• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

The Elite

BOSS
Apr 8, 2006
Toronto
You'd know better than I would. I just guessed since resetera is always complaining about something. As for the last podcast, I only listen to episodes that dont have Ben on, so I dont know what was said.
It was in reference to Tell Me Why and a certain site that complains about everything asking about trans writers on staff.

I'm surprised they mentioned them at all. They tend to steer clear of trying to get controversial

weallstink

Jan 25, 2010
Ireland
Abby was pretty annoying on the beastcast last week. Mike trying to talk about what he likes about red dead online, and Abby just non stop, literally non stop between every one of his sentences saying "I don't want to pay for it"

I get it, I got it the first time, you're not going to pay for it, you're too poor to pay the $2, now shut up and let someone talk about the game

Reactions: BibleBLACKED

CharlieTuna

Neo Member
Nov 21, 2019
Hey people, i'm new here but i'm very glad to have found a place where i can say what i think about GB nowadays without being banned/offended by some GB zealots that can't stand the thought of someone not enjoying everything that they do at all times.

I dropped my sub at the start of the year because i wasn't really enjoying the content anymore, but also because this isn't the same website as before. Today i much rather listen to a '08 Bombcast than last week's, back in the day there was a lot of excitement, and everyone was playing the games, the discussions were great. Last year Brad couldn't even finish Spider-Man or God of War for GOTY (which btw was EXTREMELY frustrating for me because A) those were two of the biggest games of that year, it is your job to cover these games, how you couldn't get it done?; and B) I finished those two games, while having a full time job, very limited disposable income, and living in Brazil where gaming is MUCH harder, what is his excuse?). You really just have to see that there aren't a lot new Bombcast clips on YT anymore. Don't even get me started on Ben (Abby is whatever, but she can be very self-centered).

Anyway, hi all!

VedderLovesBenPack

Neo Member
Nov 21, 2019
Oh cool, a Shenmue 3 QL. I'd love to hear what Vinny, Alex, and Dan think about it since they did that Shenmue ER. Wait, there's no Vinny and Abby won't shut up. *sigh*
Yeah, that was unfortunate.

Alex really needed to chill out during the Shenmue 3 QL, too. He has some serious personality issues. Also, it seems like he gets overexcited and extra annoying when Abby is around.

rofif

Sep 13, 2019
Fuck that shenmue 3 quick look. There was a time I could not wait for shenmue 2 endurance run... now with abby and how south the site went, I don't want them to do it.
And they would also probably make Abby play it and release 1 hour episode every week instead of few per week like when shenmue 1 er.
And their Alyx reactions are terrible. Jeff knows a lot about vr so I have no idea why he couldn't say anything more... maybe he is burned out of vr like I am.
Ben was there only to disgust viewers. No valuable input or jokes from him

rofif

Sep 13, 2019
I wish I could just give up Giant Bomb because it has become such a shit show in recent years, but it's been such a integral part of my life for over a decade now that I just don't know what to fill it with. Some people watch netflix, or subscribe to cable services and watch that shit for hours on end. I typically just put on something from Giant Bomb and that would be my idle content, or whatever when I didn't feel like playing a game myself. Now it's just...I'm going back and watching older stuff, but it still sucks that anything new is just garbage. I wish I could find more personalities online that I enjoy, but I do feel like my age demographic is not exactly what thrives on youtube these days.

Just came across this clip in my suggestions recently, and wanted to share another funny moment from not too distant past. I'm honestly surprised Dan didn't become a big Yakuza fan after Beast in the East...I started playing the series myself after they started the feature, and have played through all the mainline games, and while I like some more than others, Yakuza is amazing. It felt very Metal Gear to me in it's appeal where it had that deep serious dramatic story, but also that lighthearted goofiness around the edges. Some entries are better than others, I think Yakuza is probably one of the best ongoing series in gaming right now. I still gotta get around to playing Judgment, been installed on my PS4 for months.
I feel You. I started playing way more local coop games since they banned me and I've stopped watching. Finished ALL EDF GAMES from 360 to pc/ps4 locally with a buddy... also lost planet 2, all gears and so on. Now we are waiting for Halo on pc.
In the mean time, I am watching Lobosjr twitch since I really enjoy souls games. Death Stranding also amazingly filled 53 hours of my life ! :p Overall - I find that I play more and do more now that I am not watching them all the time. I thought I would never turn around

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I'm so bummed out that they just Quick looked Shenmue 3 without doing anything with Shenmue 2. What perceivable reason do they have for not doing a ER for 2? Seriously, was Nancy Drew that much more important? Did they not have enough time in the day just creating terrible html wheel spins and playing one of the worst 64 games ever created? And why the ever loving crap is Vinny not part of it? WHY? Giant Bomb craps all over WWE for never listening to their fans and makes fun of gaming companies for simple lay ups that get botched when it comes to games and what should be easy marketing or things of that nature... yet they do the absolute exact same thing. Hypocrites.

eot

Apr 13, 2012
So they're really taking a 6+ month break from Mass Alex? I guess playing a top 10 game of last gen two hours a week was just too much.

