• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

Spring of Life

Formerly 'Loserwhosbetteroffdead'
Jul 7, 2019
I was watching a Playdate from last June recently here Abby was playing The Outer Wilds, because I'm playing some of it myself recently, and I just wanted to see how they covered it. Holy shit, I don't remember if I had watched it before, but Alex sucks Abby's dick so much in the video. Always complimenting her, always telling her she's doing well in the game, and whatever she wants to do is the right way to do it. I know that game is kind of a explore your own pace thing, but it just sounded so pandering. Vinny does it too, but there's such an ass kissing tone in Alex's voice the whole video that I had to stop watching.

On another topic, I was thinking that Dan may be moving on to something else he loves, but it is crazy that a guy who spent his whole life wanting to get into game journalism, left it for good. It's like Giant Bomb killed his passion for it, and in order to continuing enjoying video games, he had to leave. I know this is all speculation on my part, but that's really what it feels like from the outside. Giant Bomb was suffocating him, because even though he said in an interview recently that he did what he wanted to do, that's not really possible, because there is so much more he could have done, but Giant Bomb basically beat him into submission. He obviously had crazy ideas, like we saw with the Roller-coaster video, and other series he encouraged...but I have to imagine that no one else there had his enthusiasm to even try to do anything more. Too much work they probably always told him, and it's not like any other media outlets are any better, so he had to change it up to maintain any enthusiasm for gaming. I know if I was around people like Abby and Alex every day, I'd go insane and start to hate gaming.

CharlieTuna

Neo Member
Nov 21, 2019
Dan leaving just reeks of mismanagement tbh. You can't keep happy your most productive employee that he leaves to go be a podcast producer for a wrestling thing that might not exist in a year? That's just bad.
Dan loved his job, he said so numerous times, and even so he felt so unmotivated, so bored by the current day-to-day stuff that he gave up and left the industry that he loved for so long? Awful stuff.

Dale-Gribble-

Jan 9, 2015
Dan leaving just reeks of mismanagement tbh. You can't keep happy your most productive employee that he leaves to go be a podcast producer for a wrestling thing that might not exist in a year? That's just bad.
Dan loved his job, he said so numerous times, and even so he felt so unmotivated, so bored by the current day-to-day stuff that he gave up and left the industry that he loved for so long? Awful stuff.
Wait, you think Giant Bomb is going to outlast the WWE? You must be smoking or drinking some really good shit.
If you're just talking about the podcast division or something I think even that will last, at least in some capacity.
And the mismanagement, we know that's happening at least a little, but that doesn't mean Dan was pushed out
the door due to it. There are so many possible factors for him to leave, we will never know the "true" reasoning.

Drunkenski

Formerly 'GoingToCancelGB'
Nov 19, 2019
Having just watched Tron Legacy again, in its proper form - on a 65" plasma, proper black levels, at 23.976fps (24p) in 3D (fuck you if you don't enjoy it), DTS-MA audio with a proper high-er end 5.1 sound system (7.1 etc can eat my butt) is fantastic. It's an A/V masterpiece, even if the story falls a little short. Yes, proper is the way. So say we all.

I'll agree with Mr Jeff G - it's a wonderful movie. Dare I say the best video game movie, outside of The Wizard, obviously.

Hot babes, hot dudes, hot cgi the dude, hot Daft Punk. I mean the list goes on. Get out of town if you don't respect it in some fashion.

Ten years ago the movie came out, still beats the hell out of recent vidjya game movies, and it isn't even one, really.

Woo

Last edited:

CharlieTuna

Neo Member
Nov 21, 2019
Wait, you think Giant Bomb is going to outlast the WWE? You must be smoking or drinking some really good shit.
If you're just talking about the podcast division or something I think even that will last, at least in some capacity.
And the mismanagement, we know that's happening at least a little, but that doesn't mean Dan was pushed out
the door due to it. There are so many possible factors for him to leave, we will never know the "true" reasoning.
No, I was talking about WWE as a whole, just the podcast initiative or whatever it is called.
And I agree, mismanagement probably wasn't the sole reason, but GB's current stale content and approach to covering games very likely played a part in Dan's decision.

