• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

Rei no Otaku

Jul 4, 2008
Cranston, RI
This is Jan's doing, right? I thought he stopped doing the YouTube thumbnails when even the GB zealots on giantbomb.com said they were lame as fuck.
I bet it's a CBS mandate from higher up. They probably want more numbers on their Youtube videos and they think kids love the reaction shots, so they're forcing GB to use them.

Pompey

Neo Member
Oct 5, 2019
Wow, the first 30 seconds of the Terminator Quick Look is everything that Giant Bomb is now.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I wonder if Ron talks about his comedy on the new Beastcast episode? I wonder if he talks about how easy it is, and how he is absolutely amazing at it and how anyone who finds it challenging to write jokes is a stupid moron who sucks at life and isn't as awesome as him?

Last edited:

JovianLizards

Sep 9, 2019
I'm not trying to be contrarian here but... is it though? What Podunk college would include Star Wars in their film studies curriculum? :messenger_beaming: Disclaimer: I'm 40 years old and fucking love movies, and I had no idea wtf "force ghosts" were until your post promted me to google it.
You can be contrarian if you want, I don't mind. The Star Wars original trilogy is revered here in America. Someone who puts their time and effort into getting a film production degree, you'd think, would have a breadth and depth of movie knowledge, especially for classic films like Star Wars. That's what my point was. I think though that Star Wars is big enough that film production majors might have it incorporated into their course work in some way.

Abby, as well, has said how she enjoyed Star Wars Episode 8 (of course she would), which very much has force ghosts in it. Her saying she doesn't know what force ghosts are is incredibly stupid.

Last edited:
Reactions: rofif

Noboru Wataya

Bored at work, horned up to the gills
Jul 8, 2016
Northern Ireland, UK
Abby in the Shenmue Quicklook "oh, i hate this baby voice so much, that voice made me wanna die, no, put a muzzle on her, eughhh"

I dare anyone, who is not banned on GB, to post that about Abby and see how they take it.

Reactions: rofif

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
QLcrew.com is seriously the best site ever. How they still haven’t just hired that dude, or just have the main site redirect to that is baffling. Having filters to never show certain people is great.

Dale-Gribble-

Formerly 'Eazy_tom'
Jan 9, 2015
It was in reference to Tell Me Why and a certain site that complains about everything asking about trans writers on staff.

I'm surprised they mentioned them at all. They tend to steer clear of trying to get controversial
I did a double take when I heard that too, but I think he was talking about Twitter.
If he was talking about Twitter I doubt he'd avoid mentioning the site.
He was talking about Twitter, here is his quote
"I saw alot of people being mad on twitter, as you do, about the fact that, not to play it down or anything, that's just the number one site to be mad about things"

Reactions: Scopa

Zaffo

Feb 11, 2018
QLcrew.com is seriously the best site ever. How they still haven’t just hired that dude, or just have the main site redirect to that is baffling. Having filters to never show certain people is great.
After setting sensible filters, it should be clear for anyone that the GB premium subscription is not worth it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

• Fire
Reactions: Rebo

YodaBB

Neo Member
Nov 19, 2019
I'm not sure why I've never made this connection before but sometimes I wake up moments after I fall asleep while listening to the Beastcast (I listen to podcasts to help me fall asleep) and 9 out of 10 times it's Abby fucking SHRIEKING like a banshee
Can't imagine anything worse lol, you should try listening to some asmr, always sends me to sleep nicely - gibi on youtube is a good one.

Abby in the Shenmue Quicklook "oh, i hate this baby voice so much, that voice made me wanna die, no, put a muzzle on her, eughhh"
She says it without a hint of irony of course, then she proceeds to do a terrible imitation of it and I'm thinking...that's actually not as bad as your normal voice.

Jul 7, 2019
I sometimes go through the videos listed on qlcrew.com with the "best videos", and for the most part, good videos are near the top. However, I'm confused why certain ones are rated so highly on there. Like the Quick Look for Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy is high on the list, and those two games sounds like something that would be hysterical...but I've watched it again just recently, and it's just meh. Not really that funny, or entertaining. Even if it is a better video than most recent stuff simply for the fact that it has Ryan in it, and it's before Ben and Abby. The best videos list is also not a great representation because no one really thumbs up the videos enough for it to be a good indicator on what's good or not, so it feels like some classics might get forgotten about because some people forgot to do the thumbs up on it. What content do some of you think should be among the top best videos from GB history?

