• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

HotPocket69

Ubergender - contains all other genders
Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Opie & Anthony did better game talk than GB has for eons it seems.

Davis Gerstmann & co were pushing close to this before 2013. Too fucking bad indeed.

• Love
Reactions: TeezzyD

O-N-E

Jul 11, 2018
If they're gonna get a new chick, can they at least make sure shes a hottie? Please and thank you

Did anyone here read The Madness of Crowds by Douglas Murray? Do you recall that part where he talks about the innate power that women have over almost every man that modern society never acknowledges, i.e. the power to be a flirtatious distraction that can ultimately cause the structure of families or even businesses to be torn apart? Mary Kish strikes me as someone who has perfected this art - being the charming and suggestive fox who enioys the double pleasure of being a typical victim-laden feminist while also making every man she knows gulp when they see her in a room.

I'm not bashing her for it though. It's just one of those funny little tautologies we have to deal with, "treat me like anyone else you bigot, and watch me play games and lay down with my legs exposed in a teasing position." But still, Mary is a thousand times more likeable because she doesn't wear goofy bright coloured glasses and have a dozen childish drawings on her body. I can't stand the trend of modern progressive women who are in arms race to make their body look like the back of every bored high schoolers textbook. But I suppose immodesty is SuBmERsIvE 😐
You give Kish's hotness too much credit. She's attractive, but not "the most attractive lady in every room" level. Just enough to tease people endlessly... Which is annoying the more you're exposed to it.

Cringe city over here:
Imagine spending all those hours pouring your creative energy into completing a piece of art that the subject of which does not give a shit about.

Hopefully he just did it because he thought it would get more eyeballs on his art. That's the only way I could find it even remotely acceptable.

Someone on the GB Reddit said they’re scared of more departures to be announced this Tuesday and now I’m praying that Ben and Jan are next. 🙏
What's special about Tuesday?

Last edited:
Reactions: SpiceRacz

DangerStepp

Sep 14, 2007
I've just had the complete opposite experience and same with a few colleagues

We get told of a merger, they do the "Don't hope for an email," thing that day/week and then axe the fuck outta people
Maybe we've just got into a basket where that happened, but I've legit never seen that sort of "We're canning you in ummm, like 3 months," shit

The only thing I can't really account for is the pandemic and how each company will handle that; shit company I'm working for now fired a dude right as the US closed up shop

Odd question; might you guys be 35+?
Yup. 36.

Lol.

Toaster man

Jul 16, 2020

You give Kish's hotness too much credit. She's attractive, but not "the most attractive lady in every room" level. Just enough to tease people endlessly... Which is annoying the more you're exposed to it.

Imagine spending all those hours pouring your creative energy into completing a piece of art that the subject of which does not give a shit about.

Hopefully he just did it because he thought it would get more eyeballs on his art. That's the only way I could find it even remotely acceptable.

What's special about Tuesday?
Im assuming they are thinking if a decision for layoffs happened after tuesday but but before thursday last week then the announcement for Jan and Ben would be this coming tuesday on the bombcast. I guess its possible.

Dave_at_Home

Jun 19, 2020
Whiskey Media is forever the golden era of GiantBomb. What we have left is a group of guys that are too old and just don't care anymore. The passion is gone and I can only hope they bring someone in that will shake the energy up again. Than again, I just think it's too late. Things will continue to go downhill for the site and their new owners will part ways. Just hope they can all find jobs within the video game industry. They have the connections so it shouldn't be too difficult.

As for now, the fanbase is why I can only post on Gaf. The level of simping and delusions of the ship not sinking is too much to handle. I don't hate Abby as much as many people here do, but it's clear she was not the right pick for the job. I have no idea what she contributed to the production side of things and clearly did not have the love for gaming you'd expect from someone in her position. Granted, maybe she was never meant to be as integral to the front of the camera to begin with so maybe it didn't matter. Unfortunately, she became a big part of the show, and it shows. Why so many GiantBomb forum users are lamenting her leaving is simply the sad state of affairs that whole site has become.

Villanelle

Neo Member
Aug 22, 2020
Long time lurker, first time poster - wanted to add my voice to the choir of people relieved to see Abby gone. I agree that she probably was let go, doesn't seem like she has anything lined up so the story that she quit of her own volition doesn't make sense to me.

I consider myself a feminist (may not align with a lot of the posters here, but I'm here to talk honestly about GB, not gender politics), and the fact that you can't even constructively criticize Abby without being labeled a misogynist is fucking stupid and frankly an insult to her gender if anything. I thought feminism was about treating people equally? Guess not so much anymore.