May 22, 2019
You guys are conspiracy nut jobs.

If you followed Dan at all you'd know that a dream job of his would be to work in the WWE. Ever since a child he's been obsessed with wrestling. Getting your foot in the door to the biggest wrestling promotion and one you religiously watched growing up is a no brainer for Dan. He's an ambitious guy, he'll work his way up.

Just be happy for the guy and stop being weird.

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
Been listening to a shit ton of old episodes circa late 2011: Saints Row The Third, Skyrim, Skyward Snored, Uncharted 3. Really good, fun discussion while I’ve been re-running through the Mass Effect trilogy.

Also it made me buy Saints Row 3.

Reactions: DangerStepp

Hilluminati

Neo Member
Jan 6, 2020
I love puzzles games and lost all interest in the Outer Wilds. The ship damage and time mechanic made it unbearable for me after about an hour.
This comment makes me so sad. Just don't crash your ship. This is a game that everyone, especially puzzle lovers, need to play. There is just too much to praise here. Give it one more hour and I'm sure you'll get sucked it.

• Love
Reactions: Drunkenski

eot

Apr 13, 2012
You guys are conspiracy nut jobs.

If you followed Dan at all you'd know that a dream job of his would be to work in the WWE. Ever since a child he's been obsessed with wrestling. Getting your foot in the door to the biggest wrestling promotion and one you religiously watched growing up is a no brainer for Dan. He's an ambitious guy, he'll work his way up.

Just be happy for the guy and stop being weird.
Good catch, didn't know he was a wrestling fan :lollipop_trophy:

Maiden Voyage

Sep 5, 2014
USA
This comment makes me so sad. Just don't crash your ship. This is a game that everyone, especially puzzle lovers, need to play. There is just too much to praise here. Give it one more hour and I'm sure you'll get sucked it.
I only crashed it once, upon my first landing. Even after that everything else about it was just boring and uninteresting. I don't know what the first planet I landed on was. It gave me a clue to go to another planet and that's when I lost interest. I don't want to have to play follow the clue from place to place while needing to start back at the main planet every 20 mins.

Last edited:

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
I only crashed it once, upon my first landing. Even after that everything else about it was just boring and uninteresting. I don't know what the first planet I landed on was. It gave me a clue to go to another planet and that's when I lost interest. I don't want to have to play follow the clue from place to place while needing to start back at the main planet every 20 mins.
Ahem, it's twenty TWO minutes *pushes glasses up*.

Supporters of the game, such as myself understand how incredible it is. It's not for everyone, I suppose, and I respect that. I also thought Inside was a fantastic experience, and there is basically no hand holding or direct exposition.

Maiden Voyage

Sep 5, 2014
USA

Supporters of the game, such as myself understand how incredible it is. It's not for everyone, I suppose, and I respect that. I also thought Inside was a fantastic experience, and there is basically no hand holding or direct exposition.
I abhorred Inside. I straight-up laughed out loud during the scene in the last few moments of that game. It was a colossal waste of time for me.

Reactions: TheMadMan007

Spring of Life

Formerly 'Loserwhosbetteroffdead'
Jul 7, 2019
I abhorred Inside. I straight-up laughed out loud during the scene in the last few moments of that game. It was a colossal waste of time for me.
I didn't dislike Inside, in fact I wanna say I liked it, but I get not liking it.

I'm personally just really tired of these video games that come out that do no fucking explaining of their story or universe, and then people will say it's "deep" or something because of it. To me it just means that they didn't bother doing a good job of explaining what the fuck just happened.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Fair enough. One of the reasons we come together to discuss our various likes, dislikes and differing opinions of games and their narrative.

I didn't dislike Inside, in fact I wanna say I liked it, but I get not liking it.

