• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014
Man, rough comments here. I liked Ben and even if you didn’t, him leaving can’t be good for the long term health of the organization. He actually played video games.

I don’t think I’ll renew my subscription for the first time in forever. This website has felt very low effort in the past couple of years. Even something as simple as adding chapters to their podcasts was never done. There’s no real pride in their work anymore and it shows. Sad because I have a lot of great memories with this show. I feel like I’m just paying attention out of habit rather than enjoyment.

They were doing this at one point with Apples Smart Podcast feature, I've not used an Apple device for a podcast for years so no idea if its still being done, I wanna say Alexis was the one doing that

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
May 31, 2018
Leeds, UK
What a trainwreck. Jan will probably jump ship too now the other young blood is gone. They absolutely need to downsize to one podcast with Jeff, Jeff, Brad, Vinny and Alex, boot Jason for being pure deadweight, and put Jan on full time production if he doesn't leave soon. I used to really love GB years ago and it's in such a miserable state right now. It's all or nothing as far as I'm concerned and honestly at this point I don't believe some of the older members even want to carry it on.

TheBigG753

Aug 4, 2011
It's all just another piece of the virtue signaling bullshit Giant Bomb has become.
Yup. Things will be much less obnoxious with Ben & Abby gone, which is still a good thing, but that's about all that changes. While their two most unlistenable voices are now gone, there's so much else that needs to be done to fix what's broken with Giant Bomb. So long the remaining staff stays focused on catering to their woke social media following above all else, the site will stay shit.

waylo

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
The only positive with Ben is he played games. That's quite literally it. Him constantly having to shoehorn hot takes in was obnoxious, he always acted like Jeff's annoying little brother seeking approval, and his voice is nails on a chalkboard.

Also, him leaving results in yet another feature of his that will not be finished. Has this motherfucker ever actually completed a game?

I'm interested to see if they actually look for new hires. If I were them, I'd continue to slim down. Lose Jason. Lose Jan. Lose Alex. The weeb, Pokemon, and Rock Band talk/content won't be missed. Then maybe hire one or two new people who play games and aren't obnoxious, woke 20 somethings.

AJUMP23

Sep 29, 2020
I just saw Jason in that video for the first time in a long time. Dude looks like he is struggling. He needs to get out.

Brute

Nov 25, 2020
Someone at the Reddits has made a post asking if GB should consider getting on a different guest every week to freshen things up.

The first reply actually made me LOL

My pet iguana would contribute more to their live streams than Jason does. He really needs dropping from the live shows because he offers nothing except quiet mumbling.

Jan doesn’t speak either unless it’s about Pokemon.

The site dying a slow death. Their content is of poor standard compared to other places. Even Dan’s Twitch streams are better than anything Giant Bomb have done in recent months.

It’s the beginning of the end I’m afraid and no guest is going to save it. Their production is of a poor quality, the content is overly cynical - do they even play video games anymore? Or are we still blaming COVID and Jeff having a kid for Giant Bomb not uploading fresh, original & new content?

What will their excuses be for cancelling GOTY next week? I’m placing my bet on “we couldn’t do it because of the inauguration.”

And I don’t think Jeff, Brad or Vinny even care anymore.

Even some of their diehard fans have had enough now. I’ve seen lots of these kinds of posts there of late.

Ben's Pack

Banned
Jan 7, 2021
Someone at the Reddits has made a post asking if GB should consider getting on a different guest every week to freshen things up.

Even some of their diehard fans have had enough now. I’ve seen lots of these kinds of posts there of late.
Admit it, that's you.

I won't tell uncle Gerstmann.

Last edited:

Brute

Nov 25, 2020
Admit it, that's you.

I won't tell uncle Gerstmann.
I’m banned for their sub, can’t post can only view.

Why? Because a few weeks ago I asked what’s going on with the site. That’s its, I wasn’t personal or negative - just critical.

Turnstyle

May 18, 2009

Jun 13, 2019
Bottom of the barrel.
Say what you want about Ben, but I respect the fact that he was one of the only people on the site who seemed to really care and had genuine enthusiasm for games.

I really didn't mind him.
I suppose the only other positive I can think of with Ben is that at least he could articulate reasons why he did or didn't enjoy something rather than the boilerplate Gerstmann response of "X thing sucks", "I don't like it" or "it's good"

illmatic19

Nov 14, 2010
For all of Ben and Abby's faults, Giant Bomb seems like a shitty depressing place for a new hire. Contrast working with Giant Bomb now to say starting at Gamespot in the early 00s.