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
UPF was abysmal this week, with Rorie playing Dead Cells and Jen playing more Pokémon... then almost an hour of just inane talking and Dave doing his pointless slideshow (WHY?!?!). I posted a comment and guess what the response was? The same canned verbiage that everyone uses there on that site “maybe it’s just not for you” like these morons can’t think for themselves and come up with an actual reason. Or it was defending it with “goofing off is the best part”. Giant Bomb is really catering to these idiots who doing think video games should be the main reason to watch Giant Bomb. Instead it should be people talking about toilet humor. Ugh, I forgot how much I absolutely hate the Giant Bomb community.

Greedings

May 23, 2016
This thread drives me nuts. If you hate GB so much, just stop interacting with them. Stop giving them money, whether through advertising or if you’re a moron, through a subscription. It’s a fucking video games podcast, you don’t need to listen.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
This thread drives me nuts. If you hate GB so much, just stop interacting with them. Stop giving them money, whether through advertising or if you’re a moron, through a subscription. It’s a fucking video games podcast, you don’t need to listen.
I literally said yesterday that we don’t hate Giant Bomb. We want to see it flourish, but they are steadfast in their pursuit to change the audience they are targeting to, to dimwits and children. People who need streamers to dress up in dollar store costumes and come up with gimmick to show off games. I started paying for the site back when they actually covered games in an interesting and fun way. I bought subscriptions up to 2022 on discount through sales (honestly $35 a year is literally nothing to me, so it’s not really a big deal). I still enjoy parts of GB (the podcasts when certain people aren’t part of it) or series like Mass Effect or Metal Gear, the very rare occasion they do something rad like the 80’s music ranking... but it keeps getting more and more rare as time goes on. And the new hires who know less than a high schooler about games are starting to take over and run the entire site.
We don’t Hate Giant Bomb, we are sad that it’s changing into another twitch channel focusing their demographic to children and morons.

Last edited:

TexMex

Aug 30, 2019
This post drives me nuts. If you hate this thread so much, just stop interacting with it. It's a fucking thread about a game website, you don't have to read it.

BibleBLACKED

Mar 20, 2017
I thought Abby was annoying enough, but this beastcast guest they have on this week is grating to listen to and his lame jokes every two seconds aren't making things better.

pochepiller2

Neo Member
Aug 4, 2019
He sound terrible, this guy a comedian? He should begin with a apology every time he opens his mouth.

Ron Funches is his name.

Greedings

May 23, 2016
"LEAVE GIANT BOMB ALOOOOOOONE!:pie_lcry::pie_lcry: :pie_lcry::pie_lcry: :pie_lcry::pie_lcry: " - Greedings, 2019
I’m literally saying the opposite. Stop wasting your time on such a shitty company. They’ve been crap for years, and this thread is a bunch of people moaning about how it sucks, yet still listen and watch their awful content.
what is it? Some kind of Stockholm syndrome?

Reactions: BarmyDodger

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
I’m literally saying the opposite. Stop wasting your time on such a shitty company. They’ve been crap for years, and this thread is a bunch of people moaning about how it sucks, yet still listen and watch their awful content.
what is it? Some kind of Stockholm syndrome?
I’ve stated many times, that for me personally, I listen so that I stay informed. For research.

So, when someone tries to play defence force for this crap, I can respond from a position of knowledge instead of saying “well, when I last listened to GB two years ago...”.

I hate what they have become and represent and I don’t ignore things I find stupid, I call it out and push back. I don’t stick my head in the sand.

It needs to be called out for what it is.

Reactions: Ghetto_Capitalist

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I still watch because I do still like a few of the people, even though their personality has changed a lot of the last 10 years. But that’s expected, I have too, I’m not the same person I was a decade ago, the only difference is, that somehow they changed into less mature versions who started selling out to a more corporate and PC imagine. Political Correctness is killing society.

I also still enjoy a few of the series like Mass Effect, this is the run, even 13 Deadly Sim was a really fun idea. Them playing through Bloodstained and Goldeneye this year has also been enjoyable. But it’s a few bad apples that are ruining even some of those series. I also have a subscription for years thanks to stacking sales prices years ago. So it’s basically free in my mind.
GB has been a huge part of my life and even if it’s absolutely terrible, it can just be background noise while cooking or cleaning or something else. It’s just a bummer it’s changed it’s identity so much that it barely is recognizable from its original ways. I’ll continue to watch, but this place has become a place where we can vent our frustrations about certain things without fear of the toxic community where nothing is ever bad and any criticism is met with extreme hostility.

