• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Calvin

Aug 23, 2017
Mail order bride maybe = gold digger .......... yeah

Evil Calvin

Aug 23, 2017
Losing three people from an eight person team in the space of a year isn't a sign of a healthy department or business. The timing doesn't line up with the people who were laid off by Red Ventures so I'm kind of curious as to whether this is a second round starting or if he has something else lined up.
Three? Abby........Ben.........who is the third? I must be blanking out!

Evil Calvin

Aug 23, 2017
The gifts of the acquisition continue

Red ventures:
I am a bit behind on podcasts. I was listening to the recent Beastcast and they were very aggressive and critical of the changeover from CBS to RV. Not only bashing CBS but seemed to be not to thrilled with RV either. I could be wrong but being critical of your new site owner probably isn't the way to go. CBS....ok...but not RV. Maybe the whole thing is going down. Based on what a poster above mentioned about the recent Bombcast, Jeff mentioning that he hopes nothing happens in the next week to derail the GOTY and Brad giving him a serious look. Maybe they are shutting down and Brad was caught off guard that Jeff alluded to something happening. I haven't seen the clip but it sounds like it's getting ready to blow up.....like a giant bomb. Ha ha ha.. ok no.

Rikku-X

Aug 1, 2020
I am a bit behind on podcasts. I was listening to the recent Beastcast and they were very aggressive and critical of the changeover from CBS to RV. Not only bashing CBS but seemed to be not to thrilled with RV either. I could be wrong but being critical of your new site owner probably isn't the way to go. CBS....ok...but not RV. Maybe the whole thing is going down. Based on what a poster above mentioned about the recent Bombcast, Jeff mentioning that he hopes nothing happens in the next week to derail the GOTY and Brad giving him a serious look. Maybe they are shutting down and Brad was caught off guard that Jeff alluded to something happening. I haven't seen the clip but it sounds like it's getting ready to blow up.....like a giant bomb. Ha ha ha.. ok no.
Do you have a timestamp to that please?

Here

Feb 22, 2020

The "hope nothing happens" thing is probably about the inauguration, not RV's meddling.

Evil Calvin

Aug 23, 2017
To be fair, aside from Super Meat Boy Forever, there's not been much released for about a month, I'm surprised Among Us hasn't been covered at all as well
There are still dozens of games over the last few months that they could go and do a Quick Look on. Even if the game is a few months old then I think it would be welcomed.

I will say that at least Ben played a variety of games and genuinely had a passion for them. His delivery, personality and humor may not have been the best but at least he cared somewhat.

HoodWinked

Jun 30, 2010
Earth

Jeff cares fuck all about the site, as someone else mentioned he meant political crap causing them to hide under their covers for another week like a groundhog seeing its own shadow.

as for the site, Jeff's apathy and indecision makes the site unlikely to close anytime soon but rather just a slow and agonizing death. But the site isn't owned by Jeff anyways and still has subscription revenue and is a brand so there's no business justification for RV to close it. They'd sell it off or something with or without Jeff.

Reactions: Rebo

Ben's Pack

Banned
Jan 7, 2021
"worst fit possible"..............no, that would be Abby.
While you're not wrong, because she became insufferable, at the beginning Abby was okay. I really liked her, actually.

She was less in-your-face, less confident, less inclined to be a part of everything.

She never had the best knowledge, but she seemed to know that at first, and kinda stayed in the background. It was nice to have a female voice and some of her casual stuff made good content (Thirteen Deadly Sims is probably her best accomplishment).

Slowly she began to get more confident, more vocal, and that's where things went downhill for her.

