• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I used to listen to Gamers With Jobs back in like 2013. I picked it up again and just couldn’t get into it as much, they do talk about woke culture just too much. Easy Allies is ok, but a lot of it seems just too gimmicky, and the HG101 podcast audio quality is just atrocious. Honestly I just mainly listen to the Bombcast and Beastcast, but talking about video games seems to be very low on what they actually want to talk about.

So many podcasts and sites are just doing too much, which is why I can’t stand Kinda Funny, Greg seems hellbent on doing everything other than video games with being so wrestling focused now (hmm wonder where that came from) or dressing up like a 12 year old for any franchise just to get them to retweet something, or having a prom (?!). Remember the days when a video game podcast was done because of the love of video games. Now it seems like it’s just a way to rake in money so you don’t have to actually have a real job. It makes me sick.

Reactions: Kadayi

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Have you tried 8-4 Play? Hardly any SJWisms I can remember, except for mentioning they have a Resetera thread at the end of every podcast for some fucked up, stupid reason.

I’ve been listening to it for years. I really like it. They say they’re “Japan focused” because they are based in Japan, but they talk about western games as much or more as anyone.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I tried listening to 8-4 play, and really liked them when they are on the Bombcast, but I loose all interest anytime they start going into the JRPG topics. And the few episodes years ago that I listened to was just a lot of that. I might give them a try again.

Ogrebushi

Neo Member
Jun 3, 2019
I've been trying to find more gaming podcasts myself (why i still sit through gb's) since i have 10 hours @work that podcasts help break the monotony up.
I'll second castle superbeast (hell had just found the superbestfriends podcast -right- before it imploded into the more superior superbeast)
I need to try more level-clear (pat guested on it the other day and that was amusing), 8-4 play doesnt get political but you do get the sneering comments on occation. Crate and crowbar isnt bad but same occaional sneering politics, not sure if its going to change much since tom francis just moved to vancouver and one of the old hosts is back. Would have said video game hotdog but they moved to SF and had slowly been edging woke .. then jick got called a horrible monster by a female ex ... so thats been poofed for a few months now it seems

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Scopa

small_law

Neo Member
Nov 30, 2017
I'm still a fan of Jeff. He's the only critic who's opinions I value. He's got his hang-ups, but every time I think he's missed the mark, I'll come around to his way of seeing things. He earned his credibility a long time ago.

I miss the shit out of Ryan. I went back and listened to some of the Bombcast stuff from 9 or 10 years ago. It was so much more raw and unrestrained back then. So much of that energy came from Ryan. It's unbelievable how tame it's become.

small_law

Neo Member
Nov 30, 2017
You guys are only just starting to hate Giant Bomb? Stopped listening to that shit after that 2017 GOTY, but it’d been declining for years.
The 2018 GOTY was an even more painful affair. They changed the format to be more focused around games instead of categories. As a consequence, the actual ranking discussions lacked the context of what they had said already. Jeff had a kid on the way at the time too. It's obvious that he wasn't very focused.

TexMex

Aug 30, 2019
I'm still a fan of Jeff. He's the only critic who's opinions I value. He's got his hang-ups, but every time I think he's missed the mark, I'll come around to his way of seeing things. He earned his credibility a long time ago.

I miss the shit out of Ryan. I went back and listened to some of the Bombcast stuff from 9 or 10 years ago. It was so much more raw and unrestrained back then. So much of that energy came from Ryan. It's unbelievable how tame it's become.
Jeff’s transparent, growing contempt for the audience is so grating.

He has a lot of knowledge, but for me those hang ups are starting to out weigh it. The real tipping point for me was the debate over Inside during GOTY where he threw the most childish tantrum by anyone on any of these podcasts. It was total cringe and hard to listen to. I was embarrassed.

There are worse on that site, but Jeff is a total douchebag.

Reactions: Scopa and Greedings

Greedings

May 23, 2016
Jeff’s transparent, growing contempt for the audience is so grating.

He has a lot of knowledge, but for me those hang ups are starting to out weigh it. The real tipping point for me was the debate over Inside during GOTY where he threw the most childish tantrum by anyone on any of these podcasts. It was total cringe and hard to listen to. I was embarrassed.

There are worse on that site, but Jeff is a total douchebag.
I think he was a major reason I started getting fed up. He's everywhere, a dominant voice, and he just seems to hate games, and loathe the audience.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I personally was on Jeff's side of the Inside debate. That game was incredible for the first 5 minutes, then just turned into Limbo 2 with water puzzles. How that game was even mentioned for best graphics was beyond me and how it won was even more baffling.

Jeff's contempt for the audience at large is also totally understandable, look at who they are catering to now... twitch children where their main content is dressing up in crappy dollar store costumes and barely playing games and focusing on gimmicks about gambling and betting and having to have discussion about being woke on every piece of content. Look at them vs any other twitch streamer, and the main difference is that Twitch streamers play MORE games than GB. Also, hiring complete morons who know little to zero about games or their own jobs they were hired for and tons of diversity hires so the audience won't cry and complain about how skin color doesn't matter, as long as their skin color isn't white. or they are a male. Of course he hate the audience, I do too!

The GOTY stuff was better than 2017, but should have been 2 days of recapping and not 3. Making it a priority of playing/finishing any game that even might be in the running for GOTY should be top. but sadly isn't. You could see Jeff totally checked out last year, but again, he was in the midst of dealing with some pretty heavy life stuff (they discussed it a bit on the aftermath show when he got back from paternity leave) so I get it, hopefully he will be back to normal somewhat this year.