• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Remember that excruciating time period when she was doing characters on the podcast? I really believe she had a fantasy of hitting it big after landing a job at a company owned by CBS.

She is what drove me away, but I couldn’t imagine going back to that place and giving them money. It’s forever tainted. What bothers me is that those guys willingly traded in their audience of loyal fans for the pathetic losers inhabiting the sub reddit.
Ugh. Classics like screeching pirate or screeching Londoner. She makes Michael Scott look normal.

Yep, GB officially died in 2017. Now it's just a zombie waiting for a Red Venture axe to the head.

O-N-E

Jul 11, 2018
Remember that excruciating time period when she was doing characters on the podcast? I really believe she had a fantasy of hitting it big after landing a job at a company owned by CBS.

She is what drove me away, but I couldn’t imagine going back to that place and giving them money. It’s forever tainted. What bothers me is that those guys willingly traded in their audience of loyal fans for the pathetic losers inhabiting the sub reddit.
I can't remember any of her awful attempts at characters, but Dan's "Jeremiah" was great.

Last edited:

chris121580

Aug 6, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
I swear they all started going down after Ryan died.
I feel like Jeff has never been the same since Ryan died and it's really sad to see. I think his love for gaming kind of died when Ryan passed. That's something they shared together for a long time and it'd be hard to ever fully recover from something like that

I'm glad Abby is gone. It'd be great for them to get a couple new people in there with fun personalities, a good sense of humor, and are actually knowledgeable and interested in video games. The site really needs a jumpstart. I've been a fan for a long time but can admit that things have sadly gone severely downhill the past couple years. Most of the guys just seem burnt out more than anything else and some fresh blood could help out a lot.

Dan's twitch has been fun to watch but he's kind of taken it over the edge in the way only Dan knows how. He has people donating money and he'll put stickys on his face of their user name or put their user name on a budlight seltzer. Just some weird stuff. I enjoyed his streams a lot more when they were more just about him enjoying playing games.

Last edited:

Toaster man

Jul 16, 2020
Everything starts to feel like an act or character with Dan. Honestly I’d really be curious what he’d be like when he is not “on.”

Honestly this is going to sound weird but I kinda miss Patrick.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TeezzyD

TeezzyD

Fantastik Tuna
Mar 18, 2020
lol, that's way more insight into the Cinemassacre dudes than I ever thought I'd see. makes perfect sense for James to have hypercritical fans like that, but for some reason I never really gave it much thought. cool sub

That Kieran dude, I never knew his name before, but he's the prime example of just how lame someone trying to pull off the whole metalhead look at way too late of a stage in his life can be. it's painful to look at. i wonder how old he is. cool gimmick bro.

• LOL
Reactions: Fushitsusha

brap

Jan 9, 2018
lol, that's way more insight into the Cinemassacre dudes than I ever thought I'd see. makes perfect sense for James to have hypercritical fans like that, but for some reason I never really gave it much thought. cool sub

That Kieran dude, I never knew his name before, but he's the prime example of just how lame someone trying to pull off the whole metalhead look at way too late of a stage in his life can be. it's painful to look at. i wonder how old he is. cool gimmick bro.
mhm aw haw yeah yeah mhm yeah yeah yeah
We should probably start a cinemassacre thread on here lmao.

Last edited:

rofif

Sep 13, 2019
Man... We still need ben and Jason gone.
I wanted Vinny go e since he started shivering thinking about abby going to hr years ago... But maybe he will come back to life now but probably not. Alex can also go...

Not sure what could save the site. I unsubbed after they banned me over a year ago and did not looked back... and I was subbed since always. Well... We still have Brad and Jeff. Although they are dead inside :p
I kinda wish they would close the site....

Last edited:
Reactions: Crumslor

TeezzyD

Fantastik Tuna
Mar 18, 2020
Weighing twice as much as a healthy human being and yet still happy to wear a t-shirt saying "too many games"........

That dude has reached the weight where he feels the need to lean into his obesity as a joke rather than course correct. Shame too, since I'm sure he could do some good with a regular walk and some diet changes.

• LOL

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014

That dude has reached the weight where he feels the need to lean into his obesity as a joke rather than course correct. Shame too, since I'm sure he could do some good with a regular walk and some diet changes.

Is that guy on the left wearing a Metokur shirt?

• Thoughtful

SamFo

May 13, 2015
I canceled my sub last year so I can't relive one of my favorite GB moments. On a Jackbox stream, they were playing the game where you get points by writing the funniest punchline. Vinny, Austin, and Danika were putting up numbers, and Abby was in dead last. Austin looked her in the eyes and flatly said "I thought you said you were a comedian." She quipped back at him but was mopey for the entire rest of the stream. Brilliant. I didn't watch it until after her GOTY debacle so it was nice to see someone actually take her down a peg.
Can anyone find this?

Small Change

Jul 17, 2020
That bit was excruciating and Vinny just kept going with it. Also funny that Dan was able to improv a much funnier character than Abby "improv comedian" Russell but I'm sure her next level comedic stylings were just too complex for us plebs. That's not even an Australian accent, it's way closer to an English one.

Last edited:

Mushoomba

Aug 15, 2020
I stopped listening to the Beastcast soon after this. This was around the time Vinny discovered Abby had done improv so he was constantly trying to force improv skits on the Beastcast. The problem is all of Abby's solutions for improv are just doing a shitting accent or screaming and breaking character every 10 seconds.

