• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

TheBigG753

Aug 4, 2011
Pennsylvania
I've read so many dozens of comments how people are so appreciative of the "fresh perspective" Abby brought to GB, that I think I'm starting to believe it. I just can't figure out what perspective that's supposed to be. Seriously, go to any of these threads, search for 'perspective' and your computer blue screens.
Take a shot every time someone talks about how much "energy" she brought to the site. Two shots for "she's gonna kill it with whatever she does next!"

Jun 26, 2020
Take a shot every time someone talks about how much "energy" she brought to the site. Two shots for "she's gonna kill it with whatever she does next!"

DangerStepp

Sep 14, 2007
EDIT: Like what job have you ever had where they were like "We're gonna fire you in like, a month"
It's not unusual in corporate buy-outs; this is actually the most aggressive set of layoffs I've personally seen. They usually wait a while to figure out the org chart but RV came in swinging the axe.

In my experience I've seen people given longer (3 months), especially given the pandemic.

It allows for folks to find another job rather than be chucked to cardboard city.

Small Change

Jul 17, 2020
It's not unusual in corporate buy-outs; this is actually the most aggressive set of layoffs I've personally seen. They usually wait a while to figure out the org chart but RV came in swinging the axe.

In my experience I've seen people given longer (3 months), especially given the pandemic.

It allows for folks to find another job rather than be chucked to cardboard city.
Yeah this lines up with any of the buyouts and mergers I've been part of except it's taking place at the time of the buyout rather than six months or a year down the line when the new owners have gotten a good idea of what shape they want things to be in. As part of the process the people who have last days of 30th November will sign or have signed a document (on top of their contract) where they have to meet some requirements to get the payout/buyout so fucking with systems or deliberately doing bad work is going to cost you money along with any chance of a good reference or reputation.

I left a business and six months later they did a round of layoffs in middle management where the people who were on the way out were given nearly 4 months notice to handover.

Last edited:

Toaster man

Jul 16, 2020
Kind of weird how none of the rest of the GB staff have tweeted well wishes to Abby or anything. Most of them have a ghost presence on twitter these days but I would have expected Jeff the spiritual core of GB to give her some well wishes. One of his employees is leaving after all.

That was also another confusing thing about GB was Abby’s boss Vinny or Jeff? I can’t remember Jeff interacting with Abby much at all. I don’t watch all the premium stuff but he didn’t seem to vibe with her that much. The Abby experiment seems to be the brain child of Alex completely going for the “woke” hire and all the corresponding twitter adulation and hugs.

Reactions: JovianLizards

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Aug 30, 2018

Yeah this lines up with any of the buyouts and mergers I've been part of except it's taking place at the time of the buyout rather than six months or a year down the line when the new owners have gotten a good idea of what shape they want things to be in. As part of the process the people who have last days of 30th November will sign or have signed a document (on top of their contract) where they have to meet some requirements to get the payout/buyout so fucking with systems or deliberately doing bad work is going to cost you money along with any change of a good reference or reputation.

I left a business and six months later they did a round of layoffs in middle management where the people who were on the way out were given nearly 4 months notice to handover.
I've just had the complete opposite experience and same with a few colleagues

We get told of a merger, they do the "Don't hope for an email," thing that day/week and then axe the fuck outta people
Maybe we've just got into a basket where that happened, but I've legit never seen that sort of "We're canning you in ummm, like 3 months," shit

The only thing I can't really account for is the pandemic and how each company will handle that; shit company I'm working for now fired a dude right as the US closed up shop

Odd question; might you guys be 35+?

Warnen

Can he swing from a thread? Take a look overhead / Hey, there, there goes the Spider-Man
Sep 24, 2005
Sea lab
Wonder if there will be more shake up, ie maybe moving to YouTube for vids (seems lots more stuff going there now), combining the east and west cost podcast into one thing since already having to do it remotely.