Reactions: Big-ass Ramp

HotPocket69

Ubergender - contains all other genders
Oct 10, 2018
Mom’s basement with my tendies
For all of Ben and Abby's faults, Giant Bomb seems like a shitty depressing place for a new hire. Contrast working with Giant Bomb now to say starting at Gamespot in the early 00s.

That’s just gaming in general. Go back to older games from 15-20 years ago and they’re an incredibly refreshing palate cleanse due to zero identity politics or bullshit of the like being shoved in your face.

It’s why re4 is STILL the best game ever made.

Turnstyle

May 18, 2009
Say what you want about Ben, but I respect the fact that he was one of the only people on the site who seemed to really care and had genuine enthusiasm for games.

I really didn't mind him.
Lets face it, being a public facing 'personality' on the internet must suck, especially when you're not one of the big guys pulling in the mega bucks. You basically have your usual work responsibilities, coupled with constant 24 hour scrutiny from the public, waiting for you to trip up, or criticizing the way you look and sound. There's a lot of support from the GB community I'm sure, but I bet it's an easy trap to fall into for all the platitudes and positivity to become white noise, and to home in on the negativity.

From listening to the clip of Ben announcing his leaving, it seems that he has really struggled with that aspect of it, and I can't blame the guy for wanting to step back.

What I will say for Ben, is that he had a clear enthusiasm for games, and was always willing to try something new. Sure, a lot of his features fell flat, but hey, at least he tried to make some features! Also, I don't totally blame him for the Kingdom Hearts one going south. He had a rotating chair of GB staff each episode who looked like they were enduring torture. I mean, I guess maybe Kingdom Hearts games should be banned under the Geneva convention. Right next to mustard gas.

I'd also say the same for Dan, who was a content machine. And also, as divisive as she was, Abby did at least come up with new features too. Hey, you don't have to like them, but she did stretch her creativity beyond playing the drums or streaming Lode Runner on the C64.

In the past year, GB has lost it's 3 most creative members. I have no idea what GB is going to look like in 2021, seems like it's going to need a big shake up.

kamkamkam

Neo Member
Jan 11, 2021
That’s just gaming in general. Go back to older games from 15-20 years ago and they’re an incredibly refreshing palate cleanse due to zero identity politics or bullshit of the like being shoved in your face.

It’s why re4 is STILL the best game ever made.

Become a weeb. Japanese games typically don't have any social justice nonsense, even stuff coming out now.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: HotPocket69
Sep 7, 2011
Reactions: HotPocket69

Rikku-X

Aug 1, 2020
Jan is best because he likes Kingdom Hearts, and anyone who likes Kingdom Hearts is a good person.

TrafalgarLaw

Banned
Jun 5, 2014
Ben is an okay dude in my book. He can be annoying at times but he is usually well informed about games and made a concerted effort to play them. He actually did the bare minimum to qualify as a 'gamer'. But realize that the one actually playing games is getting rid of. If that doesn't spell DOOM I don't know what does.

Just to quickly recap: Dave left. Drew left. Dan left. Abby left. Ben left.
In return, we got a low-T Jason...and Jan...

This site is dying. I realized the moment Brad uttered the words: "I couldn't play any games due to the COVID pandemic". Did the virus fucking cripples his hands or something? Be honest and say that you're too depressed to play games, which is a whole 'nother story. Now they're rushing through games, barely touching upon side content, because they fucking realized playing their games is their job and they will lose out on subscribers if GOTY content is missing. GiantBomb has become the literal definition of half-assing it and making up excuses for it.

Last edited:

illmatic19

Nov 14, 2010
I bet Ben took a good hard look at someone like Brad and went "yep I don't want to be in that position in 10 years". Imagine if Giant Bomb goes down under, what can Brad realistically do? You gain very little hireable job skills outside of... editing a podcast. Brad is basically attached to the hip to Jeff and whatever he does at this point. Compare with Kessler (Ben's peer) who is on the upper management/executive track at SCEA. Heck even Nick Robinson has better prospects than Ben. Leaving Giant Bomb is honestly the right decision to make.