Also, went to the site for the first time in ages, saw there was a Sekiro video (with Ben of course), clicked it just to see and there's like 20 minutes of fucking nothing at the start, because they streamed it. My question then is what the hell is your video team there for, if you can't even cut out the fluff? Did they sell their video editing software?

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
I'm so bummed out that they just Quick looked Shenmue 3 without doing anything with Shenmue 2. What perceivable reason do they have for not doing a ER for 2? Seriously, was Nancy Drew that much more important? Did they not have enough time in the day just creating terrible html wheel spins and playing one of the worst 64 games ever created? And why the ever loving crap is Vinny not part of it? WHY? Giant Bomb craps all over WWE for never listening to their fans and makes fun of gaming companies for simple lay ups that get botched when it comes to games and what should be easy marketing or things of that nature... yet they do the absolute exact same thing. Hypocrites.
Man, I remember how excited I was when the dual Deadly Premonition Endurance Runs came out, but now any Endurance Run has a chance to have Ben or Abby in it and would just be excruciating. I would love to see them continue Shenmue, but imagine Abby being on every episode. Yikes.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Man, I remember how excited I was when the dual Deadly Premonition Endurance Runs came out, but now any Endurance Run has a chance to have Ben or Abby in it and would just be excruciating. I would love to see them continue Shenmue, but imagine Abby being on every episode. Yikes.
Just started the Shenmue 3 quick look and already it’s just her asking “what’s this? “What’s that?” For everything. Maybe do a bit of research or maybe don’t just come into a third game in a series that has its roots grounded is a series that started 20 years ago. I don’t understand how anyone can defend her being hired.

GoingToCancelGB

Neo Member
Nov 19, 2019
Recall when, on the Shenmue Endurance Run, Vinny and the Kermit busted out an acoustic set (Part 16)? That wasn't even that long ago, and yet we are now faced with shrieking waste of time material. How the mighty have fallen.

Also, thank you all for the warm welcome here.

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
Recall when, on the Shenmue Endurance Run, Vinny and the Kermit busted out an acoustic set (Part 16)? That wasn't even that long ago, and yet we are now faced with shrieking waste of time material. How the mighty have fallen.

Also, thank you all for the warm welcome here.
Your honesty is welcome here. I feel sorry for the people who defend whats going on with Giant Bomb now. The fans who still support the site whole hog are deluding themselves. It's great to be here with people that wont react to any criticism with a 'Shut the fuck up' like Vinny and the rest basically do now.

Last edited:

GoingToCancelGB

Neo Member
Nov 19, 2019
Your honesty is welcome here. I feel sorry for the people who defend whats going on with Giant Bomb now. The fans who still support the site whole hog are deluding themselves. It's great to be here with people that wont react to any criticism with a 'Shut the fuck up' like Vinny and the rest basically do now.
Fuck your opinion and everything you are.

Oh, dang it, sorry I'm not on GB. What I actually meant was thank you, and I feel the same to be able to speak freely, not hating, without being shamed. Sheesh

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
I just opened up Giant Bomb and had one the best laughs I've had in a while.

Ben looks cross eyed in the Sekiro video thumbnail.

The poor dude looks soooo goofy.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
The sad thing is that our comments come from a place where we just want to see GB become better, like it used to be. The site and people associated with it have turned their backs on the fans and have become almost entirely different people. Do you think, that when Jeff started the site that a Nancy Drew point and click adventure play through would be premium content? Hell no. He would never allow something like that. The site is just in such a sad state. My wife and I were watching the Shenmue 3 QL and she asked me why they are constantly cross talking and not paying attention and covering the game well at all. I told her “that’s how it is now” QLs are an excuse to do the least amount of work while still putting *something* out so they can point to it if the big bad CBSi executives ever ask why they keep them employed. The sad truth is the don’t really even cover games, when they do it’s basic info they grab from a press release and just change it up a bit. Having a person on the QL who has zero idea about the series at all and only “heard about it after I got the job” is baffling. Why? Who is that content for at this point?