I'm personally just really tired of these video games that come out that do no fucking explaining of their story or universe, and then people will say it's "deep" or something because of it. To me it just means that they didn't bother doing a good job of explaining what the fuck just happened.
If you need a trail of breadcrumbs to lead you to the point of the story, I'd guess you don't enjoy 80% of books, movies or other media. I don't mean that in a hostile tone, but if you cannot form your own conclusion to some tales, you're kind of cutting yourself short of the intention therein.

Talk about a crazy couple of games in the NFL this weekend, am I right?

Ramagamma

Neo Member
Mar 22, 2017
Inside is an awful video game. It's 2 hours of babies first rudimentary platformer followed by 5 minutes of the most out of place and unengaging plot-twist. It's just not notable or interesting, some people say its the greatest game ever made. Nope.

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014

It has the issue of people saying "oh give it a few hours at least and you'll get it" well ok but I can also play something else that respects my time more and gets right into it. I suppose it may be fans overhyping and shitting on anyone that disagrees, but that's what I'm seeing.

Now I own the game from a mixer giveaway a few years ago and I have tried twice to get into it, but once I get the ship into orbit, I kinda lose interest as the guidance to go anywhere seems a little lacking, I'm not a big fan of "open world, do what you want, explore, were not telling you anything" kinda games but seeing how many awards this got I still wanna get further in when I get time.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
It has the issue of people saying "oh give it a few hours at least and you'll get it" well ok but I can also play something else that respects my time more and gets right into it. I suppose it may be fans overhyping and shitting on anyone that disagrees, but that's what I'm seeing.

Now I own the game from a mixer giveaway a few years ago and I have tried twice to get into it, but once I get the ship into orbit, I kinda lose interest as the guidance to go anywhere seems a little lacking, I'm not a big fan of "open world, do what you want, explore, were not telling you anything" kinda games but seeing how many awards this got I still wanna get further in when I get time.
Also fair enough. That's part of the enjoyment, I think, of media whether it be video games, music, movies whatever. We all have different interpretations and that helps create our unique takes on said media. I'm not trying to be some woke bro and slang around my praise for something with disregard, but I will voice my opinion. If something I, or others enjoy and it's not up your easy street, saul goodman. Only wanted to stoke the fires of conversation. I stated multiple times, Outer Wilds is not an experience for all, but those that enjoy it, seem to really enjoy it. That's cool too. Yeah the hype train has gotten a little silly since all the GOTY stuff across the web has come out, but I stand behind it being a fantastic game, far prior to the hype. I purchased it day one on PC as it immediately grabbed me as something I would enjoy, so take that for what it is.

And sure, Inside is slightly obtuse, especially if you're not one to question meaning or interpret plot and just want to jam on buttons to progress, However my experience, shared with another person I love, it just worked out to be a rad thing at the time. Enjoy your games however you can, that's the whole point. Or just play COD and hate on everyone over voice chat and ruin the world, that's fun too.

Maiden Voyage

Sep 5, 2014
USA
Take away the world resetting every 20 minutes, add in better puzzles and I think I would have fallen in love with the game. There are just too many downsides to the product as-is for it to actually be enjoyable. Thankfully I did not buy it. Game Pass has been great for me to check out some of these indies games I would have not played otherwise.

Reactions: BermudaDrain

BermudaDrain

Formerly 'PalmTreeCorpse'
Oct 5, 2019
Take away the world resetting every 20 minutes, add in better puzzles and I think I would have fallen in love with the game. There are just too many downsides to the product as-is for it to actually be enjoyable. Thankfully I did not buy it. Game Pass has been great for me to check out some of these indies games I would have not played otherwise.
Yeah, I felt the same. I finished it right before the GOTY podcasts as to avoid spoilers, but after all the hype it was really disappointing to me. The puzzles just aren't that great (mostly "find out which route you need to travel and then do it fast enough") and the overall story didn't hook me either. The Nomai texts were alright, but I would have preferred some good, living characters to interact with. I didn't mind the space travel though, felt kinda like "Kerbal light" and exploring the different planets was cool.

• Love
Reactions: Maiden Voyage

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014

How did you get the game a few years ago when it came out in May of 2019?

