• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

PuppetMaster

Jun 12, 2007
I just heard the news on the Beastcast! Guess I am way late to the party.

But I hope East picks up someone good!

Last edited:

Allforce

Feb 29, 2012
Why hasn't GB just gone like a patreon route by now? Or is that something that is in the lore I don't know about?

I've been listening to these guys in some form for 20 years at this point and never given them a dime (not out of spite, just laziness/apathy), it's weird and I have no idea how they make their money or if they're paid well. Seems working in SF and NYC aint cheap for anyone.

Like, in an ideal world they just stream shit from home and start a Patreon that will immediately shoot to the Top 10, raking in 30-50K a month I would assume given how loyal the fanbase is and based on other creators who went that route (Easy Allies, Kinda Funny, Jim Sterling).

Last edited:

TeezzyD

Fantastik Tuna
Mar 18, 2020
The thing I always find irritating about Jeff is when he really belabors the point when expressing that something isn't for him. Like when they discussed Among Us on the last Bombcast. It's like he feels the need to clear the runway so everyone can hear him be the Debbie Downer about a fun thing everyone else is enjoying. And it almost seems like his sly intent to make you feel dumb for liking the thing he doesn't. In those moments he acts like his opinion is so heavyweight that it demands to be stated strongly, and it's just really off putting.
I actually listened to the beginning of the latest Bombcast just out of curiosity. I've not played Among Us, but Jeff's stance confirmed that I likely wouldn't dig it much. He compared it to D&D and saying that he doesn't like the whole aspect of 'putting on a show' and that could not encapsulate more the very thing I've always found annoying whenever my friends coerced me into playing any sorta tabletop RPG. They love getting super into their characters and can apparently imagine these grand worlds... and I just can't. I love RPGs in video game form, but I could never quite put into words what it was about D&D that pissed me off. It's too much left to the imagination and the need to like pretend you're some goblin mage or something is weird to me.

So yeah, I still enjoy Jeff's input, I guess.

Men_in_Boxes

May 31, 2020
Holy cow - this thread is wild!

Why are y'all doing this to yourselves if you hate the content so much?!
I noticed similar behavior on the Sam Harris subreddit as well as the Adam Carolla subreddit. Some people like to hate in groups while still following that which they hate. It's super odd.

There's definitely a psychological thing going on here. Anyone have any theories?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Rebo

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
I haven't watched any Giant Bomb stuff in a while, have they talked at all about what they'll be like under the new company?

It seems though that Red Ventures isn't afraid to clean house as little orphan dipshit found out.

Somebody should send the people involved with the acquisition this thread, we're the only ones actually telling the truth about Giant Bomb. I wonder if anybody else will get fired.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
I noticed similar behavior on the Sam Harris subreddit as well as the Adam Carolla subreddit. Some people like to hate in groups while still following that which they hate. It's super odd.

There's definitely a psychological thing going on here. Anyone have any theories?
And yet, you're here as well.

Any theories?

FlaminHotCheeto

Neo Member
Jun 3, 2020
I enjoyed Abby a lot during her first year. Aside from the GotY stuff, she meshed very well with Dan/Alex/Vinny, and they were the only part of GB I even bothered watching in 2017-2018. I remember coming home from class and watching their Wednesday live shows and enjoying them so much. Sadly, she got worse and more infantile with her opinions as she got more comfortable, and then she became insufferable on Twitter, and it leaked into their content more and more. Instead of having West be a boring slog and East having at least 2-3 videos worth watching, it became both coasts being completely unwatchable at times. Then the pandemic happened, and they somehow outdid themselves and got even more lazy and unenthused about everything.

At this point I just want to see how it all ends. I don't want anyone to suffer or be out on the streets, so I hope they all can at least find something else in these crazy times. I just don't think the work is there to justify keeping so many people employed who do fuck all of anything.

Ogrebushi

Neo Member
Jun 3, 2019
And yet, you're here as well.

Any theories?
Also the sam harris and adam carolla thing kind of falls apart in comparison since those are both (mostly) singular entities to either like or hate
when your gb consists of at least 9 (hooray one less soon!) people.
So a large swath of complaints have been about one or two cogs in the machine that make the rest suck (even if some of the old standby cogs like brad are a bit dull, or jeff negative)
I think most of us wouldnt be complaining as much about brad/jeff/alex's flaws if the newer members (ben/abby) didnt already drag everything down.
Hell if ben could just learn not to do his slurp teeth thing and randomly interrupt to try and get a joke in but not have the brain power to hit anything near 5% success rate and most being "uhhhh umm yah!" levels of 'wit'

Reactions: JovianLizards

Cheesewheel

Jun 16, 2013
Yup.

