• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
GB has turned into a bunch of protective PC cunts. Wait I can say it there be not there (hint it's not really a bad word). I'm sure someone will be upset over that, as well. Whatever, it's GB, land of no culture. But yes, it is depressing seeing how an empire has now fallen.

Ethanol is the shit corn syrup US gas is filled with to the 10% because companies hate giving customers what they want. Unless you're talking an E80/5 mix in your rig, then we're getting into an actual race spec setup. Otherwise, yeah that shit will make you blind if you drink it.

eot

Apr 13, 2012
GB has turned into a bunch of protective PC cunts. Wait I can say it there be not there (hint it's not really a bad word). I'm sure someone will be upset over that, as well. Whatever, it's GB, land of no culture. But yes, it is depressing seeing how an empire has now fallen.

Ethanol is the shit corn syrup US gas is filled with to the 10% because companies hate giving customers what they want. Unless you're talking an E80/5 mix in your rig, then we're getting into an actual race spec setup. Otherwise, yeah that shit will make you blind if you drink it.
Methanol makes you blind, ethanol is pure drinking alcohol

Reactions: ElKabong

rofif

Sep 13, 2019
Another gem from this QL, as their character is talking about alcoholic drinks..

Abby "Ethanol..is that in booze??"
Vinny "Errr...not...ummm....yes?"
Abby "Huh...."
Vinny "Ethanol... isn't that whats in moonshine?"
Alex "I don't know much about ethanol"

As we suspected, Dan was the smart one all along..
wtf is wrong with them...
It was the first ql I've watched in few months and I've survived 5 minutes

Jul 7, 2019
I was just browsing Youtube again recently, and came across Arlo's channel again. He's the blue puppet that talks about Nintendo games in case you don't remember who that is. Anyway, I was killing time at work last night, and was watching one of his videos, and I don't know much about the guy, but he mentioned at one point that he was doing a video and that he "had to work the next day" or something along those lines. I don't know if he's referring to his Youtube channel work, or if this guy has another job. He seemed popular enough that he could live on the youtube money he probably makes, but maybe not. I'm not sure how that whole world of income works.

My point is if this guy does have another full time, or heck even a part time job, that would really impress me. This guy isn't exactly lazy with his coverage, and he does long and thought out videos quite often. I watched a 40 minute review of Pokemon Sword and Shield just to kill time.

That brings me back to the subject of this thread...Giant Bomb. What. the. hell. How lazy are these guys really? Giant Bomb IS their job, it IS their primary source of income, and their quality and amount of their coverage fucking sucks. So much of it is just unscripted bull shit where they sit at the same desk, boot up a game, and press record. In the case of Arlo again, this guy obviously writes his material, records it, edits it, even has the time to play games long enough to review them AND possibly has another job on top of it. What the fuck is Giant Bomb's excuse?! Even if I am to assume that someone like Arlo doesn't completely run his channel alone, it sounds like his content is produced mostly by himself. Yet we got at least 8 people working full time at Giant Bomb, and they're a fucking joke. I just would love to hear them justify their laziness.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Which is exactly why they don’t ever address the “what do they do all day”. They don’t do anything and if they actually admitted it, they’d all be let go for being the lazy people they are. I’ve never seen such terrible work ethic from a professional work environment.

I loved Giant Bomb but I haven’t really watch much in the last two weeks and have been spending more time learning a new skill and watching stuff from people who work hard and appreciate the people who spend their free time watching their content.

Giant Bomb has really dropped the ball so much lately. I’ve lost a lot of respect for every single person there.... except for the ones that never had my respect to begin with.

Last edited:

VedderOA

Oct 10, 2018
Fl
That’s a lot of people bailing after Ryckert left.

I’m sure that move pushed over the majority of fence sitters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dross1984

bender

Apr 12, 2010
Not to counter the youtube stats as I do think they are telling, but aren't those views a fraction of what the site does using their own player?