Curious to see if we'll hear of more people leaving next week.

Last edited:

Cheesewheel

Jun 16, 2013
Whiskey Media is forever the golden era of GiantBomb. What we have left is a group of guys that are too old and just don't care anymore. The passion is gone and I can only hope they bring someone in that will shake the energy up again. Than again, I just think it's too late. Things will continue to go downhill for the site and their new owners will part ways.
Deadly Premonition 2 sums up the older duders attitude, a series they did two endurance runs of back in their heyday. They hand it off to Ben who fucks up the quicklook, then they bin it and give the community a collective *shrug*.

No re-records or anything just.... *shrug*.

The duders hold zero reverence for their older content or the community that enjoyed it.

Jun 26, 2020
Long time lurker, first time poster - wanted to add my voice to the choir of people relieved to see Abby gone. I agree that she probably was let go, doesn't seem like she has anything lined up so the story that she quit of her own volition doesn't make sense to me.

I consider myself a feminist (may not align with a lot of the posters here, but I'm here to talk honestly about GB, not gender politics), and the fact that you can't even constructively criticize Abby without being labeled a misogynist is fucking stupid and frankly an insult to her gender if anything. I thought feminism was about treating people equally? Guess not so much anymore.

You can just comment on why she sucks without fear of retribution here. Literally no one gives a shit and is open to actual banter.

Them accusing people with criticisms of her of misogyny is just a low-effort move to shut down valid criticisms about her. I didn't mind her until the GOTY talks and the subsequent buckling down of the cuntyness that followed suit but anyone that isn't full of shit or just as personable as her can see through it.

balls of snow

Oct 13, 2020
Deadly Premonition 2 sums up the older duders attitude, a series they did two endurance runs of back in their heyday. They hand it off to Ben who fucks up the quicklook, then they bin it and give the community a collective *shrug*.

No re-records or anything just.... *shrug*.

The duders hold zero reverence for their older content or the community that enjoyed it.
The most bizzare thing ever. I thought for sure they were going to do a playthrough. The anti- last of us 2. Its on brand and they just...didnt do it.

Villanelle

Neo Member
Aug 22, 2020
You can just comment on why she sucks without fear of retribution here. Literally no one gives a shit and is open to actual banter.

Them accusing people with criticisms of her of misogyny is just a low-effort move to shut down valid criticisms about her. I didn't mind her until the GOTY talks and the subsequent buckling down of the cuntyness that followed suit but anyone that isn't full of shit or just as personable as her can see through it.
I thought she was fine in the beginning, but my dislike for her continued to grow. Had a good laugh at her calling all cops white supremacists though - does that include the cops that got her stolen bike back? Cause I sure remember her singing a different tune back then.

Jun 26, 2020
I thought she was fine in the beginning, but my dislike for her continued to grow. Had a good laugh at her calling all cops white supremacists though - does that include the cops that got her stolen bike back? Cause I sure remember her singing a different tune back then.
Almost as if one shouldn't generalize an entire group of people based on the actions of specific people? Or is it only acceptable when it's from dipshits trying to achieve social media points? 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

The fact that no one - community or staff - bothered to comment on that white supremacist labeling just tells me that it's coming from some very very very VERY sheltered people. I'd love for these people to spend a day in the most dross neighborhoods in the US and then tell me if they still think the police should be abolished or if they're white supremacists.

Jun 2, 2020

Thats why i dig this thread. No one cares. Its honestly a breath of fresh air.

Harts316

Dec 9, 2012

The great thing about this forum is that it represents lots of different perspectives on everything. If someone's beliefs don't align with mine...so what? I actually prefer to hear about other opinions. Many people think everything in life is a binary choice. The real world is much more complicated and is shaped by people's life experiences.

The "cops are white supremacists" tweet was really telling. For starters, it shows her sheltered ignorance. Police forces employ lots of minorities. Calls to abolish law enforcement is going to put a lot of people of color out of work as well as damage communities. The fact that someone above her let that stand shows they were either petrified of criticizing her or actually agreed.

Hudo

Jul 26, 2018

If she was indeed let go, it's weird that she's to only one affected at GB. I would've thought that either Ben and/or Jason would have been let go as well.