Meanwhile, in the exact same episode, you have Dan who is put in a very similar situation of coming up with a character on the spot, and he quickly creates a funny character with a different vocabulary that makes fun of Dan's faults and personality, showing how self-aware Dan actually is and how he has a much better sense of comedy than a self-proclaimed "improv comedienne".

Or that time Dan came up with some wacky magician character for his basic magic bits during an Extra Life stream and everyone went along with the comedy bit. It was the most entertaining part of the entire stream and the part when they were clearly having the most fun, which is curious because it was the only part where Abby wasn't there.

Last edited:

Villanelle

Neo Member
Aug 22, 2020
I wanted Vinny go e since he started shivering thinking about abby going to hr years ago... But maybe he will come back to life now but probably not. Alex can also go...
I could never stand Alex personally. He can be funny once in a blue moon, but he's a joyless buzzkill that just isn't fun to watch or listen to. Also his voice is so damn grating it hurts my soul, his voice is almost the very worst part of me. Don't know if that's just me.

Eternal21

Nov 14, 2013
I could never stand Alex personally. He can be funny once in a blue moon, but he's a joyless buzzkill that just isn't fun to watch or listen to. Also his voice is so damn grating it hurts my soul, his voice is almost the very worst part of me. Don't know if that's just me.
Agreed. The dude is always so negative.

Reactions: brap

TeezzyD

Fantastik Tuna
Mar 18, 2020
It's important to keep Jason and Ben around so Jeff doesn't have some lame excuse to arbitrarily stop making those Ranking of Fighters videos

Literally the one series left on Giant Bomb that I am an avid fan of. Ben and Jason are fine with me.

HotPocket69

Ubergender - contains all other genders
Oct 10, 2018
Fl
I miss when they would play old games 😔 (I don’t mean Jeff streams with all the wacky sounds, distracting corny visuals and crappy Amiga games)

This was great. I fucking LOVE the PC Engine

Last edited:

Small Change

Jul 17, 2020
Something I started noticing as the fanbase changed was that a lot of the newer (and probably younger) people coming in hated the old game segments. I've noticed it with certain streamers too. When Vinny from Vinesauce plays something older than last gen his chat has a fair amount of people asking why he's bothering with old games. I loved those segments personally since it was when Jeff would come to life (he's genuinely entertaining when he isn't in his crochety mode) and they'd find all kinds of weird shit or stuff with bad translations.

Last edited:

waylo

Jan 7, 2018

Not sure what could save the site. I unsubbed after they banned me over a year ago and did not looked back... and I was subbed since always. Well... We still have Brad and Jeff. Although they are dead inside :p
I kinda wish they would close the site....
I'd prefer Brad gone before Ben or Jason. Yeah, I said it.

Brad blows. He clearly doesn't give a shit about anything anymore. And, with him gone, we wouldn't be exposed to the obligatory hour long argument about why Destiny 2 should somehow be GOTY.

It came out 12 years ago Brad, it's not eligible.

Yeah, but the shooting is just soooo smooth!

Last edited:
Reactions: Crumslor and Here

drganon

Sep 20, 2019

Brad blows. He clearly doesn't give a shit about anything anymore. And, with him gone, we wouldn't be exposed to the obligatory hour long argument about why Destiny 2 should somehow be GOTY.

Yeah, never been a huge fan of Brad either. He was okay when he wasn't hosting the podcast. You need someone with energy and enthusiasm like Ryan for that.

Jun 26, 2008
1. This Jan and Jason quick look is alright. I'm fine with this.

2. Abby's deep voice is much better than her real one. She should have kept that energy going.

Jun 26, 2020
Excited for tonights bombcast recording. Hoping some people ''decide to leave of their own free will.''
I'd be surprised if they let anyone else go

I like Brad but I wish he'd grow a pair and stop uptalking every comment. Dude you're 40+.

waylo

Jan 7, 2018
Jeff, Jan, Ben (maybe), and Jason (maybe), along with two or three new bloods (who actually know video games please and aren't a wannabe Kathy Griffin) would be ideal. Basically just get rid of East as it's a skeleton crew of people who don't really feel like they even want to be there anyway, and dump Brad.

CharlieTuna

Nov 21, 2019
Well, a new studio can't be worse than what they have now. And wasn't this supposed to happen anyway since they aren't with CBS anymore?

Villanelle

Neo Member
Aug 22, 2020
Basically just get rid of East as it's a skeleton crew of people who don't really feel like they even want to be there anyway, and dump Brad.
Always been fond of Vinny (though I certainly miss the old edgier Vinny from back in the day, he's gone super soft), but I have to agree. He needs someone good to play off of, like when Dan joined East - a lot of fun content came from that. An office made up of just Vinny and Alex just sounds depressing, lifeless, and I can't imagine anything I'd want to go near.

Reactions: Crumslor

HoleinOne

Neo Member
Nov 22, 2018
At Giant Bomb he's salaried. His podcast money relies on his performance.
That's definitely part of it, but I also wonder if Will Smith doesn't have something to do with it. I noticed that whenever they have him on the Bombcast as a guest, everything seems a lot livelier.

Reactions: Harts316