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Not to counter the youtube stats as I do think they are telling, but aren't those views a fraction of what the site does using their own player?
Most of their non-premium content is hosted/embedded through Youtube even directly on their site. At least most of the Quicklooks and various others going back a few years appears to be. I believe they started incorporating Youtube hosting years ago when they were mucking around with the HTML5 player (which kind of stinks), maybe earlier - I cannot recall.

There is certainly GB hosted content and/or premium that isn't, obviously. Tough to get solid stats on any of that or viewership though so take it all with a grain of salt.

BibleBLACKED

Mar 20, 2017
Currently listening to the newest bombcast. No Ben, no Rorie and Jan hasn't talked about pokemon yet. A pleasent listening experience so far.

Reactions: TheMadMan007

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Huh... another Gaiden The Ring episode... without Dan seems weird, and it feels like it’s just now them playing through a fighting game now instead of some wrestling game. I never liked the Def Jam games even if it was the AKI engine holding it all together. Oh well, as long as abby is miserable. Which she sounds extremely upset that the focus isn’t on her. So hooray! I’ll actually watch something on Giant Bomb this week.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Interesting. In the Bombcast email section they implied that they may downsize their E3 production this year. They try to play it off as “we might not really need to send the whole team there” (because lol E3), but I reckon it’s more evidence of budgetary cuts.

I think it’s almost time to start the countdown clock on these chucklefucks. Time before they are merged into Gamespot. Counting.

brap

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2018
Interesting. In the Bombcast email section they implied that they may downsize their E3 production this year. They try to play it off as “we might not really need to send the whole team there” (because lol E3), but I reckon it’s more evidence of budgetary cuts.

I think it’s almost time to start the countdown clock on these chucklefucks. Time before they are merged into Gamespot. Counting.
I wonder if they're gonna hire anybody to replace Dan then. This will be the first time in years I won't watch their E3 shit. And how much you wanna bet Queen Nug still goes?

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
I wonder if they're gonna hire anybody to replace Dan then. This will be the first time in years I won't watch their E3 shit. And how much you wanna bet Queen Nug still goes?
Mike Mahardy is Dan’s replacement. On the podcast anyway. I don’t watch the videos, so have no idea if he is involved in those.

Yeah, she’ll go 100%. She’s immature and selfish enough to push for a spot. Vinny will probably fake an illness so she can take his spot. I’d laugh so hard if this came true.

Reactions: brap

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Watched the Gaiden The Ring they just posted - never watched one before. No Abby, good start, but Alex, Mahardy and Vinny. Have to say it's the first fun I've seen out of GB in a while. Basically just dick and shit jokes, which is fine to a degree, but more importantly no political BS, no screeching. Just the guys hanging out playing a stupid game, having fun. Remember that? Though Alex was absolutely looking to Abby for approval of damn near everything, even mutton chops on their character creator (LOL SO FUNNY), so I guess he's been Twizzlered by that ang mo kui (red haired devil) also, not that it's a surprise.

The doomsday clock on GB is still counting.

Reactions: BibleBLACKED

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019

That's all that needs to be said. Phil Spencer said that the new Xbox will be center stage at E3, especially because Sony dropped out. GB says, "naw, don't need to go see a new console release". We'll just sit at our stupid acrylic desk and watch a youtube stream of it. Now that's journalism. LA is basically down the road from them, hell, the crew used to drive there (with a stop at Del Taco). I've done the drive myself, it's not bad. They are on a slow demise, sadly.

brap

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2018
That's all that needs to be said. Phil Spencer said that the new Xbox will be center stage at E3, especially because Sony dropped out. GB says, "naw, don't need to go see a new console release". We'll just sit at our stupid acrylic desk and watch a youtube stream of it. Now that's journalism. LA is basically down the road from them, hell, the crew used to drive there (with a stop at Del Taco). I've done the drive myself, it's not bad. They are on a slow demise, sadly.
To be fair it's just xbox. I don't blame them for not being excited about gears, halo and forza.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
To be fair it's just xbox. I don't blame them for not being excited about gears, halo and forza.
Fair. But it is big news in the industry they are supposed experts in, and reporters of sorts for. So, bigger news than the next patch to Minecraft.

brap

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2018
Fair. But it is big news in the industry they are supposed experts in, and reporters of sorts for. So, bigger news than the next patch to Minecraft.
You're giving them too much credit. They're just a bunch of out of shape middle aged guys that don't care about games anymore and occasionally talk about them.