I do get where people don’t like it though. I’m the same way, I played it and once I realized it was Majora’s Mask, I pretty much quit out. I hate time limits in exploration games. I would like to try and go back to it at some point but I hated the couple hours I had with it. I can appreciate what the game did, but I didn’t think it was anything more than a decent indie game. Hearing people talk about it for GOTY like it was the greatest game they ever played was baffling.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Completely understand the criticism. Even endorse it.

Those of us that played it, got the "deep" meaning and all that crap. It's like taking your first/second bong rip, or dropping acid for the first time and the world just illuminates. Yeah, that's stupid to say, but it has a purpose. It's a moving game, and I myself am shocked I go to bat for it so much. I never do that. I dunno take it or leave it, it really doesn't matter. I thought The Last of Us was one of the most touching stories in a game I'd experienced in the last 20 years. Gameplay aside, I guess I'm more willing to overlook the flaws of the "game" and focus on the narrative and meaning more. But I'd rather play Tetris Effect for 8 hours given the chance. Just my crap in a can.

I also never played Majors Mask, or whatever, because I knew it was trash up front, So the comparison, while slightly relevant doesn't hit home with me.

Last edited:

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I also never played Majors Mask, or whatever, because I knew it was trash up front, So the comparison, while slightly relevant doesn't hit home with me.
Don't. It's such a bad Zelda game in every way shape and form. I'm convinced that anyone who "likes" that game is either lying because they never actually played it, or just likes bad things.

My wife and I have been playing every Zelda through since our honeymoon and Majora's Mask was so bad it took us two years to beat. We'd play it for like an hour and just hate it so much that we'd put it down for several months.

The game's clockwork system where everyone is at certain places on certain days and times is actually really neat. But the time mechanic, while novel, kills the game. It requires you to blow through the game at an accelerated pace and waste time in others. Instead of having fun exploring,you are forced to speed through each dungeon never taking the time to make sure you got everything. Did you start the dungeon a few minutes after the dawn of the first day and halfway through the temple now? Too bad, you just don't have enough time to complete it, get ready to be forced to restart the whole thing over. Need to fight the UFOs to get a bottle for faeries? Be prepared to literally just wait around for like 30 minutes of real world time and just let the game idle. Go make a sandwich, watch TV, take a shower and maybe you have killed enough time to pick up the controller and continue.

On top the the time mechanics and wasting your actual life, the music (which is one of the best parts about a Zelda game) is some of the worst,unpleasant, dissonance type of music I've ever heard in any game ever. Either the game just straight up reuses songs from Ocarina of Time, or uses new music that actually is painful to listen to. Using the incorrect notes to make a unejoyable melody where notes are strung together too tightly or not fast enough just highlights how bad of a game it is compared to every single other Zelda made. It's a bad game. Period. It's a stain on the legacy of the Zelda franchise and should be held in the same regard as the CDI versions.

Some will say that Termina is a depressing place where all the terrible music and ugly character fit with the motif or design of what the game is. And yes, if the game is trying to make something ugly and unpleasant where every moment is an agony that you wish would be wiped away with a moon colliding with a planet.... then yes, they made exactly that. But if you want a video game, filled with fun and excitement, where you can explore a world and enjoy every moment where your hands are griping the controller, then Majora's Mask is one of the worst AAA serious games, from a major publisher ever.

Last edited:

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Don't. It's such a bad Zelda game in every way shape and form. I'm convinced that anyone who "likes" that game is either lying because they never actually played it, or just likes bad things.

The best take away here, while I fully appreciate your entire message, "make a sandwich and play Ocarina of Time". I am so down with that.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
The best take away here, while I fully appreciate your entire message, "make a sandwich and play Ocarina of Time". I am so down with that.
No problem, I'm at work and have some downtime as I finished teaching and students are testing. I just felt like I needed to get that out. I have no problem if someone "likes" a bad game, like what you want. But be prepared to actually talk about why you like it. No one can actually do that with that game. It's just a bunch of wikipedia entries that people spout off instead of forming their own opinions. I played through Majora last year (finally) and did everything in it. It was a bad time, but we wanted to go through it. My wife liked it more than I did, but we both still don't think it is a good Zelda game.

