do you think of her leaving and how she phrased it, the date, etc?
I couldn't be more pleased that she is gone. Like I've said over and over again, her attitude was atrocious. Her smug self-importance of making every single thing about her is what was the most annoying.

I don't believe her at all that she just "decided and chose" to leave. Not for one second. Just as all the others from the same company got canned? Yeah right.

I think that it's GB who is allowing her to basically save face and stay on. We'll never know for sure, but I'd put money down that she is just getting to stay on to build up that loyalty and bring some of those wierdos that praise her with her before she bolts.

The only other thing that I could think of is that she really thinks that fortnite video was so good that she can go on her own and do it, but I really do think she is lying... like she always does, and is just saying it to make herself look more like it was her choice instead of anything else.

Rei no Otaku

Jul 4, 2008
Cranston, RI
Also no legal obligation in a sale to continue employment with people, and with the lay offs, why not just hit her with that?

I'm not saying one way or the other, because both are possible, I have just seen more long term phase outs of employees than I have employers put a firing date so far out??
Doesn't make sense from an employer stand point as much as you guys see it being nonsensical from her stand point
EDIT: Like what job have you ever had where they were like "We're gonna fire you in like, a month"
EDIT2: That and being in IT I would throw stuff at whatever manager would tell someone they're getting fired and not immediately remove all access from the systems. That's fucking begging for retaliation, especially at an associate level. You fire someone, you can them that day and remove all access so they can't do shit back to you.

Everyone who was let go from the CBSi sale was told their last day was 11/30. So all your theories about how companies fire people are wrong here. She was fired and Jeff allowed her to say she chose to leave so she can save face.

To add to that when the letters started going out they mentioned it on one of the Hotspots and how they'd talk about how the lay offs affected them at a later date. They knew she was gone that day.

Last edited:

waylo

Jan 7, 2018
I love that you aren't allowed to have a negative opinion on Abby because she's a GIRL!!1!

Guaranteed none of them would say a damn thing if someone said the same thing about Alex.

Good riddance to her. She fucking sucks. Always had a shit attitude and she knows dick all about video games that aren't The Sims or Nancy Drew.

waylo

Jan 7, 2018
God that Resetera thread is nauseating. If you have a negative opinion of Abby YOU'RE A SEXIST PIG AND YOU CAN GARGLE BLEACH!

• Fire
Reactions: TheBigG753

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019

Everyone who was let go from the CBSi sale was told their last day was 11/30. So all your theories about how companies fire people are wrong here. She was fired and Jeff allowed her to say she chose to leave so she can save face.

To add to that when the letters started going out they mentioned it on one of the Hotspots and how they'd talk about how the lay offs affected them at a later date. They knew she was gone that day.
Thank you! I was looking for that to verify the date to confirm what I said - she's a lying hag that got canned. Someone on Twitter needs to drag her through the mud on that one.

Jul 2, 2014
When abby and ben joined - I cancelled my giantbomb sub after paying for about 5 years. She was truly fucking awful. Ben still might arguably be worse. But dear lord I might check out some of the content again if I know it's only Ben I have to dodge.

Or is Jeff still in the "i don't give a fuck about any of this anymore" mood?

Fuck I really miss old GB. Even after Ryan sadly passsed. It was still good a few years.

Honestly if there is one type of person in the world I loathe the most. It's the talentless, unfunny, sanctimonious cunts who think improv is a form of comedy. Abby had it all.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Aug 30, 2018

Hats off; I'm not the one to ever touch Twitter and such, so I didn't go looking at the lay off dates

So yeah, that piece included, totes just to save face

Here's a thought; they could be sitting on how to say they're being merged and slashed with GameSpot. Sure they had a Bombcast since, but that could be a lot of shuffle talk before hand on why they haven't said anything
EDIT: Logic behind it is, if they're already tip toeing her being laid off, what about others in the team, especially if it's a part of merging the two teams?

Last edited:

waylo

Jan 7, 2018
When abby and ben joined - I cancelled my giantbomb sub after paying for about 5 years. She was truly fucking awful. Ben still might arguably be worse. But dear lord I might check out some of the content again if I know it's only Ben I have to dodge.

Or is Jeff still in the "i don't give a fuck about any of this anymore" mood?

Fuck I really miss old GB. Even after Ryan sadly passsed. It was still good a few years.

Honestly if there is one type of person in the world I loathe the most. It's the talentless, unfunny, sanctimonious cunts who think improv is a form of comedy. Abby had it all.
Ben kinda sucks, but at the very least the dude is interested in games. Abby very clearly never gave a shit.

Everyone arguing she "brought a different viewpoint" is an idiot. It'd be like a sports podcast hiring a beautician. Yeah, cool she brings an alternate viewpoint that nobody else on the podcast does. That alternate viewpoint being of someone who has no fucking clue what anyone is talking about at any given time and always tries to steer the conversation toward something totally different.

I'm all for people with different tastes, but the person still needs to have even a passing interest and some basic knowledge in the overall subject of the site/podcast.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Hats off; I'm not the one to ever touch Twitter and such, so I didn't go looking at the lay off dates

So yeah, that piece included, totes just to save face

Here's a thought; they could be sitting on how to say they're being merged and slashed with GameSpot. Sure they had a Bombcast since, but that could be a lot of shuffle talk before hand on why they haven't said anything
EDIT: Logic behind it is, if they're already tip toeing her being laid off, what about others in the team, especially if it's a part of merging the two teams?
Made me think - all this could likely explain why they have all been so suck ass in their dour demeanor and quality/quantity of output.