Reactions: DangerStepp

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
They’re slinging subscription sales again.

How many’s that this year? 4? 5? 6? Does anyone pay full price anymore?

I honestly think it’s a desperate attempt to pump up their numbers after pressure from corporate.

Will be interesting to observe the next 12 months.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Kadayi

Greedings

May 23, 2016
I still watch because I do still like a few of the people, even though their personality has changed a lot of the last 10 years. But that’s expected, I have too, I’m not the same person I was a decade ago, the only difference is, that somehow they changed into less mature versions who started selling out to a more corporate and PC imagine. Political Correctness is killing society.

I also still enjoy a few of the series like Mass Effect, this is the run, even 13 Deadly Sim was a really fun idea. Them playing through Bloodstained and Goldeneye this year has also been enjoyable. But it’s a few bad apples that are ruining even some of those series. I also have a subscription for years thanks to stacking sales prices years ago. So it’s basically free in my mind.
GB has been a huge part of my life and even if it’s absolutely terrible, it can just be background noise while cooking or cleaning or something else. It’s just a bummer it’s changed it’s identity so much that it barely is recognizable from its original ways. I’ll continue to watch, but this place has become a place where we can vent our frustrations about certain things without fear of the toxic community where nothing is ever bad and any criticism is met with extreme hostility.
I used to do the same. It was part of my rotation and had been for a good 5 years. But they won’t change if you support everything they do. Let them starve.

Find something else, I’m sure there’s plenty of other things you can listen to while you wash your dishes.

Even the ones I (used to) like should learn a bit of humility.

Zaffo

Feb 11, 2018
My sub is up to march 2020, will you guys hook me up with a "lending link" when stuff like the next Mass Alex comes out?
Since you are all stacked with subs for the years to come :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

BibleBLACKED

Mar 20, 2017
The only thing I consume is the bombcast. Beastcast here and there and the E3 reactions. Stopped watching their long and boring quicklooks and any other video series years ago. Obviously don' t pay for premium.

Last edited:

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
The only thing I consume is the bombcast. Beastcast here and there and the E3 reactions. Stopped watching their long and boring quicklooks and any other video series years ago. Obviously don' t pay for premium.
I only listen bombcasts that dont have Ben. I gave up on the beastcast and the rest of their content a while ago.

Last edited:

O-N-E

Jul 11, 2018
Jeff Gerstmann: Doesn't like Star Wars, not into Souls series, hates Uncharted.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order? "Sounds good, I'd like to play it."

• LOL
Reactions: Noboru Wataya

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Jeff Gerstmann: Doesn't like Star Wars, not into Souls series, hates Uncharted.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order? "Sounds good, I'd like to play it."
He champions Respawn’s games like his life depends on it. Always has. To a comical degree.

Knowing his history, I’d wager that he’s personal friends with someone on the Respawn team.

Nothing surer.

BarmyDodger

Aug 15, 2018
He champions Respawn’s games like his life depends on it. Always has. To a comical degree.

Knowing his history, I’d wager that he’s personal friends with someone on the Respawn team.

Nothing surer.
Titanfall 2 was pretty good I guess.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I hate multiplayer games, and Titanfall was really fun, Titanfall 2 was phenomenal. I can’t believe we got Apex Legends instead of Titanfall 3. They say that it had no impact on them working on Titanfall 3... I don’t believe that at all.

Reactions: Noboru Wataya

drganon

Sep 20, 2019

Nothing surer.
I'd chalk it up more to Jeff having weird to shit taste in games, movies, music and stuff in general.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: ferralcow and Scopa

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Yeah, as far as integrity goes, Jeff seems like he's not going to let personal relationships get in the middle of that stuff. It's more that Jeff likes and prefers a lot of things that he grew up with and that hold a large amount of nostalgia, and he holds onto that much more tightly.

