• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

brap

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I don't even care if people signed up here just to talk about GB. It's the only place you really can freely. But when you come on here to whine, antagonize people, and get all upset when somebody criticizes Abby of all people you can fuck off. I wonder if he's thinking about licking Abby's ass or thinking about us tugging on our dicks right now... 🤔

SpiceRacz

Feb 27, 2017
Hazuki Dojo
Dude, you are defending people who are shitting on people based on how they look (you and others).

KingMoron
SpiceRacz
Scopa
brap
EllrickOA

How fucking hideous must you be for you to be shitting on people based on their looks? I can barely imagine.
When did I shit on Abby's looks?

Drunkenski

Formerly 'GoingToCancelGB'
Nov 19, 2019
Are you all still at it?

I finally finished one of my backlog games, FFIV in oh, around 28 hours completing side quests and faffing about . I've played it to about 90% completion a dozen times since its US release in '91. Just 20 minutes ago did I complete it for the first time. Cool story! Space whale! Next up, another 3 decades of games. And here we are complaining about what?

Go tug your balls, boys. You all are such cases I ran a charity 15k just to raise awareness. Get over it. Christ.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Are you all still at it?

I finally finished one of my backlog games, FFIV in oh, around 28 hours completing side quests and faffing about . I've played it to about 90% completion a dozen times since its US release in '91. Just 20 minutes ago did I complete it for the first time. Cool story! Space whale! Next up, another 3 decades of games. And here we are complaining about what?
Abby popped by. Say hi.

Reactions: Drunkenski

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Are you all still at it?

Go tug your balls, boys. You all are such cases I ran a charity 15k just to raise awareness. Get over it. Christ.
For anyone that cares, I used the Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition "hack" since my original FF cart was fried by a large magnet. It's not a perfect mod, but it does restore a large amount of of translation and text errors, offers a very nice "dash" button, and overall feels more sincere to the original design. It's largely built upon other works, so decide what you want, I chose this. Whatever.

Reactions: SpiceRacz

Ogrebushi

Neo Member
Jun 3, 2019
For anyone that cares, I used the Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition "hack" since my original FF cart was fried by a large magnet. It's not a perfect mod, but it does restore a large amount of of translation and text errors, offers a very nice "dash" button, and overall feels more sincere to the original design. It's largely built upon other works, so decide what you want, I chose this. Whatever.

That makes me wish i still had my old mid/late 90's era FFV fan translation rom .
Tried playing the steam version but both looks weird, and my mental memory of FFV is with the weird janky translation (and occational random nobody npc with "translate later" txt)

Dross1984

Neo Member
Jan 4, 2020
I still have a few days left on my one month membership I got to watch the rest of Vinnyvania, so I decided to try to watch the GTFO stream. It's not bad, other than Jeff looking completely fucking miserable.

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
I remember when Dan left for the east coast he asked Jeff if he could take the Demo Derby feature there and Jeff said no. Glad to see you're making use of it Jeff. Don't work too hard.
God forbid there is some content on a content driven website. If GB were an animal, it would be the second laziest sloth after spoony.

Ramagamma

Neo Member
Mar 22, 2017
Lmao, people still pay for his vacations? xD
1370 people. It's been almost 3 years to the day since it launched funnily enough. I really enjoyed his Chernobyl video but his output since has been dire.

Do people not go over their expenses and cut back on things that they don't need anymore? Send me some fucking money and I'll look up images of foreign cities on google images and send them to you.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
At least the Pro Skater series is back today, I enjoyed the previous ones
Yeah, that will be nice, but I can't help but think it'll be forgotten until about April when they have another sale and then just so happen to do another episode to say "Look at all the content we have!"

Reactions: BibleBLACKED

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
That makes me wish i still had my old mid/late 90's era FFV fan translation rom .
Tried playing the steam version but both looks weird, and my mental memory of FFV is with the weird janky translation (and occational random nobody npc with "translate later" txt)
That's rad. I bet you could still find it somewhere, if you dig deep enough.

Makes me wish that GB and Drew had followed up on his first time playing of FFVI (the best FF, for the record). Brads excitement alone would have made for a fantastic Endurance Run or segment of some sort. Instead we got 3000 hours of Metal Gear...

And to think, I've gotten to Kefka's tower another dozen times, but don't finish the game. Same with Chrono Trigger. I think I have an issue with not wanting a great thing to end so I can re-experience it over and over. Now where did I put my pills...

Reactions: SpiceRacz

SpiceRacz

Feb 27, 2017
Hazuki Dojo
That's rad. I bet you could still find it somewhere, if you dig deep enough.