Inviusx

Jan 4, 2016
Has their Youtube channel been COPPA'd? Comments have been disabled on their last few uploads....

eot

Apr 13, 2012

My wife and I have been playing every Zelda through since our honeymoon and Majora's Mask was so bad it took us two years to beat. We'd play it for like an hour and just hate it so much that we'd put it down for several months.
I haven't played MM, but Zelda is one of the few "protected" series that just gets away with shit other games don't. It's become more okay to criticize things now though, thankfully. I'm not gonna deny that Nintendo has put out some landmark games in that series, but I chuckle a bit when I'm reminded that Skyward Sword has a 93 on metacritic.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
I only think the modern Zelda's of worth are Link To The Past and Ocarina. Yeah BOTW was cool for what it did, but seriously, better than original Zelda, or To The Past? You're either 16 or have poor taste. Yeah, let the riots begin.

Edit: Actually I had a good time with Links Awakening on the GB.

Last edited:

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
And lastly, anyone that cares, Goof Of War PS4 is $6 on CDkeys. It's a pretty darn good time, if you're into the mashy mash with some cool background and story. At the cost of a coffee, it's a no brainer,

Later

Spukc

Jan 24, 2015
And lastly, anyone that cares, Goof Of War PS4 is $6 on CDkeys. It's a pretty darn good time, if you're into the mashy mash with some cool background and story. At the cost of a coffee, it's a no brainer,

Later
Just a heads up that this game is nothing like the old god of war games.

TexMex

Aug 30, 2019
I haven't played MM, but Zelda is one of the few "protected" series that just gets away with shit other games don't. It's become more okay to criticize things now though, thankfully. I'm not gonna deny that Nintendo has put out some landmark games in that series, but I chuckle a bit when I'm reminded that Skyward Sword has a 93 on metacritic.
I thought you were full of shit so I went to check and I’ll be god damned. I don’t even remember the critics liking it when it came out and it’s consistently spoken of next to Spirit Tracks as one of the worst Zelda games.

bender

Apr 12, 2010
I only think the modern Zelda's of worth are Link To The Past and Ocarina. Yeah BOTW was cool for what it did, but seriously, better than original Zelda, or To The Past? You're either 16 or have poor taste. Yeah, let the riots begin.

Edit: Actually I had a good time with Links Awakening on the GB.
A Link To The Past is one of my favorite games ever. Breath Of The Wild is the only 3D Zelda I've enjoyed. It's my favorite open world since Morrowind. Since I'm 41, I guess I have poor taste.

Rei no Otaku

Jul 4, 2008
Cranston, RI
We must have similar tastes. Both games were so disappointing to me. I do think a lot of it is the hyperbole that the media tends to use when talking about things. Go listen to Brad talk about Inside during GOTY. You'd think the game brought the dead back to life in front of his eyes instead of it being an ok platform/puzzle game with an out of nowhere twist at the end. Or Dan talking about how when he was describing Breath of the Wild to his wife there were tears streaming down his face. Maybe I'm just dead inside, but they always sound so ridiculous when they do shit like that.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I agree, it's insane how games media describes certain games. It's always an unachivable extreme. "This game literally cured my cancer and healed me!" or "This game is worse than mustard gas used in World War 1. It chopped my leg off for pressing start!"

I will say that there have been games that brought out a response in me that was unexpected. Playing No Man's Sky in VR last year was an honest joy that made me feel like a kid in certain ways. Exploring planets, and running away from predators and jumping in my ship and flying away with all the motion controls of throwing the throttle or slamming the cockpit open and closed... it's rad. Or when I get super attached to a character or story and something emotional happens, like in Witcher 3 where Geralt finally finds Ciri. When done right can make me well up with a couple tears. It's effective story telling. Like any form of media done well. But the difference is, that I can tell these experiences without being extremely hyperbolic. Which is something that games media can't/refuse to do. Everything is so extreme.