Last edited:

TheBigG753

Aug 4, 2011
I bet Ben took a good hard look at someone like Brad and went "yep I don't want to be in that position in 10 years". Imagine if Giant Bomb goes down under, what can Brad realistically do? You gain very little hireable job skills outside of... editing a podcast. Brad is basically attached to the hip to Jeff and whatever he does at this point. Compare with Kessler (Ben's peer) who is on the upper management/executive track at SCEA. Heck even Nick Robinson has better prospects than Ben. Leaving Giant Bomb is honestly the right decision to make.
He can start a Cameo-style service where people send him personalized messages, and he'll read them back with his trademark uptalk.

• LOL
Reactions: Mushoomba

HotPocket69

Ubergender - contains all other genders
Oct 10, 2018
Mom’s basement with my tendies

Or most of the crew from 1UP Yours and GFW Radio.

Shane Bettenhausen has a great gig at Sony. Luke Smith is the director of Destiny.

Jeff Green went to work for EA after the magazine shut down. Sean Molloy works for Blizzard. Shawn Elliot is directing the new BioShock.

Hell look at how successful Colin Moriarty had become post IGN. And on top of his patreon success he partially owns a small developer.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: DangerStepp

Ben's Pack

Banned
Jan 7, 2021

Shane Bettenhausen has a great gig at Sony. Luke Smith is the director of Destiny.

Jeff Green went to work for EA after the magazine shut down. Sean Molloy works for Blizzard. Shawn Elliot is directing the new BioShock.

Hell look at how successful Colin Moriarty had become post IGN. And on top of his patreon success he partially owns a small developer.
Jeff Green and Ryan Scott are consulting now too - https://min-max.net/

May 22, 2019
Damn. Looks like Ben's onlyfans really took off. Good for him. This past weeks content has been particularly incredible. However, I don't think it's appropriate to link it here. For those that are curious search "seventeeninchmonster" on OF.

• Triggered
Reactions: Maiden Voyage

Rikku-X

Aug 1, 2020

To be honest I would much rather work at Giant Bomb, then EA or Blizzard.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2014
Thinking that she's a comedian is the saddest part about her.

She does improv amateur improv. Which is one step below going to open mics. Truly the bottom of the fucking barrell.

It's the equivalent of being the person who cleans the tables in mcdonalds and calling yourself a chef.

Fuck I hate Abby. It's like someone took everything I hate about people and put it all together in one "quirky" package.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Dec 17, 2004
Apart from him "playing games" - which all of us do (admittedly not GB staff do). What about Ben did you like? I can't wrap my head around liking him and I feel like I have a pretty open mind.

GB died a while ago. Ben leaving might do some good to it, him staying would mean the same shit dynamic to continue. It probably won't get better but this is a lifeline in my opinion.
Good question, actually. I liked that he brought in new games to discuss and did give them air time. Crosscode, for example. He wasn't a negative or a non-entity. When you think about the dearth of new games discussed on GB, I'll take it. I also liked Abby on the show. She similarly brought in different gaming tastes and I appreciated that. I know people have their opinions and that's mine.

They were doing this at one point with Apples Smart Podcast feature, I've not used an Apple device for a podcast for years so no idea if its still being done, I wanna say Alexis was the one doing that
Man, what a shame, huh? GB has ignored something as simple as podcast chapters for way too long. It's simple, not difficult to implement, and makes for a better experience for their audience. Telling. I can think of fewer small organizations that should have thrived during the pandemic. There's nothing stopping GB from going fully virtual, on top of video games being a very popular hobby during the pandemic. And yet somehow GB got worse. "Low effort" is a very accurate term for the site these days. I'm glad I popped in here because I waned off of their podcast about a year ago. I thought it was just me but it's comforting to see others see the drop in effort and quality, too, since I thought I lost interest in gaming (I didn't. In fact, it's renewed).

If the staff has personal reasons for the lessened quality of the site, I totally appreciate that. But GB should also appreciate that I'm a premium subscriber because I enjoy their content and when I don't enjoy it anymore, I'm free to unsubscribe, express my dissatisfaction, and not consume their content anymore. I still like the Beastcast, as I find Jeff Bakalar to be hilarious, and the Hotspot has been enjoyable, too. The Bombcast has been an easy skip for the past two years. The site, well... If you were new to the website, you'd think it was basically dead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.