• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philfrag

Jul 3, 2020
Can you repost evidence? Did he apologize?

You can find it in google images. He did a half-assed apology where he seemed more annoyed about people bringing it up. He tried to divert attention from his past actions by somehow linking it to a broader problem with young white males and the alt right. It was pretty cringe actually. He said he was joking....sure thats fine. I dont really care either way, its just funny because in recent years hes become one of the biggest virtue signalers from the GB peeps. I suppose with a twitter history like his you have to be.

So yeah....pretty crazy that Danny (Nword) O Dwyer wants to put all black people and Muslims in a blender and drink them through a straw. Real dark stuff. I hope he finds help.

Harts316

Dec 9, 2012
You can find it in google images. He did a half-assed apology where he seemed more annoyed about people bringing it up. He tried to divert attention from his past actions by somehow linking it to a broader problem with young white males and the alt right. It was pretty cringe actually. He said he was joking....sure thats fine. I dont really care either way, its just funny because in recent years hes become one of the biggest virtue signalers from the GB peeps. I suppose with a twitter history like his you have to be.

So yeah....pretty crazy that Danny (Nword) O Dwyer wants to put all black people and Muslims in a blender and drink them through a straw. Real dark stuff. I hope he finds help.

How disgusting. Only a truly a reprehensible person with deep hatred in their hearts would say something like that.

whattheduck

Sep 17, 2020
Why do you think these people overcompensate so much? It's because they're made to feel riddled with guilt by their own politics. But in sane world, most people can move on from their childish actions in the past without needing to dive off the deep end.

Ryuji Goda

Dec 3, 2018
I'm listening to an old Bombcast from march and it's pretty weird hearing them talk about how wearing masks is dumb and this virus is whatever "I'm pretty excited about it, because I can stream from home".

Obviously, this was before wearing a mask was a form of virtue signalling.

Last edited:

Harts316

Dec 9, 2012
I'm listening to an old Bombcast from march and it's pretty weird hearing them talk about how wearing masks is dumb and this virus is whatever "I'm pretty excited about it, because I can stream from home".

What an interesting turn of events. The Giant Bomb staff are anti-maskers. :messenger_face_screaming:

Toaster man

Jul 16, 2020

Hmm I don’t remember saying this, I’d love to go back and listen but yeah you can chart their response and the media narrative. The idea of wearing mask being associated with virtue started some time in April and in March everyone was acting like it was going to be a fun two week vacation.

It’s pretty scary how the media narrative totally shapes people’s response to the world.

Reactions: pochepiller2

Philfrag

Jul 3, 2020
Ok, so will ERA let Colin Moriarty back then? Or is he still cancelled?

If Danny didn't make marketing material disguised as documentaries for the most popular studios in the industry i'm sure him and Colin would have a podcast together by now.

Reactions: Harts316

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014
If Danny didn't make marketing material disguised as documentaries for the most popular studios in the industry i'm sure him and Colin would have a podcast together by now.

Isn't CLS, Colins podcast etc the biggest gaming Patreon? Surely NoClip would love to cover that success? /s

Ramagamma

Banned
Mar 22, 2017
Danny was hilarious in some of the sports Giant Bomb quicklooks, the Rugby and Cricket ones in particular were hilarious, there was something about his noclip documentaries that came across as very insincere to me though

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014
Danny was hilarious in some of the sports Giant Bomb quicklooks, the Rugby and Cricket ones in particular were hilarious, there was something about his noclip documentaries that came across as very insincere to me though

He got woke when he left Gamespot

Reactions: Mushoomba
Jun 26, 2020
Another Abby simp thread in the FB group

Alex Convertito
We lose another good one with what I think are pretty big shoes to fill.

Michael Meyer
So when she originally announced she was done at the end of November, it came off as if she had another job lined up. Is it just me or does this sound like they eliminated her position?
· Reply · 1h
Richard Orszt
That's what I thought with Giant Bomb being squires it sounded like they let her go.
· Reply · 43m
Sean Mullins
Michael Meyer she's said when they were bought out she decided not to come along, she wasn't fired or let go. There could have been a severance bonus for volunteering to leave, but as far as I know she made the decision.

I keep hoping these retards will put 2 + 2 together and see the problem with someone leaving in the middle of the current state of the U.S. whilst living in one of the worst hit states with nothing fucking lined up and her having to beg on social media for work.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
I actually agree with this one.

Being the most unpopular staff member to date while having zero respect for the industry and effectively ruining Giant Bomb's Game of the year deliberations is no small feat.