Makes me wish that GB and Drew had followed up on his first time playing of FFVI (the best FF, for the record). Brads excitement alone would have made for a fantastic Endurance Run or segment of some sort. Instead we got 3000 hours of Metal Gear...

And to think, I've gotten to Kefka's tower another dozen times, but don't finish the game. Same with Chrono Trigger. I think I have an issue with not wanting a great thing to end so I can re-experience it over and over. Now where did I put my pills...
You really oughta finish Chrono Trigger. It's probably the most replayable RPG from that era. I think it's only about 15-20 hours too.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
How the fuck does one not finish Chrono Trigger?

It’s only the greatest RPG of all time
You really oughta finish Chrono Trigger. It's probably the most replayable RPG from that era. I think it's only about 15-20 hours too.
Right? I played it to the exact same point, about 2-3 hours out of completion, for the millionth time only a few months ago. I'm telling you, it's like my white whale. I don't want the adventure to end it's so great. Send help, lock me in my home, duct tape me to a chair and force me to finish it. Actually, that sounds kind of kinky. I haven't even gone down the path of defeating Lavos at numerous time periods. Damn, it's a great game and one that I have not spoiled the ending for in 25 years.

And Ice sword double tech with Crono and Marle is one of the most bad ass attacks put in a game.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Riveting conversation from Ben on the Pro Skater stream.

"Ben: Have you ever been on a cruise?
Jeff: No
Ben: Me either."

Too bad Brad is oh so busy to be at work on a Thursday, you know with all that work he has to do so he can't be on stream and actually make the conversations enjoyable.

What possible excuse could they have for not having Brad on? Too busy writing a review? Too busy editing the podcast? Too busy doing a QL?
Also, Jeff stating that he went searching for games to play in his garage today just shows how much of a last minute thing this whole thing is. ZERO prep. What a bunch of lazy people. I honestly don't think I've ever seen people be this absolutely lazy ever in my entire life.

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Right? I played it to the exact same point, about 2-3 hours out of completion, for the millionth time only a few months ago. I'm telling you, it's like my white whale. I don't want the adventure to end it's so great. Send help, lock me in my home, duct tape me to a chair and force me to finish it. Actually, that sounds kind of kinky. I haven't even gone down the path of defeating Lavos at numerous time periods. Damn, it's a great game and one that I have not spoiled the ending for in 25 years.

And Ice sword double tech with Crono and Marle is one of the most bad ass attacks put in a game.
Luminaire, my friend

It’s longer than 20 hours if you really do all you can. The side quests that open up towards the end are all fantastic. It was originally advertised as an 80 hour experience!

Id give my right nut to play that for the first time again. 1996, I’ll never forget you.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind

Too bad Brad is oh so busy to be at work on a Thursday, you know with all that work he has to do so he can't be on stream and actually make the conversations enjoyable.

What possible excuse could they have for not having Brad on? Too busy writing a review? Too busy editing the podcast? Too busy doing a QL?
Also, Jeff stating that he went searching for games to play in his garage today just shows how much of a last minute thing this whole thing is. ZERO prep. What a bunch of lazy people. I honestly don't think I've ever seen people be this absolutely lazy ever in my entire life.
I don’t disagree with you, but I think they said he was “on assignment” because he was absent on the podcast, too.

Do they still send people to devs to check out games early? I have no idea, I really only pay attention to the podcasts.

He probably pulled a Vinny and stayed home to play games.

Id give my right nut to play that for the first time again. 1996, I’ll never forget you.
I played it through for the first time a couple of years ago. Pretty, pretty good. I think a bit of the wow factor wasn’t there that would have been if I had played it back in the day, but it was still amazing.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I don’t disagree with you, but I think they said he was “on assignment” because he was absent on the podcast, too.

Do they still send people to devs to check out games early? I have no idea, I really only pay attention to the podcasts.

He probably pulled a Vinny and stayed home to play games.
Ah ok. The "on assignment" thing is so stupid. They use it as a catch all joke and just adds to their weirdo super secret society of "we can't tell anyone anything, but let's make fun of how the video game industry used to be all secret". On assignment can mean, They are sick, or in the hospital, or recovering from surgery or totally fine and just didn't really feel like coming in today, because work is so tough and hard we need multiple mental health days a week.

Just say, "he's off this week". It makes it easier so people don't have to guess and speculate anytime someone doesn't show up for something. But there is no accountability so no one can track how much they actually don't work.