Ben? He's always been an annoying, disgusting cunt, despite his love/knowledge of games.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019
So the guy who sounded like he was constantly choking on his tongue is finally leaving? Did he have some kind of meltdown? I let my premium membership lapse over a year ago and never looked back as it sounds like things have gotten worse. Jeff G has always been a tantrum-throwing manchild that will continue talking over anybody no matter what, until he finished his thought. He's only become more miserable since having a kid, combined with Covid and California being on fire.. while at the same time trying his hardest to hide the fact that he's going bald. It's pretty clear that Ryan Davis was the brains of the whole thing when they made the deal with CBS. Jan is, for some reason, only interested in games that target 12 year olds. He adds nothing. Jason will play any piece of shit that Capcom releases and has nothing interesting to say, really. Brad was my favorite back from Gamespot days, but even now all he does is sound tired and out of touch regarding new games or will sometimes say "oh, that's right" when something old is brought up. Matt Rorie's voice is annoying as fuck and just sounds like a mansplaining asshole anytime he opens his mouth. I haven't listened to Bombcast more than a handful of times since Covid happened, but with even more departures after dumbass Dan left, it's obvious the site is a fast sinking ship.

East is.. uh.. pinball, hockey and in general more guys that like the sound of their voice.

seniorbanana80

Neo Member
Sep 9, 2020
So the guy who sounded like he was constantly choking on his tongue is finally leaving? Did he have some kind of meltdown? I let my premium membership lapse over a year ago and never looked back as it sounds like things have gotten worse. Jeff G has always been a tantrum-throwing manchild that will continue talking over anybody no matter what, until he finished his thought. He's only become more miserable since having a kid, combined with Covid and California being on fire.. while at the same time trying his hardest to hide the fact that he's going bald. It's pretty clear that Ryan Davis was the brains of the whole thing when they made the deal with CBS. Jan is, for some reason, only interested in games that target 12 year olds. He adds nothing. Jason will play any piece of shit that Capcom releases and has nothing interesting to say, really. Brad was my favorite back from Gamespot days, but even now all he does is sound tired and out of touch regarding new games or will sometimes say "oh, that's right" when something old is brought up. Matt Rorie's voice is annoying as fuck and just sounds like a mansplaining asshole anytime he opens his mouth. I haven't listened to Bombcast more than a handful of times since Covid happened, but with even more departures after dumbass Dan left, it's obvious the site is a fast sinking ship.

East is.. uh.. pinball, hockey and in general more guys that like the sound of their voice.
I'd say that's a bit strong, I still like the folks at GB, even if I'm on the other side of the political spectrum, I wish they didn't feel the need to push leftest politics all the time, and they're insane overreacting on Covid, We're supposed to be talking about video games, It's supposed to be fun. :)

Small Change

Jul 17, 2020
Now that I've heard the podcast at least we can say Ben's farewell is on-brand as it's whiny as fuck. He also posted on Twittter that he's "done with having takes" as if he was undertaking some noble duty by Tweeting out snarky opinions that are held by almost everyone in the gaming media. I get that being a media personality must be jarring if you aren't fully prepared for it but if this guy can't take the tiny amount of criticism that gets through from the GB sycophants then he's lucky he wasn't exposed to an audience that's allowed to have negative opinions of the media they consume.

Last edited:

Inviusx

Jan 4, 2016
In the entire time of his tenure at giant bomb. What has jason brought to the table? Diabetes??

The Soul Calibre tournament he and Dan had where Dan mopped the floor with him and he was salty as fuck because he's the self proclaimed "fighting game guy" on staff.

His qualifications were playing a lot of fighting games terribly and watching evo once a year.

Last edited:

TheBigG753

Aug 4, 2011
In the entire time of his tenure at giant bomb. What has jason brought to the table? Diabetes??
I thought Jason was a fairly underrated part of Giant Bomb up until a few years ago. He was playing games (generally niche Japanese titles) that no one else on the site was playing, and I thought that kept the Bombcast interesting during a stretch where Jeff and Brad kept talking about CoD and Destiny ad nauseam.

Then Ben joined and he plays a lot of those same games, and everyone started playing Monster Hunter, and I guess Jason lost that unique voice. Jason kinda just stopped contributing to discussions, even after Jan joined on as a producer.

Reactions: Imagine Wagons

Brute

Nov 25, 2020
I’m sure the mentalists at Era are the same cult of people who post on the GB Reddit.

