• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Personality Giant Bomb |OT2| Official Dan Fan Edition

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Missed that, got a link?
Sadly no, it was in their newsletter, that goes out once in an email and vanishes into the ether. They absolutely refuse to make it easy for their fans to actually follow anything they say or do. Instead they make people follow all of them on as many social medias as possible and if you aren't always look at everyone of them at all times, you'll miss it. Jeff's weird obsession of only using tumblr to interact with fans is really weird too.

Perish the thought of ever actually using their website to actually post updates about the site or how any community interaction. Go to one of the 5 unofficial forums to actually interact with other fans of the site.

Reactions: SamFo

eot

Apr 13, 2012
Sadly no, it was in their newsletter, that goes out once in an email and vanishes into the ether. They absolutely refuse to make it easy for their fans to actually follow anything they say or do. Instead they make people follow all of them on as many social medias as possible and if you aren't always look at everyone of them at all times, you'll miss it. Jeff's weird obsession of only using tumblr to interact with fans is really weird too.

Perish the thought of ever actually using their website to actually post updates about the site or how any community interaction. Go to one of the 5 unofficial forums to actually interact with other fans of the site.
Ah, well that's enough to find it

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Ah, well that's enough to find it

I see nothing in that indicating that he is trying to address the criticisms. At best he acknowledges that “some” exist.

Don’t get your hopes up for this BMX XXX thing either. That it may be a return to normal joking around. I predict it’ll be a ‘who can act the most disgusted’ competition amongst them with a large helping of snark.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I see nothing in that indicating that he is trying to address the criticisms. At best he acknowledges that “some” exist.

Don’t get your hopes up for this BMX XXX thing either. That it may be a return to normal joking around. I predict it’ll be a ‘who can act the most disgusted’ competition amongst them with a large helping of snark.
It's the ol "oh yeah... I guess we might have to possibly think about maybe having a discussion about the possibility of maybe changing something at some point in time" talk they do. It's a round about way of both acknowledging an issue without ever committing to bring forth change.

Again, I don't even know why they want to even play that game. It's a bad game and just is boring. The whole "oh look at how bad this game is" has never been enjoyable to me at all. Instead of wasting your life playing bad games, play good games instead. BMX XXX isn't even a offshoot of a Tony Hawk game, it's an offshoot of a Dave Mirra game because he wouldn't sign off on it.

They've spent more time playing other games than the mainline Tony Hawk games at this point. It's weird. I do kinda appreciate them going into all the other extreme sports games, but it always is a off the cuff, never planned out mess. If you are going to do something, do it right. Plan it out by playing all the games in chronological order and allow the audience to see the history behind these games. This isn't even something that has to take much time, just a quick little bit of planning. The whole show off a game for 5 minutes for some of those GBA games and such just seems like more of a waste of everyone's time than anything else. But again, this is GB we are talking about, no one could plan a proper event or show if they were forced to at gunpoint.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scopa

bender

Apr 12, 2010
I can understand wanting to change things up, but not every change is positive. Granted it will never be the same as being in the same room, but if you want an East/West discussion on games, you could do a monthly (or some other cadence) joint podcast to discuss those games while they are fresh on everyone's mind. Waiting for the end of the year as the advantage of having everyone in person and also gives everyone more time to have experienced said games, but going over a release list of every game the staff has played just doesn't make for interesting content. Say what you will about having silly categories, arguments, alliances and in-fighting but it made for interesting content that let staff personalities shine which is kind of the whole point of why GiantBomb exists in the first place. The recent changes dilute that. If you don't want to continue on with what has worked so well in the past, I think you need to blow it up and go with something totally out of left field.

So much of it is just unscripted bull shit where they sit at the same desk, boot up a game, and press record.
Not to nitpick, because GiantBomb's production quality certainly isn't up to the amount of human resource and money they've spent on it, but the site was always personality driven and most of their best content has been off-the-cuff.