Reactions: Shinobitron

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
You do know that San Francisco isn't a just a hop skip and a jump away from LA right? It's not a terribly long drive (I've done it a ton of times too) but I wouldn't call it "Basically down the road" it's a over six hour drive, and that's with zero traffic... and here in Southern California there is ALWAYS traffic. And when we say traffic, it's bumper to bumper, the whole way with a solid minute break that speeds up to 60 and then slams the breaks back to 2mph, not some slowing down to a brisk 50mph with a sprinkling of cars like other states believe.

Either way, E3 hasn't been what it used to be for years now, its more consumer based than anything now. I've been going for over 10 years and I'm at the point where I'm not going to go anymore. Once they actually let the public in, it became a weird amalgamation of trying to be a business convention and also a fan convention. Mostly everything went to either "Behind closed doors/make appointments for mostly everything people care about" or "it's a crappy PAX ripoff with a ton of games that have been available for a year or two".

I don't blame them for not wanting to go anymore either. Heck, I don't and it's only an hour and 15 minute drive (again, with no traffic; with traffic, 2 and a half hours easy). But they need to just be honest and say "we don't want to go, it's not worth it anymore" instead of making up excuse after excuse. I think that is one of the main reasons I've turned on GB a lot lately. They just lie and falsely claim a bunch of stuff that isn't true, no true or genuine communication. Just some quick phrase they can say without actually saying anything at all.... Oh no, I feel a rant coming on. Ok, I'll shut up.

Reactions: DangerStepp

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
You do know that San Francisco isn't a just a hop skip and a jump away from LA right? It's not a terribly long drive (I've done it a ton of times too) but I wouldn't call it "Basically down the road" it's a over six hour drive, and that's with zero traffic... and here in Southern California there is ALWAYS traffic. And when we say traffic, it's bumper to bumper, the whole way with a solid minute break that speeds up to 60 and then slams the breaks back to 2mph, not some slowing down to a brisk 50mph with a sprinkling of cars like other states believe.

Either way, E3 hasn't been what it used to be for years now, its more consumer based than anything now. I've been going for over 10 years and I'm at the point where I'm not going to go anymore. Once they actually let the public in, it became a weird amalgamation of trying to be a business convention and also a fan convention. Mostly everything went to either "Behind closed doors/make appointments for mostly everything people care about" or "it's a crappy PAX ripoff with a ton of games that have been available for a year or two".

I don't blame them for not wanting to go anymore either. Heck, I don't and it's only an hour and 15 minute drive (again, with no traffic; with traffic, 2 and a half hours easy). But they need to just be honest and say "we don't want to go, it's not worth it anymore" instead of making up excuse after excuse. I think that is one of the main reasons I've turned on GB a lot lately. They just lie and falsely claim a bunch of stuff that isn't true, no true or genuine communication. Just some quick phrase they can say without actually saying anything at all.... Oh no, I feel a rant coming on. Ok, I'll shut up.

Well, yes I know the distance from SF to LA. Not like they are flying to Tokyo for TGS, or some other bank breaking event. My point was that they used to band together and do a road trip, and film some of it (you can look up the videos, back in the earlier days with Ryan, giving a behind the scenes peek at what they do). Or they spend the roughly $100-$150 RT flight cost to get there. And the stretch of the 5 till maybe about Bakersfield (~200mi) is just a wasteland, not much traffic there, but that's besides the point and irrelevant. I agree though, SoCal traffic is atrocious, SF isn't much better.