I WANT GB to be better, I want them to cover games well, do fun videos and have amazing podcast. It used to be that way, and can be again... but it looks like they honestly don’t care enough anymore. Everyone is starting to have families, and has to do whatever it is to keep them financially stable. That basically means just doing the bare minimum and not much else. Why work hard when you don’t have to? Why listen to the fans when you don’t have to?

rofif

Sep 13, 2019
So they're really taking a 6+ month break from Mass Alex? I guess playing a top 10 game of last gen two hours a week was just too much.

Also, went to the site for the first time in ages, saw there was a Sekiro video (with Ben of course), clicked it just to see and there's like 20 minutes of fucking nothing at the start, because they streamed it. My question then is what the hell is your video team there for, if you can't even cut out the fluff? Did they sell their video editing software?
I honestly do not understand why they have streaming issues after doing this for 10 years. In the past they at least did not had pointless preshows. Now, they are always late 5-10 minutes and then do the pre-show to "test the stream" EVERY TIME.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I honestly do not understand why they have streaming issues after doing this for 10 years. In the past they at least did not had pointless preshows. Now, they are always late 5-10 minutes and then do the pre-show to "test the stream" EVERY TIME.
Them being late is absolutely nothing new though, I remember when I subed in 2013 and sat around for my first UPF for a good 20 minutes before the stream came up. No tweet or apology on stream about "hey we are having technical issues". But then again, we are dealing with people who make streaming so much harder than it needs to be. My 12 year old niece could start up a stream faster than these "professionals",

GoingToCancelGB

Neo Member
Nov 19, 2019
The sad thing is that our comments come from a place where we just want to see GB become better, like it used to be. The site and people associated with it have turned their backs on the fans and have become almost entirely different people. Do you think, that when Jeff started the site that a Nancy Drew point and click adventure play through would be premium content? Hell no. He would never allow something like that. The site is just in such a sad state. My wife and I were watching the Shenmue 3 QL and she asked me why they are constantly cross talking and not paying attention and covering the game well at all. I told her “that’s how it is now” QLs are an excuse to do the least amount of work while still putting *something* out so they can point to it if the big bad CBSi executives ever ask why they keep them employed. The sad truth is the don’t really even cover games, when they do it’s basic info they grab from a press release and just change it up a bit. Having a person on the QL who has zero idea about the series at all and only “heard about it after I got the job” is baffling. Why? Who is that content for at this point?

I WANT GB to be better, I want them to cover games well, do fun videos and have amazing podcast. It used to be that way, and can be again... but it looks like they honestly don’t care enough anymore. Everyone is starting to have families, and has to do whatever it is to keep them financially stable. That basically means just doing the bare minimum and not much else. Why work hard when you don’t have to? Why listen to the fans when you don’t have to?
Respect

I too want GB to endure and grow. I didn't come here to just rant and ramble, I did so because I care about the community and health of the organization.

The truth is, as you have alluded to, is that the founders, the old timers, are just tired after a decade of work making the site, the community what it *was*. We all grow and learn. After having kids, after being married, perspective changes. In respect to GB, who then carries the torch? If the founders are long in the tooth (there's a Ben joke there, I'm sure), what better to rely upon than the paying public for input, those that are constructive, at least? It's a closed cell network and frankly needs a slap to the face which the recent hires have not provided. The recent hires are flexing their ability to dominate the scene for their own benefit, and disregard what the culture of GB has been for so long. Sell outs. they are.

If things shift that's fine, GB is married now, however this certainly is not the right direction.

I don't pretend to have an answer, but I've been around long enough to see signs of cancer in the business world. The business needs to change or they will fail. I hope it does not come to that.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Who the fuck is that dude in this beastcast?
Do you mean Mike Mahardy? He works at Gamespot and for some unexplained reason has been on the last month worth of podcasts in a row.

God forbid, they’d explain something to their customers.

EDIT: Oh? Guess you were talking about someone else.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Spukc

ElKabong

Sep 29, 2019
I'm not sure why I've never made this connection before but sometimes I wake up moments after I fall asleep while listening to the Beastcast (I listen to podcasts to help me fall asleep) and 9 out of 10 times it's Abby fucking SHRIEKING like a banshee over everyone else because HER OPINION MUST BE HEARD! I don't think it's a conspiracy theory anymore; she definitely raises the volume of her mic above everyone else's. "What have you played, Abby?" is my cue to start skipping until she's done.