Small Change

Jul 17, 2020
I've just had the complete opposite experience and same with a few colleagues

We get told of a merger, they do the "Don't hope for an email," thing that day/week and then axe the fuck outta people
Maybe we've just got into a basket where that happened, but I've legit never seen that sort of "We're canning you in ummm, like 3 months," shit

The only thing I can't really account for is the pandemic and how each company will handle that; shit company I'm working for now fired a dude right as the US closed up shop

Odd question; might you guys be 35+?
Not quite there but almost. The only time I've seen a "clean out your desk, you're gone" along with the guy's credentials being completely frozen and locked out that day was in a gross misconduct case (snapped with his boss and was very obviously trying to physically fight him) which are obviously rare in most places.

In some cases you'll be put on "gardening leave" which just means you're gone but you're still technically an employee until the agreed upon date. That's either reserved for employees who might have the potential to try something or if the news gets out and they want to save someone the embarrassment.

It's also worth pointing out that I'm from a country that mandates redundancy payouts for most employees (unless you have been there a very short period of time) and if you don't get some from the company, you get some from the state. However, if you do some crazy shit like fucking up an IT system, deleting files or other retaliation your redundancy suddenly becomes a dismissal for gross misconduct and you are losing out on potentially large sums of money.

I was once "given the responsibilities" of some of the work of a guy who was being shown the door. His handover was to forward me a short word doc and then to put his feet up on his desk for a month while winding down the clock. Not malicious but probably not what the company had envisaged but I couldn't blame the guy.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: ThatGamingDude

Spukc

Jan 24, 2015
I unsubbed so hard from that podcast when i started to notice that all the other hosts started to imitate the way this red haired c*nt was talking. It was like listening to two junkies high on crystal meth fucking each other in a dumpster bin filled with broken glass.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Aug 30, 2018
Not quite there but almost. The only time I've seen a "clean out your desk, you're gone" along with the guy's credentials being completely frozen and locked out that day was in a gross misconduct case (snapped with his boss and was very obviously trying to physically fight him) which are obviously rare in most places.
Shit, that's the way lay offs are conducted out here in the USA; they'll either gather everyone in a big ass room and have everyone line up to sign paperwork or you'll get called 1 by 1; no reason to finish the rest of the day, we'll give you the pay, clean out your desk and head home

In some cases you'll be put on "gardening leave" which just means you're gone but you're still technically an employee until the agreed upon date. That's either reserved for employees who might have the potential to try something or if the news gets out and they want to save someone the embarrassment.
That's the type of thing I see when a senior or someone in a small high production team wants to move on, but never with a firing. They don't tell you shit because of...
However, if you do some crazy shit like fucking up an IT system, deleting files or other retaliation your redundancy suddenly becomes a dismissal for gross misconduct and you are losing out on potentially large sums of money.
And instead of losing out on money, you get sued and possibly have charges placed on you

Mushoomba

Aug 15, 2020
That was also another confusing thing about GB was Abby’s boss Vinny or Jeff? I can’t remember Jeff interacting with Abby much at all. I don’t watch all the premium stuff but he didn’t seem to vibe with her that much. The Abby experiment seems to be the brain child of Alex completely going for the “woke” hire and all the corresponding twitter adulation and hugs.
Vinny was her boss and he was the one who hired her. Jeff was most likely her boss as well, but she would respond to Vinny.

Vinny was the one in charge to find a new producer for East because he's the boss in that office but also because he needed to find a good producer who could reduce his workload and let him go on vacations knowing there was someone else there who could do the same things as he does. As we all know now, that never happened since Abby quickly became more of an on-camera personality who still needed Vinny's help for most of the production work.

What's interesting is that one of her biggest friends is Casey Malone. Casey Malone is close friends with Giant Bomb, from working together with Alex on Harmonix. It was also revealed recently that people who worked on production jobs for Game Informer applied for the same gig but didn't make it and Abby was hired instead.

Reactions: JovianLizards

Small Change

Jul 17, 2020
And instead of losing out on money, you get sued and possibly have charges placed on you
The sue part of this could happen (unless you decided that some kind of theft or smashing your boss' face in was your retaliation then legal charges would come into the equation based on value of the property etc) but it's quite rare as employer law here is stacked mostly in the favour of the company. What is happening with GB and CBSi would fall under the category of "redundancy" where I'm from and even that requires quite a bit of legwork from the employer to shore up legally and obviously requires a payout. Firing someone either requires it to be an absolute black and white case (fighting/assault, illegal drug use showing up on a test, being caught stealing etc) or it's all but guaranteed the employee can take the employer to court for unfair dismissal if they have the patience for it.