And yeah, they still do actually go send people out to devs, but it's very very very rare. Last year they did the Apex Legends thing before that got announced, but that was it and that was in February.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Luminaire, my friend

It’s longer than 20 hours if you really do all you can. The side quests that open up towards the end are all fantastic. It was originally advertised as an 80 hour experience!

You're absolutely correct, on all fronts. I'll give my left nut to do it all over again, and I haven't even completed it, which is why I still have two in the bag. However, while Luminaire is a mighty force, leaping into the air to sledgehammer sword blast a turd encased in ice is alright in my book also.

The depth and layers of side quests, letting sealed chest items "ripen" over time, potentially completing the game a dozen hours prior to the true ending, bringing "person" back to life. Man, it's an experience that rivals novels and modern screen media.

Hell, this nerding out may be enough to push me back into actually completing it... But then what do I have to look forward to? Oh, Suikoden 1-2 I never finished, problem solved.

• Love
Reactions: VedderOA

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Ah ok. The "on assignment" thing is so stupid. They use it as a catch all joke and just adds to their weirdo super secret society of "we can't tell anyone anything, but let's make fun of how the video game industry used to be all secret". On assignment can mean, They are sick, or in the hospital, or recovering from surgery or totally fine and just didn't really feel like coming in today, because work is so tough and hard we need multiple mental health days a week.

Just say, "he's off this week". It makes it easier so people don't have to guess and speculate anytime someone doesn't show up for something. But there is no accountability so no one can track how much they actually don't work.

And yeah, they still do actually go send people out to devs, but it's very very very rare. Last year they did the Apex Legends thing before that got announced, but that was it and that was in February.
Brad also has health issues, which to his credit (and rightfully so) has kept private for the most part. Never do I wish ill upon any other, even if I disagree with their performance or contribution to that which I pay for. Ok, maybe after a couple of beers I would.

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014

Isn't Brad on holiday? I'm sure Jeff mentioned that he took a week off before and then a few after the Xmas period on the last bombcast

Last edited:

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
You're absolutely correct, on all fronts. I'll give my left nut to do it all over again, and I haven't even completed it, which is why I still have two in the bag. However, while Luminaire is a mighty force, leaping into the air to sledgehammer sword blast a turd encased in ice is alright in my book also.

The depth and layers of side quests, letting sealed chest items "ripen" over time, potentially completing the game a dozen hours prior to the true ending, bringing "person" back to life. Man, it's an experience that rivals novels and modern screen media.

Hell, this nerding out may be enough to push me back into actually completing it... But then what do I have to look forward to? Oh, Suikoden 1-2 I never finished, problem solved.
Have you played any of the Phantasy Stars?

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Have you played any of the Phantasy Stars?
It's been decades, but I recall them being exceptional, and challenging (then at least). I really enjoyed the quasi scifi/fantasy mash up. Funny enough, I was going to mention them in my prior post, but Suikoden took priority for some reason. And no, never finished them either, I'm a monster I know!

Is it fair to say that starting with Phantasy Star 1 is logical and progressing from there? I don't know if they have any significant tie in or relevance to one another.

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
It's been decades, but I recall them being exceptional, and challenging (then at least). I really enjoyed the quasi scifi/fantasy mash up. Funny enough, I was going to mention them in my prior post, but Suikoden took priority for some reason. And no, never finished them either, I'm a monster I know!

Is it fair to say that starting with Phantasy Star 1 is logical and progressing from there? I don't know if they have any significant tie in or relevance to one another.
I mean, if you’re one of those types of players that feel that you NEED to play an entire series in order for the “true” experience, knock yourself out. I always felt 2 and 4 were the most important and best entries. 3 is the most divisive. 1 is good, albeit a bit hard to return to for me personally.

4 is fucking awesome though. It’s arguably the best Genesis JRPG and definitely one of the best from the 16 bit era.

Plus the title screen music is badass and rules

Last edited:

pochepiller2

Aug 4, 2019
I mean, if you’re one of those types of players that feel that you NEED to play an entire series in order for the “true” experience, knock yourself out. I always felt 2 and 4 were the most important and best entries. 3 is the most divisive. 1 is good, albeit a bit hard to return to for me personally.

4 is fucking awesome though. It’s arguably the best Genesis JRPG and definitely one of the best from the 16 bit era.

The switch sega age version is really good with less grind!

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019

Fair enough. I'm not one of those folk, but better to ask questions now than regret later. Thanks for the info! Also anyone that doesn't appreciate the Yamaha sound chip in the Mega/Genesis could perhaps use some professional help. That "tang" and crushing tinnitus inducing high end is nothing short of pure 90's greatness.