Aug 11, 2019

The game's clockwork system where everyone is at certain places on certain days and times is actually really neat. But the time mechanic, while novel, kills the game. It requires you to blow through the game at an accelerated pace and waste time in others. Instead of having fun exploring,you are forced to speed through each dungeon never taking the time to make sure you got everything. Did you start the dungeon a few minutes after the dawn of the first day and halfway through the temple now? Too bad, you just don't have enough time to complete it, get ready to be forced to restart the whole thing over. Need to fight the UFOs to get a bottle for faeries? Be prepared to literally just wait around for like 30 minutes of real world time and just let the game idle. Go make a sandwich, watch TV, take a shower and maybe you have killed enough time to pick up the controller and continue.

On top the the time mechanics and wasting your actual life, the music (which is one of the best parts about a Zelda game) is some of the worst,unpleasant, dissonance type of music I've ever heard in any game ever. Either the game just straight up reuses songs from Ocarina of Time, or uses new music that actually is painful to listen to. Using the incorrect notes to make a unejoyable melody where notes are strung together too tightly or not fast enough just highlights how bad of a game it is compared to every single other Zelda made. It's a bad game. Period. It's a stain on the legacy of the Zelda franchise and should be held in the same regard as the CDI versions.

Some will say that Termina is a depressing place where all the terrible music and ugly character fit with the motif or design of what the game is. And yes, if the game is trying to make something ugly and unpleasant where every moment is an agony that you wish would be wiped away with a moon colliding with a planet.... then yes, they made exactly that. But if you want a video game, filled with fun and excitement, where you can explore a world and enjoy every moment where your hands are griping the controller, then Majora's Mask is one of the worst AAA serious games, from a major publisher ever.
NAILED IT. I have tried to get into MM several times and I can't do it. You basically summed up my feelings about the game. It's my least favorite mainline Zelda game. I just don't get the love for it.

Cool concept, though

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Jeff is so salty about all the articles on Henry Cavill.
I'm at that part of the podcast now. Jeff really is coming off like a salty bitch about it.
He uses his website to make a stand because a game set in 15th century Bohemia doesn’t feature historically inaccurate black people and then loses his shit because some news articles mention that Henry Cavill plays video games.

What a dimwitted clown.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
A Link To The Past is one of my favorite games ever. Breath Of The Wild is the only 3D Zelda I've enjoyed. It's my favorite open world since Morrowind. Since I'm 41, I guess I have poor taste.
Hey respect to your opinion, including Morrowind and To The Past. Clearly you don't have poor taste, we just differ in opinion on a game. All good.

Also props to the over 40 club, nice to see more representation in modern game discussion.

Reactions: bender

bender

Apr 12, 2010
Hey respect to your opinion, including Morrowind and To The Past. Clearly you don't have poor taste, we just differ in opinion on a game. All good.

Also props to the over 40 club, nice to see more representation in modern game discussion.
I was just having fun with your words. I'm blonde and from Texas, so I have oodles of excuses for my lack of smarts. :p

• LOL

Dale-Gribble-

Jan 9, 2015
He uses his website to make a stand because a game set in 15th century Bohemia doesn’t feature historically inaccurate black people and then loses his shit because some news articles mention that Henry Cavill plays video games.

What a dimwitted clown.
Made a stand? lol
Of you mean this https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/02/giant-bomb-staff-refuse-cover-kingdom-come-deliverance-gamergate/52516/

"Gerstmann explained…

“It didn’t come up during the call-in show yesterday. Saw a few people talking about this off-site and thought it might come in the chat room.

“Anyway, a couple of us looked at it around the time it came out and didn’t find it interesting enough to pursue. The head guy’s shitty views certainly don’t help, but I doubt we’d have covered it either way.”"

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Yes, the dribbling dipshit made a statement about not covering it on his gaming podcast because “bad man bad but we don’t have the brains, courage or conviction to explain why”. That’s taking a stand.

Then he attempts to mock other publications for interviewing an actor and mentioning that said actor plays video games.

At this point, said interviewer has contributed more positives to the games industry than what Giant Bomb has done for the last 3 years.