Last edited:

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I can understand wanting to change things up, but not every change is positive. Granted it will never be the same as being in the same room, but if you want an East/West discussion on games, you could do a monthly (or some other cadence) joint podcast to discuss those games while they are fresh on everyone's mind. Waiting for the end of the year as the advantage of having everyone in person and also gives everyone more time to have experienced said games, but going over a release list of every game the staff has played just doesn't make for interesting content. Say what you will about having silly categories, arguments, alliances and in-fighting but it made for interesting content that let staff personalities shine which is kind of the whole point of why GiantBomb exists in the first place. The recent changes dilute that. If you don't want to continue on with what has worked so well in the past, I think you need to blow it up and go with something totally out of left field.
"going over a release list of every game the staff has played"
:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy: That's hilarious that you think they even remotely touched half of the games they talked about for 3 days straight. I'm almost certain most of them either booted a game up and play 10 minutes max, or more likely just watched youtube videos of those games on the plane out there.

I completely agree though. There is ZERO reason for them to wait an entire year and recap for the majority of a week. Anyone can just do a quick call in to a podcast and have great discussions. Heck, they themselves have done it on the rare occasion and it's actually a better podcast for it. They really need to get a swift kick in the pants to realize that everyone else around them has past them by. They are the downfall of themselves, being divas and refusing to do stuff out of spite (the whole Witcher 3 thing for example).

Reactions: Scopa

CharlieTuna

Neo Member
Nov 21, 2019
There's some hilarious stuff in that post from Jeff. Like, you don't want to talk about Hottest Mess, a segment very popular with your audience, because stuff in the Real World is worse? I thought that they whole point of videogames were escapism, and not only that, but that was ALWAYS the case, and only a enormous moron would take their "wow Anthem is the worst thing to happen this year" opinion to mean that it is THE ACTUAL worst thing to happen. But then again, a large portion of their internet bubble is composed of that type of dumb argument and people, some even work there. This whole industry just got so damn tiresome.

Jul 7, 2019
Not to nitpick, because GiantBomb's production quality certainly isn't up to the amount of human resource and money they've spent on it, but the site was always personality driven and most of their best content has been off-the-cuff.
I'll agree that some of their best stuff is that off script stuff, I'm just pointing out the scale of work that goes into their production as opposed to someone who does write their material ahead of time, and has to put together their stuff. That is definitely more time consuming.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
I’d wager my house that Giant Bomb East are friends with someone involved with the making of Kentucky Route Zero with the way they have been unabashedly shilling it for the past two weeks straight.

No doubt in my mind.

brap

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2018
I just noticed the GB Unarchived channel on youtube stopped uploading. The last video they put up was Dan's final mario party. Even the hardcore fans seem like they don't give a fuck anymore.

nosockson

Neo Member
Jan 27, 2020
I find myself exclusively watching old GB content these days. One of my favorites was the Deadly Premonition ER. I’ve seen the Vinny/Jeff run multiple times, but never the Brad/Ryan run, so I started it up. The first thing that comes out of Ryan’s mouth:

“You asked for it and now you’re gonna get it.”

Compare that to the ethos of modern day GB:

“You asked for it. Fuck you! We’re playing Nancy Drew!”

• LOL
Reactions: charlie_s123

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I’d wager my house that Giant Bomb East are friends with someone involved with the making of Kentucky Route Zero with the way they have been unabashedly shilling it for the past two weeks straight.

No doubt in my mind.
Why? Because only Alex has talked about playing it for only a couple minutes each time? Dude, you got some weird conspiracy theories. It's a game that has been in development for 7 years and just finally released it's last act on PC and finally just released fully on consoles. It's extremely topical, and right up the alley of someone like Alex and Vinny, who loves the Truck Sim games. I don't think it's far fetched for them to just want to talk about a game they like, especially when it's kinda the only game to really talk about so far this year. Man, what a bummer the first couple of months this year is already with pretty much zero games coming out.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Why? Because only Alex has talked about playing it for only a couple minutes each time? Dude, you got some weird conspiracy theories. It's a game that has been in development for 7 years and just finally released it's last act on PC and finally just released fully on consoles. It's extremely topical, and right up the alley of someone like Alex and Vinny, who loves the Truck Sim games. I don't think it's far fetched for them to just want to talk about a game they like, especially when it's kinda the only game to really talk about so far this year. Man, what a bummer the first couple of months this year is already with pretty much zero games coming out.
Dude, you can put your conspiracy labels away where they belong. I’ve been listening to these dimwits since day 1 and I know when they are shilling for a friend as opposed to genuinely enthused for a game. Also, it has been multiple that have shilled this game the last two weeks, not just Alex alone.