In any of several acquisitions I've been through, rumors of and then near certainty of said sale/merger/etc happens all the way down the ladder long before any official news hits formal corporate announcements. Bad gas travels fast in a small town and there's no way they didn't all know about the sale months ago, but the item up in the air was the org restructuring, downsizing, layoffs etc.

I also noticed an uptick in output over the last month with respect to quick looks, almost as if they got scared and stated making a last chance scramble to show the new bosses "no really, were important look at how much work we do!" before formal layoffs happened.

Or it's just speculative fiction I concocted and they are no more than angry lazy burnouts.

Last edited:

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
May 9, 2006
Maine
Lmao, someone dared to stray from the "ABBY IS SO AMAZING!" script:
I love that you aren't allowed to have a negative opinion on Abby because she's a GIRL!!1!

Guaranteed none of them would say a damn thing if someone said the same thing about Alex.

Good riddance to her. She fucking sucks. Always had a shit attitude and she knows dick all about video games that aren't The Sims or Nancy Drew.

I wasn't even trying to be mean, I just wanted to add my two cents to the discussion. I don't know what I was thinking, posting at all. I'm not a sexist but I was called such just because. It's really unfortunate when the community doesn't allow any opposing views and only seeks to be an echo chamber. I thought they were supposed to be pro-diversity, but in the cases of opinions they don't tolerate it at all.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019
I don't want to pile on too much, but Abby was always a really bad fit for GB and I'm actually surprised she lasted this long.

Having said that, I wouldn't get too excited about the prospect of this improving GB. Abby isn't the main reason GB has taken a massive nosedive the last few years. More importantly, the core crew doesn't have to same passion they used to and I'm pretty sure that's gone for good.

Sep 7, 2011
I wasn't even trying to be mean, I just wanted to add my two cents to the discussion. I don't know what I was thinking, posting at all. I'm not a sexist but I was called such just because. It's really unfortunate when the community doesn't allow any opposing views and only seeks to be an echo chamber. I thought they were supposed to be pro-diversity, but in the cases of opinions they don't tolerate it at all.

whattheduck

Neo Member
Sep 17, 2020
Ok Vinny. Jeff. If you can read this, please listen..

You do not *need* to hire: a trans person, a black person, a woman, a Muslim, a disabled person, a Communist (same as disabled really), a beanbag, a Honda Prius, or anything else OTHER than someone *who has an enthusiast interest in games and has a fun presence on your website*.

They can be any kind of person, as long as they actually makes sense for Giant Bomb. I hope this message reaches you well. Thanks

ViolentP

Jan 13, 2009
That ain't EvAv, dawg.

Aug 11, 2019

You do not *need* to hire: a trans person, a black person, a woman, a Muslim, a disabled person, a Communist (same as disabled really), a beanbag, a Honda Prius, or anything else OTHER than someone *who has an enthusiast interest in games and has a fun presence on your website*.

They can be any kind of person, as long as they actually makes sense for Giant Bomb. I hope this message reaches you well. Thanks
I second this

Unfortunately I have a feeling they're not going to get to hire someone new. If I were to put my money on it RV is going to try and consolidate GB back into a single entity or just absorb it into Gamespot eventually.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
May 9, 2006
Maine
That ain't EvAv, dawg.
Hey, I have mostly quit posting since those days. Wife, kids, family stuff. And I think I was better off all these years. Probably going back under my hole for another decade. :)

Last edited:

ViolentP

Jan 13, 2009
Hey, I have mostly quit posting since those days. Wife, kids, family stuff. And I think I was better off all these years. Probably going back under my hole for another decade. :)
It really is for the best. Good seeing you, bruv.

May 22, 2019
So I was watching the latest bombcast and I almost pissed myself laughing at Jason's ad lib of "that makes sense to me." Then I saw the top YouTube comment talking about this moment. I hope it gets clipped.

w1n5t0n

Neo Member
Oct 11, 2020

I don't think there gonna be hiring someone anytime soon.

HoodWinked

Jun 30, 2010
Earth
So I was watching the latest bombcast and I almost pissed myself laughing at Jason's ad lib of "that makes sense to me." Then I saw the top YouTube comment talking about this moment. I hope it gets clipped.
i went to seek this out cause your post, and noticed no ben, wow a bombcast worth listening to.

waylo

Jan 7, 2018

This should be the general philosophy for any business looking to hire. Unfortunately it's 2020 where we don't hire the best person for the job anymore. We hire to fill a diversity quota to please a small, but very vocal group of people.

Toaster man

Jul 16, 2020

And this is why I come to GAF.
All of these simps act like she is going to be joining another games outlet. She is no austin walker. She is probably out of games aside from twitch streaming. Maybe some indie devs hires her to write for a comedic game or something, but I highly doubt she covers games in the future.

If she really was let go its amazing that they actually concocted this story of her leaving of her own accord. She gets handled with kids gloves even as she goes out the door. I wondered why even bother lying? There is no shame in being laid off, and like someone else said she put in 4 years that will look good on a resume, but then I realized that this lie probably helps Abby save face but it is also useful for GB. GB wouldn't want the narrative of having been acquired and laid off their first female hire. Twitter would go crazy about how Jeff has thrown marginalized voice to the curb (even if he had no control over it). It would be a bad look for GB.