I'm not sure why Red Ventures is being so cautious but it seems as if they are operating in a way I'm familiar with despite being from another country. Some of the Gamespot people seem to have been let go instantly though although one of them was the social manager and with the keys to their social accounts she could have caused some serious damage if she was dumb enough to make that kind of trouble for herself.

Back on topic and I wonder what their farewell stream for Abby is. Do they intentionally troll her "haters" and give the fans what they want with a marathon Nancy Drew stream while Abby chews chicken nuggets into her mic or do they do something interesting?

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Mar 20, 2017
Visited the giant bomb subreddit for the first time today. Posted that she most likely was fired, said bye Felicia. Got some gross, yikes comments and was then finally banned after calling out the whole subreddit being Abby simps.

Wouldn't have it any other way. xD

vip3r

Aug 22, 2020
Probably to avert the community freaking out over the loss of their beloved. It's brilliant. They avoid an unnecessary shitstorm and she gets to leave without making it seem like she wasn't fired, assuming you're retarded and believe that to be the case.
It kind of sounds like she was going to be forced out (probably because she was hired to be a producer but she didn’t want to produce) and then instead of getting canned, Jeff allowed her to wait so she could get a severance package.

Reactions: Mushoomba

Cheesewheel

Jun 16, 2013

"Huge loss for GB though. Perhaps their best ever hire. That's a lot of creativity and energy gone."

Had a look at RE for the first time since the gaf split and holy shit what in the ever loving fuck is going on there.
Also that CDPR thread is wild.

Jun 26, 2020
Said I think she wasnt a great fit for the website on subreddit, got deleted 🤷🏼‍♂️

They said I wasnt respectful, when I barely said anything negative. Lmao
I love the double standards. There was a thread from either last week or this week about Dan and folks were shitting on him pretty hard. Bianca was even in that thread replying to some posters.

CharlieTuna

Nov 21, 2019
The Reee GB people were always looking for opportunities to cancel Dan. I remembered when they bashed him for not being anti-Trump enough, and then when he tweeted something like "Boy, this Trump fella doesn't seem like a good person" they bashed him for making light jokes of literal nazism or something like that. They always hated that he liked being an American, it's really weird.

Small Change

Jul 17, 2020
I love the double standards. There was a thread from either last week or this week about Dan and folks were shitting on him pretty hard. Bianca was even in that thread replying to some posters.
Yeah, Dan was always the exception to the rule of being "excellent to each other" on that sub. There was definitely some discussion at times that if anyone on the staff might have "problematic" opinions it would be Dan. I'm guessing that's because he's from the Midwest and didn't constantly wail about politics but it's still pretty fucked up to make the assumption. Bianca is wasting her time with the people on that sub, especially the lunatic mods. I'm guessing only the fact that she's a "friend of the site" is protecting her from her posts being disappeared and her copping a ban.

I'm looking through the Resetera GB community thread (have never visited the site, just know it by its horrendous reputation) after seeing the link to their Abby thread. Did the posters there post here once upon a time? If so you have my condolences because these guys are beyond belief. Utter delusion and many posts where they up front talk about the shopping list of mental illnesses they have.

Cheesewheel

Jun 16, 2013
Yeah, Dan was always the exception to the rule of being "excellent to each other" on that sub. There was definitely some discussion at times that if anyone on the staff might have "problematic" opinions it would be Dan. I'm guessing that's because he's from the Midwest and didn't constantly wail about politics but it's still pretty fucked up to make the assumption. Bianca is wasting her time with the people on that sub, especially the lunatic mods. I'm guessing only the fact that she's a "friend of the site" is protecting her from her posts being disappeared and her copping a ban.