Jun 26, 2020
Gotta love that BLACK LIVES MATTER next to her name. Christ 🙄

Coming from Columbus OH, you know she’s definitely bitched about blacks in her life. Probably dropped a few n bombs as well.
Going to go ahead and assume she's never ventured into the King/Hazelwood/Powellhurst areas of Portland, OR either (aka the non-gentrified areas).

• LOL
Reactions: HotPocket69

HotPocket69

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Yeah, I mean Jan is the last of the new hires I would fire. It would either be Ben or Jason next, as I mentioned.
Jan did vid production work on Mythbusters. Wouldn’t be surprised if he has worked on other shows. His resume is probably the most impressive for his age out of the whole lot. Regardless of his childish, shit taste in games, he’s probably the most qualified to do the job right, next to Vinny.

It’d be hilarious if they kept him and tossed Gentle Ben 😂

Last edited:

whattheduck

Sep 17, 2020
I personally don't mind Jan that much. At least he's a confident speaker most of the time. I imagine he's pretty chill in person, pathetic woke politics aside. He's better than Jason or Ben anyway. Jason seems like a nice dude but he's utterly dull in almost every regard, and Ben... I have a bit of sympathy for him given his physical ailments and the garbage that must bring in life, but there's something about him that's really grating. He consistently seems insincere to me, like he's trying way too hard to be cool or edgy or interesting. He's none of those things.

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014
Jan did vid production work on Mythbusters. Wouldn’t be surprised if he has worked on other shows. His resume is probably the most impressive for his age out of the whole lot. Regardless of his childish, shit taste in games, he’s probably the most qualified to do the job right, next to Vinny.

It’d be hilarious if they kept him and tossed Gentle Ben 😂

I wonder if he got this job through Will Smith via Adam Savage then

Ramagamma

Mar 22, 2017
Honestly I don't like Abbys content on Giant bomb but I flat out hate the tweets she does that you see get linked on here, its so overdone to say "this reads like a 12 year old" but if theres some joke to them I don't think I'll ever get it

Here

Feb 22, 2020
The Giantbomb forum thread about Abby leaving is getting cleaned of any dissent by mods and it really shows that her sycophants think she should be entirely immune to criticism. I understand it's a farewell thread and people might expect more "love" than nastiness, but it just feels like they're censoring the voices of the community. Fact is, she sucks at pretty much everything in her current position. It's fine, although idiotic, that some folks might be deluded enough to think she's the greatest, but maybe don't instaban those who can open their eyes and nose, and see and smell the bullshit that's right in front of them.
In Abby's world, mild or constructive criticism is misogyny.
Good riddance.

Honestly I don't like Abbys content on Giant bomb but I flat out hate the tweets she does that you see get linked on here, its so overdone to say "this reads like a 12 year old" but if theres some joke to them I don't think I'll ever get it
POOP! QUEEF! BUTT! CUPHEAD SHOULD BE HIGHER! BUTT BUTT BUTT!

• LOL
Reactions: brap

Rei no Otaku

Jul 4, 2008
Cranston, RI
Oh, fan art is the best.

Thanks (?) to Brap and Revolutionary for posting these last year in the Bomb Shelter thread. 'Scuse me while I go laugh and purge simultaneously
Those fucking glasses. Have to be the ugliest glasses I've ever seen. There's a reason people who wear glasses most of the time don't get bright colors. They have to go with everything.

Toaster man

Jul 16, 2020

I don't know what you mean
If there is actually any jokes in those tweets it is at the expense of giant bomb. Equating her soon to be former employer with shit is a weird choice if she actually valued her time there.

Are we going to see Abby become even more hostile and dismissive of GB fans now that she is leaving? Can’t wait to see how awkward the farewell stream is.

HotPocket69

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Wow dumping on the company already eh?

What a fucking cunt. Hope she struggles hard to find whatever comes next in her ugly, ignorant and unfunny life.

Edit: This seems a bit Reee’ish and mean. Sorry not sorry 🦄🤷🏻‍♂️☑😎😁

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020
Purple hair, pancake ass, Black Lives Matter and a gut. I can see why she's your queen.
If there is actually any jokes in those tweets it is at the expense of giant bomb. Equating her soon to be former employer with shit is a weird choice if she actually valued her time there.

Are we going to see Abby become even more hostile and dismissive of GB fans now that she is leaving? Can’t wait to see how awkward the farewell stream is.
You guys are clearly too misogynistic to see and appreciate a fresh perspective on comedy/comedic writing.

HotPocket69

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Man, Dicky Packer loves to get his ribs on with the community.

Too bad he’s simply no good at it 🤷🏻‍♂️