"I think this game is very good, but I also think that Cuphead should be higher"

EDIT: If I'm not mistaken, that was also the same year she got Yakuza 0 bumped from the list in favor of Dream Daddy when everyone else took her side vs. Dan. He made such a much better, stronger case for that game but he had no chance in that room.
Abby: Dream Daddy was soooo good!
Dan: So what makes it so good that it deservers to be on the list?
Abby: It's so touching and really cohesive and it really pushes the genre forward !
Dan: Have you got any experience with other visual novels that allow you to back up that statement?
Abby: .... well ... no ... but
Everyone: DAN STFU THIS IS UNFAIR STOP BEING SO ARROGANT AND COMBATIVE

Me listening: Wait what? how has Dan become the problem here for asking legit questions????

Also Abby: I think Nier Automata's soundtrack sounds like generic anime garbage.

brap

Jan 9, 2018
Abby: It's so touching and really cohesive and it really pushes the genre forward !
Dan: Have you got any experience with other visual novels that allow you to back up that statement?

Me listening: Wait what? how has Dan become the problem here for asking legit questions????

Also Abby: I think Nier Automata's soundtrack sounds like generic anime garbage.
Nier is a horny game

TeezzyD

Fantastik Tuna
Mar 18, 2020
Ben doesnt bother me much. Hes just kinda boring. Jeff seems to like him quite a bit, almost like hes taking him under his wing or something

whattheduck

Neo Member
Sep 17, 2020
I've said it before, I'll say it again: one of the reasons Giant Bomb was appealing was because it was a Boys Club for a bunch of guys who were passionate about the gaming industry. That's not a sexist indictment of women who like games or anything, it's merely to say that they fostered an environment that was particularly appealing to us pale virgin chuds who all think Mario is cooler than football. They were relatable in that sense.

Hiring a self-obsessed bratty quasi-dyke woker with seemingly a less passionate interest in games was not a move that appealed to members of their original Boys Club audience. Is that to say someone like her never could fit in? Not necessarily, but to me she always felt like a political hire because gender weirdos on Twitter would piss themselves with rage had they hired another odious straight white men, oooh scary!

Granted, the whole staff has changed for the worse in some ways over the years. Like their Trump Derangement Syndrome and snarky defenses of brainless bluehaired communist violence is shameful, but hey I can just about live with that. In that regard, they are simply worthy of pity, like so many other smartass progressive know-it-alls who practically live inside Twitter's servers.

Regardless I think Abby represents the worst of that tonal shift the site went through in the last few years, so hopefully this ignites a more sensible change in direction. Dan is a one-off, but use him as a template: someone who is passionate, interesting, entertaining, and YES even if he's.... SHOCK... A STRAIGHT WHITE MAN. 😳😳😳 I'm not saying people of that caliber are necessarily easy to find - and I know Abby's role was just a producer and not editor like Dan - but as long as that sort of template is in place, that's a fine start. (As opposed to the template of "let's find someone who won't make busybody Stalinists on social media angry")

Last edited:

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Ben doesnt bother me much. Hes just kinda boring. Jeff seems to like him quite a bit, almost like hes taking him under his wing or something
No skin off my butt. Just pointing out the obvious, in case anyone in the room was unsure.

I've read so many dozens of comments how people are so appreciative of the "fresh perspective" Abby brought to GB, that I think I'm starting to believe it. I just can't figure out what perspective that's supposed to be. Seriously, go to any of these threads, search for 'perspective' and your computer blue screens.

Reactions: TeezzyD

Philfrag

Neo Member
Jul 3, 2020
I get that everyone’s happy Abby is leaving, but for me the damage is done. Even if it was just the old team left, I still don’t think GB is for me anymore. The reason I stopped subscribing wasn’t just down to Ben, Abby and Jan, it was deeper. It was the teams lack of work ethic and then turning on the fans that made Giant Bomb the name it is today. Dan was the last flame of passion they had in that office and they did everything they could to blow it out. The old Giantbomb could have thrived easily with someone like Abby, but in later years Abby just exposed how weak, lethargic and smug they had all become. I thank Abby for her service, she saved me a lot of money in subscription payments in the last few years.

I also want to point out that games media in general is trash. The old giantbomb had no chance of surviving in the current landscape, they seemed to try to resist the pull of corporate influence but after a while it just became an act of pissing in the wind. The internet has been infiltrated by big business and political influence and a bunch of liberal white dudes with families to feed from San Fransisco aren’t going to be able to fight that. They have too much to lose. The sad thing for me is they didn’t even try in recent years. Maybe it just got too much. When I mourn Giant Bomb I don’t do it in a vacuum. I mourn the loss of what the internet as a whole was trying to be back then. You see specks of it here and there, but like Dan, it’s going to be slowly suffocated until It leaves for a gasp for air. Human expression needs a new platform. The internet is closing it’s gates.