Additionally, I do not disagree with your assessment of the show, however the unveiling of a new console is a rather large deal in the industry. It simply shows that they are dialing back their coverage either due to budgetary concerns, or just being lazy and not caring as much. I suppose I see this year as an exception to an otherwise downtrend in giving a damn about E3. Just one less piece of content from them. I dunno about anyone else, but I enjoyed their post show bits with some of their friends like Lang, Vignocchi etc when they actually allowed some drinking and weren't Stiffy Stifferson's.

Also, cool you've been going to E3 for so long, must have been fun back in the day.

Edit: PS, feel free to rant. That's why we're here.

Last edited:

Ogrebushi

Neo Member
Jun 3, 2019
The podcast was great this week, actual uninterrupted discussion! We need a Ben version of this when his absence is confirmed.

I heartily second this recommendation that we get a benless one. I actually listened this week ... though that boner "chew" ad in the middle was "odd"
Hearing jeff talk about raging hardons etc was a bit odd outside of joke situations.
As far as the E3 talk goes, I dont think it even matters either way, considering i skipped all of last years after noticing it was more interviewing the "woke scolds" vs. the fun and games that were "the audience is taking this too far sending tasers"
Maybe that was the harbinger of the downfall that conversation of jeff being all "super srs this has gone too far" compared to it feels a younger jeff would have been "You stupid knuckleheads that was far" (while being able to hear the chuckling under his breathe at the absurdity)

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Well, yes I know the distance from SF to LA. Not like they are flying to Tokyo for TGS, or some other bank breaking event. My point was that they used to band together and do a road trip, and film some of it (you can look up the videos, back in the earlier days with Ryan, giving a behind the scenes peek at what they do). Or they spend the roughly $100-$150 RT flight cost to get there. And the stretch of the 5 till maybe about Bakersfield (~200mi) is just a wasteland, not much traffic there, but that's besides the point and irrelevant. I agree though, SoCal traffic is atrocious, SF isn't much better.

Additionally, I do not disagree with your assessment of the show, however the unveiling of a new console is a rather large deal in the industry. It simply shows that they are dialing back their coverage either due to budgetary concerns, or just being lazy and not caring as much. I suppose I see this year as an exception to an otherwise downtrend in giving a damn about E3. Just one less piece of content from them. I dunno about anyone else, but I enjoyed their post show bits with some of their friends like Lang, Vignocchi etc when they actually allowed some drinking and weren't Stiffy Stifferson's.

Also, cool you've been going to E3 for so long, must have been fun back in the day.

Edit: PS, feel free to rant. That's why we're here.
Yeah, the consoles is a big deal for sure. But even Sony, half of the console release, isn't even bothering. Microsoft is the only one going to be showing off new hardware. And they haven't been in the actual press event for years. They just sit and talk over a stream, which can be done anywhere. These press events have become something all together weird. Plants in the audience, celebrities, and showing off fake CGI trailers that have nothing to do with the game and that won't be released for years.... instead of showing off a solid chunk of game play for something that will be available later in the year.

And again, even the show is so much more locked down and less fun than it used to be. Yeah, it was a blast going before. I hung out and drank beer with Ken Levine under a huge Songbird back in 2011 (I believe it was 2011, because Infinite kept getting delayed) and told him how much I loved Bioshock and couldn't wait for Infinite. but around 2015 is when it really started changing and became something way less enjoyable.