If you are going to try to refute me and disparage me at the same time, at least get your fucking facts straight.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Dude, you can put your conspiracy labels away where they belong. I’ve been listening to these dimwits since day 1 and I know when they are shilling for a friend as opposed to genuinely enthused for a game. Also, it has been multiple that have shilled this game the last two weeks, not just Alex alone.

If you are going to try to refute me and disparage me at the same time, at least get your fucking facts straight.
Man, you are out of nowhere hostile, calm down. We are just having a conversation. Anyways, I've been listening to them for almost as long as you, not since day one, but close to it. I don't understand how is talking enthusiastically and actually enjoying a game for once is "shilling". Brad talking about DOTA or Destiny for years on end is more of an example of shilling than anything Alex has said in the last two weeks. I have had the game since Act 1 came out but thought the game would be completed within a reasonable time frame, so I waited... and forgot. So I picked it up two nights ago and played through the first act finally. I really enjoy it. I spent a good chunk of time talking about how I was enjoying it with my wife... that's basically the same thing they are doing, and I'm not shilling. It's ok to like a game and really talk it up when it's in the zeitgeist and not be a shill.

brap

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2018

Remember when Alex shilled for Night In The Woods? It even made their fucking goty list. Alex was friends with people who made the game. The indie game industry is so incestuous it wouldn't surprise me if that's the reason they cover a majority of these shitty indie games.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Man, you are out of nowhere hostile, calm down. We are just having a conversation. Anyways, I've been listening to them for almost as long as you, not since day one, but close to it. I don't understand how is talking enthusiastically and actually enjoying a game for once is "shilling". Brad talking about DOTA or Destiny for years on end is more of an example of shilling than anything Alex has said in the last two weeks. I have had the game since Act 1 came out but thought the game would be completed within a reasonable time frame, so I waited... and forgot. So I picked it up two nights ago and played through the first act finally. I really enjoy it. I spent a good chunk of time talking about how I was enjoying it with my wife... that's basically the same thing they are doing, and I'm not shilling. It's ok to like a game and really talk it up when it's in the zeitgeist and not be a shill.
I’m sorry if you take offense, but I don’t like my opinion, which is based on years of experience, being waved away as a “conspiracy theory”.

It’s not simply that they are saying they like a game. It is the way they are doing it. I can pick up subtle differences. If I called out every second positive game conversation they have as shilling, then you might have a point. But, I don’t.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I’m sorry if you take offense, but I don’t like my opinion, which is based on years of experience, being waved away as a “conspiracy theory”.

It’s not simply that they are saying they like a game. It is the way they are doing it. I can pick up subtle differences. If I called out every second positive game conversation they have as shilling, then you might have a point. But, I don’t.
Fair enough. I'm not offended... that would be stupid, people can disagree about things without throwing hissy fits and being offended by everything.

As to Kentucky Route Zero, even if they were friends with the dev, that really doesn't factor into the discussion. They are friends with SuperGiant and talk about their games too and that's fine. KRZ seems like a pretty good game, seems like a game right up Alex's alley, and is something that a ton of people are finally getting around to, so it's worth discussing, especially since a ton of people close to Alex were telling him that he needs to play it because it seems like it's something that he would dig. I honestly don't see that as "shilling". I just finished listening to last week's Beastcast on the way home tonight about two hours ago, and all Alex said was "I finished it, it was great and it didn't end up as I thought it would." (pretty much, I'm don't remember what he said about some robot musicians or something). Again, that doesn't seem anywhere near "shilling" at all. Unless today's Beastcast was in some way something totally different.