I'm looking through the Resetera GB community thread (have never visited the site, just know it by its horrendous reputation) after seeing the link to their Abby thread. Did the posters there post here once upon a time? If so you have my condolences because these guys are beyond belief. Utter delusion and many posts where they up front talk about the shopping list of mental illnesses they have.
Yeh they all migrated to RE. tbh the threads weren't all that bad because they didn't have the new hires yet. Dan got the occasional keyboard bashing because of his ignorance and manic energy, but the community hadn't gone off the deep end with endless gushing praise and the constant need for GB to be a "safe space".

Edit: People weren't afraid to bash Brad either during his filibusters and until Ben and Abby showed up and copped a bit of criticism I'd never seen anyone feel the need to make a "praise" thread as a feelgood kneejerk reaction.

I haven't looked at the re gb thread because i really dont want to know.

Last edited:

Mushoomba

Aug 15, 2020
What's Bianca's username? Don't think I ran into her posts after a quick skim.

Ponsay 17 points 3 days ago
Dan plays up a lot of things for the camera.
Ellimem -11 points 3 days ago
It's ridiculous that people still think this.
mushymeltypuppy 8 points 23 hours ago
As his wife I can confirm that he plays up a lot for the camera.

Based on that comment, it should be the last username.

frostyxc

Mar 30, 2012
Seattle
frostyxc.tumblr.com
No skin off my butt. Just pointing out the obvious, in case anyone in the room was unsure.

I've read so many dozens of comments how people are so appreciative of the "fresh perspective" Abby brought to GB, that I think I'm starting to believe it. I just can't figure out what perspective that's supposed to be. Seriously, go to any of these threads, search for 'perspective' and your computer blue screens.
Stalin had a fresh perspective on farm management.

So what happens to that new office she got?
Hilarious comedy will be birthed there until she is evicted for non-payment.

Jul 13, 2020
Abby Russell is the Sarah Palin of Giant Bomb. A desperate diversity hire who had no awareness of her own inadequacies for the position. Improperly vetted, self-entitled, and too stubborn to take constructive criticism. Doing irreparable damage to the organization she was hired to help improve. Abby single-handedly ruined the GOTY format. She will not be missed, but the damage is already done.

Note: This is all from my recollection of 2012's Game Change on HBO.

EDIT: Oh also in both cases there were plenty of other women who were actually qualified for the job.

Last edited:

frostyxc

Mar 30, 2012
Seattle
frostyxc.tumblr.com
Abby Russell is the Sarah Palin of Giant Bomb. A desperate diversity hire who had no awareness of her own inadequacies for the position. Improperly vetted, self-entitled, and too stubborn to take constructive criticism. Doing irreparable damage to the organization she was hired to help improve. Abby single-handedly ruined the GOTY format. She will not be missed, but the damage is already done.

Note: This is all from my recollection of 2012's Game Change on HBO.

EDIT: Oh also in both cases there were plenty of other women who were actually qualified for the job.
At least you could imagine Palin in a bikini and not refund your Jimmy John's all over the dash of your car.

TeezzyD

Fantastik Tuna
Mar 18, 2020
No skin off my butt. Just pointing out the obvious, in case anyone in the room was unsure.

I was actually reading the Era thread because people here were mentioning how upset they were. Not a single one of them actually explains what her fresh perspective entailed.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Aug 30, 2018
ElKaBong? That you? Thought you had a mental breakdown.
Here, I've done techno wizardry and pulled part of the edited post back from the grave
I've read so many dozens of comments how people are so appreciative of the "fresh prespective" Abby brought to GB, that I think I'm starting to believe it. I just can't figure out what perspective that's supposed to be. Seriously, go to any of these threads, search for 'perspective' and your...
Best I can do

• Triggered
Reactions: Drunkenski
Jun 13, 2019
Bottom of the barrel.
Who are all these weirdos praising Abby for her output?

Notice how none of them can point toward a particular video or scene she was in and just faintly praise her for "content"

I'm so happy she's leaving. Maybe next time GB will hire somebody with knowledge of the industry they're in. I wish her obnoxious self all the best, please never darken the games industry with your presence again Abby!