I find is baffling and even quite scary how attached to Jeff and his cronies some of these people are. I wouldn’t question it if their fan service was up to par or that Jeff spent his spare time replying to fans etc. But the Giant Bomb crew don’t interact with the fanbase in any way apart from Rorie who has personally emailed me a few times in the past when I’ve had issues with the GB app on Xbox.

The Giant Bomb fans are in for a rude awakening when Brad, Jeff and the like disappear. Can you imagine Jeff even putting out a heartfelt message “Thanks for the support over the years - we appreciate it” ?

I can’t.

Small Change

Jul 17, 2020
I’m sure the mentalists at Era are the same cult of people who post on the GB Reddit.

I find is baffling and even quite scary how attached to Jeff and his cronies some of these people are. I wouldn’t question it if their fan service was up to par or that Jeff spent his spare time replying to fans etc. But the Giant Bomb crew don’t interact with the fanbase in any way apart from Rorie who has personally emailed me a few times in the past when I’ve had issues with the GB app on Xbox.

The Giant Bomb fans are in for a rude awakening when Brad, Jeff and the like disappear. Can you imagine Jeff even putting out a heartfelt message “Thanks for the support over the years - we appreciate it” ?

I can’t.
Reading through and the posters on the RE thread are fragile and weird even by the standards of that insane asylum, I recognise a lot of the names from skimming the various CDPR purge threads on Ree too. I'm not shocked at all that they have yet another "no criticism" ever community over there since Resetera and the recent Giantbomb audience must have a huge amount of overlap. Hell, the vast majority of the staff would probably be welcomed as valuable posters since they have the same lockstep opinions as the rest of the posters on the site do.

Jun 2, 2020
The last cast this guy talks about how animal crossing has been the seasonal change he needed in a time where he has no control of his life. Geesus dude. Take control of your life and do something. That's dark and sad.
I made it this far and turned it off. Who ever said Ben was the annoying lil bro, kinda nailed it on the head. This was the most pathetic thing ive heard someone say in a while! And to boot, he didnt even like the game that much!!

Ben's Pack

Banned
Jan 7, 2021
I made it this far and turned it off. Who ever said Ben was the annoying lil bro, kinda nailed it on the head. This was the most pathetic thing ive heard someone say in a while! And to boot, he didnt even like the game that much!!
But his PARTNER does and when THEY want to play it would you mess with THIS?

I'd rather fight the local army boys down my boozer than that thing.

Last edited:

Brute

Nov 25, 2020
Hey each to their own. No need shit on peoples loved ones. Im here strictly to shit on the staff.
To be completely honest I agree with this and shouldn’t have remarked on Pack’s, erm, partner’s photo (if that actually is her? Or are ya’ll messing with me?)

we shouldn’t be remarking on how anyone looks actually - it’s unsavoury.

May 8, 2019
So how did Ben end up getting the job at GB in the first place. I think I remember him mention that he was also from Jeff G's hometown of Petaluma a couple times.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Jan 26, 2016
I feel like i am the only one left that likes GB lol.

Ben leaving I am indifferent about. I dont think he meshed well for what I like about GB.

That being said I am not going to try and claim GB is the same as it used to be. It definitely is a lot more subdue and frankly less entertaining but I still value their opinions and quick looks.

I think now is the time to start doing work to align the focus of what GB is because it doesnt feel like there is focus at this point. The only thing that feels static is their podcasts which I still think is their best content by far.

Trumpets

Dec 5, 2008
England
I had to laught at Brad's excuse for not playing much FFVII Remake. Apparently he 'wasn't able to devote time to it' because it was a 'casualty of the pandemic'.

Mate, you own a PS4, you haven't left your house for nine months and it's literally your job to play video games.

Last edited:

HoleinOne

Nov 22, 2018
I had to laught at Brad's excuse for not playing much FFVII Remake. Apparently he 'wasn't able to devote time to it' because it was a 'casualty of the pandemic'.

Mate, you own a PS4, you haven't left your house for nine months and it's literally your job to play video games.

Yeah, but he didn't want to. Why are you being so shitty? Yikes.

:messenger_unamused:

Status
Not open for further replies.