• LOL
Reactions: EHuntingon

Small Change

Jul 17, 2020
Their latest premium feature seems to be Ben and Jan learning to play Mahjong which I guess is original at least. If they get the rules down there are so many difference mahjong minigames that you could springboard into seeing which of them is the best. On the other hand I don't have premium and with it being a Ben-led feature there's every chance the whole thing is dripping in irony and they'll drop it if it's too complicated.

Harts316

Dec 9, 2012
Their latest premium feature seems to be Ben and Jan learning to play Mahjong which I guess is original at least. If they get the rules down there are so many difference mahjong minigames that you could springboard into seeing which of them is the best. On the other hand I don't have premium and with it being a Ben-led feature there's every chance the whole thing is dripping in irony and they'll drop it if it's too complicated.

Doubt it will last. Ben isn’t really able to commit to anything long term.

Reactions: SamFo

Small Change

Jul 17, 2020
Doubt it will last. Ben isn’t really able to commit to anything long term.

Yeah that would be my guess. HIs Kingdom Heart's idea with the rotating cast and hinging on it being all irony all the time was just fundamentally bad while ending his Fallout feature because Chris Avellone was once in a lift with a woman was just pathetic. I don't know a thing about Mahjong but I doubt it's something that they'll be able to pick up in a stream or two so I'm guessing it'll peter out over Christmas if it lasts that long.

Jun 26, 2020
Yeah that would be my guess. HIs Kingdom Heart's idea with the rotating cast and hinging on it being all irony all the time was just fundamentally bad while ending his Fallout feature because Chris Avellone was once in a lift with a woman was just pathetic. I don't know a thing about Mahjong but I doubt it's something that they'll be able to pick up in a stream or two so I'm guessing it'll peter out over Christmas if it lasts that long.
You can learn Mahjong in a night.

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014

Why though?

Small Change

Jul 17, 2020
You can learn Mahjong in a night.

Yeah? I just see how many tiles there are and assumed it would be complicated. I guess it wouldn't be so popular and pop-up as a mini game so often if it was some really complicated thing.

The thumbnail image for the first video is also just a screengrab of a Google search so I'm not sure if there's even any actual Mahjong in the video. It's weird but not surprising that GB never did anything with that Clubhouse Games thing on Switch. People really liked it and I had a fun time watching Vinny Vinesauce repeatedly get bodied by the AI at Connect 4.

Last edited:

Harts316

Dec 9, 2012
I have this odd feeling she will be on the next Beastcast....

She has nothing lined up and is panhandling on twitch. They will do her a favor (i.e. feel sorry for her) and have her appear regularly in order for her to leech off of the fanbase and industry she has obvious disdain for. It will cut into the "quitting" narrative because she will now be doing part of her old job for free.

Toaster man

Jul 16, 2020
She has nothing lined up and is panhandling on twitch. They will do her a favor (i.e. feel sorry for her) and have her appear regularly in order for her to leech off of the fanbase and industry she has obvious disdain for. It will cut into the "quitting" narrative because she will now be doing part of her old job for free.

Nah it makes total sense Abby was tired of streaming games so she quit her job during a pandemic to... stream games.... but on twitch for less money. Checks out.

Cheesewheel

Jun 16, 2013

When he binned his partial Fallout playthrough he promised the community that he would return with another rpg.

His playthrough of Dragon age origins lasted 1 episode.

Reactions: Guileless

Trumpets

Dec 5, 2008
England
I bet the creator of mahjong is problematic.

Confucius is one of the main contenders for that apparently, and here's a quote from him:

"Women and slaves are hard to get along with, they get out of hand when befriended and they resent it when kept at a distance."

Jun 26, 2020
Yeah? I just see how many tiles there are and assumed it would be complicated. I guess it wouldn't be so popular and pop-up as a mini game so often if it was some really complicated.

The thumbnail image for the first video is also just a screengrab of a Google search so I'm not sure if there's even any actual Mahjong in the video. It's weird but not surprising that GB never did anything with that Clubhouse Games thing on Switch. People really liked it and I had a fun time watching Vinny Vinesauce repeatedly get bodied by the AI at Connect 4.
There's different variations to it but typically a 4 man game. It's like cards or poker but with more tiles and more outcomes/options.

Ding dong the cunt is gone

Philfrag

Jul 3, 2020
The original (living) GB team is still way worse than Abby. Abby didnt ruin Giant Bomb. Giant Bomb ruined Giant Bomb, and by Giant Bomb i obviously mean Jeff and adult obesity.