The only part of E3 that really is worth it for GB to go is the Night Shows. Jeff does a great job interviewing people and we get a lot of great conversations from Devs.... when they take it to their friends or other journalists who are more interested in their "clout" than reporting on the show for their jobs is when I tune out. The Lang and Boyes and Vignocchi stuff was getting old and felt forced after a couple of years. I'm glad they axed it. But them doing what they did last year with that weird wrestler stuff.... it's like "Yes, we get it... you like wrestling and are friends with wrestlers!" Again, it felt like they were just trying too hard to be a comedy sketch show instead of a video game website talking to industry professionals and hanging out after a long show.

eot

Apr 13, 2012
Fucking dick pill ads lol

Maybe they'll do a pornhub premium promotion next. Oh wait, that'd actually be a step up. If I want dick pill ads I'll check my hotmail account, thanks.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
have they said whether the NY office is getting a new hire to replace Dan?
No, and they probably won't. Mahardy basically is without being officially with GB. Even Alex said yesterday, during the Gaiden the Ring that he basically replaced Dan.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Yeah, the consoles is a big deal for sure. But even Sony, half of the console release, isn't even bothering. Microsoft is the only one going to be showing off new hardware. And they haven't been in the actual press event for years. They just sit and talk over a stream, which can be done anywhere. These press events have become something all together weird. Plants in the audience, celebrities, and showing off fake CGI trailers that have nothing to do with the game and that won't be released for years.... instead of showing off a solid chunk of game play for something that will be available later in the year.

And again, even the show is so much more locked down and less fun than it used to be. Yeah, it was a blast going before. I hung out and drank beer with Ken Levine under a huge Songbird back in 2011 (I believe it was 2011, because Infinite kept getting delayed) and told him how much I loved Bioshock and couldn't wait for Infinite. but around 2015 is when it really started changing and became something way less enjoyable.

The only part of E3 that really is worth it for GB to go is the Night Shows. Jeff does a great job interviewing people and we get a lot of great conversations from Devs.... when they take it to their friends or other journalists who are more interested in their "clout" than reporting on the show for their jobs is when I tune out. The Lang and Boyes and Vignocchi stuff was getting old and felt forced after a couple of years. I'm glad they axed it. But them doing what they did last year with that weird wrestler stuff.... it's like "Yes, we get it... you like wrestling and are friends with wrestlers!" Again, it felt like they were just trying too hard to be a comedy sketch show instead of a video game website talking to industry professionals and hanging out after a long show.
There's no doubt E3 is on the decline, sadly. Another product of the internet I guess. Some of the more recent shows, eg the one LAAANAAA (Aisha Tyler) hosted, or some Bethesda stuff was just cringe inducing. To your point, it seems that most in the video game industry just don't get or understand how to make humor or "cool" look natural. Sometimes it works, more often it does not. One of the reasons I enjoyed "old" GB, because they didn't try too hard to ham it up, just fucked around like a group of dudes hanging out. Comedy happens spontaneously, and sometimes GB nailed it. Ben could learn a thing or twelve.

I get it's fair they don't see the need to have a large presence at the show (or others, like PAX) this year, it's just a bummer. No more Vinny sneaking into a camera shot, or drunk Danny ruining Langs interview, Kessler being weird and pissing off Lang or a shirtless drunk Greg Miller making an ass of himself. Or the aforementioned dev interviews. Maybe there will be, whatever.

And are you saying the Killzone 2 trailer was just CGI? Get outta town. Glad you got to enjoy the show a bit before it got all weird, though.