If its the way they are talking about a game that is different, I maybe wasn't paying attention (Driving up a mountain in snow tends to make that the priority sometimes) Could you possibly elaborate on a subtle difference or maybe give a time stamp so I could listen to it again and understand where you are coming from?

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Fair enough. I'm not offended... that would be stupid, people can disagree about things without throwing hissy fits and being offended by everything.

As to Kentucky Route Zero, even if they were friends with the dev, that really doesn't factor into the discussion. They are friends with SuperGiant and talk about their games too and that's fine. KRZ seems like a pretty good game, seems like a game right up Alex's alley, and is something that a ton of people are finally getting around to, so it's worth discussing, especially since a ton of people close to Alex were telling him that he needs to play it because it seems like it's something that he would dig. I honestly don't see that as "shilling". I just finished listening to last week's Beastcast on the way home tonight about two hours ago, and all Alex said was "I finished it, it was great and it didn't end up as I thought it would." (pretty much, I'm don't remember what he said about some robot musicians or something). Again, that doesn't seem anywhere near "shilling" at all. Unless today's Beastcast was in some way something totally different.

If its the way they are talking about a game that is different, I maybe wasn't paying attention (Driving up a mountain in snow tends to make that the priority sometimes) Could you possibly elaborate on a subtle difference or maybe give a time stamp so I could listen to it again and understand where you are coming from?
You definitely weren’t paying attention. Listen to the entire podcast again and count how many times Alex or Vinny say “buy it” or “you should buy it”. It’s not just during the game’s discussion, but other places too.

Now compare that to how often they tell the audience directly to buy other games. It’s virtually never.

Reactions: donfonzie

userwhatwhat

Neo Member
Jan 31, 2020
The first episode of Kentucky Road Zero came out in 2013, the last 2020, and this is the first year GB has really acknowledged it. Those episodes have been reviewed favorably in American + European games press (outside of GB, of course). Seems interesting tactic to shill your friends game: first wait for nearly a decade for it to gather universally positive reception, and then join the crowd.

Jul 7, 2019
In this week's Fuck Abby segment, listening to the Beastcast talking about The Wonderful 101, Abby's response is "I don't know what that is!" -_-

HanBrolo

Banned
Feb 7, 2020
I really enjoyed replaying the first 4 episodes/interludes and the new final one for KR0, so I enjoyed them talking about it a fair amount. No opinion on whether they're shilling for it or not, and don't care as I just listen to podcasts to pass the time while driving and doing other boring shit. I don't give a shit about reviews and others opinions on things in general. I just care about becoming aware of games, movies etc. There's a ton of videos, gameplay information etc. out there these days so I can easily tell whether something is to my tastes or not. Game news, podcasts just help me identify things to do some research on.

That said, any "you should buy this" type of comments seem to be for smaller indie games--and maybe it is shilling sometimes when they're friends with the devs. At the same time, those are smaller games that can fly under the radar as they don't have the marketing budgets or brand recognition of the AAAs. They talked a lot about last year's COD, but there's no need for them to tell listeners to go out and buy it when it's already the best selling game most years it comes out with a good entry. Let those mega corporations shill their own game. I want pod casts to highlight smaller titles I wouldn't have checked out for myself otherwise, whether they're shilling for friend or not doesn't affect that for me. Just people who care about reviews as they get hung up on what other's think about something subjective like games. I couldn't care less if someone likes something I do or vice versa, and good reviews don't make me run out and buy a game. They make me go read up on what it's about, what it's like and to watch gameplay so I can decide for myself if it's up my alley.

Reactions: TheMadMan007

eot

Apr 13, 2012
I didn’t own a WiiU and I know what the Wonderful 101 is and could tell you some things about it. The point isn’t that one game though, the point is it’s every game. Just wait, when Half-Life Alyx comes out she won’t know who Alyx is.