Reactions: Scopa

ElKabong

Sep 29, 2019
It's just funny how someone who went to College for anything film related doesn't really know much about basic Star Wars plot points.
I'm not trying to be contrarian here but... is it though? What Podunk college would include Star Wars in their film studies curriculum? :messenger_beaming: Disclaimer: I'm 40 years old and fucking love movies, and I had no idea wtf "force ghosts" were until your post promted me to google it.

Reactions: Dale-Gribble-

ElKabong

Sep 29, 2019
Do you think, that when Jeff started the site that a Nancy Drew point and click adventure play through would be premium content? Hell no. He would never allow something like that.
It definitely could have been, but it would be done in a comedic/satirical way, like "don't shake the baby". I understand your point though. Content that many years ago was ridiculing and poking fun is now straight faced put out as premium content.

Sep 18, 2019
Upstate NY
It’s crazy to me how on the Nancy Drew stream Abby sequesters Dan to the control room and tells him to not speak too much. It’s really insane. He’s the most normal of the whole group (I.e. not a SJW lunatic) so there’s another red flag for you. No one treats her that way and she always has an excuse for everything she does or says and has free reign to soapbox, even in ignorance.
Ben continues to suck. I think it was the Stadia stream where he made a terrible joke and just sat and stared at everyone waiting for acknowledgment, while Jeff just stared ahead, which happens all the time. Ben and Abby really are the new norm sadly. It feels so backwards.
I am happy to say that after spending several hours with it, Shenmue 3 is oddly intriguing. The controls and menu are modernized and feel much better, but oddly the combat is redone and feels stiff; not at all like the previous two games. I’ll probably get bored of it eventually but I want to keep playing.

Hudo

Jul 26, 2018
It’s crazy to me how on the Nancy Drew stream Abby sequesters Dan to the control room and tells him to not speak too much. It’s really insane. He’s the most normal of the whole group (I.e. not a SJW lunatic) so there’s another red flag for you. No one treats her that way and she always has an excuse for everything she does or says and has free reign to soapbox, even in ignorance.
Ben continues to suck. I think it was the Stadia stream where he made a terrible joke and just sat and stared at everyone waiting for acknowledgment, while Jeff just stared ahead, which happens all the time. Ben and Abby really are the new norm sadly. It feels so backwards.
I am happy to say that after spending several hours with it, Shenmue 3 is oddly intriguing. The controls and menu are modernized and feel much better, but oddly the combat is redone and feels stiff; not at all like the previous two games. I’ll probably get bored of it eventually but I want to keep playing.
Wait, what? Lol. Wasn't she hired to sit in the control room and "produce" the videos? Wtf is going on over there?

Pompey

Neo Member
Oct 5, 2019
Ron Funches is a good dude and I am happy that he was on the Beastcast. Looking at the Reddit it seems he called them out for picking Tetris as their GOTY “Every year you all pick a pretentious game of the year.” It is good to see that them finally take advantage of having a studio in New York to have guests on or just do anything that justifies them having two locations. Especially since their New York stuido is so small that they can't even play Switch games in it.
I am still not going to listen to Beastcast because Abby, Alex and Jeff B. I know Jeff B is not as bad as the other two, but he really likes thinking that he is the smartest guy in the room. I can see how being it that room with anyone would think they are the smartest guy in the room, but still...

As for the Nancy Drew stuff, at least in concept I get why they doing video it seems like a funny idea. One of the crew are passionate about them and it is a style of games that the GB crew hasn't really covered before in that same way Drew cover oddball Easten European flight games. They are plenty of other mystery games that would have been interesting to see played by the crew for example Justin McElroy's description of the Sherlock Holmes stuff sound like it could generate a few laughs.

Giant Bombcast: Justin McElroy on Sherlock Holmes 6 and 7! - E3 2011, 2012 and 2014 Compilation

Abby however seems only interested in playing this one set of games that no one else is interested in seeing. What was interesting is that Dan seemed to be doing Abby real job, how about they do that to Ben so that he can sit and video production and not interrupt ever video. Also the way this series was announced and the thumbnail of the video (Alex's reaction face) really show what GiantBomb thinks their product is now. They don't have to communicate with the fans about they are planning. They just have to poop out a new video and slap on YouTube reaction face on it like any other totally free Let's Play caster.

Reactions: DangerStepp

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
I'm not trying to be contrarian here but... is it though? What Podunk college would include Star Wars in their film studies curriculum? :messenger_beaming: Disclaimer: I'm 40 years old and fucking love movies, and I had no idea wtf "force ghosts" were until your post promted me to google it.
Aren’t there legit universities who have entire courses on Harry Potter?

Don’t forget, we’re living in Clown World.

Reactions: Ghetto_Capitalist