ElKabong

Sep 29, 2019
How lazy are these guys really? Giant Bomb IS their job, it IS their primary source of income, and their quality and amount of their coverage fucking sucks. So much of it is just unscripted bull shit where they sit at the same desk, boot up a game, and press record. In the case of Arlo again, this guy obviously writes his material, records it, edits it, even has the time to play games long enough to review them AND possibly has another job on top of it. What the fuck is Giant Bomb's excuse?! laziness.
Both coasts really enjoy blaming the video equipment. More specifically the famous "TriCaster". How many streams have there been where they cut 20 minutes from the final video because of technical incompetence (Vinny: "IT'S THE TRICASTER!!!"). It feels like it's been 10 years with every fucking stream there's some technical fuck-up. What the fuck are they doing? Why are they so incompetent? Why are they always having technical problems? Why is there always something wrong with their streams? I've never seen a media outlet always starting their videos with technical fuck-ups. It's so consistent with Giant Bomb East, I'm not sure what to think.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Both coasts really enjoy blaming the video equipment. More specifically the famous "TriCaster". How many streams have there been where they cut 20 minutes from the final video because of technical incompetence (Vinny: "IT'S THE TRICASTER!!!"). It feels like it's been 10 years with every fucking stream there's some technical fuck-up. What the fuck are they doing? Why are they so incompetent? Why are they always having technical problems? Why is there always something wrong with their streams? I've never seen a media outlet always starting their videos with technical fuck-ups. It's so consistent with Giant Bomb East, I'm not sure what to think.
Production isn't a cakewalk, but at the same time, it isn't as hard as they make it out to be. There is a reason the term "Turnkey editing bays" exist. I was in production for a while in the late 90's early 2000's, and it was WAY harder than it is now. Giant Bomb is trying to be that professional type with a single person who knows what they are doing (two if you count Drew, but he's been gone for years now) Their over-reliance on an antiquated piece of technology, such as the Tricaster is baffling.

Sure it can do "cool" transitions, and add some graphical elements to a stream, but so can any PC with some software at this point. What they are doing is keeping older professional tech because that is what separates them from any other Twitch streamer. They can point to their Production Room and say "look at all the cables and other pieces of tech we have... We're professionals". Vinny is the only one with real experience. Jason can't even wrap cables correctly, Jan is a glorified PA, and I'm not even going to mention the other, they don't deserve it.

Anyone with a bit of training and a budget with some gear can run a stream or record videos. They make it more complicated, like Vinny's video a couple months ago about redundancy (and look what happened literally like two days later), which is best practice, but a bit unnecessary if you can have a team doing their jobs properly.

It comes down to amateurs trying to do a professional's job. They are too proud at this point to admit they mostly are just doing "something" with their older pro equipment so CBSi doesn't catch on to their scam. They are journalists who want to be celebrities and entertainers (which typing that out, just made me realize that is pretty much all games media at this point). I'd be happy if every video was them with a single static shot of the group on the couch (screw that dumbass corporate sellout looking desk) and a video feed of the game. That's it. That's all they really need.

Last edited:

DangerStepp

Sep 14, 2007
It feels like things are picking up over at GB somewhat and they seem to be pumping the brakes on the annoying finger wagging crap.

See: Jeff discussing how he wants to play BMX XXX and definitely show the nudity no matter what , which turned into a segment where he pontificated playing old porn games and how to categorize them on the site.

Surprisingly refreshing deviation from their staunch, uppity attitudes they've had the last ~2 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: BibleBLACKED

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
It feels like things are picking up over at GB somewhat and they seem to be pumping the brakes on the annoying finger wagging crap.

See: Jeff discussing how he wants to play BMX XXX and definitely show the nudity no matter what , which turned into a segment where he pontificated playing old porn games and how to categorize them on the site.

Surprisingly refreshing deviation from their staunch, uppity attitudes they've had the last ~2 years.
That is good to hear. I haven't been paying attention to them much the last few weeks. Just stuff on in the background mostly. I know Jeff wrote about kinda being a bit shocked by the pushback and feedback on the GOTY stuff. They know there are major issues, and that really has been the first time in years they've acknowledge it.

It's weird they are so stuck on BMX XXX, that game sucked, it's really not all that relevant to the Tony Hawk games. Jeff has showed if off before on GB and even reviewed it for Gamespot back in the day. Several years ago they wouldn't even have batted an eye on showing off. Only one thing has changed... they now have someone on staff who will sue them for everything thing they got if the get offended.

It does seem, from the few things I have see the last couple weeks, that the attitudes of the group does seem better and less looking down their nose at everyone.