Rei no Otaku

Jul 4, 2008
Cranston, RI
I hate multiplayer games, and Titanfall was really fun, Titanfall 2 was phenomenal. I can’t believe we got Apex Legends instead of Titanfall 3. They say that it had no impact on them working on Titanfall 3... I don’t believe that at all.
They even said there was going to be a major Titanfall related announcement this year. So much for that I guess. Apex Legends is ok, but Titanfall 2 was amazing. The fact that it sold poorly pisses me off. So instead of a unique multiplayer shooter with one of the best campaigns in years people just flock to the boring ass battle royal game.

I'd chalk it up more to Jeff having weird to shit taste in games, movies, music and stuff in general.
Yup. He has probably the worst taste in games on the whole site. All he ever wants is the blandest experience he can find. Class based shooter with unique and diverse lineup? Just give me the guy that plays like Call of Duty. Fighting game with tons of awesome characters? Where's the "Ryu"? The game requires even the most minute amount of effort to enjoy its mechanics? How fast can I install cheat engine on this?

Reactions: Greedings

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
I’m not denying that Jeff has boring and shit tastes in games, but he also has a history of shilling his mate’s games. Divekick comes to mind.

I’m not suggesting he’s getting paid for it or anything like that, but he’s definitely done it in the past. I get that he’s one of the “best” of a bad bunch, but I don’t believe for a second that his integrity keeps him above that sort of thing.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I think Jeff genuinely likes/loves divekick. I think it's right up his alley being so diluted into a two button fighter that it'd probably make it in his top 10 of all generation list. I don't think it really has anything to do with Iron Galaxy or Dave Lang.

I think it's a much larger issue than just GB, I think all of games media has a real big issue trying to keep it above reproach. The mere fact that these games are given for free and out before anyone else is able to get their hands on it, in some cases months before hand, I think makes it much easier for people to just ignore glaring issues a game could have. Giving away things like premium DLC codes and allowing no one to spend any money whatsoever on the product is much different than spending their "hard" earned money on it.

I wrote into the Bombcast this last week about Fallen Order. I saw several gaming "journalists" post pictures of their fancy versions of the game that came with full replica lightsabers and huge boxes. All they received for free. This seems like they are doing the advertising and marketing for the companies. This seems super scummy to me and makes me not want to take the person's opinion seriously. Maybe they are just a fan of Star Wars (who isn't at this point, it's just pop culture) but them getting these custom made things, that aren't available to the general public for free, and then being able to keep the items is terrible. It really is paying off people, not matter what they say. It's going to influence them. If they truly wanted to have scruples, those editions would be denied outright.

It's like when RoosterTeeth made fun of Jeff for his Fallout 4 review while they all sat their with pipboys on. What a bunch of scumbags. I don't think you can have a truly unbiased option about something. Either you are going to get it for free, and it doesn't cost you anything, so what do you care if it has a ton of issues. Or you can spend the money, and you have invested into it, so you are going to have that riding on the line.

For games coverage, I'd much rather have them all have to buy the games like the rest of us and really give us personal options on something they had to spend money on. Do you think Death Stranding coverage would be as glowing as it is, if they had to pay for the privilege of walking for 60 hours? Even the youtube reviewers are bad, you can't take anything they say seriously. Either, because most of them are just copying someone else, or giving out positive opinions to get things for free, or doing the Angry thing to get more clicks and likes so they can get free money. It's so rare to find someone who just does something because they enjoy it and don't care about any of that stuff, they just want to share something they enjoy.

Dale-Gribble-

Formerly 'Eazy_tom'
Jan 9, 2015
I think Jeff genuinely likes/loves divekick. I think it's right up his alley being so diluted into a two button fighter that it'd probably make it in his top 10 of all generation list. I don't think it really has anything to do with Iron Galaxy or Dave Lang.

I think it's a much larger issue than just GB, I think all of games media has a real big issue trying to keep it above reproach. The mere fact that these games are given for free and out before anyone else is able to get their hands on it, in some cases months before hand, I think makes it much easier for people to just ignore glaring issues a game could have. Giving away things like premium DLC codes and allowing no one to spend any money whatsoever on the product is much different than spending their "hard" earned money on it.

I wrote into the Bombcast this last week about Fallen Order. I saw several gaming "journalists" post pictures of their fancy versions of the game that came with full replica lightsabers and huge boxes. All they received for free. This seems like they are doing the advertising and marketing for the companies. This seems super scummy to me and makes me not want to take the person's opinion seriously. Maybe they are just a fan of Star Wars (who isn't at this point, it's just pop culture) but them getting these custom made things, that aren't available to the general public for free, and then being able to keep the items is terrible. It really is paying off people, not matter what they say. It's going to influence them. If they truly wanted to have scruples, those editions would be denied outright.