Jun 26, 2008
Hey good luck Abby, take that severance package and be free of this Sysphean nightmare. For every merger I've been in, some office plague says "3 months paid AND my PTO balance!" and bails. Suddenly things get a little better.

I was going to pull out a hot take about how I wouldn't play Half Life Alyx if it just appeared in my house, but today is a day of reverie. Now for the credits.

I am going with the theory that since red ventures is now the parent company of GB that any chance of her using GB as a foot in the door to get her a comedy job with CBS/Viacom is now dead.

She is simply moving on as many here have predicted. GB East is starting to look pretty low on manpower. It’s just vinny and Alex?
Finally, Abby got her foot in the door with...*checks notes*...Red Venture.

All that pretending to be interested in video games is finally paying off for this young starlet.

Last edited:

brap

Jan 9, 2018
I get that everyone’s happy Abby is leaving, but for me the damage is done. Even if it was just the old team left, I still don’t think GB is for me anymore. The reason I stopped subscribing wasn’t just down to Ben, Abby and Jan, it was deeper. It was the teams lack of work ethic and then turning on the fans that made Giant Bomb the name it is today. Dan was the last flame of passion they had in that office and they did everything they could to blow it out. The old Giantbomb could have thrived easily with someone like Abby, but in later years Abby just exposed how weak, lethargic and smug they had all become. I thank Abby for her service, she saved me a lot of money in subscription payments in the last few years.

I also want to point out that games media in general is trash. The old giantbomb had no chance of surviving in the current landscape, they seemed to try to resist the pull of corporate influence but after a while it just became an act of pissing in the wind. The internet has been infiltrated by big business and political influence and a bunch of liberal white dudes with families to feed from San Fransisco aren’t going to be able to fight that. They have too much to lose. The sad thing for me is they didn’t even try in recent years. Maybe it just got too much. When I mourn Giant Bomb I don’t do it in a vacuum. I mourn the loss of what the internet as a whole was trying to be back then. You see specks of it here and there, but like Dan, it’s going to be slowly suffocated until It leaves for a gasp for air. Human expression needs a new platform. The internet is closing it’s gates.
Yeah, I probably won't ever watch GB again lmao.

Huh? I thought she made jewelry.
Idk. Some woman posted about her and jeff on tumblr and she posted nudes and dildo reviews there. Idk. It's been so long.

GymWolf

Jun 11, 2019

Lol do you have a link for this?

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Lol do you have a link for this?
That effectively paraphrases 4 hours of the infamous GOTY 2017 Best Game "discussion". Where GB turned a sharp corner right off a cliff. If you haven't watched it but don't have 4.5 hours of cringe tolerance in you, scrub around the video - Dan's body language is fantastic, rolling his eyes, shaking his head, obviously the only one at the table in disbelief of what he's hearing. Poor guy put up a competent fight.

Specifically to Cheese's comment, it's mostly here (48:05 if timestamp doesn't work):

Pilgrimm1981

Neo Member
Jun 3, 2020
The hulking mammoth of wokeness has been brought to it's knees!! Finish it!! Seriously though I hope she lands on her feet, if you hear how things are in the US right now, I can't imagine it being easy. The damage has been done though. GB, Abby-less or not, is so far gone from what it originally intended to be and I don't think anything can bring it back.

Small Change

Jul 17, 2020
Wow, I knew resetera by reputation but that thread is absolute lunacy. It definitely sounds like Red Ventures didn't want to continue with Abby on the team but someone worked it so she could save some face publicly. Even the dimmest person isn't going to leave a job without a plan during a pandemic that's going to cause huge economic upheaval. Hopefully it leads to the site becoming better but I think they culture of the whole thing has been shifted enough over time that losing any one problem member isn't going to fix it. The Beastcast will be tolerable again I suppose.

HotPocket69

Ubergender - contains all other genders
Oct 10, 2018
Fl
It's obvious they are letting her save face. It's so obvious. Why they would do that knowing full well that any intelligent person wouldn't buy it says a lot about their opinion of their audience.
Seriously, especially when the proof is right there in the GS employee tweets about their last days also being on 11/30. Someone said it earlier, but it is 100% spot on that they are handling her exit with kid gloves all the way until she is out the door.

Jun 26, 2020
Seriously, especially when the proof is right there in the GS employee tweets about their last days also being on 11/30. Someone said it earlier, but it is 100% spot on that they are handling her exit with kid gloves all the way until she is out the door.
Probably to avert the community freaking out over the loss of their beloved. It's brilliant. They avoid an unnecessary shitstorm and she gets to leave without making it seem like she wasn't fired, assuming you're retarded and believe that to be the case.