Reactions: Rebo and Eternal21

ZippyTheOtter

Aug 29, 2020
Ben lead? Was hoping it could be an excuse to make Jan play FFXIV again. It has one of the best multiplayer mahjong I've played.

Last edited:

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014
When he binned his partial Fallout playthrough he promised the community that he would return with another rpg.

His playthrough of Dragon age origins lasted 1 episode.

That's a point, has he finished a series yet?

Turnstyle

May 18, 2009
I'm not sure that watching two people learn Mahjong would make for an interesting stream personally. Especially as premium content, and even more so as an ongoing series. As someone who is no longer a premium subscriber it doesn't make me reach for my credit card to sign up again.

I noticed that GB had a Black Friday event, with sales on subscriptions, and had made some premium features free on YouTube to promote it. One of them was a recent Breaking Brad where he tries to complete Mario 2 Japan. I've always been a fan of the Breaking Brad feature, but it's a slightly different beast when it's all done remotely (which is no fault of the GB staff). As a viewer you're basically watching 3 guys watch another guy streaming a video game.

It got me thinking that this wasn't the best material to advertise a premium subscription with, but then I really couldn't think of anything that the team has produced this year that would fit the bill. What was the last killer GB premium feature?

Last edited:

Inviusx

Jan 4, 2016
I'm not sure that watching two people learn Mahjong would make for an interesting stream personally. Especially as premium content, and even more so as an ongoing series. As someone who is no longer a premium subscriber it doesn't make me reach for my credit card to sign up again.

I noticed that GB had a Black Friday event, with sales on subscriptions, and had made some premium features free on YouTube to promote it. One of them was a recent Breaking Brad where he tries to complete Mario 2 Japan. I've always been a fan of the Breaking Brad feature, but it's a slightly different beast when it's all done remotely (which is no fault of the GB staff). As a viewer you're basically watching 3 guys watch another guy streaming a video game.

It got me thinking that this wasn't the best material to advertise a premium subscription with, but then I really couldn't think of anything that the team has produced this year that would fit the bill. What was the last killer GB premium feature?

Ben thinks he's enough of a personality that people will watch him play anything. Sad tbh.

Small Change

Jul 17, 2020
Ben thinks he's enough of a personality that people will watch him play anything. Sad tbh.

Yeah, it's clear the guy has a passion for and knowledge about games but he's just not suited to being a "personality". I think he would have done well as part of the writing staff of an enthusiast press website or magazine back when there were tons of those. but some (most) people aren't suited to be an on-camera or on-mic "personality".

Reactions: Mushoomba

BigBooper

Feb 28, 2018
Yeah, it's clear the guy has a passion for and knowledge about games but he's just not suited to being a "personality". I think he would have done well as part of the writing staff of an enthusiast press website or magazine back when there were tons of those. but some (most) people aren't suited to be an on-camera or on-mic "personality".
He's got the personality of a guy you might encounter working on the afternoon shift of a small retail store like Dollar General. You leave the store thinking he was nice enough, but kinda weird. Then you forget about him forever.

Jun 26, 2020
He's got the personality of a guy you might encounter working on the afternoon shift of a small retail store like Dollar General. You leave the store thinking he was nice enough, but kinda weird. Then you forget about him forever.
He'd be working the register at a GameStop and hanging out with people 10-15 years his younger.

Jul 13, 2020

That's a good question. I don't have the answer, I haven't had premium for a while now. I did, however, enjoy the Jackbox 7 video this year. Abby and Alex were grating, nothing new there, but it was still a fun watch. So they still have the ability to run a fun stream despite WFH, and instead, choose to show us trucks and drums.

Small Change

Jul 17, 2020
That's a good question. I don't have the answer, I haven't had premium for a while now. I did, however, enjoy the Jackbox 7 video this year. Abby and Alex were grating, nothing new there, but it was still a fun watch. So they still have the ability to run a fun stream despite WFH, and instead, choose to show us trucks and drums.

Yeah, you can make almost anything fun if the people involved are interesting or funny to watch. I've brought them up before but Vinesauce Vinny and Joel played potentially the worst matches of Connect 4 in human history but it was funny to watch because they are entertaining guys. If you got two engaging people learning Mahjong there's every chance it could be fun and even educational if you pick up something about the game. Jan and Ben ain't entertaining guys so I do wonder just how bland this feature is.

Reactions: DangerStepp
Status
Not open for further replies.