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
I didn’t own a WiiU and I know what the Wonderful 101 is and could tell you some things about it. The point isn’t that one game though, the point is it’s every game. Just wait, when Half-Life Alyx comes out she won’t know who Alyx is.
Agreed. She's the worst possible person I can imagine for a job about video games. She doesn't know anything and anything that isn't a Nancy Drew game or Sims is met with "what's that?". She constantly lies about every game she talks about and listening to older beastcasts proves that. She contradicts herself every time she talks.

I have a WiiU but never played Wonderful 101 and I could tell you about it as well, and so could mostly anyone who even remotely pays attention to video games (especially someone in a job in the games media)

Sep 18, 2019
Upstate NY
Agreed. She's the worst possible person I can imagine for a job about video games. She doesn't know anything and anything that isn't a Nancy Drew game or Sims is met with "what's that?". She constantly lies about every game she talks about and listening to older beastcasts proves that. She contradicts herself every time she talks.
I don’t know, you know. This game has a pleasing aesthetic. It’s just like satisfying. Don’t @ me for my ignorance or shoe-horning my politics into it you sexist racist!

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Ha, looks like Vinny maybe was reading the forum? The newest newsletter Vinny addresses why they have the setup they do. This is what they should be doing with that newsletter. This one and Jeff’s feel like the first time they actually have tried to actually talk to their fan base in years.

YodaBB

Neo Member
Nov 19, 2019
I read that recent Vinny newsletter and no doubt, it is more complicated to record stuff with 2+ people compared to single streamers. But 2 out of 3 people in that office are supposed to be professional CBS video producers and as a company they've been producing essentially the same shit, using similar processes for 10+ years. And then he says
"I also built individual laptop recording setups with OBS so each staff member could record or stream their gameplay anytime they want"
... the hell? I notice he's done a couple of streams this year from home (xcom/satisfactory) and he did a few last year, but when was the last time Alex or Abby ever streamed on their many workfromhome days? Only time I can remember is Alexs rockband stuff which is once a year. I always assumed they didn't because they straight up didn't know how and were unwilling to learn (not that that would be a reasonble excuse for someone with their job titles).

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
Yeah, and Alex’s RockBand streams are from the office. Alex used to stream from his house exclusively before he was forced to show up to work at an office (before Vinny moved back to New York)

Rei no Otaku

Jul 4, 2008
Cranston, RI
I read that recent Vinny newsletter and no doubt, it is more complicated to record stuff with 2+ people compared to single streamers. But 2 out of 3 people in that office are supposed to be professional CBS video producers and as a company they've been producing essentially the same shit, using similar processes for 10+ years. And then he says ... the hell? I notice he's done a couple of streams this year from home (xcom/satisfactory) and he did a few last year, but when was the last time Alex or Abby ever streamed on their many workfromhome days? Only time I can remember is Alexs rockband stuff which is once a year. I always assumed they didn't because they straight up didn't know how and were unwilling to learn (not that that would be a reasonble excuse for someone with their job titles).

To be fair, Abby has done streams before. Mostly Red Dead Online, and usually just to her Twitch channel.

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
The Zombie Army 4 (basically Left 4 Dead) quick look had a couple of great moments. Hosted by none other than Abby, joined by Jeff, Vinny and Ben online, with Alex on the side. Such as, Ben using either a laptop microphone, or a tin can connected to a string while stammering out words that made no point. Abby saying "what's that" in reference to World War Z (book, movie, game). Everyone immediately leaving the lobby at the end of the QL saying nothing, while Abby takes offense.

Clearly no one but her liked the game (which she made sure was clear for 40 minutes) or wanted to do the QL (except for Ben with typical mild pandering).

