• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushoomba

Aug 15, 2020
"When I chose to leave GB, streaming on my own was a no brainer." Seems odd that she keeps on stressing the "chose" part even now 🤔.

She also shouts out her viewers for rolling over for her when she gives them shit for "backseating" or being rude. Sounds like a fun, chill stream.
Also, why was streaming a no brainer if she previously said she "chose to leave" GB because she wanted to move away from games?

Harts316

Dec 9, 2012
Some good quotes here. Maybe her former co-workers could take her advice. Maybe she did leave on her own volition. :lollipop_astonished:

Some of the best advice I’ve received before I started streaming to Twitch is to be serious about maintaining your schedule. If your audience doesn’t know when to expect you, how can they watch your streams? Truly, consistency is key in establishing an audience.

And my personal advice for anyone getting started is to stream what you’re excited about and interested in! If you are just chasing what you think will be popular, you’re probably not going to be having very much fun which will show during your streams. Enthusiasm and passion are contagious, AND you’ll be more likely to draw in an audience of like-minded people who will be excited to see you do more! Win win!

I think you can do a lot with a little on Twitch and your content is always going to be more important than however much money you’re putting into the hardware. I’m a big proponent of dressing well for streams, being comfortable, and having streaming equipment that is reliable so you don’t have to worry about anything but the game you’re playing.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Evil Calvin

Brute

Nov 25, 2020
There’s literally 1000s of streamers to watch on Twitch. Why would anyone waste their evenings watching Abby fucking Russell? She’s got a shit, arrogant personality, she isn’t exactly easy on the eye and doesn’t actually like video games.

I guarantee that all 5 of her viewers will be the weirdos from the Giant Bomb Reddit who think they’ve got a chance with her.

Last edited:

waylo

Banned
Jan 7, 2018

Ben has taken the heinous facial hair comments to heart. However, instead of actually getting rid of it, he has chosen to obscure himself among a giant pile of dogshit.

Brute

Nov 25, 2020
What's the deal with her? Like, why does someone that beautiful need sweaty gamers dribbling over her photos? I've never understood it. She's constantly posting selfies, it's too much for most neckbeards they'll explode from the excitement. All about the 'brand Kish' I guess?

I bet the other women in the game media industry hate her secretly.

Last edited:

Ben's Pack

Banned
Jan 7, 2021
What's the deal with her? Like, why does someone that beautiful need sweaty gamers dribbling over her photos? I've never understood it. She's constantly posting selfies, it's too much for most neckbeards they'll explode from the excitement. All about the 'brand Kish' I guess?

I bet the other women in the game media industry hate her secretly.
Mary is clearly a massive dork with a deep love for all things geeky and gaming.

That probably comes with a lot of insecurities, as is the case for most women regardless of their interest or personality type.

She obviously likes attention but I don't think it's a sinister plan to get simps to bankroll her forever on Twitch. She has a successful career, she's smart, she's funny/interesting.

She also works in an industry where most women are ugly or not actually women but crazy trannies, so she's always going to stand out more.

I realise this could be viewed as a white knight post, but I just think she's pretty cool and along with the likes of Mahardy and Ryckert should be viewed pretty highly.

Last edited:

Brute

Nov 25, 2020
Mary is clearly a massive dork with a deep love for all things geeky and gaming.

That probably comes with a lot of insecurities, as is the case for most women regardless of their interest or personality type.

She obviously likes attention but I don't think it's a sinister plan to get simps to bankroll her forever on Twitch. She has a successful career, she's smart, she's funny/interesting.

She also works in an industry where most women are ugly or not actually women but crazy trannies, so she's always going to stand out more.

I realise this could be viewed as a white knight post, but I just think she's pretty cool and along with the likes of Mahardy and Ryckert should be viewed pretty highly.
I don't know anything about Mary so thanks for the insight. I've caught her on a few live streams and she's been shy but really cool and funny. I just wondered why she posted the pics but I guess - why not? Everyone does it these days. I'm just old and cynical.

Reactions: RyuCookingSomeRice

Ben's Pack

Banned
Jan 7, 2021
I don't know anything about Mary so thanks for the insight. I've caught her on a few live streams and she's been shy but really cool and funny. I just wondered why she posted the pics but I guess - why not? Everyone does it these days. I'm just old and cynical.
Watch her Resident Kinevil series with Mike - where they play EVERY Resident Evil game - you're in for a treat sir.

They're all on YouTube, on the Gamespot channel.

Last edited:

Brute

Nov 25, 2020
Watch her Resident Kinevil series with Mike - where they play EVERY Resident Evil game - you're in for a treat sir.

They're all on YouTube, on the Gamespot channel.
I'll check them out, thanks! And you need a new username now :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

Senua

Apr 30, 2007
Wait...does that mean the bombcast is listenable again?

I mean it'll still be dull but it won't be as annoying

The GB reddit is a joy to read right now. And most of them are still in denial about GB being in the shit.

I read places like that and wonder, am I just miserable or are they deluded. probably both :p

Last edited:

Ben's Pack

Banned
Jan 7, 2021

I read places like that and wonder, am I just miserable or are they deluded. probably both :p
Yes I will start listening again.