Dale-Gribble-

Jan 9, 2015
I like how Dan also stated about Conan knowing when not to beat a dead bit into the ground. Giant Bomb has the exact opposite issue though. They refuse to do ANYTHING. Jeff said as much back when Danny interviewed him for the 10 year thing on the NoClip podcast. Jeff said they don't do things for fear of it becoming stale.

Fear is holding them back so much. The staples of the podcast and UPF don't need to be that big of a deal if they had other things to show for it too. Dan keeps referring back to the Roller Coaster video and Burgle and Sunshine and Mario Party.... like sure, those were great (except burgle, that can die in a fire) but the coaster video was back in 2014 and it's the thing everyone brings up.

There are so many ideas they could do, but refuse to because of "we don't want it to get stale". How can it get stale if you don't even do it in the first place? Giant Bomb's motto: Trying is the first step towards failure.
I believe those videos were talked about by Dan because they were the GB features that he came up with.
The roller coaster one in particular, at least according to what he said on the minmax interview, is the type of content he really wanted to do, but wasn't able to.
On Dan's last beastcast he talked about getting in contact with the empire state building to do a feature there. It seems like he was trying to get the ball rolling
on multiple out of the office features, but they were deemed to be not feasible to scheduling. Which is funny considering they have two offices, it seems like they
could have one office back at base doing their regular thing, and one office shooting fun stuff on location. All while still having a steady flow of their regular one
or two videos a day.

I don’t cry a river on a video game podcast about seeing the oppression boogeyman around every corner.

No, we wouldn’t get along. She’d have a meltdown after I don’t go all fedora and agree with the shit she dribbles.
The joke was, you cry about the person who is crying, but as I said, it was a joke.

Billethebobbet

Neo Member
Jan 2, 2020

He's on holiday, as per the Bombcast.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
I know a lot of the rhetoric and bashing of GB is based around "my god they are so lazy". Looking at their output, and the very nature of the site, the crew itself. One questions what the hell do they actually do all day? Yes, I've had a 10+ year career in "business", and have had corporate takeovers more than four times. I know meetings pop up that are worthless and time sucking. Yet as a content and personality driven product (don't let that escape you, they are a product under CBSi), why is their primary function failing so much?

What DO they actually do or produce? At my last job, without telling anything personal, it was 9 hours on of coding and project management, nonstop. I got shit done. What the hell are these guys doing? I can slap a camcorder in my face while I play a JRPG talking about it like any other YouStreamer. Oh, corporate wants to talk about financials, quarter goals, output, fine! At worst that's an hour of your time. Oops, got a call from 'insert department', ok 30 minutes. Has no one worked an office job? Fuck me, you find the time to do the work you have in front of you, period. They all need a business consultant manager, and I will gladly go kick them in the crotch to keep the business alive.

Yes, GB has a fantastic wiki - thanks to followers, not staff, entirely. Yes GB has typical job related stress, and must endure people like myself, and various others criticism. Boohoo, sorry but anyone in any industry over 10 years gets a lashing once in a while. Deal with it and improve your product and don't cry about it.

I say this out of complete respect and adoration for the people at GB, those in front of the cameras, the IT staff who work for Gamespot as well, the multi purpose, wearer of many hats (Rorey, my man). It takes a lot to pull off what they do. I respect that, but it's ultimately just a job, and they all are kind of failing at it... The personality portion is the toughest part, the back end stuff? Done in a blink of the eye if you don't have a retard at the helm. Oops, can't say that anymore either. I need a 2020 MW dictionary. Not Merriam Webster, rather Millennial Warrior to sort out how terrible a person I am.

Yet look what they accomplished with little to none in a brick layered basement 10 -15 years ago. Excitement, comradery of crew, genuine thrill and enthusiasm. Fucking putting a cake in a toilet and lighting a cash pile on fire. A buck thirty camera!

Has time truly put what was once such a good thing, to bed eternally? Tell you what, it's time to put together a mail bag to end all mail bags. We need a half pound of coke, as much adderal as you can find, a grab bag of skittle like pills, uppers downers whatever, and maybe some special K for the less desirable crew. Make GB FUN again.

Fucking fuck, I hate seeing something, someone, die.

Anyway, that's my rant, back to being a geek. Sorry if you actually read any of that.

Last edited:

O-N-E

Jul 11, 2018
You can't stop me.

And of course.... She continues to delete tweets that fail to earn her woke points. She's so queer you guys, can't you see? Not a desperate straight girl trying to lean into a persona that seems believable.

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Can someone give me a rundown of what happened here? Fudge tagged me yesterday but I don’t really get what’s going on. Some Resetera virgin hating on Incel Kr3w?