Reactions: KingMoron

YodaBB

Neo Member
Nov 19, 2019
The Zombie Army 4 (basically Left 4 Dead) quick look had a couple of great moments. Hosted by none other than Abby, joined by Jeff, Vinny and Ben online, with Alex on the side. Such as, Ben using either a laptop microphone, or a tin can connected to a string while stammering out words that made no point. Abby saying "what's that" in reference to World War Z (book, movie, game). Everyone immediately leaving the lobby at the end of the QL saying nothing, while Abby takes offense.
Yeh, that was a "classic" one. Dunno why they needed 5 people to do a QL of such a dull, generic game. Could easily have been 2 or 3 people, then the other 2/3 people could have done a different QL. Bam, I just doubled your output GB. You can thank me later.

Abby said:
"So there is a stamina gauge.... err.... as well as a general health gauge. Stamina is for punching stuff and running! Whereas health...is obviously...health."

Reactions: Drunkenski

Drunkenski

Nov 19, 2019
Yeh, that was a "classic" one. Dunno why they needed 5 people to do a QL of such a dull, generic game. Could easily have been 2 or 3 people, then the other 2/3 people could have done a different QL. Bam, I just doubled your output GB. You can thank me later.
I thought stamina was for health and heath was for stamina. Glad we have experts explaining the layered systems.

They do crap like this because Abby threw a tantrum and they had to. It's pretty evident; Jeff especially really didn't want to be there. Meanwhile Ben craps out countless lame pixel art platformer QL's

They never did a quick look for MechWarrior 5, which came out months ago, just a couple minutes on an UPF. It's not the biggest release, but it's a fairly well loved franchise that hasn't seen any action in something like 8 years (edit: the last main franchise release, MW4, was in 2000). Maybe if you worked there you could slap em around a bit.

Oh well

Last edited:
Reactions: eot

TheMadMan007

May 15, 2014
How rad would it be if Giant Bomb hired people who actually like video games, and tried to experience more than a single genre of game? Or at least hire someone who isn't a raging self absorbed baby or someone who can speak clearly. Either of those would be fine by me.

I haven't really paid attention to much GB stuff as of the last month or so and it's actually refreshing branching out a bit and finding people who put time and effort into their hobbies.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

Jun 30, 2010
Earth
How rad would it be if Giant Bomb hired people who actually like video games, and tried to experience more than a single genre of game? Or at least hire someone who isn't a raging self absorbed baby or someone who can speak clearly. Either of those would be fine by me.

I haven't really paid attention to much GB stuff as of the last month or so and it's actually refreshing branching out a bit and finding people who put time and effort into their hobbies.
Jan is pretty decent considering he was hired primarily to do production work, he's already better than Jason.

SamFo

May 13, 2015
Is the function of Quick Looks to inform or entertain?

If to Inform - surely they should do better research, and provide more information.

If to entertain - why not cut them down and edit out any parts that aren't amusing.

Even though they are the primary video uploads of GB I must admit I haven't watched one in about a year.

Reactions: donfonzie
Jul 7, 2019
Is the function of Quick Looks to inform or entertain?

If to Inform - surely they should do better research, and provide more information.

If to entertain - why not cut them down and edit out any parts that aren't amusing.

Even though they are the primary video uploads of GB I must admit I haven't watched one in about a year.
The problem is, at one time they were entertaining throughout most of the videos in the past. When you had people like Ryan and Vinny bouncing off each other, or when Jeff had someone like Ryan or Vinny to bounce off. Even Brad could lighten up at one time because he was laughing his own butt off at how funny Vinny or Ryan or Jeff was. Now you have a staff who is either separated and working with others who are insufferable, and we're sadly just without Ryan anymore. Jeff just doesn't give a fuck about video games anymore. Brad is a lazy bastard and is surrounded by people who don't bring out the best in him. Vinny is being suffocated by SJW bull shit by being stuck with assholes like Alex and Abby, so he's not allowed to be his once silly and pervy self anymore.

Quick looks were once fine in their current format because of the dynamic that the staff once had, and the carefree nature of how they used to be. Politics had not destroyed the industry, so you had banter that was funny even if the game itself was mediocre. Sometimes they were informative, and funny. Now they are neither because the staff doesn't give a shit to do their jobs well anymore, and they're not allowed to be funny because they might offend someone.