It's like when RoosterTeeth made fun of Jeff for his Fallout 4 review while they all sat their with pipboys on. What a bunch of scumbags. I don't think you can have a truly unbiased option about something. Either you are going to get it for free, and it doesn't cost you anything, so what do you care if it has a ton of issues. Or you can spend the money, and you have invested into it, so you are going to have that riding on the line.

For games coverage, I'd much rather have them all have to buy the games like the rest of us and really give us personal options on something they had to spend money on. Do you think Death Stranding coverage would be as glowing as it is, if they had to pay for the privilege of walking for 60 hours? Even the youtube reviewers are bad, you can't take anything they say seriously. Either, because most of them are just copying someone else, or giving out positive opinions to get things for free, or doing the Angry thing to get more clicks and likes so they can get free money. It's so rare to find someone who just does something because they enjoy it and don't care about any of that stuff, they just want to share something they enjoy.
So I hear what you're saying about getting the product for free, but I don't agree with you on that being a problem for a larger outlet like Giant Bomb.
Firstly, even if they had to "pay" for a review copy of a game, its a job expense and they could just use the "company card" and it wouldn't at all be like you and I purchasing the game from steam or the like.
I believe most of the time they actually do "buy" these games, Jeff talked about how many review copies Sony was sending out for Death Stranding, that statement alone shows its not normal
for them to get more than a few free copies, and that a lot of companies are sensitive with things like review copies. Most outlets probably get one or two review copies for a particular game,
and the rest of the staff "buys" that game if they want to play. Secondly, as far as I know they don't get given every single game, they have talked about games not having a review copy available
plenty of times. DOOM (2016) is a great example, no early review copies and they said things like "you wonder if this is a bad sign" and "no early copies for review can mean they aren't confident in
their product" then it came out and they gave DOOM #2 GOTY. They have talked about exactly what you're talking about before on the Bombcast, YouTubers with 1000 subs getting free copies of Skyrim remastered all giving the game glowing "reviews". This isn't something most large outlets do IMO, small YouTubers sure, but its on you to vet who you're watching and taking advice from, you even
used quotes around journalist so you know large outlets aren't the problem.

The Death Stranding statement is a weird one, GB has shit all over Death Stranding, and people in this very thread, who purchased the game with their own money have been mad about that.
These people have talked about how they love the game even though they "had to pay for the privilege of walking for 60 hours", some people just like that stuff and are happy to pay for it.
I know there are a few automotive sites, who refuse to have flights their flights payed for when going to press launches, that way no one can say their opinion is payed for. If you find something
like that valuable I'm sure there are also gaming outlets that do the same.

Speaking of automotive journalism, do you not trust any car or motorcycle reviews from journalist's because they were given the vehicle for free to test?
Sure they aren't given the vehicle to own, but of course a car is much more expensive then a $60 game. There are even long term reviews where writers drive these cars
for months. A lot of these writers don't even own more than a 20 year old beater car because they are always driving a brand new one for review.

Oh and that Roosterteeth shit was ridiculous, I used to listen to their podcasts but completely stopped after that, Jeff gave Fallout 4, 3 and 4 stars respetively (console-pc) and they were actively mad
about his review, talk about embarrsing. I love fallout, its one of, if not my favorite series and Jeff's review was absolutely fair, I love fallout 4 and in no way does it deserve 5 stars.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
With buying a car, I don’t think I’ve ever read a review for a car. I go out and test drive it, and usually just have a good idea of what the car is going to do well vs not do well on my own. Then again, I’ve only had a handful of cars in my life and most of them preowned. I keep those suckers until they are run into the ground or need to be sold.

Doom wasn’t given out early but it certainly was still giving it out for free, just on launch day. I am just saying that it’s harder to take people’s opinions on anything that seriously when there is no real risk on the reviewers part. I trust Giant Bomb for the most part. But like you said, you have to be care of who you trust. I don’t come to GB for reviews, nor any one else for that matter, it’s purely entertainment And their reviews are interesting to see how they cover it but never taken farther than that. I like having a quick look so I can see how the game looks and plays in a normal environment and not just some marketing CGI trailer with no indication of how it actually looks and plays.

Reactions: Dale-Gribble-