It will still be 75% Jeff monologue
10% Brad uptalk
10% Jan Pokemon talk
5% Jason grunting

But with 100% less Ben mothafuckaaaazz

• LOL
Reactions: BertleTheTurtle

Brute

Nov 25, 2020

They're deluded - the place is a cult. I used to enjoy the GB reddit 2-3 years ago. But in recent times its become crazy on there. You have to be praising Jeff and his minions 100% of the time or you'll get banned.

Reactions: DangerStepp
Nov 15, 2016
USA
I didn't mind Ben. He actually played videogames which was pretty nice for the videogame podcast.

Honestly super shocked he's leaving. GB is in a pretty weird place with 2 of their last 3 hires "leaving" while they were still allegedly trying to fill other positions. Can't imagine they're getting any new hires anytime soon after the sale.

Rikku-X

Aug 1, 2020
My guess is they are downscaling, bringing west and east together. Not going back to the studios and seeing how that works.

Small Change

Jul 17, 2020
so who's next?

if GBeast is done for...vinny probably wont move back west.
The video producers would be my guess. They all have skills that transfer out of videogames which is a huge head start on the editorial staff. That said, Vinny and Brad probably have pretty formidable contact books with the industry that could lead to them being taken on in a publisher or developer PR or Marketing role. Right now I think it's anyone's guess as to whether there is a next person to leave or if the site just winds up.

Last edited:

Small Change

Jul 17, 2020
What are they drinking on Reddit?

WHAT ENERGY HAS JAN BROUGHT TO ANYTHING?!

Fucking mentalists. :messenger_grimmacing_
What does the "energy" thing even mean? It came up a ton when Abby made her totally independent choice to leave the site by her own volition and it meant nothing then too. He abandoned the first feature he started, he abandoned a Fallout 2 playthrough because Chris Avellone spoke to a woman in an elevator and couldn't play through Last of Us 2 because of the dog murder. Hell, he just started a new feature knowing he was on his way out the door so that doesn't seem energetic to me. He probably plays the most games of anyone on staff which is admirable but not saying much given his colleagues.

As for Jan, he does a bad job producing a podcast once a week and once told a funny story about some guys who hung around a place where he worked. If that's energy to the die-hard fans then it's no wonder that the site has slid into the lethargic death spiral it's in now.

I will say that Reddit thread has an awfully high level of realism in it so I'm sure the mods are preparing to make it a graveyard and lock it up while they prepare a "Ben Appreciation Post".

CharlieTuna

Nov 21, 2019
Wait, Ben got canned? Damn, the situation must be way worse than i thought. Anyway, not gonna celebrate this dude losing his job, but he was the worst fit possible

Mushoomba

Aug 15, 2020
As for Jan, he does a bad job producing a podcast once a week and once told a funny story about some guys who hung around a place where he worked. If that's energy to the die-hard fans then it's no wonder that the site has slid into the lethargic death spiral it's in now.
Even though their video and audio quality is absolute garbage, Jan still did more as a producer in one year than Jason in four years. Jan’s not that greatest as a personality but, for better or for worse, he’s probably the best producer they had there since Drew left.

But I know that’s not saying much, since the bar for “good” in GB is pretty low.

Last edited:

kamkamkam

Neo Member
Jan 11, 2021
Everyone is 'leaving' though. No - they're all losing their jobs because GB is either downscaling and or it's calling it a day.

They can't keep up with the new guard on Youtube. That Spawnwave guy alone covers more in a day than they do in a month.

They rested on their laurels for too long

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
That's some brilliant marketing and sales they have.

1.) Increase membership trial to 30 days to lure new fans old fans dopes to the site in effort to increase revenue one month after team member was fired.
2.) During trial period, produce no new enticing series or content including a rushed, half baked ~15 minute per video series about a game developed for Unix mainframes in 1980, which fails to consistently run on time due to (insert BS) and a broken install of KOTOR they openly will not commit to playing more than a few times.
3.) Hype their month overdue popular GOTY feature will be done live, with no unique features or bits, and new unproven production methods held together with duct tape.
4.) Announce during membership trial period second team member is leaving.
5.) Provide zero visibility to the future of the site or backfill of rapidly vacating positions.

I wonder how Red Vulture will take their monthly numbers Zoom meeting.

Red Vulture suits:
"Alright and how was your big December membership trial? We're thinking good things with the additional three weeks to demonstrate your value proposition."

Jeff G angrily sitting in his hovel of woes, Vinny is checked out, playing with action figures in the same clothes he's been wearing for 6 months, Brad is absent, waiting for the Zoom patch to release any day now:
"Well, good news and bad news. Good news, we had our largest monthly membership trial in 6 years bringing in 23% more trial users. Bad news, total paying memberships decreased by 19%. But good news! My double meatball sub and fries, 3 Monster energy drinks and pack of Camel Menthols just got here, and it came with a free frogurt. But it contains potassium benzoate. That's ba--"

Red Vulture suits:
*Turns laptop towards camera, shows white guy blinking gif* "This was where you peaked. Jeff, we need to have a frank conversation..."

Jan must be sad Ben is leaving. That's his only friend at the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.